PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gonzo pissed that he didn't get record

Mr. Laz
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
against the donks, at home and in front of all his family he had at the game.

said they were gonna stop the game and do a ceremony and everything.

just saw him on the news

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah that sucked but you knew there was NO ****ING WAY Herm was gonna throw it with the lead.

Brock
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
bummer

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah that sucked but you knew there was NO ****ING WAY Herm was gonna throw it with the lead.

How do you think they got ahead 23-13?

Rain Man
09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm angry that they didn't put the camera on his pseudowife October even one time.

TrickyNicky
09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Maybe thats why he just packed up quietly and left without saying much to anyone after the game.

I was at the game confused because I thought he got enough for it but they didn't announce anything.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
If thats true, thats just wrong....

Especially after a big win.

BigRedChief
They should have did it at home. The games in hand. Throw a 1 yard pass and let him get the record.

Mr. Arrowhead
He was complaining that we should have thrown it when we were up by 7 with 2 minutes to go, there is absolutely no way you pass in that situation, any thing can happen, like a tip pass for a pick or something.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 06:12 PM
They should have did it at home. The games in hand. Throw a 1 yard pass and let him get the record.
Its not like the playbook is to complex. Basically with Huard, all we can manage is the 3 yard outs...

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
He was complaining that we should have thrown it when we were up by 7 with 2 minutes to go, there is absolutely no way you pass in that situation, any thing can happen, like a tip pass for a pick or something.
Herm? is that you?

Just like handing the ball off, 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad. You could fumble, lose yards or gain yards...

Brock
09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think you do anything foolish to satisfy a guy's ego.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't think you do anything foolish to satisfy a guy's ego.

didnt DV do that at the end of one season with TG? Didnt they just chuck him the ball so he could get his 100 catches?

Seems like they did that with Priest one time as well...

Mr. Arrowhead
09-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Herm? is that you?

Just like handing the ball off, 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad. You could fumble, lose yards or gain yards...
i rather ensure a win than get Tony some record, i think its really selfish on tony's part that is speaking out about it. If this was LJ, people would be bitching like no other.

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM
You know Marty and Vermeil would have made sure he got the catch and yardage. Marty would have been kissing him James Hasty style too. Terrible shame that the coach(es) couldn't throw him a bone.

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
i rather ensure a win than get Tony some record, i think its really selfish on tony's part that is speaking out about it. If this was LJ, people would be bitching like no other.

Don't fault TG until you hear the actual quote. He's become apt with the PC interviews, so I doubt what he said was that bad.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Don't fault TG until you hear the actual quote. He's become apt with the PC interviews, so I doubt what he said was that bad.
i heard the interview on 610, and he was bitching just like LJ was couple of weeks ago

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
When you've lost 12 games in a row, what's 13 right? LAWL, you guys bitch about the wobble launcher all day long, but hey, for Tony **** it, if we lose we lose, just try and get him the record. You armchair coaches would be here today screaming for Herm's head if he'd done it and Damon threw a pick 6. Period.

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
i heard the interview on 610, and he was bitching just like LJ was couple of weeks ago

Really? That surprises me. He should know better. :huh: But the coaches had no reason not to throw him one more pass.

RustShack
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Maybe if he would have fought for a few more yards..

Mr. Arrowhead
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
he did have a dropped pass in the first half also

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
When you've lost 12 games in a row, what's 13 right? LAWL, you guys bitch about the wobble launcher all day long, but hey, for Tony **** it, if we lose we lose, just try and get him the record. You armchair coaches would be here today screaming for Herm's head if he'd done it and Damon threw a pick 6. Period.

And that's why us fans get paid the big bucks. :p

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 06:24 PM
And that's why us fans get paid the big bucks. :p

That said, I really wish he'd gotten it yesterday. He's definitely earned it. Just not at the expense of the rest of the team IMO. Tony may be disappointed but deep down I'm sure he realizes this.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
That said, I really wish he'd gotten it yesterday. He's definitely earned it. Just not at the expense of the rest of the team IMO. Tony may be disappointed but deep down I'm sure he realizes this.

