PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Were our coordinators finally turned loose?

petegz28
09-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I cannot help but notice the complete and total change in the playcalling on both sides of the ball. We have all seen Gailey offenses and Gunther defenses of the past and I think we can say what we saw the last 3 weeks were not typical of either.

Today, particularly on defense we seemed to play more agressive, particularly with the LB's.

One has to wonder if Herm's thumb was a little to heavy and maybe after last week the coordinators told him to back off some?

Maybe?

Hammock Parties
09-28-2008, 03:53 PM
It was refreshing to see Gailey going for the throat late in the game.

Then we ****in' bludgeoned them to death with lethal buttsex offense. **** YEAH!

ChiefGator
09-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I think LJ is finally rolling, and we are finally letting him run outside the tackles (like the end of the last game). Great game plan.

Oh, and our defense is learning. A very YOUNG defense too. Could be the beginning of a pretty good base for this defense and team.

petegz28
09-28-2008, 03:55 PM
It was refreshing to see Gailey going for the throat late in the game.

Then we ****in' bludgeoned them to death with lethal buttsex offense. **** YEAH!

Well considering we never took a shot in the first two times we were inside the 5 it was more revolutionary I thought.

We lucked out to a point since we didn't get 7 out of at least 1 of our 1st 2 possesions.

L.A. Chieffan
09-28-2008, 03:56 PM
We couldn't score 1st and goal within the 10 twice in 1st quarter. Let's not start sucking our dicks just yet.

Basileus777
09-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't think our offensive playcalling was all that different for most of the game. We just managed to actually get yards running up the gut. The turnovers and special teams really fed our offense too. We had excellent field position the entire game.

petegz28
09-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't think our offensive playcalling was all that different for most of the game. We just managed to actually get yards running up the gut.

Maybe. Just seems we were a little more open, particularly in the 2nd half. And on defense I thought we looked more like an old Gun defense rather thna Herm defense.

milkman
09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe. Just seems we were a little more open, particularly in the 2nd half. And on defense I thought we looked more like an old Gun defense rather thna Herm defense.

Cunther has been doing a lot of the things he likes to do since the season started.

The difference today is that we had two LBs that were able to make plays.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Does anyone wonder what would happen if Charles got one of LJ's downhill toss touches and got a seam? Anyone? I want to see more of Charles.

MTG#10
09-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't think our offensive playcalling was all that different for most of the game. We just managed to actually get yards running up the gut. The turnovers and special teams really fed our offense too. We had excellent field position the entire game.
What? We actually passed on first down a few times and threw the ball down the field. The play calling this game was a LOT better IMO.

kstater
09-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm not going to get all exited. I've fallnen for this trap before. Denver's D sucks, and the Chiefs still gave up 20+ points. The O's 33 points was an aberration, not something that will occur regularly.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm not going to get all exited. I've fallnen for this trap before. Denver's D sucks, and the Chiefs still gave up 20+ points. The O's 33 points was an aberration, not something that will occur regularly.

Uh, the final was 33 - <b>19</b>. Not quite 20+ points.

keg in kc
09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I thought it sounded less like a Gun defense today, and more like a Tampa-2.

philfree
09-28-2008, 07:00 PM
The zone blocking seemed to work and Larry made the cutbacks at the right time today. We also gave Huard some time and he was on. Up until today our blocking was so poor it was hard to tell what type of plays we were calling.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bearcat
09-28-2008, 07:05 PM

The first half was pretty Herm-like, with maybe one exception...

2nd quarter
3rd and 5 at KC 24 (7:28) (Shotgun) D.Huard pass deep left to D.Bowe ran ob at KC 40 for 16 yards.

...I was expecting a run, screen, or quick slant. Definitely not a pass PAST the first down marker.

Second half notables...

3rd/4th quarter

-- The entire drive where we went up 23-13 was the opposite of what we've done for the past 3 years. Ten play, 73 yard drive... only 12 rushing yards, and it's not like we had one huge play. We got decent chunks of yards through the air... 14, 17, 15, 10, and 10 for the TD. And look at the situation... we have the lead going into the 4th, and we're looking for more!! PBJ

-- The next drive to go up 26-16 was pretty Herm-like.. short run, screen, and then 3 straight runs before the FG.

