PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are there any bright spots?

RJ
09-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Serious question, is there any facet of the game where this team shows promise? The Chiefs haven't been in TV here yet and as you can imagine I haven't wasted my money to go watch them in a bar. I see LJ had a decent day and we only gave up two sacks. Does that mean the line was at least mediocre today?

Also, what about Thigpen? Did he look as bad in the game as his stat line does after?

Anything at all positive to report?

Mecca
09-21-2008, 03:43 PM
When you get blown away by the Atlanta Falcons....do you really expect much positive?

kstater
09-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Bright side: 1 game closer to the end of Carl and Herm.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
LJ at least looked like he had some fire, we started running outside the tackles and did so with success.

That's really it. We have the worst linebacking corps in the NFL, our D-line can't generate any pressure, and our safeties should be euthanized.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
When you get blown away by the Atlanta Falcons....do you really expect much positive?

Give me a break, Dude.

Thigpen put the Chiefs in the red zone twice when they came up empty. One a field goal, the other on the one. LJ played well today. Flowers and Carr played well. Tank Tyler and Turk McBride played very well.

If Thigpen had a year under his belt instead of just one game, the Chiefs very well could have won this game. His inexperience is what hurt the Chiefs offense, aside from McInSuck & Jones.

el borracho
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
We didn't put a 5'9" practice squad WR under center to run the option this week, so that is an improvement.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
LJ at least looked like he had some fire, we started running outside the tackles and did so with success.

That's really it. We have the worst linebacking corps in the NFL, our D-line can't generate any pressure, and our safeties should be euthanized.

I think we all new the right side of the line and the linebacking corp were the two most talent depleted areas on the roster. That and QB.

One more good off-season and the Chiefs are off to the races.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
We didn't put a 5'9" practice squad WR under center to run the option this week, so that is an improvement.

And he made a clutch reception.

Give credit where credit is due.

Mecca
That 4th quarter from what I saw was the Falcons playing the pass going "hey if you wanna run it and take all the time off the clock be my guest"

RJ

No, but that doesn't mean there can't be something/someone who looked good.

oaklandhater
09-21-2008, 03:49 PM
We are one step closer to the NFL DRAFT which might be a darkspot if we trade the 1st pick in the nfl for Brady quinn.

FringeNC
The only positive I can think of is that this team isn't owned by Al Davis. If you haven't read this, good read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArFUvo7kL1G6YXpvExxBRRlDubYF?slug=jc-dysfunctionalraiders091908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mecca
Also how can anyone say any of the Dlineman looked good? Cause they made a tackle a couple of times?

They got 0 pass rush no one even got close enough to breathe on Ryan and they got gashed in the run game again.

DaneMcCloud
That 4th quarter from what I saw was the Falcons playing the pass going "hey if you wanna run it and take all the time off the clock be my guest"

I didn't see it that way.

The third quarter is where the running game and passing game exploded. If not for the missed field goal, this game may have turned out much differently. The missed opportunity for a TD at the goal line insured the loss.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM
We are one step closer to the NFL DRAFT which might be a darkspot if we trade the 1st pick in the nfl for Brady quinn.

Cleveland is NOT trading Quinn so that's not even a concern.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Also for the record, Turk McBride is the reason along with DJ that Norwood ripped off a 50 yard run.

el borracho
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually, the offense did markedly better in the 2nd half, although the game was already lost at that point so one must consider the entire 2nd half as "garbage time" stats. Still- we did run much better than we have all season and made a number of 1st downs.

Also, I continue to be impressed by Albert and both Flowers and Carr look like NFL caliber CBs (not saying any of them are 2008 probowlers but they haven't really been liabilities which is something in their rookie year).

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Also how can anyone say any of the Dlineman looked good? Cause they made a tackle a couple of times?

They got 0 pass rush no one even got close enough to breathe on Ryan and they got gashed in the run game again.

Tank Tyler, Turk McBride and Glen Dorsey all had good tackles and penetration.

