PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Will the Chiefs regret not pushing harder for quarterback Matt Ryan?

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Will the Chiefs regret not pushing harder for quarterback Matt Ryan? (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/806617.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

ATLANTA | Nobody will get rich betting on the career fortunes of young quarterback Matt Ryan by using just two NFL games as a guide.

His Atlanta Falcons won their season-opener with Ryan throwing a 62-yard touchdown pass. But mainly he was just along for the ride. Ryan was asked to throw just 13 passes because the running game, which gained 318 yards, did most of the heavy lifting.

Ryan looked every bit the rookie last week, throwing two interceptions and seven incompletions before he connected with one of his own receivers.

Still, the Chiefs have to be looking at Ryan with some envy today when they play the Falcons at the Georgia Dome.

He’s far from a finished product, and the third pick in this year’s draft may never become a franchise quarterback. Yet the Chiefs have to think that Ryan would look good in one of their uniforms. He would fit in nicely with the Chiefs’ rebuilding program and provide some stability that’s lacking at the team’s most important position.

Today is the third game of the season, and Tyler Thigpen will be the Chiefs’ third starting quarterback. Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard are both injured.

At No. 5, the Chiefs were tantalizingly close to being in position to take Ryan in the draft. They wound up with defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and later in the first round picked offensive tackle Branden Albert.

The Chiefs would have had to be aggressive to get Ryan. He would have come at a cost that would have included the picks they used on Dorsey and Albert. That’s a stiff price for a team in need of so much.

“If you’re picking that high, you’re thinking about all players that fall in that category,” coach Herm Edwards said, acknowledging the Chiefs’ interest in Ryan. “We were in a situation where we needed a lot of positions. We needed (Dorsey and Albert) in that mix.

“(Ryan) would have been interesting sitting there. We ended up getting two good players who will be the foundation of this team who are starting. We’re happy with the guys we drafted. We like the young quarterback we have.”

But if Croyle eventually fails, the Chiefs could come to regret their decision not to pursue Ryan harder. The Falcons, in a rebuilding mode similar to that of the Chiefs, didn’t have a difficult decision.

“We went through our due diligence, but it was pretty evident that Matt Ryan was the direction we should go,” said Mike Smith, Atlanta’s rookie head coach. “As a defensive coach, I know that defending quarterbacks is the thing we have to do. This is a quarterback-driven league. Teams that historically win championships have a quarterback that’s operating efficiently.”

As Edwards indicated, the Chiefs like Croyle’s ability and potential, but they’ve also acknowledged he hasn’t earned the right to be their long-term starter. While they couldn’t have known he would be knocked out of the season-opener in New England because of a shoulder separation, they did know that his history with injuries made him a risk.

Croyle was driven from the lineup twice last year after taking over as the starter at midseason.

“They have to be sure Brodie Croyle is the guy if they’re going to pass on a quarterback,” said former Chiefs quarterback Rich Gannon, who as a CBS analyst called last week’s Chiefs-Raiders game. “I watched how he played in the New England game, and I liked what I saw. My concerns are what everybody else’s concerns are: He’s not a very big guy, and he keeps getting hurt.”

The Chiefs have other problems that neither Ryan nor any other quarterback can solve. Their pass blocking has been shaky and their running game unproductive, and their receivers have dropped many passes.

Then there’s the defense, which caved by allowing 300 rushing yards to the Raiders.

“If it was just one thing, you could say, ‘They’ve got to get the quarterback thing resolved.’ But it’s not just that,” Gannon said. “There’s a lot of newness going on that’s compounding everything.

“Certainly, you’d like to have more stability and experience and consistency at quarterback. But even if they had that, they’d still have some other issues. They need to fix those things before they start worrying about a quarterback.”

The Chiefs looked closely at Ryan, meeting with him at the combine, going to various predraft workouts and inviting him to Kansas City for a visit. It was enough that Ryan thought he might land here.

“I really enjoyed my visits with them. That was certainly a place that showed interest,” he said. “…You don’t know what to read into certain things. I really didn’t know what was going to happen.”

While the Chiefs would have considered drafting Ryan with the fifth pick, they weren’t about to trade up to get him. One reason was Croyle, who started six games last season.

