PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2009 Draft

dtrain
09-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Our first 3 picks should be QB, MLB, and a RT!

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
bpa, bpa, bpa

(with a QB one of the first two picks)

dtrain
09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
bpa, bpa, bpa

(with a QB one of the first two picks)

I'm sure with as high as we will be picking we can get really good players at those positions

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm sure with as high as we will be picking we can get really good players at those positions

I'd hope so. but I'm sick of us trying to force a position when a better player is sitting there. BPA got us dorsey and albert. BPA got us derrick johnson, larry johnson (back when he was good, that is) and dwayne bowe.

BPA is what separates teams like the colts, steelers, pats, cowboys from.....us.

dtrain
09-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd hope so. but I'm sick of us trying to force a position when a better player is sitting there. BPA got us dorsey and albert. BPA got us derrick johnson, larry johnson (back when he was good, that is) and dwayne bowe.

BPA is what separates teams like the colts, steelers, pats, cowboys from.....us.

I agree just know that as high as we are picking good players will be available

aturnis
09-21-2008, 12:21 PM
bpa, bpa, bpa

I agree, but I think the Chiefs biggest needs are QB, MLB, WR.

I have all the confidence in the world Herbie Taylor can handle the RT position.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree just know that as high as we are picking good players will be available

it really comes down to the old debate. if you rank players on a 100 pt. scale (100 being highest)--there's a QB rated 90, a LT rated 95, a RB rated 97, and a DE rated 98, who do you take? obviously the DE-- we need a passrushing DE... and while we need a QB BADLY, you can probably get a comparable QB in the second round. RB obviously is devalued (and not considered), and LT is a close second (if you don't believe albert is the answer at LT).

anyway. we essentially agree. but, I just don't believe in putting 'this position here.' what if all of the good MLBs are gone in the second round, do you reach for one? what if there are not good RTs in the third? do you reach?

that's the problem. we've shown an ASTOUNDING ability to reach and get F'd in the A. that's one reason we're as horrible as we are. you get better by having an influx of young talent actually develop. for a LONG time, very little of our 'young talent' developed.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree, but I think the Chiefs biggest needs are QB, MLB, WR.

I have all the confidence in the world Herbie Taylor can handle the RT position.

I'll agree with that 100%. but, what if no good QBs declare or are worth the top pick? do you force it by reaching with the top pick and give some scrub 40 million guaranteed?

ILChief
09-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I'll agree with that 100%. but, what if no good QBs declare or are worth the top pick? do you force it by reaching with the top pick and give some scrub 40 million guaranteed?

Matt Stafford is worth the #1 pick. He's a senior. It SHOULD be a no brainer.

Tribal Warfare
09-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Junior

RustShack
09-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Oher #1 overall moving Alberts to his natural position that hes better at of LG then the veteran Waters to RG.

RustShack
09-21-2008, 12:40 PM

So any SR. QB is a no brainer 1st round pick?

Hydrae
09-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I love it, a draft thread before half time of the third game of the season.

Brock
09-21-2008, 12:42 PM
So any SR. QB is a no brainer 1st round pick?

He can't return for another year at Georgia I think is the point.

RustShack
Our whole Oline is bad, no its not just the right side. If we draft a QB I wouldn't even want him playing behind our line.

RustShack
He can't return for another year at Georgia I think is the point.

Well he can, even then I don't see what that has to do with anything... its not like he can go back to college after hes drafted...

dtrain
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Our whole Oline is bad, no its not just the right side. If we draft a QB I wouldn't even want him playing behind our line.

I believe you rebuild with the oline and dline because they can make everyone around them look better.

Brock
09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Well he can, even then I don't see what that has to do with anything... its not like he can go back to college after hes drafted...

He could decide not to come out at all, if he has another year of eligibility. Quit being obtuse...

Paniero
09-21-2008, 12:54 PM
OMG we're blowing the first pick. Stop f-ing scoring.

harpes
09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
1st pick should be coach, 2nd pick should GM and 3rd a DC.

dtrain
09-21-2008, 12:59 PM
1st pick should be coach, 2nd pick should GM and 3rd a DC.