Fitting that this post was my 10,088th :D

Hootie
09-29-2008, 06:27 PM
If he asked the coaches to get him those two yards, they should have gone out of their ****ing ways to do so IMO.

He's Tony Gonzalez and we're still a 6 win team at best. You honor the guy at home in front of the fans.

Valiant
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
How do you think they got ahead 23-13?

Defense and running the ball??

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
If he asked the coaches to get him those two yards, they should have gone out of their ****ing ways to do so IMO.

He's Tony Gonzalez and we're still a 6 win team at best. You honor the guy at home in front of the fans.

In the middle of a 12 game losing streak? With a group of kids that really have no experience winning a big divisional game in the NFL? I guess we'll never know what your reaction would've been had he done it and the Chiefs somehow lost, but my guess is it would not have been good. I have a hard time believing anyone comes on this board today and says, "Well, we lost our 13th in a row to the Donkos at home, but at least we tried to get Tony the record."

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Well here ya go. I guess if you have NO confidence in your QB or TE, then Herm has a legit reason. I guess he didn't want another "Miracle" (at the Meadowlands) happening at his expense. Man, Herm's sphincter must have been tighter than a duck's ass....

Gonzalez disappointed to end 3 yards shy of record

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - A disappointed Tony Gonzalez wants to know why Kansas City coaches refused to throw a short pass his way in the final minutes Sunday, leaving him 3 yards short of the career tight end receiving record.

Gonzalez did have a 10-yard touchdown catch in a 33-19 victory over Denver that snapped the Chiefs' 12-game losing streak. But he wanted to set the receiving record in front of family and fans at Arrowhead Stadium.
"I had my family out there. I wanted to do it in front of the fans, in a home game," Gonzalez said. "It would have been a great way to do it. I'm disappointed by that, for whatever reason my number wasn't called at times."

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs didn't want to take a chance by throwing the ball late in the game.

"After it was a two-possession game, we never got the ball back," Edwards said.

Gonzalez likely will get the record this week at Carolina, far from the fans who chanted "Ton-Y, Ton-Y" when he lay on the ground, the wind knocked out of him, after making the touchdown catch that stretched the NFL TD record for tight ends to 68.

"It was really endearing, the way the fans were supporting me like that," he said. "My wife almost started crying. It was a goose-bump situation."

Gonzalez, a nine-time Pro Bowler, uncharacteristically declined to speak with reporters immediately after the game. On Monday, after a private meeting with Edwards, he remained miffed.

He was thrown only a few passes as the Chiefs stuck mostly to a ground game that included Larry Johnson running for 198 yards and two touchdowns.

Gonzalez finished with 47 yards on three catches, including the one that stretched his NFL touchdown record for tight ends to 68. His last catch went for 23 yards in a drive that ended in a field goal and a 26-16 lead with 3:49 left.

The Broncos drove down for a field goal with 2:06 left and tried an onside kick. The Chiefs got possession, and Johnson carried four straight times for the clinching touchdown.

When Gonzalez was told he was only 3 yards from Shannon Sharpe's record of 10,060 yards receiving, he asked coaches on the sideline if he could get the ball.

"I asked anybody who would listen to me at that point," he said.

He said he had no idea why he wasn't thrown the ball.

"I've been trying to think about it all last night and this morning. There are a couple of different answers for that, stuff I agree with and stuff I don't agree with."

Gonzalez insisted there was "no controversy, no bad blood" after meeting with Edwards.

"I have ultimate respect for Herm, and I think he has that for me, too," Gonzalez said. "We talked about it face-to-face, man-to-man. It is what it is, and hopefully it will make us a better football team. I'm still a little upset about it.

"But it's something I'll get over," he added. "The victory was more important than anything."

Edwards agreed there were no hard feelings

"Tony's fine. We wish we could have got him the record, too," Edwards said. "But the game, the way it unfolded at the end, we really couldn't afford to throw a pass. A minute, 47 seconds left in the football game, it's a one-possession game. You can't throw a pass when you only lead by one score.