The team lost all of them, but the Chiefs felt it wasn’t a fair evaluation given their many other offensive problems.

That, plus the fact they needed help at so many other positions, probably would have steered them away from Ryan. So, instead of building around a quarterback, the Chiefs may be building without one.

That goes against conventional NFL thinking. The Tennessee Titans drafted first Steve McNair and years later Vince Young with early first-round picks while Floyd Reese was their general manager.

“You hope you’re not going to be in a position to draft a franchise quarterback very often,” Reese said. “So if you’re not sure of what you have at that position, then that has to be the No. 1 position that you have to take care of.

“We always thought if you had the other 21 guys in place but not the quarterback, you couldn’t win it all. But if you had, say, 16 or 17 guys in place and one of them was the quarterback, you could. That’s the most important position in professional sports.”

McNair eventually led the Titans to a Super Bowl, where they almost upset the Rams. Young hasn’t worked out as well, so far.

“If you get everything else in place and you’re still playing without a (good) quarterback, your record is probably not going to be very good,” Reese said. “If you draft a quarterback then, you know it’s going to take him a year, two years or more to get going, and by that time you’ve gone through four or five years of desperation.

“That’s why we always thought if we were going to go through problems with a (young) quarterback, let’s do it with a young team so when the quarterback pulls through this, you’ll be ready to go.”

The start to Ryan’s season has been typical for a rookie. He’s completed less than half of his passes and has been sacked five times.

His passer efficiency rating is a paltry 60.0, only slightly better than Thigpen’s.

Eventually, the payoff could be huge. If so, it’ll be the Falcons reaping the benefits.

“I really like his intangibles, the things you can’t measure, things like: What he’s like in the huddle. How does he lead? What the other players think of him,” Reese said. “Those are things that make a quarterback, and you can’t measure them.

“He’s tremendously poised, very confident, very bright, has a great feel for the game. Physically, he’s not in the league with a guy like JaMarcus Russell. But he’s good enough in the physical part of it — the things you can measure like height and weight and arm strength — and he’s got so much of the intangibles.

“When you come across a guy like that and you need a quarterback, you’ve got to do whatever you can to go get him.”

RealSNR
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
No. Trading up to get Ryan at 3 would've been dumb

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
The same could be said of Aaron Rodgers instead of Derrick Johnson. Or pushing for Brady Quinn instead waiting to take Dwayne Bowe.

And on and on and on.

Another fine piece, Adam. :rolleyes:

DeezNutz
09-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Will the Chiefs regret not trying to develop their own franchise QB from 1990-2006? /Teicher/

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2008, 10:35 PM
It is absolutely retarded to think you trade up from the 5 spot for the 2nd coming of Jesus, let alone Matt Ryan. We got the consensus best pick in the draft from the 5 hole. Settle down Teicher you know better than this shit.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:38 PM
It is absolutely retarded to think you trade up from the 5 spot for the 2nd coming of Jesus, let alone Matt Ryan. We got the consensus best pick in the draft from the 5 hole. Settle down Teicher you know better than this shit.

But a QB is far and away the most important position.....Jacksonville had 2 pro bowl DT's what did it win them?

Deberg_1990
09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
HAHAHA...

I think Adam has been reading Chiefsplanet?? Specifically my posts??

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
HAHAHA...

I think Adam has been reading Chiefsplanet?? Specifically my posts??

I can't wait for draft time when I have to read numerous posts about how drafting a QB will cripple our team or he isn't worth it.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2008, 10:41 PM
But a QB is far and away the most important position.....Jacksonville had 2 pro bowl DT's what did it win them?

You thought we should trade up, or you're arguing for the sake of arguing? I'm not discounting the importance of a franchise QB, but you take what you can when you can. Ryan wasn't an option. You really would've traded up if you had the power? That surprises me.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
You thought we should trade up, or you're arguing for the sake of arguing? I'm not discounting the importance of a franchise QB, but you take what you can when you can. Ryan wasn't an option. You really would've traded up if you had the power? That surprises me.

Depends what they asked me for....

Some people get way to caught up in thinking the guy has to be Elway or Manning or they don't want him.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Depends what they asked me for....