Did it happen on every down? No. But they played hard and for the most part, played well.

Dude, this is essentially an Expansion Team. Period. If you look at it from that perspective, there's a lot of good things to find in today's performance.

oaklandhater
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
we only punted 5 times which is the least amount of times we have had to punt this year :)

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Actually, the offense did markedly better in the 2nd half, although the game was already lost at that point so one must consider the entire 2nd half as "garbage time" stats.

That's outright ****ing bullshit.

Bull. ****ing. Shit.

The score was 31-14 when the Chiefs were on the 19 yard line. 31-17 is not "game over". Especially when they had another chance at the one, which would have put it at 31-24.

What a bunch of negative douchebaggery on this site.

el borracho
09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
And he made a clutch reception.

Give credit where credit is due.

I'm not sure I noticed that but cheers to him!

Mecca
09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Most everyone thought even expecting us to be bad that we could beat the Falcons, when this happens this is what you get.

What you're doing is picking out a few positives against a team that will probably win 5 games, going "see look at this"

the Talking Can
09-21-2008, 03:56 PM

yeah, we didn't play Damon Huard

el borracho
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
The score was 31-14 when the Chiefs were on the 19 yard line. 31-17 is not "game over". Especially when they had another chance at the one, which would have put it at 31-24.

I guess you can call me negative but I just don't see our offense (as it is) putting up 30 points this year. Perhaps when Croyle returns but I wouldn't count on it.

RJ
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I didn't see it that way.

The third quarter is where the running game and passing game exploded. If not for the missed field goal, this game may have turned out much differently. The missed opportunity for a TD at the goal line insured the loss.

How did they manage to avoid scoring from the goal line?

Logical
09-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Give me a break, Dude.

Thigpen put the Chiefs in the red zone twice when they came up empty. One a field goal, the other on the one. LJ played well today. Flowers and Carr played well. Tank Tyler and Turk McBride played very well.

If Thigpen had a year under his belt instead of just one game, the Chiefs very well could have won this game. His inexperience is what hurt the Chiefs offense, aside from McInSuck & Jones.No Dane Mecca is right, after NE that have been pretty much no bright spots other than Bowe, Gonzalez, and LJ this game. I know this is going to be hard to take, but I think the defense is worse than it was under Dick Vermiel.

gblowfish
It didn't rain...

Mecca
I guess you can call me negative but I just don't see our offense (as it is) putting up 30 points this year. Perhaps when Croyle returns but I wouldn't count on it.

You should expect to be competitive against teams like Oakland and Atlanta when you have to try to pick out very small positives about the game against those teams, what is going to happen when they face a good team?

They are obviously much further behind this curve than even the most ardent person could have predicted. I don't think anyone expected to get abused in these 2 games...

Mecca
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM

They went for it on 4th down and LJ got tackled.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM

LJ on fourth and goal couldn't quite get in. He sure as hell tried.

Look guys, had it not been for the missed field goal and LJ's near TD miss, the Chiefs would have put up 24 points on the road.

That's a vast improvement over last week at Arrowhead.

Add to that, the team, especially the offense, NEVER GAVE UP.

So go ahead, be as negative as you'd like. You'd be missing out on a gutsy performance by a very young team that never quit.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
You know who played gutsy today?

Cincy did, getting ass raped by the Falcons is not playing gutsy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
The offense did look significantly better in the second half.

However, this team still only shows up one unit at a team. The defense always comes to play in the first quarter, and then shits the bed thereafter, whereas it seems that Herm always scripts 15 thrusts of the butt sex offense to start us off.

RJ
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Most everyone thought even expecting us to be bad that we could beat the Falcons, when this happens this is what you get.

What you're doing is picking out a few positives against a team that will probably win 5 games, going "see look at this"

In fairness, "see, look at this" is exactly what I was asking for. I wasn't expecting anyone to say we looked like a quality team that got some bad breaks.

