PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Who is to blame for the Chiefs Run Defense

KC kid
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Is it the D tackles, D ends, linebackers, schemes? What is it?

FAX
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Linebackers, probably. Although, it's a little difficult to tell whether they're playing the proper gaps when you don't know the call. Plus, Herm's "bend don't break" scheme means you have to be able to make solid, dependable, consistent, one-on-one tackles. Which we obviously cannot do.

FAX

ChiefsCountry
09-23-2008, 01:28 PM
If a scheme is ran right, linebackers are the ones who are suppose to clean up the run. DT's take up blockers and Backers fill the gaps.

The Franchise
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Our LBs suck. DJ is the only one that's decent and he's not even doing that great. Pat Thomas has no clue what he's doing and sucks. Donnie Edwards is old.

CoMoChief
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
LB's can't fill gaps for shit....we desperately need a MLB. And this defense as a whole needs to learn how to tackle.

I dunno where or whom to put the blame on for that.

Brock
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
LB's can't fill gaps for shit....we desperately need a MLB. And this defense as a whole needs to learn how to tackle.

I dunno where or whom to put the blame on for that.

Just put it on Tyler Thigpen along with everything else.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
to me its the DE and LB, it seems like we are getting beat on off tackles and runs to the outside

Deberg_1990
09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Our LBs suck. DJ is the only one that's decent and he's not even doing that great. Pat Thomas has no clue what he's doing and sucks. Donnie Edwards is old.

Nap Harris must be real deep in Gun's doghouse to never see the field??

HypnotizedMonkey
09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Pat Thomas getting dragged around would be my first target, Donnie Edwards' age is the number two target, then it's all just a matter of experience IMO. We don't have a 'QB' on either side of the ball. The offensive inefficiency is making it very tough on the defense too.

CoMoChief
09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Just put it on Tyler Thigpen along with everything else.

:spock:

I can't believe the people on here who think starting Thigpen was even remotely a good idea from these clowns we have on the coaching staff and front office.

Simply amazing actually.

FAX
09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
There is that, Mr. HypnotizedMonkey. Those guys are spending a lot of time on the field what with all those offensive three-and-out things and all.

Still, the tackling is pretty bad from start to finish. Fatigue may be a contributing factor, but that isn't all there is to it.

FAX

Brock
09-23-2008, 02:08 PM
:spock:

I can't believe the people on here who think starting Thigpen was even remotely a good idea from these clowns we have on the coaching staff and front office.

Simply amazing actually.

Don't worry, your 8-8 team will be back soon.

Chief Faithful
09-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Against the Falcons Dorsey and Tank did an outstanding job. All the breakdowns were on the edge so I say a combination of DE and LB. The Falcons didn't get anything up the middle all day.

Chiefnj2
09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Pat Thomas getting dragged around would be my first target, .

That's the team captain your talking about.

Calcountry
09-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Greg Robinson, look at how he screwed up Syracuse. It wasn't good enough for him to destroy our franchise.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
That's the team captain your talking about.

baffling.

CoMoChief
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Don't worry, your 8-8 team will be back soon.

Rather be 8-8 and have these young guys have wins under their belts and improving in the process rather than have their confidence completely taken away when we put the whole teams fate into a 7th rd draft pick we picked up off waivers and virtually having no chance of getting better as a team.

When you win games you improve....

Gonzo
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM

I blame you. :cuss:

keg in kc
09-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Seems to be breakdowns in gap responsibility, primarily linebackers (including DJ) although I'm sure there's been some out-of-position DBs on a few of the runs.

I'm not sure the d-line rotation isn't part of the problem. It seems like (historically) a lot of the big plays against Guntard _efenses happen with 2nd string linemen on the field. I'm not sure if that's been the case so far this season or not.

Skip Towne
09-23-2008, 02:50 PM
I dunno. Turd McBride?

SBK
09-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Against the Falcons Dorsey and Tank did an outstanding job. All the breakdowns were on the edge so I say a combination of DE and LB. The Falcons didn't get anything up the middle all day.

This.

aturnis
09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I've been seeing the defense get torched on a lot of cut-back runs. So maybe the linebackers are playing the correct gaps, but the line just opens up on the opposite side of the designed run and then cut it back to a gap w/ no backer in it.

brent102fire
09-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Lack of an offense...3 and outs put a lot of pressure on a defense. The D is getting worked because they are on the field most of the time...:cuss:

the Talking Can
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
according to WPI, this is like herm and gun's 1st year....so you can't blame them...

or something....

TrickyNicky
09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Scheme and lack of talent to run said scheme. The front seven in a cover 2 have to be fast, with good fundamentals. We lack speed at DE and our LB's aren't disciplined enough to wrap up or fill the correct gaps.

Molitoth
09-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I blame our Offense.

I think the talent on the defensive side of the ball is there, they just don't give a shit when they know the offense will keep them out of the game.

