PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink meat bad?

Mr. Laz
09-25-2008, 05:17 PM
so is there any secret way to tell when cooked meat has gone bad? :spock:

1. no mold
2. doesn't smell funky
3. doesn't taste funky

don't remember when it was cooked though ... hasn't been like a month or anything but i don't remember when.

just eat it and if i die, i die ...... i suppose.

wish me luck :thumb:

teedubya
09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
if it has Monsanto genetically engineered growth hormone in it, its bad.

Trick answer... they all have it.

JuicesFlowing
09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I have no idea. I use the 2 day rule. If I cook/grill something on Saturday, then there is no way I'm eating it on the following Tuesday. But I have no idea. Of course, I'm the guy who tosses milk a day before the expiration date, so ...

seclark
09-25-2008, 05:23 PM
so is there any secret way to tell when cooked meat has gone bad? :spock:

1. no mold
2. doesn't smell funky
3. doesn't taste funky

no mold
doesn't smell funky
doesn't taste funky
hope this helps.
sec

FAX
09-25-2008, 05:25 PM

We have a grocery that offers organic beef. The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX has been purchasing that kind for several months. You wouldn't believe the difference in the taste. It's amazing, frankly. And scary.

As for how you tell if your meat is bad, Mr. Laz, if you have a dog, you can give him some, then wait. If he vomits, or dies, or starts repeatedly running headlong into the kitchen wall, it's probably bad.

FAX

JuicesFlowing
09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Excellent idea Fax. A guinea pig. i mean dog.

09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
If it starts coming out both ends it is no good. there is your tip of the day.

Mr. Laz
09-25-2008, 05:31 PM
don't animals have some kind of super smell and won't eat bad meat ... even if it's a little bad?

:hmmm:

Bugeater
09-25-2008, 05:31 PM
If it's been thoroughly cooked and in the fridge for less than a week I'd eat it.

keg in kc
09-25-2008, 05:33 PM
If it's been thoroughly cooked and in the fridge for less than a week I'd eat it.You sound like me.

Mr. Laz
If it's been thoroughly cooked and in the fridge for less than a week I'd eat it.
thoroughly cook ....... check
in the fridge ..... check

week? :shrug:

laz
~not looking forward to worshiping at the porcelain god all night~

Bugeater
don't animals have some kind of super smell and won't eat bad meat ... even if it's a little bad?

Dogs will eat anything, although they have stronger stomachs than we do. I'm pretty sure there are some animals that won't eat anything they didn't kill themselves.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Dude. Just order a ****ing pizza. If you can't remember when you cooked it, it's either really old, or you smoke a lot of pot.

JuicesFlowing
09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Dude. Just order a ****ing pizza. If you can't remember when you cooked it, it's either really old, or you smoke a lot of pot.

I was about to say, at this point, just throw it away and eat something else.

FAX
09-25-2008, 05:36 PM

Not really, Mr. Laz. I've seen a dog eat stuff that would make a Chinaman gag.

My rule of thumb is that, if it's cheese and not green, or it's meat and not blue, it's good.

FAX

Bugeater
09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
This reminds me of an old George Carlin bit...

Perhaps the worst thing that can happen is to reach into the refrigerator and come out with something that you cannot identify at all. You literally do not know what it is. Could be meat, could be cake. Usually, at a time like that, I'll bluff. "Honey, is this good?" "Well, what is it?" "I don't know. I've never seen anything like it. It looks like...meatcake!" "Well, smell it." (snort, sniff) "It has absolutely no smell whatsoever!" "It's good! Put it back! Somebody is saving it. It'll turn up in something." Thats what frightens me. That someone will consider it a challenge and use it just because it's in there.

FAX
09-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Waste not, want not.

Is it hamburger meat? Chicken meat? Bat meat? What is it?

FAX

09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
thoroughly cook ....... check
in the fridge ..... check

week? :shrug:

laz
~not looking forward to worshiping at the porcelain god all night~

Man up and eat the ****ing thing.

Then give us details :evil:

Mr. Laz
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Man up and eat the ****ing thing.

Then give us details :evil:
i did ROFL

i'll let ya know about :Lin:

New Yorker
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
when in doubt, throw it out.

If you didn`t eat it the day you cooked it, it`s probably bad already. Especially if you can`t remember when you cooked it.