100% Correct!

RustShack
09-21-2008, 01:31 PM
He could decide not to come out at all, if he has another year of eligibility. Quit being obtuse...

If he didn't come out then we couldn't draft him.. so I'm not really seeing what him being a Sr.(even though he isn't) has to do with anything. Why would you say now that we have to draft a SR. instead of seeing who actually comes out when the time comes and how everyone ranks up?

Brock
09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
If he didn't come out then we couldn't draft him.. so I'm not really seeing what him being a Sr.(even though he isn't) has to do with anything. Why would you say now that we have to draft a SR. instead of seeing who actually comes out when the time comes and how everyone ranks up?

Jesus Christ, never mind. It's obvious you're never going to get the point.

TrickyNicky
09-21-2008, 04:58 PM

The problem is that our coaches have decided Taylor is a backup LT. He can't be the starter at RT because there is no one if Albert goes down.

Halfcan
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Cheaps will trade down for a cheaper-value based pick. The ownership has let this team down-and until that changes-the Cheaps will still be a laughing stock.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Oher #1 overall moving Alberts to his natural position that hes better at of LG then the veteran Waters to RG.

I could live with that. Yessir!

chiefs1111
09-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Carl will trade our 1st pick away for a bag of footballs and a blocking sled......

Frankie
09-21-2008, 06:10 PM

I disagree. We need help on the right side. Maybe center as well. I'm not too impressed with Niswanger.

CosmicPal
09-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Have the Chiefs ever had the very first pick in the draft?

GoTrav
09-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Stafford has done nothing to impress me. I've been watching Stafford and Painter and trying to make a case for them to be drafted with what is looking like a top 3 pick and I just don't see it. Any of the current crop of QB's seems to be a reach inside the top 5. I think equal value could be had later in the draft at the QB spot. If the next QB we draft is going to be something we have to live with for the next 5+ years, I'd rather we get it right. I like one of the tackles for our pick.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Stafford has done nothing to impress me.

Then you're either ignorant or can't be impressed.

GoTrav
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Ok. He's 24th in passing and currently on an overranked Georgia team that doesn't deserve the #3 spot they currently hold. Why don't you make a case for his stellar talent? You're desperate.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Ok. He's 24th in passing and currently on an overranked Georgia team that doesn't deserve the #3 spot they currently hold. Why don't you make a case for his stellar talent? You're desperate.

You're damn right I'm desperate and any Chiefs fan/player/coach/GM should be as well. I've watched three weeks of Croyle getting hurt/Huard ducking and covering/Thigpen doing god knows what. Stafford has a strong arm like Croyle but has the bulk to take a pounding unlike Croyle. He also puts nice touch on his passes. He's been playing in a pro-style offense.

He's pretty much the prototypical NFL passer.

aturnis
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Hell no, I think, depending on where we draft, we take bpa, trade down, or take Rey Maualuga.

aturnis
09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree Croyle has been hurt a bit too much. I'll argue though that that hit would have hurt any QB. His arm was pinned and ALL his weight came down right on his shoulder.

philfree
09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I love it, a draft thread before half time of the third game of the season.

This place will be golden if we have the first pick in the 2009 draft.

PhilFree:arrow:

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Hell no, I think, depending on where we draft, we take bpa, trade down, or take Rey Maualuga.

exactly.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 07:32 PM
As long as we dont take Stafford or Tebow. Bradford or Sanchez are the quarterbacks we need to target.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 07:32 PM
exactly.

Great and we'll never have a legit QB.

Enjoy Thigpen coming in for the injured Croyle. Maybe we can sign Jeff Garcia or Byron Leftwich.

God forbid we ever draft a stud QB and build the damn franchise around him.

But hey, we'll have a good middle linebacker.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
As long as we dont take Stafford or Tebow. Bradford or Sanchez are the quarterbacks we need to target.