FringeNC
No Dane Mecca is right, after NE that have been pretty much no bright spots other than Bowe, Gonzalez, and LJ this game. I know this is going to be hard to take, but I think the defense is worse than it was under Dick Vermiel.

Have any of Gun's FA signings worked out since his return?

DaneMcCloud
No Dane Mecca is right, after NE that have been pretty much no bright spots other than Bowe, Gonzalez, and LJ this game. I know this is going to be hard to take, but I think the defense is worse than it was under Dick Vermiel.

You HAVE to look at the individual matchups this year. Their are WAY too many holes to judge the entire offense or the entire defense.

How do you expect the secondary to perform when they're constantly having to tackle running backs with a 20 yard head start? The linebackers are horrific. Absolutely horrific. We're starting and playing nearly four rookies and first year players (McBride, Tyler, Dorsey & Johnston).

Secondly, the offense has only ONE receiver, a horrific right side of the offensive line and a 7th round QB.

The fact that the Chiefs were actually in the game and never gave up is a great sign.

Mecca
The offense did look significantly better in the second half.

However, this team still only shows up one unit at a team. The defense always comes to play in the first quarter, and then shits the bed thereafter, whereas it seems that Herm always scripts 15 thrusts of the butt sex offense to start us off.

That's because the game is close, he has to be conservative when it's close.

The entire defense is like Derrick Johnson, they show up sometimes.

Logical
09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
we only punted 5 times which is the least amount of times we have had to punt this year :)OK I will concede this one.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
You HAVE to look at the individual matchups this year. Their are WAY too many holes to judge the entire offense or the entire defense.

How do you expect the secondary to perform when they're constantly having to tackle running backs with a 20 yard head start? The linebackers are horrific. Absolutely horrific. We're starting and playing nearly four rookies and first year players (McBride, Tyler, Dorsey & Johnston).

Secondly, the offense has only ONE receiver, a horrific right side of the offensive line and a 7th round QB.

The fact that the Chiefs were actually in the game and never gave up is a great sign.

I'm sorry going down 24-0 scoring and threatening to score again does not make it "a game" we weren't playing the Cowboys here it's the Falcons.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry going down 24-0 scoring and threatening to score again does not make it "a game" we weren't playing the Cowboys here it's the Falcons.

The Falcons are 2-1. What makes you think they're not a playoff team?

Logical
09-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Have any of Gun's FA signings worked out since his return?That would be pretty much a no, though Surtain has been adequate (hardly worth the money).

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:07 PM
The Falcons are 2-1. What makes you think they're not a playoff team?

They're other win is the Lions who are as we speak getting beat down by the 49ers...

We made the Falcons look like a Superbowl team.

el borracho
09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
You should expect to be competitive against teams like Oakland and Atlanta when you have to try to pick out very small positives about the game against those teams, what is going to happen when they face a good team?

They are obviously much further behind this curve than even the most ardent person could have predicted. I don't think anyone expected to get abused in these 2 games...

I did expect to be competetive the last two weeks. I was (and still am) livid at the decision-making last week and I was impossibly vexed by our performance early today but at the 24-0 point I just accepted we were going to lose. My hopes for this year: Chiefs win at least one game (don't care who), Carl and Herm get fired (and replaced with improvements at their respective jobs) and some of the young guys display something which gives reason to hope for next year and beyond. Anything else (Gonzalez breaking a record, perhaps) will be a bonus.

Boon
09-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Colquitt looked pretty good again.

Logical
09-21-2008, 04:11 PM

The fact that the Chiefs were actually in the game and never gave up is a great sign.Sorry you and I don't see it the same way. I see a team that won't be competitive next year. I also don't think we were in this game (JMHO).

Skip Towne

Yep, this game reminded me of the Tiki Barber game.

Mecca
Oh and another thing, Pollard and Page suck ass.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry you and I don't see it the same way. I see a team that won't be competitive next year. I also don't think we were in this game (JMHO).

IF the score had been 31-24, the Chiefs absolutely would have been in the game.

