PDA

View Full Version : Football Funny Raiders

Buck
09-29-2008, 03:01 PM
So I'm pretty sure that most of you didn't get a chance to catch the Chargers-Raiders game yesterday.

Up 15-0, with 4 seconds left in the half, and on their own 41 yard line, The Raiders sent out Janikowski to attempt a 76 yard field goal. The kick was quite impressive landing right about at the Goal Line where Antonio Cromartie fielded the ball. But seriously, wtf, you'd rather attempt a 76 yard field goal, than a 59 yard Hail Mary?

I think that Lane Kiffin is purposely trying to make a mockery out of the Raiders before he gets fired.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I saw that. I chuckled at first, but was quite amazed the ball made it to the middle/back of the endzone. Five yards closer and he might have made it.

Sure-Oz
09-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Janikowski's leg is insane

Chief Faithful
09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
If there is a guy that can break the record it is Janikowski, but 76 yards? I'm glad the coach let him try.

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Keep up the good work Kiffin.

Oh wait he beat us. DOH

chiefs1okie
09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I was on a run to the grocery store and listening to the game on the radio...the announcer originally said they were going to try a 67 yard FG. I remember watching him kick in the pre game warm ups at Arrowhead this year and thinking... 67yds...he can make that.... he is going to break the record... then the announcer said 76 yards and I LAUGHED!!! No way are they really going to try that.....

Bowser
09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Hell, didn't he put one through the crossbars on a kickoff at Arrowhead?

Spott
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
From that distance they should have had Janikowski turn around and face the other way just to piss off Al Davis.

88TG88
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought it was one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen. Great job Faiders :thumb:

pr_capone
09-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

its actually quite brilliant

it is not unheard of for janikowski to hit 70+ in warmups. if the wind was with them.... why not give it a go?

best case scenario he makes it n gets the record... worst case scenario its like a really long punt.

at least the team would be prepared for the possibility of a return as opposed to a shanked kick.

also, at this point... u really think kiff gives a flying fück about what it looks like to trot jan out for a 76er?

lol

Buck
09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

it is not unheard of for janikowski to hit 70+ in warmups. if the wind was with them.... why not give it a go?

best case scenario he makes it n gets the record... worst case scenario its like a really long punt.

at least the team would be prepared for the possibility of a return as opposed to a shanked kick.

also, at this point... u really think kiff gives a flying fück about what it looks like to trot jan out for a 76er?

lol

Not really, Antonio Cromartie was back to return it, and the Chargers special teams were treating it as a return.

In 2007, Cromartie returned a Missed Field Goal at the end of the half 109 yards for the longest play in NFL History

Howlin Wolf
09-29-2008, 03:36 PM

thats what I was thinking- it's not like they were behind in the 4th quarter, then it would have been dumb.

kstater
09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I think that Lane Kiffin is purposely trying to make a mockery out of the Raiders before he gets fired.

This.

But the Raiders already are a mockery. Personally, I think he's doing what he can to send Al over the edge.

CoMoChief
09-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Hell, didn't he put one through the crossbars on a kickoff at Arrowhead?

yeah you also get 10 yards to run up to the ball, let alone any kickoff type FG would get blocked due to the low trajectory.

Braincase
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Al probably made the call himself.

Over-Head
09-29-2008, 05:25 PM
This.

But the Raiders already are a mockery. Personally, I think he's doing what he can to send Al over the edge.
That old f*** is ALREADY over the edge.
Will someone just off him already?

chief52
09-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Actually, it was very good strategy in my opinion. Kiffin talked about it after the game. He has seen Janikowski make FGs from 73 or so in practice. The Raiders let the clock run down and then called TO. There would be no time left on the clock. Kiffin said they would have never done it if there would be time left because of the field position they would have had to give up. SD would have instantly been in FG position following a miss.

But with the no time left, there was a chance for three and basically no risk. Smart move.

Bugeater
09-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

lol
Ummm....no. When you miss a field goal the opponent gets the ball where you kicked it from.

KurtCobain
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Ummm....no. When you miss a field goal the opponent gets the ball where you kicked it from.

yeah but they fielded it for a return.

chief52
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Not in this case. There was no time left on the clock. Good move by Kiffin.

Buck
09-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Actually, it was very good strategy in my opinion. Kiffin talked about it after the game. He has seen Janikowski make FGs from 73 or so in practice. The Raiders let the clock run down and then called TO. There would be no time left on the clock. Kiffin said they would have never done it if there would be time left because of the field position they would have had to give up. SD would have instantly been in FG position following a miss.

But with the no time left, there was a chance for three and basically no risk. Smart move.