Stafford is legit. If he's there when we pick, we should take about half a second to turn in our card with his name on it.

GoTrav
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Stafford is legit. If he's there when we pick, we should take about half a second to turn in our card with his name on it.

And who won't be there when we pick? Be practical. He's not of the caliber of a Matt Ryan and he's not worth the spot we'd have to draft him.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 07:36 PM
And who won't be there when we pick? Be practical. He's not of the caliber of a Matt Ryan and he's not worth the spot we'd have to draft him.

He's every bit the caliber of Matt Ryan. He's should go top 5 easy.

Tribal Warfare

Really? Why because he has a big arm but has average accuracy and reading capabilities? BPA as of now it's Oher

ChiefsCountry

Dude he has the body and the arm thats it. He is not as good as everybody is making him out to be. I wasnt a fan of Matt Ryan, and I would rather draft him than Matt Stafford.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:37 PM

About 80% of this forum hated Matt Ryan and was completely against drafting him...

milkman
09-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Really? Why because he has a big arm but has average accuracy and reading capabilities? BPA as of now it's Oher

Saw this post coming from a mile away.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
About 80% of this forum hated Matt Ryan and was completely against drafting him...

I'm on that wagon, but I would rather have Matt Ryan than Matt Stafford.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Dude he has the body and the arm thats it. He is not as good as everybody is making him out to be. I wasnt a fan of Matt Ryan, and I would rather draft him than Matt Stafford.

Then what do you suggest we do at QB? Our plan at QB for the last 20 years has been dogsh!t at best.

I'm sick of Grbac/Bono/Green castoffs.

Give us a stud QB and we can get by with a 2nd or 3rd round middle linebacker and right tackle

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Saw this post coming from a mile away.

Obviously we can never draft a QB unless it's Peyton Manning, it's the same as what happened with Ryan last year, at this rate we'll never get a QB.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Then what do you suggest we do at QB? Our plan at QB for the last 20 years has been dogsh!t at best.

Give us a stud QB and we can get by with a 2nd or 3rd round middle linebacker and right tackle

See my signature.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Obviously we can never draft a QB unless it's Peyton Manning, it's the same as what happened with Ryan last year, at this rate we'll never get a QB.

Come on Mecca we had a good conversation about this other night.

ILChief

Exactly. The hope is that you're not drafting in the top 5 very often. When you do, go get the guy that you can build the franchise around if you have the chance.

ILChief
See my signature.

damn it, i'm in At work mode. Whats your sig?

Tribal Warfare

The cat I like is Bradford, and yes I'm selective about top 3-5 picks if it was top 10-15 value, I'd snag Stafford.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:44 PM

That was hypothetical because you know why?

If you drafted well odds are even with no QB you'd atleast not finish with the worst record thus killing your chances at the QB.

GoTrav
09-21-2008, 07:44 PM

We draft one. High, but not top 3 1st round high in 09 with what is currently on the radar. I don't think there is much of a drop off from Stafford to what could be had with our high 2nd round pick.

Tribal Warfare
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM

in one ear out the other

Mecca
The cat I like is Bradford, and yes I'm selective about top 3-5 picks if it was top 10-15 value, I'd snag Stafford.

And odds are he isn't coming out.....you can't just sit here and pretend the Chiefs are going to pick #1 overall 3 years in a row.

ChiefsCountry
damn it, i'm in At work mode. Whats your sig?

I have Bradford in it.

Mecca
We draft one. High, but not top 3 1st round high in 09 with what is currently on the radar. I don't think there is much of a drop off from Stafford to what could be had with our high 2nd round pick.

Oh yea, there's a significant drop off you should look at the other QB's.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I have Bradford in it.

I've read alot of things that implied they'd be stunned if Bradford left early at all let alone 2 years early, so do you just wanna sit here and hope we have the top pick in the draft 3 years in a row?

Tribal Warfare
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
And odds are he isn't coming out.....you can't just sit here and pretend the Chiefs are going to pick #1 overall 3 years in a row.

pretend? hell next year we'll talk about top 5 prospects again, because of KC's record

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh yea, there's a significant drop off you should look at the other QB's.