-- The next drive to go up 33-19 was 4 straight runs, one on a 1st and 20 and another on 2nd and 16.

Hmmm... I was ready to say that it was completely different in the second half, but perhaps the outcome is a little deceiving. Given the situation, the drive to go up 23-13 is probably the best drive I've seen since Herm's been here. I guess the other stuff isn't anything to get real excited about, but that one drive was really nice!! :)

milkman
09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I thought it sounded less like a Gun defense today, and more like a Tampa-2.

We did set in our zones a lot, but there was a good mix of man and blitzes thrown in.

bishop_74
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM

They only scored 1 touchdown and 2 of those field goals were pretty impressive (over 50 yards). Thats not typical.

blueballs
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Did Gailey show Huard the fake hand off
for a quick strike to Webb
I about fell out of my chair

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I cannot help but notice the complete and total change in the playcalling on both sides of the ball. We have all seen Gailey offenses and Gunther defenses of the past and I think we can say what we saw the last 3 weeks were not typical of either.

Today, particularly on defense we seemed to play more agressive, particularly with the LB's.

One has to wonder if Herm's thumb was a little to heavy and maybe after last week the coordinators told him to back off some?

Maybe?

Stupid ****ing question.

The difference? Experience. The Chiefs have the YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE NFL. After three long weeks, the team is beginning to gel. Huard (sad to say) is the best QB on the roster. Period. The offensive line is beginning to play well together.

Franklin is healthy. The young secondary is beginning to get the hang of things the young D-line isn't wearing out early as in years past. D. Williams showed why he should be a starter.

With the team coming together somewhat and players knowing their assignments, the Coordinators can start expanding their packages and begin to show new looks.

This is a YOUNG team, people. It's not going to happen overnight and hell, it may not happen again next week.

The guys JUST need to continue playing together, gathering experience and preparing for the future.

smittysbar
09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
2nd youngest team dane, GB is the youngest

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 08:14 PM

26.1 versus 26.0.

And that was BEFORE the beginning of the season. The Chiefs have dumped a few "older" guys since and replaced them with younger players.

Trust me. They're the youngest team in the league.

L.A. Chieffan
09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
26.1 versus 26.0.

YOU JUST GOT OWNED GREEN BAY!

Zouk
09-28-2008, 08:26 PM

Only 1 Packer rookie plays on offense or defense (Jordy Nelson). 10 Chief rookies do.

keg in kc
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Stupid ****ing question.

The difference? Experience. The Chiefs have the YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE NFL. After three long weeks, the team is beginning to gel. Huard (sad to say) is the best QB on the roster. Period. The offensive line is beginning to play well together.

Franklin is healthy. The young secondary is beginning to get the hang of things the young D-line isn't wearing out early as in years past. D. Williams showed why he should be a starter.

With the team coming together somewhat and players knowing their assignments, the Coordinators can start expanding their packages and begin to show new looks.

This is a YOUNG team, people. It's not going to happen overnight and hell, it may not happen again next week.

The guys JUST need to continue playing together, gathering experience and preparing for the future.Shut up, Hollywood.

Fire Herm!

FAX
09-28-2008, 09:37 PM
The playcalling on 1st down was probably a little better, I think. We still ran a lot (which isn't necessarily bad considering LJ was having a career day). The main difference was that we used the pass on a couple of early series quite extensively even though we had the lead (that's kind of shocking, to be honest). All in all, a better job at keeping a defense off balance - especially in the first half. I'm not certain we're completly unpredictable, though. We did, after all, run twice as much as we passed on first down. And, there's this: Last week, we passed a lot in the second half because we had to. This week, we passed because we wanted to. A huge difference in the two games.

I suppose my main complaint in this game would be that (other than the TD pass to Gonzo in the 4th) we never took a shot in the redzone. That seems strange. I guess Herm was worried that we wouldn't get any points at all and would rather have the safe three.

1st down plays.

