PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb:Chiefs’ Edwards ponders his next quarterback move

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Chiefs’ Edwards ponders his next quarterback move (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/811119.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

It’s a different situation, the coach said. It’s delicate. It’s one that requires special consideration, and the Chiefs sure don’t have room for more mistakes.

No, coach Herm Edwards said, choosing a starting quarterback takes time — and he needed more time Tuesday to make certain another change is the appropriate thing for this wounded team.

Edwards said he’s leaning toward starting Damon Huard on Sunday against Denver, instead of Tyler Thigpen. Edwards will announce it officially today, after he tells the team the Chiefs might make yet another change at their most important position.

“You’ve got no rhythm,” Edwards said. “That hurt from the first game.”

That was the game that Brodie Croyle separated his right shoulder. The Chiefs aren’t planning on bringing him back until week seven, when Kansas City plays Tennessee at Arrowhead Stadium.

And rhythm or no rhythm between now and then, Edwards said he can’t yet commit to whether he’ll stick with one quarterback or continue swapping the starter on a weekly basis or until one of the men proves he can stick.

“You’ve got to go as the game’s being played and what you feel, what’s best for your team in certain situations,” he said. “That’s what you always make decisions on as the head coach.”

Huard started the Sept. 14 game against Oakland. He left in the first quarter because of a neck injury, and Thigpen relieved him. Thigpen started Sunday in a 38-14 loss at Atlanta.

Edwards said it wasn’t that Thigpen was bad — though completing one of his first 10 passes for minus-1 yard isn’t good — it’s that the Chiefs can’t afford a young passer who turns the ball over and makes the kind of mistakes Thigpen made.

But isn’t this season about experimentation? About finding out who’s got what?

Edwards said this is different. Cornerbacks and offensive linemen are one thing, but the Chiefs can’t live and die with a quarterback — regardless of whether it’s his first start — who throws three interceptions and at times appeared to have little control of where or to whom the ball was going.

Edwards said patience has gotten him through the first three weeks, the first time the coach has endured an 0-3 start. But neither he nor the Chiefs are in a position to have patience with their quarterback. At least not this quarterback.

“We found out a lot about him,” Edwards said. “He found out a lot about himself, too, and what it’s going to take to play in this league.”

Sure, Thigpen might be back. He improved Sunday after a horrific first half, completing seven of his first 10 passes after halftime. Then he targeted Dwayne Bowe late in the fourth quarter, forced a pass and watched as cornerback Chris Houston intercepted the pass and returned it for a touchdown.

All that progress, and that’s how Thigpen ended it. Two days later, Edwards hadn’t swished the sour taste left by that interception.

“You can’t win if you keep turning the ball over. I know that,” Edwards said. “We’re too fragile right now to turn it over. You can’t. That’s just one thing you cannot do. When you’re in that situation and you’re struggling, you don’t want a guy that’s going to turn the ball over. And right now, he’s turning the ball over.”

The Chiefs still have two games and an open date before they expect Croyle back. Coaches clearly haven’t seen enough of what they like from Huard, 35, to commit to him for the duration of Croyle’s absence. Huard was demoted to emergency quarterback during the preseason and since promoted, injured, demoted and probably promoted again. And that’s all been in about a month.

For now, the Chiefs don’t have the luxury of depending on the quarterback who helps them most, so instead they have to rely on the one who hurts them least.

“It’s a process,” Edwards said.

That process is expected to take them through one more quarterback change, maybe more, until Croyle returns. And that’s if Croyle can stay healthy once he’s back.

The Chiefs are trying not to think about that. The last two weeks have been complicated enough.

“One thing I do know,” Edwards said. “When Brodie gets back, Brodie’s got to play. And if he stays healthy, he’s going to play the rest of the season. And guess what? Tyler won’t play. He’ll never get an opportunity to play. And that’s good for us.”

ROYC75
09-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Herm Edwards is clearly the joke of NFL coaches........ Be gone Herm, just be gone, take Carl with you.

boogblaster
09-23-2008, 10:47 PM
It's a loss no matter ....

FAX
09-23-2008, 10:49 PM
“You’ve got to go as the game’s being played and what you feel, what’s best for your team in certain situations,” he said. “That’s what you always make decisions on as the head coach.”

I'm going to get myself a big piece of granite. This deserves it.

FAX

TinyEvel
wow. Herm throws Tyler under the bus in that last sentence. WOW.
Hell hath no fury like a HERM scorned!!!!

evolve27
I'm actually looking forward for Croyle to come back so we can still lose. We don't have a signal caller on our roster who can take us to the promise land.

FAX
09-23-2008, 10:50 PM
“And guess what? Tyler won’t play. He’ll never get an opportunity to play. And that’s good for us.”

ROFL ROFL ROFL

FAX

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm actually looking forward for Croyle to come back so we can still lose. We don't have a signal caller on our roster who can take us to the promise land.

Under Herm's direction their won't be read his latest presser, it's depressing as hell

FAX
09-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Yeah. If you have half a brain like me, it's difficult to read that press conference transcript. I can't believe this guy is a head coach in the NFL. It's really amazing. I wonder if he confuses himself as much as he confuses everyone else. He's a walking, talking double standard.

FAX

teedubya
09-23-2008, 11:09 PM
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/squirrel_nuts_1.jpg

Herm sucks squirrel nuts.

cdcox
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
wow. Herm throws Tyler under the bus in that last sentence. WOW.
Hell hath no fury like a HERM scorned!!!!

After he ran over him, he put it in reverse and squished him another time for good measure.

BigRock
09-23-2008, 11:33 PM
“And guess what? Tyler won’t play. He’ll never get an opportunity to play. And that’s good for us.”

ROFL ROFL ROFL

They completely botched that quote. He said Tyler not playing would be good for the team because it will mean that Brodie is back and playing well. He didn't say it like "it'll be good for us because Tyler sucks".

FAX
09-23-2008, 11:54 PM
They completely botched that quote. He said Tyler not playing would be good for the team because it will mean that Brodie is back and playing well. He didn't say it like "it'll be good for us because Tyler sucks".

I know, Mr. BigRock, I know. Although I'm not certain the transcriber was in error. It sounds exactly like something Herm would attempt to say. If so, you have to admit that it came out a little awkwardly from that ol' team chemistry point of view.

Herm is a riot, though. I envision the synapses in his brain short-circuiting as he speaks.

FAX