There's no excuse for a 26 yard field goal miss or not punching it in on 4th and one.

HonestChieffan
09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I worked through the game, heard zero, and listened to the recap on 101 on my way home. There is no bright spots when you can't stop a run, your offence in non existant, and the special teams seem to show up all but about 20% of the plays but blow big when they do. We suck. Herm Sucks. Carl sucks.

Logical
09-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I did expect to be competetive the last two weeks. I was (and still am) livid at the decision-making last week and I was impossibly vexed by our performance early today but at the 24-0 point I just accepted we were going to lose. My hopes for this year: Chiefs win at least one game (don't care who), Carl and Herm get fired (and replaced with improvements at their respective jobs) and some of the young guys display something which gives reason to hope for next year and beyond. Anything else (Gonzalez breaking a record, perhaps) will be a bonus.Rep, I agree.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
The Chiefs in 2 straight weeks played teams with young QB's that ran alot and didn't pass much and they still couldn't defend the run.....

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I worked through the game, heard zero, and listened to the recap on 101 on my way home.

Expert analysis by a Chiefs fan!

Jesus ****ing Christ

Logical
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
IF the score had been 31-24, the Chiefs absolutely would have been in the game.

There's no excuse for a 26 yard field goal miss or not punching it in on 4th and one.Sure there is, you have a kicker, who at best is subpar and you have a poor offensive line.

el borracho
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Linebackers are a must this coming offseason. Thomas is incredibly bad.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Expert analysis by a Chiefs fan!

Jesus ****ing Christ

What's gonna happen when they play an actual team that is balanced? So far the Raiders are the best defense we've played and no team has really been balanced since Brady got injured....

Logical
09-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Dane, I salute your optimism in the face of overwhelming negatives.:clap:

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 04:19 PM
What's gonna happen when they play an actual team that is balanced? So far the Raiders are the best defense we've played and no team has really been balanced since Brady got injured....
We will find out when Denver hangs 40 on us at Arrowhead....

DaneMcCloud

Hey, I've never said the Chiefs will win more than 3 games this year. Actually, I think they'll be lucky to win one.

But that doesn't mean that are NO bright spots on either side of the line and that the players all suck. Far from it.

The Chiefs suffer from a severe lack of depth and talent at key positions. They can't turn over a roster in one offseason and expect to be a 10-6 team (as some people around here expected).

Mecca

I can't wait for next weeks positives after Denver puts up 500 total yards.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Big deal. They've been hanging more than that on the Chiefs for years. And that was with old, crusty, POS veterans.

That's nothing new.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey, I've never said the Chiefs will win more than 3 games this year. Actually, I think they'll be lucky to win one.

But that doesn't mean that are NO bright spots on either side of the line and that the players all suck. Far from it.

The Chiefs suffer from a severe lack of depth and talent at key positions. They can't turn over a roster in one offseason and expect to be a 10-6 team (as some people around here expected).

I expect the players especially ones who aren't in their first year to atleast play like they know what they're doing, our safeties are still complete idiots.

Derrick Johnson still disappears and does stupid shit, I know McBride will never be a top notch pass rusher but for the love of christ his single **** up caused a 50 yard run.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I expect the players especially ones who aren't in their first year to atleast play like they know what they're doing, our safeties are still complete idiots.

Derrick Johnson still disappears and does stupid shit, I know McBride will never be a top notch pass rusher but for the love of christ his single **** up caused a 50 yard run.

I'm with you on DJ. He's nothing more than an average LB and that's probably all he'll ever be.

As for Turk, he made a mistake but it's magnified when your linebackers suck.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm with you on DJ. He's nothing more than an average LB and that's probably all he'll ever be.

As for Turk, he made a mistake but it's magnified when your linebackers suck.

McBride ****ed up and then Johnson did too.......I'm sorry for everyone on this board who loves DJ, he's exactly what he was in college an athletic guy who's undisciplined undercoached and in college that made him a playmaker in the NFL on most days that means the other team will take advantage of him.