Run - Middle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Run - Off Tackle
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Run - Middle
Run - Middle
Kneel Down
Run - End
Run - End
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Middle
Run - Middle
Run - End
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - End
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Middle
Run - Middle

19 Runs
8 Passes
3 Incompletions

FAX

doomy3
09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
This is a funny thread because you started a couple threads during the game talking about how bad the coaching was. I guess when we win with that same gameplan, you completely change your mind though.

chiefs1111
09-28-2008, 11:05 PM
The playcalling on 1st down was probably a little better, I think. We still ran a lot (which isn't necessarily bad considering LJ was having a career day). The main difference was that we used the pass on a couple of early series quite extensively even though we had the lead (that's kind of shocking, to be honest). All in all, a better job at keeping a defense off balance - especially in the first half. I'm not certain we're completly unpredictable, though. We did, after all, run twice as much as we passed on first down. And, there's this: Last week, we passed a lot in the second half because we had to. This week, we passed because we wanted to. A huge difference in the two games.

I suppose my main complaint in this game would be that (other than the TD pass to Gonzo in the 4th) we never took a shot in the redzone. That seems strange. I guess Herm was worried that we wouldn't get any points at all and would rather have the safe three.

1st down plays.

Run - Middle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Run - Off Tackle
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Run - Middle
Run - Middle
Kneel Down
Run - End
Run - End
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Middle
Run - Middle
Run - End
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - End
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Middle
Run - Middle

19 Runs
8 Passes
3 Incompletions

FAX

Also when they were running L.J There were more off tackle runs instead of just up the ass every time.

chiefs1111
09-28-2008, 11:05 PM

1st down plays.

Run - Middle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Run - Off Tackle
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Run - Middle
Run - Middle
Kneel Down
Run - End
Run - End
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Middle
Run - Middle
Run - End
Pass - Drop Back - Inc
Pass - Drop Back - Comp
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Off Tackle
Run - End
Run - Off Tackle
Run - Middle
Run - Middle

19 Runs
8 Passes
3 Incompletions

FAX

Also when they were running L.J There were more off tackle runs instead of just up the ass every time. That was nice to see

kaplin42
09-28-2008, 11:21 PM
We couldn't score 1st and goal within the 10 twice in 1st quarter. Let's not start sucking our dicks just yet.

Best point in this thread. To me it seems that the players came to play, but the coaches didn't. I don't know if it's Herm handcuffing Gaily, or Gunther just being inept. But the play calling was absolutely atrocious today, as it has been for the last several years. How many times did we run a swing pass, or a dump off? Finally after getting clobbered again and again, they realized they had to change the plan.

In all honesty, we saw some good things today, some really good things. LJ looked great, the o-line looked like they actually belonged on a pro team(not all pro, but just good enough to be getting paid), Bowe actually caught the ball and the secondary on defense was damn good. But really, Denver is the better team, and the reason the Chiefs won, was because they looked passed us. They watched tape of the last 3 weeks, and thought to themselve that we can't even get out of our own way, so why the hell even bother.

Today's win, while great, and the game was a lot of fun to watch and was very exciting, needs to be kept in perspective. Last week, we didnt get a first down until 8:59 in the second quarter. And the two weeks before, were no picnic either.

Face facts, we won because of the "Any given Sunday" rule, and not because the Chiefs are a power house of any magnitude. King Carl, and Herm still need the boot after this season, so do Croyle, Huard, and the entire front office staff. We have some young exciting players, give them the chance to excel in this league and make the Chiefs competitors. But with the leadership the team has now, it will never, ever, happen.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't think some of you realize that they aren't always calling a swing pass. Sometimes - GASP - the guy running in the flat is the only player open.

Last week, we didnt get a first down until 8:59 in the second quarter. And the two weeks before, were no picnic either.

TYLER THIGPEN.

We had a "pro" quarterback under center today. Shocking that we looked competent on offense. Shocking, I say.

ChiefsCountry
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
We had a "pro" quarterback under center today. Shocking that we looked competent on offense. Shocking, I say.

No the running game kicked ass today. Quarterback had nothing to do with it today.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Quarterback had nothing to do with it today.