Some people get way to caught up in thinking the guy has to be Elway or Manning or they don't want him.

BPA right? No one was better than Dorsey. I'm not disagreeing with you over a franchise QB, but I feel damn good about landing Dorsey at 5.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:45 PM
BPA right? No one was better than Dorsey. I'm not disagreeing with you over a franchise QB, but I feel damn good about landing Dorsey at 5.

Well to an extent yes but I also don't want to build my team to be the Jaguars or the 90's Chiefs.....

RealSNR
09-20-2008, 10:46 PM
But a QB is far and away the most important position.....Jacksonville had 2 pro bowl DT's what did it win them?How about Oakland? I STILL think it was retarded of them to take Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson, one of the best WR prospects in YEARS

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:48 PM
How about Oakland? I STILL think it was retarded of them to take Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson, one of the best WR prospects in YEARS

That's debatable, I was a huge fan of Calvin but at the same time what's a WR with no QB?

I think there is just alot of QB hate in general on this forum.

Deberg_1990
09-20-2008, 10:50 PM
That's debatable, I was a huge fan of Calvin but at the same time what's a WR with no QB?

I think there is just alot of QB hate in general on this forum.

I think a good QB will make other players around him alot better.

Brady never had a truly great WR until last year.

Your right Mecca....I cant believe how many Chiefs fans devalue the QB position??

Heck, its no coincidence that the downslide of this team began with Trent Greens injury.

RealSNR
09-20-2008, 10:52 PM

I think there is just alot of QB hate in general on this forum.You would have a point if Jamarcus Russell were a great QB prospect. I don't even know if Russell can be a Vince Young in this league

cdcox
09-20-2008, 10:53 PM
From where we are sitting now, it would not make sense to pay the price to jump up to get Ryan. However, if he turns out to be a franchise QB, then of course it would have been worth it.

Value of franchise QB = ∞

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:53 PM
You would have a point if Jamarcus Russell were a great QB prospect. I don't even know if Russell can be a Vince Young in this league

Guess what, if the Raiders hadn't taken him, the Lions would have. He was going in the top 2 picks.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 10:54 PM

Your right Mecca....I cant believe how many Chiefs fans devalue the QB position??

Heck, its no coincidence that the downslide of this team began with Trent Greens injury.

It's just hate in general, people hate Manning, Brady, Cutler.....then they rip on all the young QB's in the league, it's baffling at times.

milkman
09-20-2008, 10:55 PM

Personally, I think we (Chiefs fans in general) overrated Green a little.

His propensity for throwing stupid interceptions in the red zone was maddening, and the fact is, he succeeded because the O-Line was so superior.

But, we do, as a fan base, undervalue the QB position.

Deberg_1990
09-20-2008, 10:57 PM
It's just hate in general, people hate Manning, Brady, Cutler.....then they rip on all the young QB's in the league, it's baffling at times.

Its pure envy more than anything....

Ultra Peanut
09-20-2008, 11:00 PM
R
E
T
A
R
D
E
D
D
E
D
R
A
T
E
R

RealSNR
Guess what, if the Raiders hadn't taken him, the Lions would have. He was going in the top 2 picks.And the Lions ended up with the better player, in my opinion.

CosmicPal
With our offensive line the way it is now, we certainly would have turned Matt Ryan into David Carr.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Yeah, the team went from 10-6 to 9-7 without Green AND Roaf.

That was a HUGE downslide.

:rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Personally, I think we (Chiefs fans in general) overrated Green a little.

His propensity for throwing stupid interceptions in the red zone was maddening, and the fact is, he succeeded because the O-Line was so superior.

But, we do, as a fan base, undervalue the QB position.

Perhaps...I even feel that way as well, that he had a huge knack for throwing a bad INT.

But, he was an all around, solid QB, even top 10 for a few years. Plus for five years he never got injured.

I think Mecca mentioned it earlier, that alot of Chiefs fans only want to draft the "sure things" like Elway, Manning......but those type of talents only come along every 10 years or so. You shouldnt sit around and wait to draft the "perfect prospect". You will be waiting forever....

Chances are Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan are no future HoF'ers, but they will be solid QB's for 5-7 years for their franchises. Any team would be lucky to have that.

milkman
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM

I don't like Manning because his playoff performances have been anything but clutch.
I don't like Cutler because he's a Donkey.