Stafford, Cullen Harper and Matt Painter and maybe Tebow. Stafford has the better arm and body but thats about it. I like Harper better than Stafford.

ILChief
I have Bradford in it.

I'd be fine with Bradford but I doubt he'll come out. We can't put off getting our QB another year. we need "the guy" going into next season. Let him take his lumps next year and we can compete for a playoff spot in 2010.

Mecca
pretend? hell next year we'll talk about top 5 prospects again, because of KC's record

And if you're 3rd and not 1st you just missed the QB.....that's my point. The odds of drafting well years in a row and not improving aren't good.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Matt Stafford isnt the guy.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Matt Stafford isnt the guy.

We're never gonna have a guy because I guarantee you if they draft well again they'll win 4 games and pick 4th or 5th where they won't sniff a QB.

Tribal Warfare
09-21-2008, 07:49 PM
And if you're 3rd and not 1st you just missed the QB.....that's my point. The odds of drafting well years in a row and not improving aren't good.

AAah yes the savior 1st round QB, and you even said this years crop sucks balls when you were pimping Ryan.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Great and we'll never have a legit QB.

Enjoy Thigpen coming in for the injured Croyle. Maybe we can sign Jeff Garcia or Byron Leftwich.

God forbid we ever draft a stud QB and build the damn franchise around him.

But hey, we'll have a good middle linebacker.

do you have reading comprehension skills? because NOWHERE did I say we don't take the QB if he isn't worth the pick. QB is a premium position. but, if there isn't a QB that's worth the pick, you either trade down or pick the best player where you ARE picking.

jesus. it's not difficult.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
AAah yes the savior 1st round QB, and you even said this years crop sucks balls when you were pimping Ryan.

It sucked balls as far as looking at senior QB prospects which is all I looked at, I'm not going to project Sophomores at that point.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM

do you have reading comprehension skills? because NOWHERE did I say we don't take the QB if he isn't worth the pick. QB is a premium position. but, if there isn't a QB that's worth the pick, you either trade down or pick the best player where you ARE picking.

jesus. it's not difficult.

If the Chiefs don't take Stafford the team with the 2nd pick will, unless it's Atlanta or the Raiders.

GoTrav
09-21-2008, 07:54 PM
It sucked balls as far as looking at senior QB prospects which is all I looked at, I'm not going to project Sophomores at that point.

what other NFL teams will be looking at QB next year? Detroit, Minnesota, Jets?

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
If the Chiefs don't take Stafford the team with the 2nd pick will, unless it's Atlanta or the Raiders.

that's assuming stafford comes out.

I'm on record saying I'd like stafford. I'd also like bradford coming out. what if freeman comes out? he'd be acceptable.

look--I've always been a fan of drafting a QB in the first round. I wanted us to draft joey harrington when we got ryan sims. I wanted byron leftwich the year he came out. but, it's rather obvious that we really need to do our homework when we roll the dice on the QB. our front office has shown that they shouldn't be trusted to really roll the dice on a QB. we need to make sure the QB is worth the pick--in all honesty, if no QB separates himself from the rest of the 2009 qb class (and none of the underclassmen come out--at least one will), you have to go BPA and not force things.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
what other NFL teams will be looking at QB next year? Detroit, Minnesota, Jets?

If Detroit is in the top 5 absolutely, Minnesota sure but they won't be THAT bad...the Rams could but they'd probably take one of the OT's.

Chiefs, Lions.....49ers could but it looks like they'll win a few more games.

Tribal Warfare
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM

like I said you're contradicting yourself concerning the value of this year QB prospects. Hell, I remember it so easily about you going on and on about Ryan, and you retorting that Tebow sucks because of the spread he runs, and how Stafford will be over hyped because of the talent surrounding him.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:57 PM
that's assuming stafford comes out.