Please.

Fish
09-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Good thread.

I don't think our playcalling or game-planning was different in this game at all. We still tried to establish the run first, and not put too much pressure on the QB. Difference being, this game they executed well and it actually worked. Turnover ratio was in our favor. It's funny how much perceptions change because of a win.

Compare Fax's 1st down stats to last week's first down stats vs. Atlanta:

Pass -T.Thigpen sacked at KC 29 for -7 yards(55-J.Abraham).
Run -L.Johnson right tackle to KC 24 for 3 yards(50-C.Lofton).
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete short left to 42-M.Cox.
Run -L.Johnson left tackle to KC 31 for 7 yards (36-L.Milloy).
Run -L.Johnson up the middle to KC 22 for no gain (90-G.Jackson).
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete short right to 81-D.Darling.
Run -J.Charles left end to KC 33 for 11 yards (59-M.Boley).
Pass -T.Thigpen pass short right intended for 81-D.Darling INTERCEPTED
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete short right to 81-D.Darling.
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete short middle to 88-T.Gonzalez.
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete short left to 88-T.Gonzalez [98-J.Anderson].
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete deep left to 82-D.Bowe.
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete deep middle to 85-W.Franklin (36-L.Milloy).
Run -L.Johnson right tackle to ATL 34 for 48 yards (26-E.Coleman). FUMBLES (26-E.Coleman), ball out of bounds at ATL 27.
Run -L.Johnson up the middle to ATL 33 for 1 yard (56-K.Brooking).
Run -L.Johnson left end to ATL 17 for 6 yards (26-E.Coleman).
Run -L.Johnson up the middle to ATL 1 for 5 yards (36-L.Milloy).
Run -L.Johnson up the middle to KC 44 for 2 yards (56-K.Brooking).
Run -L.Johnson right end to ATL 30 for 13 yards (26-E.Coleman, 36-L.Milloy).
Pass -T.Thigpen pass short right to 82-D.Bowe to ATL 21 for 9 yards (26-E.Coleman, 55-J.Abraham).
Run -L.Johnson left end to ATL 19 for -2 yards (26-E.Coleman).
Run -L.Johnson right end to KC 16 for 9 yards (20-B.Grimes). PENALTY
Run -L.Johnson up the middle to KC 3 for -1 yards (71-K.Biermann, 90-G.Jackson).
Pass -T.Thigpen pass incomplete short right to 82-D.Bowe.
Run -L.Johnson right end to ATL 20 for no gain (52-C.Wire).
Run -L.Johnson up the middle to ATL 4 for 4 yards (26-E.Coleman).
Pass -T.Thigpen pass short left intended for 82-D.Bowe INTERCEPTED
Run -J.Charles up the middle to KC 17 for 3 yards (59-M.Boley).

Pasta Little Brioni
09-29-2008, 08:55 AM
No the running game kicked ass today. Quarterback had nothing to do with it today.

I disagree completely. Thigpen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and Huard wasn't spectacular, but he was very efficient and helped move the chains.

kaplin42
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think some of you realize that they aren't always calling a swing pass. Sometimes - GASP - the guy running in the flat is the only player open.

TYLER THIGPEN.

You're acting like Huard is the answer to our problems. I thought this was discovered last year, that he is most definately not a starting QB. Agreed that he is a step up from Thigpen, but that is not really saying a whole lot now is it.

Lzen
09-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Uh, the final was 33 - 19. Not quite 20+ points.

Must be that Kstate math. ROFL

Lzen
09-29-2008, 10:57 AM

QB had nothing to do with it? Are you serious? Look, I don't think Huard is all that great, either. But he is a whole lot better than Thigpen. Thigpen is horrible. Huard, for the most part, played pretty well against Denver.

HC_Chief
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
QB had nothing to do with it? Are you serious? Look, I don't think Huard is all that great, either. But he is a whole lot better than Thigpen. Thigpen is horrible. Huard, for the most part, played pretty well against Denver.

ZERO INTS.