If our O gets a spark, I believe our D will play better.

StcChief
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM

I dunno where or whom to put the blame on for that.well....that would be the LB coach. Gunther

FAX
09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Let's see, we're on our third or fourth major scheme overhaul in what 5 years? That's not consistency. And, I'll bet you we've run through at least a dozen linebackers in that time ... maybe more than to 20 come to think of it. Anybody remember Monty Beisel or Quinton Caver?

You can't build any kind of defense with that kind of massive turnover at those key positions ... let alone a C2.

FAX

chiefsfan1963
09-23-2008, 05:05 PM

DV of course. :)

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
according to WPI, this is like herm and gun's 1st year....so you can't blame them...

or something....

according to Gretz today, it's make or break this season.

FAX
09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
according to Gretz today, it's make or break this season.

Yeah, but according to Mr. shaneo69, Carl is on the record as saying that he might come back which is the exact opposite of what Gretz said he said. And if Gretz is wrong about that, he could be wrong about Herm and everything else.

This is kind of depressing.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but according to Mr. shaneo69, Carl is on the record as saying that he might come back

I like to see the link when Carl said that

FringeNC
09-23-2008, 05:55 PM
The breakdown was predictable. Last year, in games that Allen was not in the backfield all day long, our D was awful. Allen's play-making ability hid the fact that we still appear to run the headless chicken defense.

shaneo69
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I like to see the link when Carl said that

Here you go, fuggin dikhead...

Peterson also hinted at possibly staying on with the Chiefs after his contract expires.

“My thought was, when I signed this last contract that takes me through the ’09 season (was) that I would be stepping away from the Chiefs at that season,” he said. “Now, can it happen sooner? Anything can happen sooner. Can it happen later? That’s always something that’s a consideration.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/761067-p4.html

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Here you go, fuggin dikhead...

Peterson also hinted at possibly staying on with the Chiefs after his contract expires.

“My thought was, when I signed this last contract that takes me through the ’09 season (was) that I would be stepping away from the Chiefs at that season,” he said. “Now, can it happen sooner? Anything can happen sooner. Can it happen later? That’s always something that’s a consideration.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/761067-p4.html

:LOL: sounds like groundless hope in his eyes.

T-post Tom
09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Here's proof:

In a blistering speech before the United Nations General Assembly, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the "Chiefs' empire in the NFL is reaching the end of its road."

suds79
09-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Well since you asked.... :D

Now it has been pointed out that in the cover 2 you need quick, pass rushing DTs to get pressure from all 4 D-linemen but give me two huge 340+ fatties any day of the week.

They rarely can be moved and require a lot of double teams. a la the Raven's old D with Tony Siragusa & Sam Adams.

With Tank Tyler at 6'2 306 and Glenn Dorsey at 6'1 297, I've got to question their ability to hold up against mauling 320+ Guards which are common in today's NFL.

Just my opinion..... Guess it doesn't help that our LBers are playing horrible either though.

milkman
09-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Blame lies at the feet of Lamar and Clark.

Brock
09-23-2008, 07:53 PM
:LOL: sounds like groundless hope in his eyes.

Groundless? He's been here at least 10 years longer than could be reasonably expected.

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Groundless? He's been here at least 10 years longer than could be reasonably expected.

Well, If Clark's press runs were any way accurate concerning any type o progress then Carl/Herm's ass is grass if their isn't any improvement.

DJJasonp
09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
3 words: Gunther, Gunther, and Gunther.

My current state of mind is telling me that it can no longer be about the talent or the players we have. It has to be about the coaching.

If it's not about the coaching....and we truly have had the worst talent on the defensive side of the ball for almost 10 years now.....Then Stevie Wonder must be our director of scouting/player personnel.

FAX
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
3 words: Gunther, Gunther, and Gunther.

My current state of mind is telling me that it can no longer be about the talent or the players we have. It has to be about the coaching.

If it's not about the coaching....and we truly have had the worst talent on the defensive side of the ball for almost 10 years now.....Then Stevie Wonder must be our director of scouting/player personnel.

I just went back and took a look at our rosters from 2005 on, Mr. DJJasonp. It's absolutely mind boggling how many linebackers we've brought in during that period. It's over 20. Over 20 linebackers have come and gone in 4 years and we still don't have a trio that can get the job done. Some of those guys were brought on for depth or the PS or ST, no doubt, but most of them played or were backups. Bell, Fox, Barber, Mitchell, the list goes on and on. That boggles.

We cannot seem to sort out who needs to play linebacker or where to find them. Plus, you can't tell me that DJ came out of college without the potential to be a very solid player in this league. It's coaching. Or player evaluation. Or something along those lines. It has to be.

FAX

TrickyNicky
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
We coulda had Jeremiah Trotter! DAMMIT CARL1