PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things From Today's Game

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 05:11 PM
10. Nobody had any expectations today. I think most people at the tail gate just hoped the Chiefs wouldn't be embarrassed. The weather was a little warm, but not terrible. Nothing lots of cold beer wouldn't solve. Still not even close to a sell out, upstairs about 3/4 full, upper corners spotty. I know several people who dumped their tickets to go to the Kansas Speedway today. Think they made a bad choice.

9. I have to give credit where credit is due. Damon Huard played a very good game today. But he was not put in danger where he could be knocked around. In the first three quarters, all the pass plays were very safe. They only went deep a few times, and each time the ball was off target out of bounds. But Huard hung in, took a few shots and played well. Props to him, he really did a good job today. No picks, no ugly sacks. Great job, and a key to victory.

8. Major props to Herb Taylor. When Brandon Albert went down, looked like the offense would grind to a halt. Taylor did a very good job. Held up his side of the line and helped break LJ loose on several runs to his side.

7. Major props to rookies in the defensive secondary. Brandon Carr gave up a TD to Marshall, but that was all. Flowers got a big fumble recovery and run. Carr held Marshall in check the rest of the day. Patterson isn't a rookie, but close, and played well as a nickel back today. Bend but not break, overall a fine job today.

6. Dorsey was gassed by the third quarter. He needs to build some stamina or he'll have a long year. I think he's getting doubled a lot, especically in passing situations.

5. Tamba Hali is playing hurt. He went down to the locker room about 2 minutes from halftime and looked like he was in a lot of pain and was walking very slowly. I think his knee is bad, and wouldn't be surprised to see him sit for a few games. The kid from Gardner-Webb played OK, but he's kind of light and also didn't do much in the fourth quarter. All the D-line guys looked totally gassed by the end of the game.

4. LJ was LJ today. It's the hardest he's played all year,and he really had a good day. He hung in there, didn't brood when things didn't go well, and put the hammer down on Denver in the last two minutes. Almost 200 yards and 2 TDs...that's why they pay him the big bucks.

3. Why did it take till late in the third quarter to discover that number 88 guy? TG is money, just throw him the damn ball. Of all the players, I felt the best for him today. He's a warrior, and it was good to get a win against a big rival like Denver for TG.

2. Savage kickoff runback to the 50 was a thing of beauty. If that kid gets enough chances, he'll break one this year.

1. It was a great day today, but we won despite our offensive game plan. We got 4 turnovers, which was the difference. Herm is just as hard headed as Marty, maybe more so. On the first two first and goal situations, the Chiefs didn't throw the ball into the end zone ever. That's six attempts from first and goal, NO throws into the end zone, settle for 3 points and 3 points. We got lucky with turnovers today. If we play this conservative later, and play for field goals,it'll bite us in the ass, guaranteed.

Still, a win is a win. I was very happy to be there today. Even if we don't win another game this year, we can still have this win over the Donks. It's always a good day to send all those Denver fans on a nice 600 mile drive home.

the Talking Can
09-28-2008, 05:14 PM
solid

Zouk
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Tamba Hali was not on the field at the end of the game. He's definitely hurt.

The game plan was to play around Damon Huard and the passing game. The very conservative game plan worked. And I disagree we "got lucky" with turnovers. After playing lots of "agressive" man-to-man (with blitzes) the last 2 weeks, today we went back to Bucs, Bears, Colts zone D and rushed only 4 on most downs. The whole point of the D is to get turnovers - and it repeatedly did.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 05:41 PM
And I disagree we "got lucky" with turnovers.

When was the last time the Chiefs had a pick by a linebacker and a d-back in the same game?

On the pick to Brandon Carr, Cutler has a guy down the middle of the field totally wide open, didn't see him, and threw the ball all the way cross-field and got picked. That was lucky for KC. Could have been 7 for Denver if he spots the guy running free down the center.

Zouk
09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
On the pick to Brandon Carr, Cutler has a guy down the middle of the field totally wide open, didn't see him, and threw the ball all the way cross-field and got picked. That was lucky for KC. Could have been 7 for Denver if he spots the guy running free down the center.

Yeah - that's true. But in general our zone D was well prepared for Denver's route combinations and was in the right spot. That many turnovers without a real significant pass rush is kind of amazing really.