I know exactly when I cook my foods so I rarely throw any out. As a matter of fact, I have a Sirloin Steak I grilled the other night. I will eat that as a snack later. :)

Lonewolf Ed
09-25-2008, 06:22 PM

I doubt it... otherwise, they wouldn't pillage dumpsters.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2008, 06:24 PM
If it's like a cold cut, that shit will start getting super greasy. Nothing more disgusting than a foul cold cut.

bogey
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Nuke it and eat it.

Frazod
09-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I recently cooked and ate some chicken that had been in the fridge too long but didn't stink yet. I was sick as hell for a couple of days over it, and I normally have an iron stomach.

If you're young and bulletproof, go for it. If you aren't, I would err on the side of caution and throw that shit out.

Frosty
09-25-2008, 06:58 PM

I recently saw a dog trotting down the road, dragging a piece of a leg from a road-kill deer. It looked like it had been out alongside the road for awhile. I don't think I would go by what your dog thinks of the mystery meat. :spock:

Buck
09-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Nuke the shit out of it, let it cool, refreeze. Seal in a vacuum bag, boil in a vat of a 6 cup water, 2 tablespoon iodized salt mixture. Cut open the vacuum bag, put in the oven to broil for 1 hour. Take out of oven, and cook on barbecue over low heat for 1 hour, and then you should be good.

Psyko Tek
09-25-2008, 07:07 PM
MEAT GOOOD

VEGGIES BAAAD

Frazod
09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
MEAT GOOOD

VEGGIES BAAAD

Over the summer I forgot about some broccoli and left it in the fridge too long. No doubt about it when that shit went bad. I triple-bagged it and threw it in the trash can, but that was the day after garbage pickup and that shit made my garage smell like rotted ass through all the bags AND the lid being on. Took about another week for the smell to fully dissipate after it was picked up, too. Goddamn that was gross.

:Lin:

Bugeater
09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Over the summer I forgot about some broccoli and left it in the fridge too long. No doubt about it when that shit went bad. I triple-bagged it and threw it in the trash can, but that was the day after garbage pickup and that shit made my garage smell like rotted ass through all the bags AND the lid being on. Took about another week for the smell to fully dissipate after it was picked up, too. Goddamn that was gross.

Heh, your trash day must be Friday like mine, I'd like to be able to throw shit away when the Mrs goes grocery shopping on Saturday, but then the shit will sit and stew in the garbage for a week, so I have to leave it all in the fridge until Thursday, and then I usually forget or I'm busy and don't have time and the shit sits in there for another week.

FAX
09-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I once kept a banana around until it turned hard as a piece of wood. It went from green, to green and yellow, to yellow, to yellow and brown spotted, to brown, to brown and black, to black, to solid like a rock. It was like the end of that movie "The Time Machine" where the time machine guy goes into the future and watches that corpse turn into dust. Spooky.

FAX

09-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Have you ever smelled rotten squid? :Lin:

I'll use it for bait and try and bury it in the backyard and the god awful stench comes through the dirt.

Frazod
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Heh, your trash day must be Friday like mine, I'd like to be able to throw shit away when the Mrs goes grocery shopping on Saturday, but then the shit will sit and stew in the garbage for a week, so I have to leave it all in the fridge until Thursday, and then I usually forget or I'm busy and don't have time and the shit sits in there for another week.

No, trash day is Tuesday. I just happened to throw the dead veggies out on Wednesday.

I would have just sat the trash outside, but my neighbor likes to hang out and grill in/in front of his garage, and it would have been really messed up to do that.

FAX
09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I once kept some soup in the refrigerator until it grew a face.

FAX

Frazod
09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Have you ever smelled rotten squid? :Lin:

I'll use it for bait and try and bury it in the backyard and the god awful stench comes through the dirt.

Ewwwwwwwwww

No calamari for me, thanks.

WilliamTheIrish
09-25-2008, 07:37 PM

No, they all don't.

Fish
09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Ehh.... If it doesn't stink and hasn't changed color, I say eat it. I have no problems keeping leftovers for 3-5 days.

Except sushi.... that did make for a bad weekend...

mikeyis4dcats.
09-25-2008, 09:05 PM
about 3 days for most things

Jewish Rabbi
09-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Just throw it in a pot with some antifreeze, heat until warm, and you have a nice evening soup.

Simply Red
09-25-2008, 09:12 PM
You'll be fine, laz

Phobia
09-25-2008, 09:17 PM
I usually throw that kind of meat in the freezer on my special shelf and it becomes chili in a couple months.