I have no issue with Brady.

A great QB who plays great on the greatest stage.

RealSNR
09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
It's just hate in general, people hate Manning, Brady, Cutler.....then they rip on all the young QB's in the league, it's baffling at times.We've wanted our own for so long, but I don't think they hate young QBs in the league. Manning? They hate him because he's on TV every 5 minutes. Brady? I don't hate Brady. Probably because he has so many Super Bowls, not because he's young and talented.

Cutler? Do I have to answer that one?

So then what about guys like Trent Edwards, Vince Young, Matt Schaub, even Carson Palmer? I've never read any hate comments for these guys.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Perhaps...I even feel that way as well, that he had a huge knack for throwing a bad INT.

But, he was an all around, solid QB, even top 10 for a few years. Plus for five years he never got injured.

I think Mecca mentioned it earlier, that alot of Chiefs fans only want to draft the "sure things" like Elway, Manning......but those type of talents only come along every 10 years or so. You shouldnt sit around and wait to draft the "perfect prospect". You will be waiting forever....

Chances are Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan are no future HoF'ers, but they will be solid QB's for 5-7 years for their franchises. Any team would be lucky to have that.

I think that Rodgers will be more than just solid for the Packers.

As for Ryan, it's far too early in his career to be making any type of judgments.

RealSNR
09-20-2008, 11:05 PM

:rolleyes:Yep. And Green played like shit when he came back. I think we could have won more games in the regular season or even beat the Colts if we had Huard playing out the rest of the season.

Valiant
09-20-2008, 11:15 PM

And Cincinnati has Palmer, see what having an incomplete team does..

Mecca
09-20-2008, 11:20 PM
We've wanted our own for so long, but I don't think they hate young QBs in the league. Manning? They hate him because he's on TV every 5 minutes. Brady? I don't hate Brady. Probably because he has so many Super Bowls, not because he's young and talented.

Cutler? Do I have to answer that one?

So then what about guys like Trent Edwards, Vince Young, Matt Schaub, even Carson Palmer? I've never read any hate comments for these guys.

Dude last year I said I thought Trent Edwards was further in his curve than Croyle was and was developing faster and I got raked over the coals.

Then I got laughed at for saying Buffalo was a playoff team this year before the year started.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Dude last year I said I thought Trent Edwards was further in his curve than Croyle was and was developing faster and I got raked over the coals.

Then I got laughed at for saying Buffalo was a playoff team this year before the year started.

I just don't think too many people that visit this site are aware of other teams and their personnel.

Buffalo had a ton of injuries last year and still finished 7-9. They're going to give New England, especially without Tom Brady, a run for their money this year.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I just don't think too many people that visit this site are aware of other teams and their personnel.

Buffalo had a ton of injuries last year and still finished 7-9. They're going to give New England, especially without Tom Brady, a run for their money this year.

I listed Buffalo as a sure loss for the Chiefs and got ripped on "they suck to what makes them good?" "they aren't a playoff team are you nuts?"

I should go find that thread...

Basileus777
09-20-2008, 11:25 PM
This is ridiculous. To trade up to get Ryan we would probably would have had to give up our 2nd rounder. Would anyone really rather have Ryan instead of Dorsey + Flowers? And I actually liked Matt Ryan and wouldn't have minded if we took him at 5.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 11:27 PM
This is ridiculous. To trade up to get Ryan we would have had to given up at least our 2nd rounder. Would anyone really rather have Ryan instead of Dorsey + Flowers? And I actually liked Matt Ryan and wouldn't have minded if we took him at 5.

We'll really know in a few years because right now it looks like we could have traded our entire draft to move up for Cromartie and we'd have been better off.

cdcox
09-20-2008, 11:27 PM

:rolleyes:

The 9-7 team wasn't as good as its record.

The 10-6 team was better than its record.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
With Green, he was a good QB when everything was perfect, if he got pressure especially around his feet he made horrible throws because his arm was average at best. If he couldn't step he'd throw serious flutter balls. He also had a tendency to hold the ball to long, he got away with it behind the great line on most teams he wouldn't have...

cdcox
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
The 10-6 team was better than its record.