Bearcat
09-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I agree that we were lucky the first half FGs didn't come back to bite us, but it was great to see us play for the win in the second half instead of just trying to hold on and win on the final play. I don't have much faith at this point that it's anything more than an anomaly, but it doesn't matter today. :)

PhillyChiefFan
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Good post. I'm happy that we got 1, now that the pressure is off, I want to see them only get better and start to gel as a unit.

Otherwise, good day and I'm so happy we got our win. Awesome day for LJ and Gonzo.

RJ
09-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Good job with that, gblowfish.

MIAdragon
09-28-2008, 06:05 PM
" Brandon Carr gave up a TD to Marshall"

Carr played that VERY well, it was just a great throw and catch.

Deberg_1990
09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
On the first two first and goal situations, the Chiefs didn't throw the ball into the end zone ever. That's six attempts from first and goal, NO throws into the end zone, settle for 3 points and 3 points.

This is why Herm will never win anything of significance.

Ill bet even if he had the Cowboys personel he would do the same thing.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Carr played that VERY well, it was just a great throw and catch.That is my take as well.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Agreed, but it was his man, and he got beat. Only once though, that's the important thing. He also got a pick, so that helps make up for it.

keg in kc
09-28-2008, 06:25 PM
He also got a pick, so that helps make up for it.That's way more important than Marshall scoring the TD. Every CB gets beat. The good ones don't let it get to them. And Carr didn't, today at least. That's a great sign.

CupidStunt
09-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I really don't know if you can call a 6'4" receiver catching a pass near the top of his extension as the CB getting beat. There aren't many ways to defend that. Carr had decent position, but Cutler had all day to throw and it was simply one of those throws that the WR is going to come down with more often than not. It was either going to be a TD or an overthrow/incompletion. They lucked out. The trick is to not let the QB have all that time to throw, and then it has no chance of happening.

Halfcan
09-28-2008, 06:51 PM
nice write up-as usual

TinyEvel
09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Good post. Man, if Huard can friggen learn to throw the big one IN BOUNDS that would be a game-changer. Like 4 of his first 5 biggies were out of bounds.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention. Brandon Albert was really into it today...he came off the field after the first TD and was pumped up, he was really feeling it. Too bad he got hurt, and hope his injury doesn't hold him out for too long. We really need him to play as much as possible this year. He could be a fixture like Will Shields was, if he can stay healthy. Here's hoping he's back soon.

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention. Brandon Albert was really into it today...he came off the field after the first TD and was pumped up, he was really feeling it. Too bad he got hurt, and hope his injury doesn't hold him out for too long. We really need him to play as much as possible this year. He could be a fixture like Will Shields was, if he can stay healthy. Here's hoping he's back soon.

Judging by the other two times we picked a DT and OL in the first round, he will be a good one.

BigRock
09-28-2008, 07:20 PM

I haven't studied the replay or anything, but watching at the time I thought Carr jumped just a hair too early. If he'd waited a tick, maybe he tips it or gets the pick. But he seemed to learn from it on the play where he did get the INT, so no complaints here.

Saleenman607
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Most excellent take, good sir. My sentiments exactly. Hopefully the team can turn a corner and use this as motivation. Continue to persevere.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Page was coming over to fill the passing lane.

dallaschiefsfan
09-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I have very little good to say for Herm and his ability to put together a winning game plan. However, the one bright spot so far on defense are our two young corners. Carr and Flowers have a long way to go, but I've not been this excited about corner play since Hasty/Carter. Hope it continues. Part of me is glad Surtain is unavailable right now...

boogblaster
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Nice and to the point ... We finally played like we wanted to be paid ...

LiL stumppy
09-28-2008, 07:59 PM
When was the last time the Chiefs had a pick by a linebacker and a d-back in the same game?

I think Cutler got cocky and was trying to score instead of not seeing the 6'7 260 lb TE in front of him :D

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2008, 08:00 PM
For those who went to the game, the program they give to you in the parking lot had a great article about Carr in it. He just wants to keep proving people wrong. I think we got a good one boys.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Page was coming over to fill the passing lane. I don't think that's true. Check out this freeze frame from right before Cutler throws back across right. Look down the center. Nobody there but a receiver and a ref. That goes for a TD, Page nowhere to be seen.

blueballs
09-28-2008, 08:12 PM
It sure was sweet hearing the tommohawk chop today
music to Chief fans' ears

Hammock Parties
09-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I see your 4:3 screencap and raise you widescreen.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4456/pagecs1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Cutler should have dumped it to Graham. Dumbass!