He needs to learn how to play his position, either he has the IQ of 5 or he lacks dedication one or the other.

PastorMikH
09-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Did anyone mention the bright spot about our punter? He made the longest play of the day, punting right around the endzone all the way past the 50 where the falcon muffed it and was recovered by us.

Skip Towne
09-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Did anyone mention the bright spot about our punter? He made the longest play of the day, punting right around the endzone all the way past the 50 where the falcon muffed it and was recovered by us.

That was a great knuckleball Colquitt served up.

Friendo
09-21-2008, 04:36 PM
McBride ****ed up and then Johnson did too.......I'm sorry for everyone on this board who loves DJ, he's exactly what he was in college an athletic guy who's undisciplined undercoached and in college that made him a playmaker in the NFL on most days that means the other team will take advantage of him.

He needs to learn how to play his position, either he has the IQ of 5 or he lacks dedication one or the other.

seems to be a theme with many of Mack Brown's players

blueballs
09-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Jamal Charles can Reggie Bush Denver

FAX
09-21-2008, 04:57 PM
... Add to that, the team, especially the offense, NEVER GAVE UP. So go ahead, be as negative as you'd like. You'd be missing out on a gutsy performance by a very young team that never quit.

I see this as a real positive. They had every right and reason to phone in the second half and they didn't. Atlanta may have been backing off a bit after they acquired the first big lead, but considering Thiggy's performance up to that point, that's almost beside the point. I'm sure they tightened up the defense after we scored the second touchdown and we still moved the ball. By that time, of course, I'm sure the defense was on their last legs.

One of the main things I wanted to see this year was a team that fought and scrapped right up to the final whistle and they did. Prop things are due to them for that.

FAX

New Yorker
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I know how you guys feel. All I can really say is, "Welcome To Jets Football".

Halfcan
09-21-2008, 05:23 PM
The only brightspot this year is that Sliver Spoons Hunt put a ton of money in his pocket.

teedubya
09-21-2008, 05:24 PM
The positive is, that next sunday I wont have to watch this shitpile team.

RJ
09-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I did expect to be competetive the last two weeks. I was (and still am) livid at the decision-making last week and I was impossibly vexed by our performance early today but at the 24-0 point I just accepted we were going to lose. My hopes for this year: Chiefs win at least one game (don't care who), Carl and Herm get fired (and replaced with improvements at their respective jobs) and some of the young guys display something which gives reason to hope for next year and beyond. Anything else (Gonzalez breaking a record, perhaps) will be a bonus.

I could live with that.

harpes
09-21-2008, 05:33 PM
One last game to watch this year.

Chief Faithful
09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
I just got back from the game and I'm not nearly as down on the team as many on the Planet seem to be. Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr and all the other rookies looked really good. All of Herms draft picks on the field looked really good.

The players that looked poor were McIntoad, Jones, Darling, and Pigpen. Out of that group only Pigpen looks like he might become a better player.

I believe by mid-season this team is going to start looking pretty good.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I just got back from the game and I'm not nearly as down on the team as many on the Planet seem to be. Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr and all the other rookies looked really good. All of Herms draft picks on the field looked really good.

The players that looked poor were McIntoad, Jones, Darling, and Pigpen. Out of that group only Pigpen looks like he might become a better player.

I believe by mid-season this team is going to start looking pretty good.

Thank you.

I've been saying this all day.

Seemingly to deaf ears.

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Thank you.

I've been saying this all day.

Seemingly to deaf ears.

No it hasnt fell on deaf ears.... What is strange, is how you fail to address the previous two years of draft picks.. Its like you are giving Herm a free pass up until opening week of this season.

Most of us are looking at the over all picture, not just this years "full-blown rebuilding" that you are only focusing on...

Mecca
09-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I thought Albert was up and down, the CB's looked solid..but no all of Herm's picks didn't look solid because Hali, Page and Pollard were complete shit.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
No it hasnt fell on deaf ears.... What is strange, is how you fail to address the previous two years of draft picks.. Its like you are giving Herm a free pass up until opening week of this season.