I'm on record saying I'd like stafford. I'd also like bradford coming out. what if freeman comes out? he'd be acceptable.

look--I've always been a fan of drafting a QB in the first round. I wanted us to draft joey harrington when we got ryan sims. I wanted byron leftwich the year he came out. but, it's rather obvious that we really need to do our homework when we roll the dice on the QB. our front office has shown that they shouldn't be trusted to really roll the dice on a QB. we need to make sure the QB is worth the pick--in all honesty, if no QB separates himself from the rest of the 2009 qb class (and none of the underclassmen come out--at least one will), you have to go BPA and not force things.

At this point Stafford is the only one I think is coming out...I don't think Sanchez or Bradford or Freeman will.

I just really hate this waiting idea because frankly the odds of having the #1 pick 2 years in a row is slim and none and you won't get the top QB without the 1st pick.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
like I said you're contradicting yourself concerning the value of this year QB prospects. Hell, I remember it so easily about you going on and on about Ryan, and you retorting that Tebow sucks because of the spread he runs, and how Stafford will be over hyped because of the talent surrounding him.

Tebow does suck....but when you talk about the 2008 draft I can't sit there and go "this guy and this guy will come out" because no one knows that.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:00 PM
At this point Stafford is the only one I think is coming out...I don't think Sanchez or Bradford or Freeman will.

I just really hate this waiting idea because frankly the odds of having the #1 pick 2 years in a row is slim and none and you won't get the top QB without the 1st pick.

but what if stafford doesn't come out? is painter worth the top pick? is cullen harper worth the top pick? how about (ROFL) chase daniel?

that's exactly my point. it's so in flux right now that until we find out who declares, it HAS to be BPA--I do NOT want us giving some scrub 40 million guaranteed.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
but what if stafford doesn't come out? is painter worth the top pick? is cullen harper worth the top pick? how about (ROFL) chase daniel?

that's exactly my point. it's so in flux right now that until we find out who declares, it HAS to be BPA--I do NOT want us giving some scrub 40 million guaranteed.

Then we're ****ed.....we end up as the 49ers the year Leinart didn't come out. Then we basically end up as the team with no QB because 2 good drafts in a row would likely make us shitty but not #1 pick shitty.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Why the personal attack? The fact is Stafford has not lived to the hype so far this season.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Why the personal attack? The fact is Stafford has not lived to the hype so far this season.

What exactly are you wanting Chase Daniel stats....there is a difference in scouting and projecting to the NFL and gaudy stats.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Then we're ****ed.....we end up as the 49ers the year Leinart didn't come out. Then we basically end up as the team with no QB because 2 good drafts in a row would likely make us shitty but not #1 pick shitty.

I would be giving Arizona a call if that happens.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I would be giving Arizona a call if that happens.

For what reason?

Arizona is probably going to win 8-10 games you lookin to drop 20 spots?

the Talking Can
09-21-2008, 08:10 PM

well, we are the chiefs...

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM

agreed. hope for the best, I guess.

I have the feeling that stafford will come out, though.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:14 PM
agreed. hope for the best, I guess.

I have the feeling that stafford will come out, though.

I'd say 99% chance he's coming out....I'd put Sanchez and Bradford below 50 though...

No matter who's in the draft atleast half this forum will not want the QB and say it's a bad idea.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:15 PM
For what reason?

Arizona is probably going to win 8-10 games you lookin to drop 20 spots?

To get Leinart.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:16 PM
To get Leinart.

Well I couldn't imagine the freak out this forum would do over that.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I'd say 99% chance he's coming out....I'd put Sanchez and Bradford below 50 though...