Except for that one stupid play called by Al Saunders inside the 10. And the fact that LJ couldn't even block Scott Fujita.

cdcox
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
With Green, he was a good QB when everything was perfect, if he got pressure especially around his feet he made horrible throws because his arm was average at best. If he couldn't step he'd throw serious flutter balls. He also had a tendency to hold the ball to long, he got away with it behind the great line on most teams he wouldn't have...

Everything you say is accurate.

Yet by FAR he is the 2nd best QB this team as ever had.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Except for that one stupid play called by Al Saunders inside the 10. And the fact that LJ couldn't even block Scott Fujita.

Atleast our offensive coaches were competent then now we don't have any competent coaches on either side.

milkman
09-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Everything you say is accurate.

Yet by FAR he is the 2nd best QB this team as ever had.

Which is just as pathetic, if not more, than our coaching history.

Man, we have sucked.

keg in kc
09-20-2008, 11:37 PM
If we're ever going to get a young quarterback, it would probably be wise to get some blockers for him.

cdcox
09-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Atleast our offensive coaches were competent then now we don't have any competent coaches on either side.

Other than Jarred Allen, how long has it been that a drafted player has ascended on this team? I like the progress that Tank and Turk are making, but in general this team does nothing to develop young talent.

cdcox
09-20-2008, 11:40 PM
If we're ever going to get a young quarterback, it would probably be wise to get some blockers and coaches for him.

made your post better

Mecca
09-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Other than Jarred Allen, how long has it been that a drafted player has ascended on this team? I like the progress that Tank and Turk are making, but in general this team does nothing to develop young talent.

You mean like how our 2006 draft looks like complete ass right now?

cdcox
09-20-2008, 11:47 PM
You mean like how our 2006 draft looks like complete ass right now?

That and DJ should be doing better given his raw talent. Not to mention we keep bringing in turckloads of FAIL at the MLB spot and no one ever gets better.
Sub-par after sub-par on the DL. Is Dorsey getting the coaching he needs to become a pro bowl DT? Any thing less for him would be a collosal failure.
Since Bryan Waters we have not developed a single OL.
Bowe came in hot but seems to be in a sophomore slump. What WR have we developed?

It just goes on and on.

The Bad Guy
09-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Who ever thinks that Derrick Johnson is anything more than a slightly above average player in this league is smoking some serious crack.

He has some big games, but generally he doesn't play smart at all.

The Bad Guy
09-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't criticize Dwayne Bowe at all.

The guy had a rough first game. It happens.

But he's the least of my worries.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Who ever thinks that Derrick Johnson is anything more than a slightly above average player in this league is smoking some serious crack.

He has some big games, but generally he doesn't play smart at all.

He makes a play then disappears for the rest of the game. He is not the pro bowl player some talk like he is....I will never ever forget that Keith Bulluck comparison just for how absurd it was.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Derrick Johnson is just another in a long line of Dick Vermeil reaches in the draft.

If Aaron Rodgers goes on to have a Pro Bowl season and a winning career, Dick Vermeil's tenure in Kansas City can be looked at as nothing more than an unmitigated failure.

IMO, it's very close to that as it stands.

The Bad Guy
09-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Derrick Johnson is just another in a long line of Dick Vermeil reaches in the draft.

If Aaron Rodgers goes on to have a Pro Bowl season and a winning career, Dick Vermeil's tenure in Kansas City can be looked at as nothing more than an unmitigated failure.

IMO, it's very close to that as it stands.

I don't think you can call him a reach. The guy basically fell into their laps.

However, I'd take Aaron Rogers now in a heartbeat over him.

keg in kc
09-21-2008, 12:52 AM
A reach would be taking Kawika Mitchell in the second. DJ wasn't a reach at all, even if he hasn't turned into Derrick Brooks.

I don't think Aaron Rogers would be the same QB here. No Brett Farve to tutor under, no GB line to protect him. Not that I wouldn't be happy to have him on the team...