Most of us are looking at the over all picture, not just this years "full-blown rebuilding" that you are only focusing on...

Fail to address? Excuse me?

I've made multiple comments about the 2007 & 2008 draft for the past 18 months.

It's not my fault that you haven't read every post.

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Fail to address? Excuse me?

I've made multiple comments about the 2007 & 2008 draft for the past 18 months.

It's not my fault that you haven't read every post.
Easy D-Mac....

I am just yanking your chain.... :D

Logical
09-21-2008, 06:13 PM
By the way the coaching on this team could not be worse. Gun known for producing Linebackers is a miserable failure. Not really a surprise to me. We have no one who can coach young players at QB. I think Herm is controlling the shots on Offense so I lay the blame there. Not sure what to think of the Offensive coordinator.

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 06:15 PM
By the way the coaching on this team could not be worse. Gun known for producing Linebackers is a miserable failure. Not really a surprise to me. We have no one who can coach young players at QB. I think Herm is controlling the shots on Offense so I lay the blame there. Not sure what to think of the Offensive coordinator.
Gailey is Hermcuffed to the max....

This is Herms offense, same one he has ran for the last 7 years...

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM

If you were truly looking at the overall picture, you'd see that this team has needed a complete enema for 10 years.

The Chiefs are doing their best to stock the roster with youthful talent. There are numerous holes on this roster, even after three drafts. They need at least one more good draft and probably a few free-agents beginning their second contract to be competitive next year.

Anyone who thought they'd win more than three games this year, regardless of offensive coaches and schemes, defensive coaching and schemes, was ill-informed, hopeful or just plain dumb.

Sorry if any of those apply to you personally.

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 06:18 PM
If you were truly looking at the overall picture, you'd see that this team has needed a complete enema for 10 years.

The Chiefs are doing their best to stock the roster with youthful talent. There are numerous holes on this roster, even after three drafts. They need at least one more good draft and probably a few free-agents beginning their second contract to be competitive next year.

Anyone who thought they'd win more than three games this year, regardless of offensive coaches and schemes, defensive coaching and schemes, was ill-informed, hopeful or just plain dumb.

Sorry if any of those apply to you personally.
:eek:

Did you just call me dumb?

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
:eek:

Did you just call me dumb?

Not directly

:evil:

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Not directly

:evil:
I dont like you anymore...

:D

FYI, I am still just yanking your chain...

milkman
09-21-2008, 06:41 PM

The fact is, lack of discipline and poor fundamentals are a staple of Cunther coached defenses.

I've said over and over that Cunther is the most overrarted Defensive coach I've ever seen.

People point to Keith Bullock and say that Cunther is responsible for his development.

I look at Bullock and see that he's the only player that has ever developed that Cunther was "coaching" and can only conclude, given Cunther's otherwise piss poor track record in player development that Bollock became the player he is in spite of, rather than because of, Cunther.

milkman
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM

As for Turk, yeah, he ****ed up, but he's a second year player, coached by the worst staff in the league, and yet he is still an ascending player that did make some plays today.

The same can be said for Tank.
Dorsey also played pretty well for a rookie.

Get these kids an actual NFL coaching staff, and an actual RDE, and they could be a formidable group.

The fact is, overall, the D-Line didn't really play all that badly, but they can't maintain their gaps and the LBs gaps too.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
As for Turk, yeah, he ****ed up, but he's a second year player, coached by the worst staff in the league, and yet he is still an ascending player that did make some plays today.

The same can be said for Tank.
Dorsey also played pretty well for a rookie.

Get these kids an actual NFL coaching staff, and an actual RDE, and they could be a formidable group.

The fact is, overall, the D-Line didn't really play all that badly, but they can't maintain their gaps and the LBs gaps too.

I can't in good faith say the line played well when Ryan stood there with no fear of ever even being touched. He stood tall and confident delivering his throws, he looked at more than 1 guy.