"What if something bad happens when you decide to throw that pass?"

Had Gonzalez gotten the record, the Chiefs planned to halt the game and make note of the milestone.

"It's not about the record. The record's going to come, no matter what," Gonzalez said. "It's just that I wanted to do it in front of the fans. I wanted to do it at home. I wanted to do it against the Broncos, our rivals. I felt like we had won the game anyway, and I thought I could just go out and get a little catch. It just didn't work out that way."

SAUTO
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
didnt DV do that at the end of one season with TG? Didnt they just chuck him the ball so he could get his 100 catches?

Seems like they did that with Priest one time as well...

yep. and how many ****ing times did we **** up and lose a game JUST like the one we were in yesterday????

Hootie
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
In the middle of a 12 game losing streak? With a group of kids that really have no experience winning a big divisional game in the NFL? I guess we'll never know what your reaction would've been had he done it and the Chiefs somehow lost, but my guess is it would not have been good. I have a hard time believing anyone comes on this board today and says, "Well, we lost our 13th in a row to the Donkos at home, but at least we tried to get Tony the record."

I already have given up on caring about W's and L's for this team this year...a win, great bonus...a loss, hopefully we took some positives out of the game and didn't waste another friggin' snap on Tyler Thigpen.

A quick out to Tony Gonzalez, or at least a low risk pass attempt to try and get the face of the Kansas City Chiefs a little hometown love in a year where the fans really don't have a lot of hope anyways would have at least been a pretty nice highlight for the season.

I, however, don't give a shit either way. I just want our young guys to keep playing like they did last game.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I got a little choked up too, Tony.

SAUTO
09-29-2008, 06:40 PM
i dont want tgo qoute that whole mess but you forgot to boldface "the VICTORY was more important than anything" we won so quit crying its a team sport

SAUTO
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I already have given up on caring about W's and L's for this team this year...a win, great bonus...a loss, hopefully we took some positives out of the game and didn't waste another friggin' snap on Tyler Thigpen.

A quick out to Tony Gonzalez, or at least a low risk pass attempt to try and get the face of the Kansas City Chiefs a little hometown love in a year where the fans really don't have a lot of hope anyways would have at least been a pretty nice highlight for the season.

I, however, don't give a shit either way. I just want our young guys to keep playing like they did last game.

with the way our qb's play a 3 yard out could turn into a pick 6 REAL easily. how deflating to this young team to get a vet a record HE WILL GET ANYWAYS

BigRock
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM

A 7 point lead is not "in hand".

This whole thing is stupid considering the circumstances. The Chiefs only ran 3 plays on their final series, which was right after Tony came within the 2-3 yards he needed. LJ broke a big run, had a short one, and then broke the TD run that put the game away. If it he hadn't broken those big runs, they'd have had a few extra plays.

What did Tony want, for LJ go down at the 5 on that last play? The guy makes plenty of money, he can fly his family to Carolina.

Mr. Plow
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
They had the opportunity to get it to him. 3rd and 4 and we got a 1 yard....loss or gain....can't remember....on a run. Resulted in the last field goal. They could have tried to run more time off by getting the first...and get him his 2 damn yards.

I don't blame him. I'd be pissed too.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 06:44 PM

I think under any cirumstances TG gets blanketed. I respect your opinion, but in my opinion this team needs to win some games. They need to learn how to win in the NFL. It's the most important thing that they will do this year IMO. If they work hard they will progress. The ones that matter all have that talent. If we go 4-12 or worse this year, I'm afraid the kids will start developing loser mentality.

StcChief
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
I think under any cirumstances TG gets blanketed. I respect your opinion, but in my opinion this team needs to win some games. They need to learn how to win in the NFL. It's the most important thing that they will do this year IMO. If they work hard they will progress. The ones that matter all have that talent. If we go 4-12 or worse this year, I'm afraid the kids will start developing loser mentality.
oh you mean like every year/play...