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure any star player from elsewhere would be a star here, because it really is the ultimate team sport, and they're all products of the players around them, even the very best. We don't really have a whole lot to build around yet. So many holes.

morphius
09-21-2008, 12:53 AM
That and DJ should be doing better given his raw talent. Not to mention we keep bringing in turckloads of FAIL at the MLB spot and no one ever gets better.
Sub-par after sub-par on the DL. Is Dorsey getting the coaching he needs to become a pro bowl DT? Any thing less for him would be a collosal failure.
Since Bryan Waters we have not developed a single OL.
Bowe came in hot but seems to be in a sophomore slump. What WR have we developed?

It just goes on and on.
Heck, it is really late, but I have a damn time remembering anyone that got better while they were in KC.

okcchief
09-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Heck, it is really late, but I have a damn time remembering anyone that got better while they were in KC.

Preist Holmes

If you are talking draft pick then neither can i

chagrin
09-21-2008, 01:09 AM

True and what has having "franchise" QB's won for them? See, it goes both ways - way too easily.

EDIT: I admit, I just read your post and responded based upon what I know about Jacksonville and their history and past and present QB's; I have no idea how deep that debate went before then....carry on

keg in kc
09-21-2008, 01:19 AM
Heck, it is really late, but I have a damn time remembering anyone that got better while they were in KC.Nobody recent. Several from the 2002-2005 offense. Trent Green. Priest Holmes. Casey Wiegmann. Eddie Kennison, even, cast-off to 1000-yard receiver. Dante Hall, as a returner. Brian Waters and Tony Richardson blossomed here.

No surprise really that players became better individually as the unit grew more talented as a whole...

But since 2006? Nobody comes to mind.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Preist Holmes

If you are talking draft pick then neither can i

Priest Holmes was already a 1,000 yard rusher in part-time duty in Baltimore.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 02:07 AM
I don't think you can call him a reach. The guy basically fell into their laps.

However, I'd take Aaron Rogers now in a heartbeat over him.

Yes, but so did Aaron Rodgers.

He had a Top Ten grade but continued to free-fall.

If you'll recall, the Chiefs were torn between Thomas Davis and DJ, with Vermeil wanting Davis.

Face it: This team SUCKED in the draft under Vermeil.

luv
09-21-2008, 02:08 AM
I've never seen the point in the "what could have been" scenarios. We've goy what we got, so we need to focus on doing the best we can with it.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 02:09 AM
The Chiefs would have taken Thomas Davis over DJ and Rodgers if given the chance.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 02:11 AM
The Chiefs would have taken Thomas Davis over DJ and Rodgers if given the chance.

Exactly.

And that's also exactly why the Chiefs suck today.

An entire decade of shitty drafting.

I doubt that there's any team in the NFL that's done a worse job on draft day in the past decade than the Chiefs.

Hell, they drafted better under Jim Schaaf and Jack Stedman.

Red Dawg
09-21-2008, 07:26 AM
If we can get the top QB in the draft next year then we should.

Red Dawg
09-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Look at SB, DEN, IND, PITT, GB and CIN. Nough said. We need to pick a QB in the first round. We haven't done that since 83. We just happen to choose the wrong one.

The Bad Guy
09-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Yes, but so did Aaron Rodgers.

He had a Top Ten grade but continued to free-fall.

If you'll recall, the Chiefs were torn between Thomas Davis and DJ, with Vermeil wanting Davis.

Face it: This team SUCKED in the draft under Vermeil.

I'm not arguing at all that Vermeil ****ing licked it when it came to drafting.

I'm just saying that the Chiefs weren't going with anything but defense that draft. When DJ fell into their laps, it was a no brainer.

I think DJ could really flourish with proper coaching. It's a shame that we don't have that here.

The Bad Guy
09-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I've never seen the point in the "what could have been" scenarios. We've goy what we got, so we need to focus on doing the best we can with it.

When you've lost 10 in a row, haven't won a playoff game in almost 16 years, what could have beens are the only thing you can hold on to.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I wish we had Matt Ryan, Hell, I wish we had Ryan Leaf!

Programmer
09-21-2008, 07:42 AM
If we had traded up for any QB they would more than likely been in the same condition as Croyle and maybe after this game Thigpen.

We have a team that can't protect the QB and a HC that doesn't know how to apply an offense in the NFL.

Drafting a QB would have been an exercise in futility.