I think he's far above most rookie QB's in development from what I saw but also he had 0 fear of getting hit today.

milkman
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I thought Albert was up and down, the CB's looked solid..but no all of Herm's picks didn't look solid because Hali, Page and Pollard were complete shit.

Albert looked a little unprepared in run blocking today, and he didn't dominate Abraham, but neither did he get abused by him.

Not bad for a rookie transitioning from LG to LT in his third game.

milkman
09-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I can't in good faith say the line played well when Ryan stood there with no fear of ever even being touched. He stood tall and confident delivering his throws, he looked at more than 1 guy.

I think he's far above most rookie QB's in development from what I saw but also he had 0 fear of getting hit today.

Again, we are talking about a rookie, two second year players and a guy that is on his way to the scrub heap.

You, as much as anyone should know that we aren't going to get any pressure from this group.

They have a lot of growing to do, but add a couple of pieces and a real defensive staff, and they can grow.

ILChief
09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Serious question, is there any facet of the game where this team shows promise? The Chiefs haven't been in TV here yet and as you can imagine I haven't wasted my money to go watch them in a bar. I see LJ had a decent day and we only gave up two sacks. Does that mean the line was at least mediocre today?

Also, what about Thigpen? Did he look as bad in the game as his stat line does after?

No

ROYC75
09-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I turned it off after Atlanta scored the 1st TD ..........

Herm has made me lose interest in my team, I knew he would. Herm is a Great talent evaluator, a good Asst. Coach, he's just a poor HC .

King_Chief_Fan
09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
The bright spot is Herm continues to lose. That should spell termination at the end.

Reerun_KC
09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I turned it off after Atlanta scored the 1st TD ..........

Herm has made me lose interest in my team, I knew he would. Herm is a Great talent evaluator, a good Asst. Coach, he's just a poor HC .

Great? Uh NO!

More like Mediocre at best...

jjchieffan
09-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I personally thought the team did well in the second half. Especially Thigpen and LJ. They played two totally different games from the the first half to the second. I give some credit to the O line playing better in the second half as well. A big difference from last week IMHO. Our offense outscored Atlanta's offense 14-7 in the second half until that pick 6. Thigpen and LJ moved the ball down the field, and, with the exception of Atlanta's first drive of the second half, the defense stopped Atlanta. We still lost, but I am not nearly as despaired as I was last week. I will be watching next weeks game optimistically hoping for a win.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Just for the record we are aware the Chiefs also got outscored in the 2nd half correct?

Skip Towne
09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Just for the record we are aware the Chiefs also got outscored in the 2nd half correct?

The 2nd half was a little better but we lost our ass in both halves. We only appear to try when we are already out of the game. Herm ball. We play scared when it is close.

jjchieffan
09-21-2008, 08:46 PM

I bet you got so excited by us getting beat that you were jerking your meat you piece of F***. You get more joy out of us losing than a F***ing opposing fan!!!!

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Great? Uh NO!

More like Mediocre at best...

Yeah, you're the person to judge talent.

Give me a ****ing break. :rolleyes:

Mecca
09-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I bet you got so excited by us getting beat that you were jerking your meat you piece of F***. You get more joy out of us losing than a F***ing opposing fan!!!!

If it means Herm and Carl get fired I'll openly root for the Chiefs to go 0-16.

I don't think you understand that really sucking right now is better to get the fools out of here.

KcFanInGA
09-21-2008, 08:59 PM
We need a miracle. Get Brady Quinn, and get us a good coach/gm.

Deberg_1990
09-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Without reading through the whole thread...

How did Albert and Dorsey look today?

It appears Dorsey has had ZERO effect on the run D so far this year....

OctoberFart
09-21-2008, 09:17 PM

LJ put up 100 yards in the second half of a meaningless game against pass rushing defensive lines and nickle coverage.

Diaper Boy in first half 7 carries for 20 yards. Kind of similar to J. Kitna putting up numbers in a blowout game. You can convince yourself whatever you want though I don't care but lets call a spade a spade.