Hootie
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM

Yeah I really don't care either way...I'm glad we got the win...I suppose something bad could have have happened had we attempted to get Tony Gonzalez the record...but that is Herm Edwards for you. If anything might go wrong, it will go wrong, so run the ball up the middle and bring out your FG kicker!

FAX
That was wrong, wrong, wrong. If Herm had a brain in his head, he should know that, A) He needs Gonzo on his side in the locker room and B) Gonzo's success will sell tickets.

All he needed was two friggin' yards. We could have gotten him those yards.

I hereby declare Herm to be a dumbass.

FAX

CoMoChief
Its not a selfish remark.

The guy has been the face of this team since 2000, most of those seasons ending in turmoil.

It would have been nice to have him break it at home. It's a personal achievement yes, but it's also a stamp in the HOF and would give him title to best TE ever to play the game regardless of what horse face says.

It would have been Tony's superbowl, because he knows he isn't winning one with the Chiefs at least.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah I really don't care either way...I'm glad we got the win...I suppose something bad could have have happened had we attempted to get Tony Gonzalez the record...but that is Herm Edwards for you. If anything might go wrong, it will go wrong, so run the ball up the middle and bring out your FG kicker!
uhh you know we scored a TD right?

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Herm's chicken.

FAX

DeezNutz
09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Herm's chicken.

FAX

What about Herm's chicken?

Unusual pet.

StcChief
09-29-2008, 07:11 PM
That was wrong, wrong, wrong. If Herm had a brain in his head, he should know that, A) He needs Gonzo on his side in the locker room and B) Gonzo's success will sell tickets.

All he needed was two friggin' yards. We could have gotten him those yards.

I hereby declare Herm to be a dumbass.

FAX

The marketing opportunity commercial etc, seems to have been overlooked. Carl, and company really are running very loose ship here.

Agreed. Herm is (still) a dumb a$$

pr_capone
09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
HERM PLAYS TO WIN THE GAME... NOT TO GET A PERSONAL RECORD FOR AN INDIVIDUAL

LMAO

I've got a solution though...

Sit Tony G till the next home game. Start Cottam and give him a taste of what his future holds.

First game back home.... first play is a pass to Tony.

Everyone wins.

DT58HOF
09-29-2008, 07:21 PM

ROFL you sure your not just a blowfish?

SAUTO
09-29-2008, 07:21 PM
HERM PLAYS TO WIN THE GAME... NOT TO GET A PERSONAL RECORD FOR AN INDIVIDUAL

LMAO

I've got a solution though...

Sit Tony G till the next home game. Start Cottam and give him a taste of what his future holds.

First game back home.... first play is a pass to Tony.

Everyone wins.

ROFL we have a game to win sunday

Davechief
09-29-2008, 07:22 PM
The win was important, but I believe you get your Team Icon (basically our only icon) the record. We surely had a safe play that could have been called at some point in those few minutes. This season isn't likely to full of many highlights in spite of yesterdays outcome, and to see Gonzo get the record against horse faces old team would have been something.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
You can't throw a pass when you only lead by one score.

This is why Herman ****ing Edwards equals EPIC FAIL. EPIC. Jesus ****ing Christ. On offense with a one score lead, you need to do whatever you can do to add 7 points to your lead. Holy ****ing cowballs. So That's it, if we're up by three, it's running until we punt and they score a goddamned TD to win.

That horse ****ing sack of bullshit will punt every goddamn time with a "one score lead." (Which could be three goddamned points), because "You can't throw a pass when you only lead by one score."

**** me in the goat ass. Goddamn it what did we do to deserve Herman ****ing Edwards. ****!

**** SQUIRMIN HERMAN EDWARDS

pr_capone
09-29-2008, 07:28 PM
**** me out the goat ass. Goddamn it what did we do to deserve Herman ****ing Edwards. ****!

**** SQUIRMIN HERMAN EDWARDS

I believe the quote is

"fück me in the goat ass"

rep for having classic sandler in mind tho

Buehler445
OK, now that that is off my chest, I think you work it in there. Yeah something bad may happen, but but something incredibly good may happen also. They get 4 yards to break the Donko bitch's record, they stop the game, have a ceremony, all the young guys are looking up to the best tight end ever to play the game receive incredible cheers from the home crowd. This is the shit that stays with a young guy. Especially a first year one.

