PDA

View Full Version : Football Raiders executive confronts local columnist

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow. At least the Chiefs haven't sunk to these depths.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ruiUgDyMf60&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ruiUgDyMf60&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nightfyre
09-25-2008, 01:06 PM
RIPOSTE!

The Franchise
09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
What the hell was that all about? I couldn't make out why they were arguing.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
The guy wrote a column about Kiffin being toast. Apparently the Raiders didn't like it.

Here's his response to the "confrontation."

Lane Kiffin isn't going anywhere until he hears the magic words — "your guaranteed money means nothing to me" — personally from Al Davis, and that appears to be a slow"... slow"... slow"... motion"... firing.

Al Davis isn't going anywhere, obviously, though we see and hear less and less of him every day. I miss you, A.D.!

Senior executive John Herrera definitely isn't going anywhere, because the truest-heart Raiders officials never go away, they just keep on battling.

And I'm not going anywhere, other than to New Orleans this weekend for the 49ers game. But I'll be back, I promise, Al and John.

So, for the time being, we're all stuck with each other, until the moment Davis pulls the trigger on the longest-rumored firing in the history of history.

That's fine and dandy — Herrera angrily confronted me right after Kiffin's news conference Monday, as Kiffin merrily strode by, but I'll take that sort of thing as long as it illustrates the larger issue.

Namely: the Raiders' burbling lunacy, which doesn't always manifest itself so vividly in public.

And I would guess the protracted proceedings are fine with Kiffin, who smartly will not accept a firing by proxy and most assuredly will not resign (and walk away from his remaining guaranteed money).

Maybe it happened in Monday's late hours. Maybe it will happen today. Maybe not for another few weeks.

Despite the executive-on-coach acrimony, Kiffin's 1-2 Raiders are playing solid football the past two weeks and the shocking revelation to Davis might be that he hates a guy who, gasp, can actually coach up his roster.

"Until I am told by Al Davis that I'm not the head coach here anymore, we're going to keep plugging away the same way we have been," Kiffin said at the news conference.

"I have not been told by Al Davis that I am not the head coach. Until he tells me directly, we'll keep plugging away. There are so many conversations around here that go on. To get into that, I'm not going to get into that right now."

That stance clearly did not refute the national reports that other officials have told Kiffin he would be fired.

Interestingly, Kiffin did the news conference wearing athletic garb, but not a stitch of Raider-logo clothing, which is the NFL fraternity's way of signaling that this coach no longer wants to be associated with the front office or ownership.

Also, Kiffin accepted the general point of my Herrera-enraging question — a question that referenced at least one attempt by at least one Raiders official to goose the argument in an anti-Kiffin direction.

Herrera didn't like that question and said my assumption that a senior executive printed out and distributed an article critical of Kiffin was a lie. It wasn't, by the way. Much frenzy accompanied our not-so-brilliant discussion.

All part of the Raiders landscape. Kiffin seemed to enjoy the festivities — at last, we saw behind the Raiders' curtain and that's what Kiffin sees every day.

Again, the Kiffin message: If Al wants to fire me, let Al and only Al fire me.

"There's no way I'm quitting, and that's got nothing to do with money at all," Kiffin said. "That has to do with our players. I talked a lot of these players into coming here at some point — obviously, money has a lot to do with that — in free agency over the last two years.

"A lot of our coaches, I recruited them and their families to come here and build this thing together. So the last thing I'm ever going to do is quit, the way that you guys are talking about quitting, or even quit behind closed doors."

No, this is all out in the open. It was there for the cameras and the tape recorders Monday.

Al, I'm with Lane on this one: If you're going to try to fire me, too, then you've also got to do that in person.

I like your senior executives. But we need to do this face to face.

Jewish Rabbi
09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Nice repost dumbshit

FAX
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
The guy wrote a column about Kiffin being toast. Apparently the Raiders didn't like it.

Here's his response to the "confrontation."

Not exactly, Mr. GoChiefs. An article was written, true. Copies of it were then distributed to other members of the press by a Raider executive. During the presser, this Japanese reporter guy asked Kiffen if he knew that these copies were being handed out. The Raider executive then went ballistic, denied that it happened, and the confrontation was in full swing.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
LOL, I love this Raiders columnist. I'm going to start reading him.

I thought, coming from New York, I had been exposed to every form of human behavior, bizarre and otherwise, but nothing compares with Raider behavior for outright knee-slapping enjoyment. Like what happened Monday at Lane Kiffin’s weekly press conference, like a Raiders official and a sportswriter almost got into a fight, as in mano a mano, as in, Whoopee!

Kawakami put his hand on Herrera’s arm in a peacekeeping gesture and said, “Calm down.”

Herrera violently threw off the hand. He was breathing hard, seething.

“Get your hand off me,” he shouted. “Get your (bleeping) hand off me.”

“Do you want to take a punch at me?” Kawakami asked in a calm voice.

“Yeah, I’d love to,” Herrera shouted.

“I’d love to own part of this franchise,” Kawakami said.

SBK
09-25-2008, 01:30 PM
The only way the Chiefs office could do this to local columnists would be to thrust harder to induce more of a gag reflex.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
The only way the Chiefs office could do this to local columnists would be to thrust harder to induce more of a gag reflex.

