PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Posnanski: With Millen out, now you wonder when Carl Peterson’s reign will end

Tribal Warfare
09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
With Millen out, now you wonder when Carl Peterson’s reign will end (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/812458.html)

Wednesday, one of the most amazing runs in the history of professional sports came to an end. The Detroit Lions finally fired team president Matt Millen. Early stories coming out of Detroit told of people in traffic honking their car horns in triumph, the way they might when a war ends. Who could blame them? In some ways, a war had ended.

A quick history: Matt Millen took over the Lions in 2001, having honed his management skills as a radio and television broadcaster. He took over with the Lions coming off a winning season. Well, obviously, that would not do. Millen went right to work and hired his first coach, somebody named Marty Mornhinweg, who promptly won five of his next 32 games and drew brief fame for electing to kick off at the start of overtime. Millen fired Mornhinweg and then hired Steve Mariucci, fired him and then hired Rod Marinelli, proving pretty conclusively that if you want to coach Matt Millen’s Lions, you better have an M leading off your last name.

Anyway, the Lions lost and lost — losing record every year — and fans booed, everyone screamed, and yet Millen somehow stayed in charge of the football team for more than seven disastrous seasons. How does that happen? It took the team owner’s son this week to finally and publicly mention that, hey, you know, maybe a general manager with an almost impossible-to-believe 31-84 record might not be doing the best work. And so it came to pass. Millen was axed. And the car horns blared.

The interesting thing to me about all this is not that the Lions canned Matt Millen five years after it was clear to everybody else that he was very bad at his job. That’s what bad organizations do. No, it is specifically those five long years that interest me. How do you deal with that as a fan?

There’s really not much fans can do when a team refuses to fire an incompetent general manager or lousy coach. Fans have limited options. Fans can — and do — write angry letters to the newspaper and scream on local talk shows. Fans can start up Web sites demanding that the teams make a move. Fans can, of course, stop going to games, though that almost seems like punishing yourself for your team’s sins.

Mostly, fans have that familiar and helpless feeling of just waiting around for the team to finally figure out the obvious, get rid of the problem and start over. Lions’ fans banged their heads against the wall for years and shouted, “Can you see this? Hello? Is anyone paying attention? Can somebody please fix my football team? Please?” It had to feel a bit like the moment when the power goes out in your house, and you call the power company, and you can’t get through.

You know where this is leading, of course: Now that Millen is finally gone, it seems to me that the most frustrated football fans in America may have shifted about 650 miles southwest. Now, frustration nation turns its lonely eyes to our fair city and the Kansas City Chiefs, losers of 12 consecutive games, a team that has not led a football game in 22 quarters, a team still being presided, generally managed and chiefly executed by one Carl D. Peterson (reign: 1989 to present).

Peterson presents a uniquely frustrating target for fans because he has been around longer than many of them have been alive. He started his job one month before George Bush became president. Not this George Bush. When Carl Peterson was hired, there was no such thing as a World Wide Web, there were no DVDs, cell phones were roughly the size of bar stools, Sarah Palin was a sports reporter in Alaska and Barack Obama was in law school (John McCain was an Arizona senator).

When Carl Peterson was hired, George Brett still had five years left to play (and a batting title to win), the Ickey Shuffle was the hot dance, Michael Jordan had not yet won his first NBA title and Michael Phelps had not yet learned how to swim.

When Carl Peterson was hired, Madonna and Sean Penn were still married, Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” was the No. 1 song in the land, and the comedy series “Seinfeld” had not even begun yet.

You get the point — Peterson has been around for a long time. His first nine seasons were good, often very good, but even that was a long, long time ago. You know all those dreary numbers. A senior in high school right now was 3 years old the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game. Over the last 11 seasons, including this one, the Chiefs have had four coaches, six or seven starting quarterbacks (is it Damon Huard again?), have made the playoffs just twice and have posted an overall losing record.

And now you would have to say that the saga of Carl Peterson has moved past the point of anger and into the realm of the absurd. Carl Peterson is not Matt Millen. Nobody deserves to be compared to Matt Millen. But right now, you would have to say that with Millen gone, Peterson is probably the biggest mystery in the NFL. Every week, dozens and dozens of frustrated fans write in, call in, yell at me from passing cars, all wondering, “How is Carl Peterson still running this team? How is it possible? Is anyone even paying attention? Will it ever change?”

These are hard questions to answer. That’s because there is no answer. I feel certain, though, that a few car horns will blare when the Chiefs finally move on.

SBK
09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice article. I bet we see a lot more like it!!

ChiefsCountry
09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
It will end December 29.

88TG88
09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Carl Peterson has moved past the point of anger and into the realm of the absurd
That about sums it up

Mecca
09-25-2008, 12:16 AM
It will end December 29.

You know how you know this team is jacked up?

The fact that we have to actually talk about if they'd be back or not after 0-16.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 12:19 AM
And hey Every Rose Has Its Thorn was a rockin tune!