Hammock Parties
Stop overreacting. He was talking about the game situation, i.e. it's foolish to throw a pass when you're trying to burn clock inside of 2 minutes.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 07:29 PM
I believe the quote is

"fück me in the goat ass"

rep for having classic sandler in mind tho

Sorry dude. Fixed.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Stop overreacting. He was talking about the game situation, i.e. it's foolish to throw a pass when you're trying to burn clock inside of 2 minutes.

Here are Herm's exact words:

You can't throw a pass when you only lead by one score.

I read that as any pass with any lead. You're probably right, just within 2 minutes blah blah blah, but the fact that he would even say that is mother****ing ludicrous .

What a ****hole.

Braincase
09-29-2008, 07:31 PM
They should've found a way to make it happen. Period.

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
OK, now that that is off my chest, I think you work it in there. Yeah something bad may happen, but but something incredibly good may happen also. They get 4 yards to break the Donko bitch's record, they stop the game, have a ceremony, all the young guys are looking up to the best tight end ever to play the game receive incredible cheers from the home crowd. This is the shit that stays with a young guy. Especially a first year one.

Another thing you have to consider, Mr. Buehler445, is that Gonzo is probably the most consistent, dependable TE in the game. Probably one of the most consistent and dependable to ever play the game - at least in the top 5 or so. Odds are that he would either make the catch or knock it down. With that in mind, a short crossing route to Tony against that horrible defense is a pretty darn safe play.

Herm is a dumbass.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 07:32 PM

I read that as any pass with any lead. You're probably right, just within 2 minutes blah blah blah, but the fact that he would even say that is mother****ing ludacrist.

What a ****hole.

You're still overreacting. He was purely talking about that specific game situation.

In fact, if you remember, we were up 16-13 and driving and we threw about four passes in a row. Touchdown. So give Herm some credit.

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:33 PM

I read that as any pass with any lead. You're probably right, just within 2 minutes blah blah blah, but the fact that he would even say that is mother****ing ludacrist.

What a ****hole.

We need to cut Herm some slack, here. Nobody in this league throws a pass when they're only ahead by one score. Nobody.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 07:36 PM
We need to cut Herm some slack, here. Nobody in this league throws a pass when they're only ahead by one score. Nobody.

FAX

Not to be condescending Mr. Fax, but with under 2 minutes to play on your opponents 30? I don't think anyone would, honestly.

kstater
09-29-2008, 07:36 PM

FAX

You're right, no coach worth his salt would throw a pass with a one score lead under two minutes to go.

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:37 PM
What about Herm's chicken?

Unusual pet.

Herm's chicken is a strange, little bantam mother that hides under the chicken house all day long saying "okay, okay, okay" over and over and getting his ass kicked by all the other chickens.

FAX

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Not to be condescending Mr. Fax, but with under 2 minutes to play on your opponents 30? I don't think anyone would, honestly.

Never happened. Never will.

EDIT: Okay, all smartassism aside, I can see Herm's point on this deal. The main thing was protecting the lead. I understand that. But I think that, in this case, you have to make an exception. Gonzo is money. A short curl or crossing pattern is pretty darn safe with him. If we're talking about situations here, you have to remember that Gonzo is extremely dependable and experienced. As I mentioned, if he can't make the catch, he's going to make darn sure no one else will either. In fact, he's exactly the guy you look for when you need the 5 yards in a crucial situation. Plus, keep in mind we were playing against a really, really bad D. A short pass to Gonzo in that circumstance is probably just as safe as running the ball considering that LJ had already fumbled once.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Herm's chicken is a strange, little bantam mother that hides under the chicken house all day long saying "okay, okay, okay" over and over and getting his ass kicked by all the other chickens.

FAX

But not the rats.