Actually it's happened before. I know of one local writer who was pinned to a wall by Carl Peterson. It was over something quite innocent, too.

They seem to be taking the glut of negative coverage quite well, though.

Gonzo
09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Nice repost dumbshit

Was that really necessary? :shake:

Mr. Plow
09-25-2008, 01:40 PM
"I'd love to own part of this franchise"

LOL

rtmike
09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Whatever it takes, if Bill Kularlich (sp?) wants to blindside Whitlock I'm all for it, anything to get this team playing.

FAX
09-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Actually it's happened before. I know of one local writer who was pinned to a wall by Carl Peterson. It was over something quite innocent, too. ...

That anecdote is only vaguely familiar to me, Mr. GoChiefs. Would you mind describing the details? It sounds very interesting.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
That anecdote is only vaguely familiar to me, Mr. GoChiefs. Would you mind describing the details? It sounds very interesting.

FAX

It's not public knowledge. It happened within the last few seasons.

Valiant
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM

FAX

Well, it is somewhat true.. But it was actually Athan putting Carls dick in his mouth and sucking.. Nothing was forced.. WPI had to do something to get a press pass and let amateur hour begin.. Not sure if anyone was taking pictures or not.. But I have my suspicions of one Clay Aik... I mean Clayton Aiken.. I mean some chubby guy named Wendler..

FAX
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
It's not public knowledge. It happened within the last few seasons.

Thanks, Mr. GoChiefs. But, in my world, those aren't what you call, "details".

Are you a'skeered of talking about it, or something? If so, maybe you could create another username and then discuss it.

FAX

JuicesFlowing
09-25-2008, 04:50 PM
The Raiders are a complete nuclear meltdown, and despite their better record, I'm enjoying the mushroom cloud over Oakland.

Skip Towne
09-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Are you a'skeered of talking about it, or something? If so, maybe you could create another username and then discuss it.

FAX

You can't believe anything he says anyway.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I cant wait to see Carl and Whitlock go toe to toe someday.

FAX
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
The Raiders are a complete nuclear meltdown, and despite their better record, I'm enjoying the mushroom cloud over Oakland.

It's pretty interesting to note that, even though the Raiders are in a state of utter and complete disfunction, they still beat us in our own house and boast a better record than ours. They should have defeated Buffalo, too. Most people would probably agree that they're neither more talented nor more experienced at key positions than the Chiefs. But here we are ... yet to win or even take the lead in a ballgame. It kinda makes you sick.

FAX

seclark
09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
It kinda makes you sick.

FAX

and bitter.
sec

FAX
09-25-2008, 05:06 PM

I'd take Carl. I think he could wear Whitlock down with some moves. Also, Carl strikes me as one of those guys who, when he's riled, goes "off" and would attack uncontrollably and unexpectedly. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some biting and scratching and eye gouging and junk kicking involved. It would just be too much for Whitlock to handle.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 06:05 PM

It would have already happened.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 06:05 PM

FAX

I was told in confidence. I shan't reveal the details.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I'd take Carl. I think he could wear Whitlock down with some moves. Also, Carl strikes me as one of those guys who, when he's riled, goes "off" and would attack uncontrollably and unexpectedly. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some biting and scratching and eye gouging and junk kicking involved. It would just be too much for Whitlock to handle.

FAX

Carl graduated from Westpoint. He was probably a real badass in his youth.

Whitlock's a former athlete, but I emphasize the word "former." He's in horrible shape.

FAX
09-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I was told in confidence. I shan't reveal the details.

Can you say the initials of the reporter? Or PM me with the information? (I promise not to say anything to anybody, ever, not even Mr. Skip Towne).

FAX

Valiant
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM
It's pretty interesting to note that, even though the Raiders are in a state of utter and complete disfunction, they still beat us in our own house and boast a better record than ours. They should have defeated Buffalo, too. Most people would probably agree that they're neither more talented nor more experienced at key positions than the Chiefs. But here we are ... yet to win or even take the lead in a ballgame. It kinda makes you sick.

FAX

Kiffen tries and put out a gameplan that will get his team to win.. Sometimes his players screw it up and they lose, because that is the Raider way of Players making boneheaded decisions..

Herm, I have no idea what his gameplan is.. It seems to be score enough points to be barely ahead and get in FG range and then rely totally on your defense(which is sucking).. Some of the plays they call baffle me.. And its not just 'hey lets try a draw on third and long this one time'.. Its 'Lets try a short play or draw every third and long'.. Teams telegraph our ****ing plays.. Again, I said it last year, If I can tell what the Chiefs are going to do, the other teams can do it also...

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Remember when we were playing the Raiders last year and we were up 6-0, and they were backed up against their goal line?

Kiffin dialed up a long pass on first down, I think, and it went all the way down the field for a huge gain.

I like Herm but I'm not sure he has the balls to ever do that.

Buehler445
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Didn't Herm go after DA a couple years ago and give him a firm finger shaking?

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Didn't Herm go after DA a couple years ago and give him a firm finger shaking?

Yeah, DA called Herm a liar. Or so Herm thought.