I find it amusing that the writers for the Star tend to be upbeat about the Chiefs when they are competitive but turn it to this team and they are down on everyone except the one person that has the most impact on the field. The HC. They need to be hammering him like a nail.

He has qualities that are worthwhile but recognition of his own shortcomings are the problem we have on this team.

If ever there was a team in the NFL that needed to be run by HC by committee, this is the one.

Programmer
09-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Exactly.

And that's also exactly why the Chiefs suck today.

An entire decade of shitty drafting.

I doubt that there's any team in the NFL that's done a worse job on draft day in the past decade than the Chiefs.

Hell, they drafted better under Jim Schaaf and Jack Stedman.

Care to check the makes and breaks in KC over those 10 years? Then compare the percentages with all of the other NFL teams. If you do that comparison you might be shocked to find that the Chiefs have not been as bad in the draft as you claim.

The shitty decisions in KC has been for HC's.

milkman
09-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Look at SB, DEN, IND, PITT, GB and CIN. Nough said. We need to pick a QB in the first round. We haven't done that since 83. We just happen to choose the wrong one.

The Bengals do nothing to support your point.

Carson Palmer might be a top 5 QB in this league, but so far, they've only been to the playoffs once in his 5 years, and in fact has been on a team that has pretty much sucked ass for the better part of those 5 years, and look to be sucking ass this year as well.

The Broncos,and Pack look to be in good shape, but to this point, you can't say they've yet done anything to support your argument either.

Bwana
09-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I think he is going to be a top QB, BUT, and here's a big but, you still need a coach that has a clue in order to use him, not to mention a line that can block for him. Our boy Herm would have him running the option and throwing 3 yard outs.

The Bad Guy
09-21-2008, 08:14 AM
If we had traded up for any QB they would more than likely been in the same condition as Croyle and maybe after this game Thigpen.

We have a team that can't protect the QB and a HC that doesn't know how to apply an offense in the NFL.

Drafting a QB would have been an exercise in futility.

So the Falcons offensive line is better?

Is that what you're telling me?

You could put the Chiefs 2003 line with Brodie Croyle and he'd still be a glass vagina.

Zouk
09-21-2008, 08:42 AM
From where we are sitting now, it would not make sense to pay the price to jump up to get Ryan. However, if he turns out to be a franchise QB, then of course it would have been worth it.

Value of franchise QB = ∞

Totally agree. I think new Falcons GM Tom Dimitroff knows that too, which means price of trading up also = infinty.

Brock
09-21-2008, 08:52 AM
They probably would have had to give up 3 or more of the players they ended up drafting to do this. No way.

Al Bundy
09-21-2008, 09:26 AM
If Matthew Stafford comes out and the Chiefs are the number 1 pick they are absolutely foolish to not take him with that number 1 pick... period.

evolve27
09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
If Matthew Stafford comes out and the Chiefs are the number 1 pick they are absolutely foolish to not take him with that number 1 pick... period.

Draft him and AJ Green so they can have a field day in the pros.

beach tribe
09-21-2008, 10:20 AM

the dolphins had Dan Marino for 15 yrs what did it win them?

I see what youre saying but i would take doesey over ryan. Sapp won a SB with Brad Johnson.

whoman69
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Dorsey is going to be a good pick eventually, if Herm isn't around. It doesn't matter who the QB is with the talent around him.

keg in kc
09-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Care to check the makes and breaks in KC over those 10 years? Then compare the percentages with all of the other NFL teams. If you do that comparison you might be shocked to find that the Chiefs have not been as bad in the draft as you claim.Yeah, KC has been just great in the draft. Right. It's all an illusion. Carl Peterson is the George W. Bush of the NFL. We should count our lucky stars he's been running this organization so well.

whoman69
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Care to check the makes and breaks in KC over those 10 years? Then compare the percentages with all of the other NFL teams. If you do that comparison you might be shocked to find that the Chiefs have not been as bad in the draft as you claim.

The shitty decisions in KC has been for HC's.

You may be right on first round picks, but overall in the first day we continually reach in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Those are players that you bring in to help your team, not just take a huge chance on someone you could have gotten two or three rounds later.

Smed1065
09-21-2008, 12:44 PM
2nd round master.

baiter's