DeezNutz
09-29-2008, 07:40 PM

FAX

LMAO

I'm reminded of my favorite pick-up line: You like chicken? (yes) Well, then how 'bout macOOOck.

It warms the nether-regions of many a tan and busty woman...

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
You're still overreacting. He was purely talking about that specific game situation.

In fact, if you remember, we were up 16-13 and driving and we threw about four passes in a row. Touchdown. So give Herm some credit.

Goddamnit, I know he was talking about this specific game, but the fact that Squirmin Herman would ever even say that is assenine. Completely off base. How many good teams try to mismatch people on a pass.

I mean ****ing christ. You've got the best TE to ever play the game still playing at a VERY high level, send him to a Fade right, you've got a 6'2 220 allsortsa physical crazy athlete in Bowe, send him across the middle, you've got 2 speed guys in Darling and Franklin that can go to the left corner, and you've got a decent pass catching FB for the flat. You've got a good pass catcher in Charles who has some moves or can try to get outside. I don't know what the **** more you want for weapons.

Moreover, we absolutely do NOT have the horses to run whenever we want, so that leads people to stacking the shit out of the box with the short field and us kicking (and sometimes missing 26 yard..)fieldgoals.

If you are truely going to play to win the game you try to create talent mismatches, scheme mismatches, and try to SCORE. Yeah you have to be cognizant of plays that may end in INTs, but come on that play to win the game schtick is bull****ingshit if you ask me.

J Diddy
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Never happened. Never will.

EDIT: Okay, all smartassism aside, I can see Herm's point on this deal. The main thing was protecting the lead. I understand that. But I think that, in this case, you have to make an exception. Gonzo is money. A short curl or crossing pattern is pretty darn safe with him. If we're talking about situations here, you have to remember that Gonzo is extremely dependable and experienced. As I mentioned, if he can't make the catch, he's going to make darn sure no one else will either. In fact, he's exactly the guy you look for when you need the 5 yards in a crucial situation. Plus, keep in mind we were playing against a really, really bad D. A short pass to Gonzo in that circumstance is probably just as safe as running the ball considering that LJ had already fumbled once.

FAX

Or even a wr screen with gonzo lined up wide

Sure-Oz
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Understandable, we could've gotten him 3 more yards somehow....lets just bench him this week so he can get it at home, not like we'l win in Carolina!11111111

Sure-Oz
09-29-2008, 08:21 PM
We could've thrown a quick swing pass or something....Gonzo>Herm

Was it that hard to make sure he got the ball 1 more damn time?

PastorMikH
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
I may be the only person on here that feels this way, and I'll probably get blasted for it but here goes.

Hey Tony, break a tackle for your extra 3 yards.

It would have been nice to get Tony the record at home playing the donkeys, but I'm happy with a W. Now, I thought Huard did a decent job out there, but going into the game sunday, he had averaged an interception for every 8 throws and I'd rather get a W than see Huard throw an INT trying to get TG 3 yards.

El Pendejo
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
The Rat would have made sure an all time great like Tony G got his record in front of his home crowd. Especially when his team is running a gawd damned clinic. Tony is right to feel slighted...maybe I'm missing something as a Donks fan...but he's always seemed to carry himself well and flat out produce. Give the ****er his three yards...in front of the people who will most appreciate it. It does mean something.

Sure-Oz
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I may be the only person on here that feels this way, and I'll probably get blasted for it but here goes.

Hey Tony, break a tackle for your extra 3 yards.

It would have been nice to get Tony the record at home playing the donkeys, but I'm happy with a W. Now, I thought Huard did a decent job out there, but going into the game sunday, he had averaged an interception for every 8 throws and I'd rather get a W than see Huard throw an INT trying to get TG 3 yards.