No matter who's in the draft atleast half this forum will not want the QB and say it's a bad idea.

to a certain extent, I KINDA see their point. this team hasn't EVER developed a QB (to a certain point, len dawson wasn't technically developed by us)--

but--you HAVE to start somewhere. for a rebuild to succeed, you HAVE to have a QB to grow with your team. croyle isn't that guy. thigpen isn't that guy. huard SURE AS HELL isn't that guy. is ingle martin? I kinda doubt it.

it's risk/reward. if the QB pans out? you're one of the better teams in the league (bengals notwithstanding--palmer is wasting away there). if it doesn't? you've wasted a few years and have to draft another one.

we're ALREADY shitty. we may as well roll the dice if stafford comes out.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Yea the cripple your franchise thing makes no sense here, when you're picking 1st and you're this team, it's already crippled.

the Talking Can
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
in typical chiefs fashion, when we finally chose to rebuild - 10 years too late - it is at the worst possible time, in terms of drafting a QB, and with the worst possible coach (imo)...

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Well I couldn't imagine the freak out this forum would do over that.

Most of that is bc most people hate you for some odd reason.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:21 PM
in typical chiefs fashion, when we finally chose to rebuild - 10 years too late - it is at the worst possible time, in terms of drafting a QB, and with the worst possible coach (imo)...

Lets hope that if we're so bad to pick 1st that coach is fired.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Yea the cripple your franchise thing makes no sense here, when you're picking 1st and you're this team, it's already crippled.

just another excuse people make to not roll the dice. it makes sense, I guess. it's the carl peterson school of fandom. perpetually do well enough to 'not suck,' not have to don the paper bags, yet never put in the risk that you HAVE to put in to be a great team.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
just another excuse people make to not roll the dice. it makes sense, I guess. it's the carl peterson school of fandom. perpetually do well enough to 'not suck,' not have to don the paper bags, yet never put in the risk that you HAVE to put in to be a great team.

That's what it is, Hooting was crowing the other day about signing Garcia, that's just the desire to win 8 games.

Carl trained them well, not winning the bowl is ok as long as we might make the playoffs.

cdcox
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
to a certain extent, I KINDA see their point. this team hasn't EVER developed a QB (to a certain point, len dawson wasn't technically developed by us)--

but--you HAVE to start somewhere. for a rebuild to succeed, you HAVE to have a QB to grow with your team. croyle isn't that guy. thigpen isn't that guy. huard SURE AS HELL isn't that guy. is ingle martin? I kinda doubt it.

it's risk/reward. if the QB pans out? you're one of the better teams in the league (bengals notwithstanding--palmer is wasting away there). if it doesn't? you've wasted a few years and have to draft another one.

we're ALREADY shitty. we may as well roll the dice if stafford comes out.

The value of a great player at the QB position is so much higher than at any other position that you have to take the shot.

However, if you take the shot, you have to give him every chance to succeed. That means a good coaching staff. You might also need to pick up a couple of OL in FA so you don't ruin his confidence in his first couple of years. It's an investment and you have to treat it as such.

Nightfyre
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I watched the Georgia game this week, and Stafford literally had 4-5 passes dropped that hit his receivers in the hands. He has high pocket mobility, a strong arm, and generally throws a moderately good spiral. His two-minute drill at the end of the first half was a very strong showing. However, the biggest problem I saw was that he has trouble leading receivers really well. He often puts balls in a place that makes his receiver have to adjust to the ball and thus lose their momentum which results in them being tackled rather than allowing the big play. He also never has to look through a progression, presently. He did show signs of being able to read a defense, audibling at the line for a big play up the middle at one point. I also am unsure of how smart and how much of a leader he is, as neither was evident in the ASU game.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
The value of a great player at the QB position is so much higher than at any other position that you have to take the shot.

However, if you take the shot, you have to give him every chance to succeed. That means a good coaching staff. You might also need to pick up a couple of OL in FA so you don't ruin his confidence in his first couple of years. It's an investment and you have to treat it as such.

Basically, which is why I called the Titans dipshits for drafting Vince Young and refusing to get him any receivers.

Nightfyre
09-21-2008, 08:27 PM

It's hard to cripple a team 35 mil under the cap.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I also am unsure of how smart and how much of a leader he is, as neither was evident in the ASU game.