FAX
09-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't understand it. We play a one-gap, correct? If Dorsey is pulling a double team, the LBs should be able to see exactly where the play is going, get there relatively untouched, and nail the enemy bastard somewhere near the LOS. How is it possible that these teams are still ripping 40 and 50 yard runs on us?

FAX

morphius
09-21-2008, 09:19 PM
LJ put up 100 yards in the second half of a meaningless game against pass rushing defensive lines and nickle coverage.

Diaper Boy in first half 7 carries for 20 yards. Kind of similar to J. Kitna putting up numbers in a blowout game. You can convince yourself whatever you want though I don't care but lets call a spade a spade.
did you watch the game, and skip your chokers?

morphius
09-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Just for the record, we do know that the other team knew that we brought in a QB who wasn't anywhere near ready to start, much less play, an NFL game.

OctoberFart
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM

You call down by 3 scores in 2nd half in the game?

PastorMikH
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I was thinking tonight that for 7 straight minutes on both sides of the half, our O looked like things were starting to click and they could roll. Sadly, after the first drive of the 2nd half it looked like the old O came back.

Mecca
09-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Just for the record, we do know that the other team knew that we brought in a QB who wasn't anywhere near ready to start, much less play, an NFL game.

I just don't know how anyone can be positive about getting blown out by Atlanta, they aren't a good team they're another shitty team. You should be able to atleast play a competitive game with them.

morphius
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I just don't know how anyone can be positive about getting blown out by Atlanta, they aren't a good team they're another shitty team. You should be able to atleast play a competitive game with them.
I don't think anyone is. But that being said, I can see that some players may pan out, I think Albert continued to looked good. I think that when we stopped giving LJ plays that were to be run quickly into nonexistent holes he did okay, something that he hasn't been given a chance to do. I think Turk is a lot better than anyone expected from him after last year, doesn't mean he isn't making mistakes, but this is his first year getting any playing time. I still generally like the play of our rookie CB's, they are not studs out there, they make mistakes, but eh, they are a lot better than anyone we have brought here in a long time.

Were you seriously expecting a better showing, especially when a team hasn't been able to get first downs all year?

Mecca
09-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't think anyone is. But that being said, I can see that some players may pan out, I think Albert continued to looked good. I think that when we stopped giving LJ plays that were to be run quickly into nonexistent holes he did okay, something that he hasn't been given a chance to do. I think Turk is a lot better than anyone expected from him after last year, doesn't mean he isn't making mistakes, but this is his first year getting any playing time. I still generally like the play of our rookie CB's, they are not studs out there, they make mistakes, but eh, they are a lot better than anyone we have brought here in a long time.

Were you seriously expecting a better showing, especially when a team hasn't been able to get first downs all year?

Even I before this year who said the Chiefs were a 1-15 or 2-14 team didn't expect to get blown out by Atlanta.....Atlanta and Oakland were 2 games I thought they had a chance to win when picking those records.....so they are even worse than I thought.

morphius
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Even I before this year who said the Chiefs were a 1-15 or 2-14 team didn't expect to get blown out by Atlanta.....Atlanta and Oakland were 2 games I thought they had a chance to win when picking those records.....so they are even worse than I thought.
After last week, with Thigpen running the game, what did you expect this week?

Before the season we were hoping that Brodie would work out and stay healthy and that our OC know his ass from a hole in the wall and wouldn't run on first down 98% of the time while the game was "close", and run the exact same play each time.

SBK
09-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Without reading through the whole thread...

How did Albert and Dorsey look today?

It appears Dorsey has had ZERO effect on the run D so far this year....

Dorsey and Tank looked good. From where I was sitting our LB's and S's couldn't tackle, and the LB's were always out of position. The DE's didn't help either.

The runs in the middle seemed to go nowhere, running outside was all day.

triple
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
the corners haven't looked bad.

maybe that's because not a lot of teams are going to have to throw the ball a lot on us this year