Would be nice if Gonzo didn't have to post up and get drilled everytime as soon as he caught the ball from our QB's. I can't remember the last time we hit Gonzo on the run. Even that TD was a basic throw up and hope he catches it

TrickyNicky
09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Would be nice if Gonzo didn't have to post up and get drilled everytime as soon as he caught the ball from our QB's. I can't remember the last time we hit Gonzo on the run. Even that TD was a basic throw up and hope he catches it

Even a shitty Broncos D was in our backfield all day. Running well helped, but we still don't have the kind of time for Gonzo to run deeper routes down the middle.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Agreed. Tony G puts up bad friggin ass stats in the worst possible situation.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Even a shitty Broncos D was in our backfield all day. Running well helped, but we still don't have the kind of time for Gonzo to run deeper routes down the middle.

I think he is referring to the quality of pass. On any route.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Goddamnit, I know he was talking about this specific game, but the fact that Squirmin Herman would ever even say that is assenine. Completely off base. How many good teams try to mismatch people on a pass.

I mean ****ing christ. You've got the best TE to ever play the game still playing at a VERY high level, send him to a Fade right, you've got a 6'2 220 allsortsa physical crazy athlete in Bowe, send him across the middle, you've got 2 speed guys in Darling and Franklin that can go to the left corner, and you've got a decent pass catching FB for the flat. You've got a good pass catcher in Charles who has some moves or can try to get outside. I don't know what the **** more you want for weapons.

Moreover, we absolutely do NOT have the horses to run whenever we want, so that leads people to stacking the shit out of the box with the short field and us kicking (and sometimes missing 26 yard..)fieldgoals.

If you are truely going to play to win the game you try to create talent mismatches, scheme mismatches, and try to SCORE. Yeah you have to be cognizant of plays that may end in INTs, but come on that play to win the game schtick is bull****ingshit if you ask me.

JESUS little B, your on a roll tonight! REP~

FAX
09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
The Rat would have made sure an all time great like Tony G got his record in front of his home crowd. Especially when his team is running a gawd damned clinic. Tony is right to feel slighted...maybe I'm missing something as a Donks fan...but he's always seemed to carry himself well and flat out produce. Give the ****er his three yards...in front of the people who will most appreciate it. It does mean something.

My goodness, Mr. El Pendejo. It appears you have more brain stuff than all the other goat fans combined! Congratulations!

FAX

Chiefnj2
09-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I didn't realize it was only 3 yards. That sucks that Herm/Gailey didn't try one short pass on that final possession. That's how a coach loses a struggling team.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I didn't realize it was only 3 yards. That sucks that Herm/Gailey didn't try one short pass on that final possession. That's how a coach loses a struggling team.
Hey we had a huge lead, no need to "run up the score" by playing arena ball!

jidar
09-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Man, you don't have to do anything too stupid, it's 2 god damned yards to the greatest Tight End to play the game. Just do it.

Dick Vermeil got it done for Tony and for Priest.
I guess I can't blame Herm Edwards for not trying though, he and everyone else knows that he isn't half the coach Vermeil is.

jspchief
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Wait. Didn't we only run something like 3 plays after Gonzo's TD? I mean seriously, 1 first down would have locked the game up. After that, maybe we would have considered it. It jus thappens that LJ broke off a TD run while trying to get that first down.

Anyone that thinks that final drive should have been played differently is ****ed in the head. I'm sorry that Gonzo didn't get the record in what was the perfect scenario, but in the grand scheme of things he should be happy that his team won for the first time in 13 games.

Mr. Laz
09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Really? That surprises me. He should know better. :huh: But the coaches had no reason not to throw him one more pass.
what ... you just thought i made this shite up?

:moon:

Chiefnj2
09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Damon should have claimed a faulty helmet and called a short pass play to Tony.

What's Herm going to do, bench him for Mr. 40% completion rating?

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Its not like the playbook is to complex. Basically with Huard, all we can manage is the 3 yard outs...

I guess you DIDN'T watch the game then, Jackass

DeezNutz
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Damon should have claimed a faulty helmet and called a short pass play to Tony.

What's Herm going to do, bench him for Mr. 40% completion rating?

Isn't there a story like this about the Pats and their first SB victory? The sideline was calling for a ball-control approach, and Bledsoe went over to Brady and essentially said, "**** it, Tommy. Sling it."

