PDA

View Full Version : Science Hedge Apples (Balls)- natural pesticide?

chasedude
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I've used these things for years as a natural way of getting rid of those little pesky bastards trying to take up homage during these cooler months ahead.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Maclura_pomifera2.jpg/250px-Maclura_pomifera2.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Maclura_pomifera2.jpg)
My grandmother is the one who told me about this fascinating natural wonder many moons ago and I've tried to spread the word as much as possible.

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about click further

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_apple

I'm surprised though there is no mention of the pesticide effects of this interesting fragrant green ball in the wiki article. Am I the only one that knows of this? Is there anyone else out there that uses Hedge Apples or Balls to kill those spiders and crickets invading our home in the fall to winter months?

redskin
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I've heard of that, and I am currently using some in our basement to try and get rid of some crickets we have, but they don't seem to be having any affect.

Simply Red
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Man, I thought they were best discarded by slinging @ Herm and company @ Chief's games and not because he's black, of course...

Fairplay
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Today, the fruit is sometimes used to deter spiders, cockroaches, boxelder bugs, crickets, fleas, and other arthropods.

Yes i've heard of it. I suppose it works. There is a mention in the article that it doesn't work for spiders however.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I put some in the house to try and get rid of the wife with no luck.

Can you kill dogs and cats with them ?

wilas101
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I put some in the house to try and get rid of the wife with no luck.

Can you kill dogs and cats with them ?

depends on how hard you throw.

chasedude
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
My grandfather was a dairy farmer and cut down all the hedge trees. He said the dairy cows would eat them and dry up their milk.

cookster50
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
My mom uses them to keep out the critters. No clue as to whether or not they really work.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I've used them and I think there is something to it with spiders. Once they get cold, they'll turn black and shrivel up though.

If you put them in the house, but a little bit of foil under them.

I should probably go pick a truckload and sell them.

Bob Dole
09-24-2008, 01:17 PM
We used to pick up 20 or 30 of them dove hunting every year and then toss them in the crawl space.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
If I'd drive 2hrs north, I think I could sell them for $2 each.

Maybe I'll go hang treestands, check some trail cams and pick a couple of hundred and see what happens on craigslist or ebay...

Dave Lane
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I've used them and I think there is something to it with spiders. Once they get cold, they'll turn black and shrivel up though.

Anyone that wants any come by my house I'll put u together. I hate picking them up in the fall the gf used to wear a hard hat to keep from getting beaned in the head...

Dave

chasedude
09-24-2008, 01:21 PM

https://hedgeapple.com/orderform.html

There are trees all over the place here. 10$ for 4 balls!?!?! I could make a killing!

BigMeatballDave
09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
They DO NOT work for spiders.

Consistent1
09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I've heard of that, and I am currently using some in our basement to try and get rid of some crickets we have, but they don't seem to be having any affect.

Is it just me, or have the crickets been insane this year? We keep having them get into the house and have not figured out how they are doing it. Hell, I even went to Jewel the other night and crickets were chirping inside the store. Any ways to seriously avoid this?

seclark
09-24-2008, 02:48 PM
i think they work on spiders. i'd chuck a half-dozen or so under the crawl space of our old house every fall. can't do it at the new house cause the basement's finished. have to pull the sprayer w/the 4wheeler now.
the wood is excellent for fence posts and making long bows.
sec

chasedude
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
i think they work on spiders. i'd chuck a half-dozen or so under the crawl space of our old house every fall. can't do it at the new house cause the basement's finished. have to pull the sprayer w/the 4wheeler now.
the wood is excellent for fence posts and making long bows.
sec

I know of one guy that uses orange hedge in his smoker with apple and hickory. He says the Orange Hedge burns really hot so he controls the heat with it. He smokes up some good pork butts so he's onto something.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Anyone that wants any come by my house I'll put u together. I hate picking them up in the fall the gf used to wear a hard hat to keep from getting beaned in the head...

Dave

YOu have Hedge trees in your yard? you sure its not walnuts?

With Hedge balls, you have to pick them from the tree. Once they fall to the ground, they bruise and they'll blacken and rot fairly quickly.

seclark
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
the brother-in-law builds fence for a living. in the winter, i help him cut hedge to use for posts. i've found several deer sheds while helping him. ran one thru the front tire on his tractor.
sec

seclark
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM
YOu have Hedge trees in your yard? you sure its not walnuts?

With Hedge balls, you have to pick them from the tree. Once they fall to the ground, they bruise and they'll blacken and rot fairly quickly.

it's a helluva year for walnuts and hickory nuts. i've got them all over the yard, and it's downright dangerous trying to walk thru the woods.
sec

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
They fell early this year too....it should be pretty easy to find the early October Bucks.

seclark
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
They fell early this year too....it should be pretty easy to find the early October Bucks.

you got that bag of apples hanging from the tree under your stand?
sec

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
That wouldn't be considered ethical in iowania, sec.

I have picked some up off the ground and dumped them out in a field to feed the deer a treat though.

seclark
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
i've had 2 mineral blocks and a deer blind wash down the creek this summer. i bought another blind and took it down to set it up. the chair and the cooler that were inside the blind was still there, along w/someone's footprints. i went across the creek and up the hill to where i had another blind. it was gone too.

fricking thieves coming over onto my land from the west side. :mad:
sec

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
You want for I should come down there with some thumper tips on arrows and set a trap for them?

Put a new shiney blind about 30 yards from the other one...

MOhillbilly
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
best shotgun targets ever made.

seclark
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
You want for I should come down there with some thumper tips on arrows and set a trap for them?

Put a new shiney blind about 30 yards from the other one...

i couldn't get the new one set up. maybe too many beers? i got pissed and left it down there. going to grab the directions out of the shed and try it again tonight.
sec