ExtremeChief
09-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Huard always seems to be a little inaccurate in the first half, then finds his groove in the 2nd half. I think Huard may have been more of a difference than the playcalling. While not spectacular by any means, he did an efficient job and the offense seems to have more confidence with him under center.

Overall, the team seemed to play with more fire and intensity than the last two weeks. Not sure if it was because of the rivalry. Hopefully we see the same fire next week and these young guys continue to gain confidence.

blueballs
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Denver's _efense sucks
Denver's receivers couldn't take 3 steps and keep their footing
the end

MOhillbilly
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
somewhere around the third quarter i found myself standing on the bed screaming at the tv.

been along time. days like yesterday, the crowd coming through the radio, the cool fall day, the dog running for cover cause im going nuts.

i even seen stevie on the tube about the 4th.
it was the uproar.
yesterday was a great day.

CoMoChief
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM

TYLER THIGPEN.

Funny, you were all for the Thigpen experiment.

Funny how things change.

Some people on here are ****ing idiots.

Zouk
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Good thread.

I don't think our playcalling or game-planning was different in this game at all.

People who don't really know a lot of football always see losing as the result of two things and two things only: playcalling and effort. This is because they don't really understand all of the little things that must be executed properly to win the battle on each snap. And on virtually all plays at the professional level teams are not fooled or bowled over by superior effort - they are simply out-executed.

Bill Belichick explains this very well in the few times he speaks at length to the press.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I think this is a good point to discuss. Offensively, I was thoroughly NOT impressed with the play calling, particularly in the Red Zone. Most especially in the Red Zone after a turnover. After a turnover is when you can throw some garbage out there if you are ahead. Someone gives you a freebee, take a chance and try to stick the dagger. Shanarat has done this to us 10,000 times, but we just run the ball, run the ball, and.....run the ball. Most importantly, Herm's "safe" workhorse turned the ball over when he got upended, so running isn't all that safe either.

To their defense though, Huard did throw an aweful lot of bad balls. An aweful lot of them. But they had to be thrown to loosen up the D for LJ. And I have no freaking idea why they weren't trying to go downfield with Brodie. He throws much better balls than Huard does.

While there is improvement on offense, I'm not impressed by it.

Defensively though, this is the first time in years I've thought, "this is a well prepared group." I'm glad Herm let Gun throw some garbage at them. It was very very necessary. When Culter had as much time as he wanted, he was picking us to pieces. Hopefully we can continue to attack defensively.

Chiefshrink
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Precisely! We went against a pretty poor Run D:thumb:

Rausch
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I think the big difference is that Huard will lob it downfield even when Gonzo/Bowe are covered like a blanket. I don't know if it's confidence they'll make a play or he knows he's the 2nd or 3rd QB and just doesn't care but it's allowed us to make plays down the field.

Croyle seems like he plays not to lose, just as his brainwashing has taught him to...

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Funny, you were all for the Thigpen experiment.

I absolutely was not. Thigpen never deserved the opportunity to start. He hadn't shown anything to merit it. Please get your facts straight before you put words in my mouth.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Only 1 Packer rookie plays on offense or defense (Jordy Nelson). 10 Chief rookies do.

Good point. That would make us the youngest team (on the field) by far.

milkman
09-29-2008, 07:23 PM
While there is improvement on offense, I'm not impressed by it.

Did we actually improve on offense, or is it possible that their D-Line is every bit as bad as the right side of our O-Line?

Me, I think it's the latter.

I knew they were bad, but I underestimated just how bad they actually were.

Huard actually had time in the pocket in this game.

Oxford
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Thigpen never deserved the opportunity to start. He hadn't shown anything to merit it.

I doubt seriously that he deserves another one. I'd bet he is gone when Brodie Croyle comes back.

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Did we actually improve on offense, or is it possible that their D-Line is every bit as bad as the right side of our O-Line?

Yeah, I think we may need to temper enthusiasm with the knowledge that the goat defense is really, really bad.

FAX

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 07:58 PM

I was talking from a scheme perspective, but your point is valid. Particularly since that 65 yard run was sprung from the right side before their D could have been worn out.