Thats my biggest knock on him. You compare him to Bradford on that and its not even close.

prhom
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
You know guys, if we aren't careful we might jinx ourselves and play our way right out of a top 5 pick. We need to focus on losing to Denver, we shouldn't be concerned with the draft right now. If we take it one week at a time that #1 pick will take care of itself.

DaKCMan AP
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
We'll learn a LOT more about Stafford over the next month and a half:

9/27 #8 Alabama
10/11 Tennessee
10/18 #21 Vanderbilt
10/25 at #5 LSU
11/1 #4 Florida

ILChief
09-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Sorry man, this freaking team has me so pissed right now.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM

absolutely. you can't go off halfcocked and assume that just because he's a top five pick that he can succeed on his own. too many QBs have been ruined by not having ANY surrounding cast. if we go QB in the first round next year, we HAVE to get a RT and C at LEAST (let niswanger be a guard, although upgrading that position isn't a horrible idea), and get at LEAST another decent WR (or hope like hell that franklin and/or darling are the answer).

cdcox
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Basically, which is why I called the Titans dipshits for drafting Vince Young and refusing to get him any receivers.

I'm not sure how coachable VY is. The guy has incredible atheletic ability, good leadership, etc, but I just don't know if he has the stuff to become a great QB. I said this after his rookie year, when everyone else was so high on him. I based my criticism on his low completion percentage and the supposedly low Wonderlic scores.

Brock
09-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure how coachable VY is. The guy has incredible atheletic ability, good leadership, etc, but I just don't know if he has the stuff to become a great QB. I said this after his rookie year, when everyone else was so high on him. I based my criticism on his low completion percentage and the supposedly low Wonderlic scores.

But you have to admit they didn't really give him anything to work with.

cdcox
09-21-2008, 08:35 PM

Yes, I'll agree with that.

GoTrav
09-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Collins seems to be doing ok with what they have.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Young just wins though. Dont know how he does it with a 1 cent brain, funky delivery, and poor mechanics.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 08:43 PM

It wasn't hate. It was the reasonable notion that we needed a LT and extra picks badly. As it turned out the hole argument went moot when Falcons picked him and Dorsey fell to us.

aturnis
09-21-2008, 08:44 PM
absolutely. you can't go off halfcocked and assume that just because he's a top five pick that he can succeed on his own. too many QBs have been ruined by not having ANY surrounding cast. if we go QB in the first round next year, we HAVE to get a RT and C at LEAST (let niswanger be a guard, although upgrading that position isn't a horrible idea), and get at LEAST another decent WR (or hope like hell that franklin and/or darling are the answer).

Again. I'm fine with Taylor at RT and Niswanger at G. Find ourselves a decent Center and we could be doing alright on the line. A good WR and QB and the entire offense might actually look decent.

Defense could use a couple LB's and some DE's.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:44 PM
It wasn't hate. It was the reasonable notion that we needed a LT and extra picks badly. As it turned out the hole argument went moot when Falcons picked him and Dorsey fell to us.

How does extra picks have anything to do with drafting Matt Ryan?

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Again. I'm fine with Taylor at RT and Niswanger at G. Find ourselves a decent Center and we could be doing alright on the line. A good WR and QB and the entire offense might actually look decent.

Defense could use a couple LB's and some DE's.

that's just the problem though. you're ok with taylor at RT. I'm fine with taylor at RT. but is the coaching staff ok with taylor at RT? they're completely retarded if they think that McIntosh is the answer at RT, and not willing to at LEAST give taylor a shot at RT.

but, let's be honest--they've given us all the evidence in the world that they're not playing with a full deck.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Barry Richardson is going to be a stud RT.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Barry Richardson is going to be a stud RT.

Well how about they you know play him.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 08:57 PM

but, but, but, that would MAKE SENSE.

we all know that nothing this coaching staff does makes any sense to any reasonable person.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 08:58 PM

They have a man crush on McIntosh for $ome odd rea$on$.

TrickyNicky
09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
My guess is Ron Edwards, Jon McGraw, and Damien McIntosh walked in on Herm and Carl making out.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 09:02 PM
How does extra picks have anything to do with drafting Matt Ryan?