Dude, watch this, seriously.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNYUwfazzsQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNYUwfazzsQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaFace
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't mind the call given the circumstances. I'd hope that the ST coordinator warned his team to watch out for the return, but you might as well let Janikowski give it a try. :shrug:

chief52
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Buckin'

Of course your kicking team is ready to defend the miss. You can not change your strategy because there is an extremely small chance of a return. You think because one time they returned 100 plus for a TD any team is going to change their strategy?

You need to listen to Kiffin's post game. He obviously considered all his options, including a return, and did what he felt was best for his team. I think it was a great move. Chance of three with no risk. If there was any risk, it was of a block, not a 100 plus yard return.

Think about it...

Not a Kiffiin fan by any stretch, but love to see a guy go against the norm when he can back it up. The odds of something good happening for him were way higher than the odds of something good happening for the Chargers. That is why he made the decision.

Odds of something good were higher than odds of something bad. If that is the case, have some balls and go for it.

Any coach could have sat on it...

Buck
09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Buckin'

Of course your kicking team is ready to defend the miss. You can not change your strategy because there is an extremely small chance of a return. You think because one time they returned 100 plus for a TD any team is going to change their strategy?

You need to listen to Kiffin's post game. He obviously considered all his options, including a return, and did what he felt was best for his team. I think it was a great move. Chance of three with no risk. If there was any risk, it was of a block, not a 100 plus yard return.

Think about it...

Not a Kiffiin fan by any stretch, but love to see a guy go against the norm when he can back it up. The odds of something good happening for him were way higher than the odds of something good happening for the Chargers. That is why he made the decision.

Odds of something good were higher than odds of something bad. If that is the case, have some balls and go for it.

Any coach could have sat on it...

IMO,

The Chances of making that 76 yard field goal are probably about 0.1%, the Chances of Cromartie returning it for a TD is probably 2-3%.

The Chances of completing a 60 yard hail mary is probably about 2-3%, while the Chances of an INT for a TD on a hail mary is probably about 1%.

This is based on the fact that your FG Blocking team isn't used to running down the field and covering a return.

The numbers aren't exact, but you get my point.

chief52
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
IMO,

The Chances of making that 76 yard field goal are probably about 0.1%, the Chances of Cromartie returning it for a TD is probably 2-3%.

The Chances of completing a 60 yard hail mary is probably about 2-3%, while the Chances of an INT for a TD on a hail mary is probably about 1%.

This is based on the fact that your FG Blocking team isn't used to running down the field and covering a return.

Kiffin disagrees with your math...and so do I, but I get your point.

My point is I can see how a coach would just run the clock out, but I can also see why Kiffin went for it. It was not a crazy move by any means. Risks? Maybe, but there are risks every time you step on the football field.

I admire his strength to go against the book which is all too rare in an NFL coach. It was not some crazy idea. He thought it through.

tk13
09-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I thought it was hilarious just to see everybody set up 8 miles away down the field for a FG attempt.

bowener
09-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Is there a possibility that this was meant solely as a punt knowing that the chargers would try and return it no matter what? I think he kicked it farther than a punter may have been able to. If it went in by some insane chance, that would just be an amazing feat.

SBK
09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
When I watched that I thought that if there was ever a guy who could make 75 yarders on a consistant basis, he'd have to be the #1 pick. There'd be no other player that would so drastically change your gameplan as a guy that's good from your own 40.

Quesadilla Joe
09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
IMO,

I think that Janikowski could make that field goal 1 out of every 10 tries. Al Davis just wanted to see his first round pick make history:)

Ugly Duck
09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

it is not unheard of for janikowski to hit 70+ in warmups.

There was only one (1) second left before the half & Jano makes 'em in practice sometimes. Not a bad use of one second.

ChiefsLV
09-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Not really, Antonio Cromartie was back to return it, and the Chargers special teams were treating it as a return.

In 2007, Cromartie returned a Missed Field Goal at the end of the half 109 yards for the longest play in NFL History

Was that the same game that Adrian Peterson set the NFL record for most rushing yards in a game by a single player? Just wonderin. :p

Quesadilla Joe
09-30-2008, 01:48 AM
http://bangcartoon.com/2008/alsheimers.htm LMAO

King_Chief_Fan
09-30-2008, 06:50 AM
There was only one (1) second left before the half & Jano makes 'em in practice sometimes. Not a bad use of one second.

I will have to agree with the ugly one.

chief52
09-30-2008, 07:19 AM

Pretty much sums it up, Duck...

Buck
09-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Is there a possibility that this was meant solely as a punt knowing that the chargers would try and return it no matter what? I think he kicked it farther than a punter may have been able to. If it went in by some insane chance, that would just be an amazing feat.

No, I think it was 1st down, and the Raiders could have just let the clock run out, but they called a Time Out with 1 second left. No way you punt it in that situation.