SBK
09-25-2008, 12:20 AM

The fact that we have to actually talk about if they'd be back or not after 0-16.

This is true. :#

Mecca
09-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I honestly have doubts if Clark will make any moves.

teedubya
09-25-2008, 01:50 AM
a team that has not led a football game in 22 quarters,

oaklandhater
09-25-2008, 02:36 AM

Exactly most of the fan's right now have zero faith in clark :(

ChiefJustice
09-25-2008, 02:53 AM
And hey Every Rose Has Its Thorn was a rockin tune!

I think I just bit my tongue off.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 02:54 AM
I think I just bit my tongue off.

every rose has it's thorn...just like every night has it's dawn and every cowboy sings a sad sad song.

ChiefJustice
09-25-2008, 02:57 AM
every rose has it's thorn...just like every night has it's dawn and every cowboy sings a sad sad song.

A ballad does not "rock".

I don't care who sings it...most especially when sung by Poison,IMHO.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Hair metal is a fond memory.

Micjones
09-25-2008, 03:08 AM
My biggest fear is that Carl won't be fired, but asked to stay on as President.
Rendering him the new Jack Steadman who will end up hand-picking our next GM anyway.
Please don't let that happen Clark.

ChiefJustice
09-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Hair metal is a fond memory.

Would you cut your metal hair off if Peterson was fired?

(I mean that would be the only reason he wasn't sacked)

Mecca
09-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Would you cut your metal hair off if Peterson was fired?

(I mean that would be the only reason he wasn't sacked)

How short are we talking...people have offered me money before and I've declined.

ChiefJustice
09-25-2008, 03:27 AM
How short are we talking...people have offered me money before and I've declined.

Bald.

With a rat-tail

We are talking fan commitment here

It's the hair,or 2 more weeks of Carl and his brain trust?

Mecca
09-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Only 2 weeks, well hell I'm keeping my hair.

ChiefJustice
09-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Only 2 weeks, well hell I'm keeping my hair.

Crap,I should have given myself a little longer time frame as well.

I can't braid worth a damn with this damn mirror.

Skip Towne
09-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Pos is going to fool aroud and lose his press pass writing stuff like this.

Farzin
09-25-2008, 06:08 AM
I'll laugh at every Lion fan if they sign Carl Peterson next season

Goapics1
09-25-2008, 06:20 AM
King Carl's sphincter is tightning up!

Dartgod
09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
And they win a Super Bowl within 5 years. :banghead:

Lonewolf Ed
09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Millen was but an upstart Count. Carl, however, is a KING.

triple
09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
haha. that puts it in perspective - when Carl took office, Reagan was still president.

Brock
09-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Is anybody really just now wondering this?

CoMoChief
09-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Marty Mornhinweg, who promptly won five of his next 32 games and drew brief fame for electing to kick off at the start of overtime.

IIRC, wasn't that the whole Thanksgiving Day game where Jerome Bettis fugged up the coin toss? Or did Mornhinweg really elected to kick off at Overtime?!?!? LMAO

triple
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
yes, he deferred in overtime.

Skip Towne
09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
yes, he deferred in overtime.

I can see Herm doing something like that.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-25-2008, 08:31 AM

That's only 5 and a half games. Get over it. It's called life.

triple
09-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I can see Herm doing something like that.

Well, didn't they call a timeout to discuss whether or not to challenge a play?

It doesn't get any more clueless than that.

CoMoChief
09-25-2008, 08:51 AM
"When you play Herm ball, and you get behind......there's no coming back."

-CoMoChief-
9/25/08

CoMoChief
09-25-2008, 08:53 AM

Yeah that was ****ing dumber than shit.

I will say one thing.....that a lot of times as fans you don't really know whats all going on down on the sidelines unless the camera films it....and an NFL sideline sometimes can be one of the most chaotic (sp?) places on the planet.

CosmicPal
09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Damn....that was a depressing article.

morphius
09-25-2008, 10:15 AM

The best thing was that it was their last time out, so if they would have been allowed to call it they wouldn't have even been able to challenge.

NaptownChief
09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Peterson is one tough SOB, he has outlasted everything and everyone. He outlasted me that is for sure. With 25+ years of fandome I thought for sure I would be able to hang in and outlast his ineptitude but I was wrong. He beat me a couple years ago with his still being around and making the brilliant Herm trade.

He is a cockroach. I'm sure he will find some way to hang around beyond this supposed retirement date he gave. You guys will have great grandchildren haunted by him.

KCinNY
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Actually having a lead at some point in a football game????

That's arena ball.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2008, 06:42 PM

The last good Indiana Jones movie....

Nightfyre
09-25-2008, 06:44 PM

The last good Indiana Jones movie....

Ok, that's about all the salt in the wound I can handle.

banyon
09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/doormatt.htm

MahiMike
09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow, when Posnaski writes an anti-Carl article, it says something.

milkman
09-25-2008, 09:25 PM

And gives the Chiefs a first round draft pick to hire Herman ****ing Edwards, who of course would be on his way out the door already.