You were wanting Ryan come hell or high water. I was saying we needed to see what Croyle can do behind a decent O-line before spending our first top 5 pick on a possibly unnecessary QB. The management of course didn't do enough to create a decent O-line for duration of this season. That would have required signing a solid veteran to a one or two year contract in addition to drafting O-line guys. But I digress. I was arguing that if there were no top 5 LT we would be better off targeting one to get at value later in the round by trying to find a trade partner who would take our first and a couple of extra first day picks. It's all water under the bridge now anyway.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't care how good our Oline is, Brodie Croyle is about as tough as a paper mache.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
that's just the problem though. you're ok with taylor at RT. I'm fine with taylor at RT. but is the coaching staff ok with taylor at RT? they're completely retarded if they think that McIntosh is the answer at RT, and not willing to at LEAST give taylor a shot at RT.

McI is NOT the answer at RT, Our very first offensive snap in today's game underlined it perfectly. I like Taylor a lot, but just because he was good enough at LT folks can't blindly "be fine" with him at RT. McI was OK at LT too. But he is crappy at RT. That said I dream of somehow Taylor proving himself the RT answer. I've rooted for the guy since we drafted him. McIntosh could then sit on the bench as our backup LT.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 09:15 PM
McI is NOT the answer at RT, Our very first offensive snap in today's game underlined it perfectly. I like Taylor a lot, but just because he was good enough at LT folks can't blindly "be fine" with him at RT. McI was OK at LT too. But he is crappy at RT. That said I dream of somehow Taylor proving himself the RT answer. I've rooted for the guy since we drafted him. McIntosh could then sit on the bench as our backup LT.

are you really saying anything new here? first it's not alright for me to be content giving taylor a chance at RT, but you're fine with it? why even type a response to that?

sorry--just confused. what you've typed makes NO sense. it's either 1) too obvious, or 2) contradictory.

Zouk
09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
My guess is Ron Edwards, Jon McGraw, and Damien McIntosh walked in on Herm and Carl making out.

Ron Edwards didn't play a single snap today.

I thought Branden Albert got beat more often than McIntosh.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't care how good our Oline is, Brodie Croyle is about as tough as a paper mache.

I am slowly starting to accept that verdict. But I still need to evaluate him behind a line that gives him fair protection. Plus, I'm not so sure why we don't ask him more to get out of the pocket. He seems to do that fairly well. And it keeps him healthy.

Frankie
09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
are you really saying anything new here? first it's not alright for me to be content giving taylor a chance at RT, but you're fine with it? why even type a response to that?

sorry--just confused. what you've typed makes NO sense. it's either 1) too obvious, or 2) contradictory.

In a nutshell: I like them to try Taylor out on the right side. But I can't say I'm "fine" with it until I see him do well there which would be THE best scenario to hope for. If that happens I'll be quite the happy camper. My problem is if he doesn't pan out at RT the coaches may never give him another chance.

Ebolapox
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
In a nutshell: I like them to try Taylor out on the right side. But I can't say I'm "fine" with it until I see him do well there which would be THE best scenario to hope for. If that happens I'll be quite the happy camper. My problem is if he doesn't pan out at RT the coaches may never give him another chance.

but how do we see him do well there unless we throw him in the fire? hell, can't have your cake and eat it too.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I thought Branden Albert got beat more often than McIntosh.

Rookie vs. Vet with no potential at that position. I expect mistakes from Albert mainly bc he hasnt played much LT at all.

Nightfyre
09-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Thats my biggest knock on him. You compare him to Bradford on that and its not even close.

I can't speak to that as I rarely get OK games up here.

Frankie
09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Rookie vs. Vet with no potential at that position. I expect mistakes from Albert mainly bc he hasnt played much LT at all.

Don't worry. Next year we'll get Oher. Move Albert to LG. Waters to RG and Taylor to RT. If we sign or draft a good C we'll be set for years.

OK, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But I can dream, right?