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 08:15 PM
He's still wide open. Everyone knows Page can't tackle in the open field anyway.

milkman
09-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Cutler gets that pass to the TE long before Page gets there if he throws it.

Basileus777
09-28-2008, 08:17 PM

There is no chance that Page closes in quickly enough to prevent a completion.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 08:18 PM

It didn't seem like Carr was in terrible position on this play. He did his best to try to break it up but was beaten by a top-notch WR. Shit happens.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't think you guys realize how fast the NFL is. There's no way Cutler could get that ball 40 yards down the field without Page making a play on it.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
It didn't seem like Carr was in terrible position on this play. He did his best to try to break it up but was beaten by a top-notch WR. Shit happens.

No, I totally agree. I'm just saying that was the only thing that really happened to the secondary today to result in points.

I'm more concerned with our inability to hold teams in third and long. We gave up a frickin' 3rd and 18 on a screen pass today. If we can cut out those kind of plays, our defense can get off the field and save a little something for the fourth quarter.

Don't get me wrong, I think Carr played a great game today. I really do.

milkman
09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think you guys realize how fast the NFL is. There's no way Cutler could get that ball 40 yards down the field without Page making a play on it.

Cutler has a strong arm.

His pass is going to beat Page on that same play every time.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
No, I totally agree. I'm just saying that was the only thing that really happened to the secondary today to result in points.

I'm more concerned with our inability to hold teams in third and long. We gave up a frickin' 3rd and 18 on a screen pass today. If we can cut out those kind of plays, our defense can get off the field and save a little something for the fourth quarter.

Don't get me wrong, I think Carr played a great game today. I really do.

Agreed. We still need pressure on the QB. This seems to be our major shortcoming at this point.

Nice job on the report.

KCUnited
09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't think our + turnovers was luck either. DJ's catch maybe, but our guys were in full strip mode all game. McBride with a punch, DJ with a blatant strip, even on tackles guys were trying to strip the ball. It seemed to me our D was making a conscious effort to strip the ball today.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't think our + turnovers was luck either. DJ's catch maybe, but our guys were in full strip mode all game. McBride with a punch, DJ with a blatant strip, even on tackles guys were trying to strip the ball. It seemed to me our D was making a conscious effort to strip the ball today.

Agreed, but when you create turnovers against a team averaging 30-plus points a game, you can't kick field goals and expect to win very often.

I saw this over and over again with the 1980's Chiefs. They' play great defense, get turnovers, kick field goals (that's why Nick Lowrey had so many points) and lose 21-13.

Same thing here. Today we were lucky because both teams were settling for field goal trys.

Buehler445
09-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Agreed, but when you create turnovers against a team averaging 30-plus points a game, you can't kick field goals and expect to win very often.

I saw this over and over again with the 1980's Chiefs. They' play great defense, get turnovers, kick field goals (that's why Nick Lowrey had so many points) and lose 21-13.

Same thing here. Today we were lucky because both teams were settling for field goal trys.

Great thoughts G.

I agree with this. After Dungver got the ball back after their 4th turnover, we had 16 points IIRC. I was thinking to myself that its over. You can't force 4 turnovers and not put up points. But luckily Dungver pissed down their leg and we started running and blocking. But this team most certainly won despite Squirmin Herman.

KCUnited
09-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Agreed. I took it as saying getting the turnovers were lucky. I totally agree we were lucky our lack of production after getting the turnovers didn't come back and bite us. Going into todays game the Chiefs had generated 0 points off turnovers, I honestly believe Herm was satisfied to kick the FGs just to say we scored something off the turnovers we got early in the game.

WilliamTheIrish
09-28-2008, 08:59 PM

I totally agree with this. It looked spectacular on TV. I would ove to have been in that EZ to see how high Marshall got to bring that ball in. It looked like it was overthrown and Marshall just went up and snatched it.

Great throw, great coverage, spectacular grab.

blueballs
09-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Giving up yards while going for the strip
is not something I want to see happen a lot

Chiefshrink
09-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Only once though, that's the important thing. He also got a pick, so that helps make up for it.

Carr popped his NFL cherry today and became professional cornerback in the NFL:thumb:

Swazey
09-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Carr popped his NFL cherry today and became professional cornerback in the NFL:thumb:

Talk about a potential 5th round pick steal.... Our rookies are pumped! Especially Flowers... The dude couldn't be more congratulatory.