BigRock
09-29-2008, 09:31 PM
I didn't realize it was only 3 yards. That sucks that Herm/Gailey didn't try one short pass on that final possession.

Yeah, it really sucked that LJ broke off those two big runs and scored. Didn't he know Tony needed another catch? Instead of icing the game, he should have sat down at the 3 yard line so they'd have to run more plays.

LJ. What a douchebag.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 09:33 PM

God bless you for actually knowing WTF happens in games.

FAX
09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Both sides of this argument have merit. Clearly, a win supercedes any personal goal or record (at least, it should). But I still think that, given Gonzo's proven dependability, the short yardage needed, and the sheer incompetence of the goat defense, it would have been a sufficiently safe play and they should have taken the shot.

What I don't understand is why peeps think that breaking the record at home was somehow unimportant. Far from it. Wherever it's broken, our young players will be a part of history when it happens. It will be very good for our players' mental state. And it's even better, obviously, if the landmark moment occurs at Arrowhead. The guys would see a lot of love from the fans and that would do nothing but improve our team chemistry. You can't buy, or practice, or coach that kind of morale boost. One would think that Herm would recognize that.

FAX

BigRedChief
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
A 7 point lead is not "in hand".
What did Tony want, for LJ go down at the 5 on that last play? The guy makes plenty of money, he can fly his family to Carolina.
I didn't want him to break it for him or his family but for me. I've been a season ticket holder his whole career (until this year) and it doesnt matter if we throw to Tony. He'll catch it and the clock will keep running.

He deserved to hear the home town applause and we deserved to give it to him.

In the future I'll not remember this game, who won or who lost but I'll remember that moment when a spontenaeous chant of Tony! Tony! broke out among us fans. Not because he scored a TD but what he had given us over the years and the crowd acknowledging his greatness and career.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Both sides of this argument have merit. Clearly, a win supercedes any personal goal or record (at least, it should). But I still think that, given Gonzo's proven dependability, the short yardage needed, and the sheer incompetence of the goat defense, it would have been a sufficiently safe play and they should have taken the shot.

What I don't understand is why peeps think that breaking the record at home was somehow unimportant. Far from it. Wherever it's broken, our young players will be a part of history when it happens. It will be very good for our players' mental state. And it's even better, obviously, if the landmark moment occurs at Arrowhead. The guys would see a lot of love from the fans and that would do nothing but improve our team chemistry. You can't buy, or practice, or coach that kind of morale boost. One would think that Herm would recognize that.

FAX

I agree with every single thing you're saying. What I don't understand is everyone saying we should've done it acting as if they somehow wouldn't have been upset had it backfired and we lost the game.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Good Lord is was a joke Nancy, ****ing relax for a change...

Boris The Great
09-29-2008, 09:59 PM
This is the side of Tony Gonzalez that everyone likes to pretend doesnt exist. Sorry, but after 12 straight losses, its sickening to think that after that win on Sunday, Tony walked out of the locker room all pissy about his record while his teammates were celebrating.

Wa-Z
09-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm sure he can invite his family to the next game...even if it's away.

El Pendejo
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
My goodness, Mr. El Pendejo. It appears you have more brain stuff than all the other goat fans combined! Congratulations!

FAX

You give me far too much credit Seņor Fax. But then again even drunks such as yours truly can make some sense from time to time.

El Pendejo
09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm sure he can invite his family to the next game...even if it's away.

Of course he can...but how would the arrowhead faithful have reacted when he broke a Donk's all time record...while stomping the Donks? You don't go out of your way to help an all time NFL great break a record...but when you're bludgeoning a far greater team/franchise...you find a way to give him his three yards.

The team and fans alike would have gone ballistic when it was announced.

FAX
09-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I agree with every single thing you're saying. What I don't understand is everyone saying we should've done it acting as if they somehow wouldn't have been upset had it backfired and we lost the game.

ROFL

The outcry would be deafening. Even I might muster some flatulence in the direction of Northwestern Missouri.

However, I don't, for a minute, believe that Gonzo is saying he would wish to risk the victory in order to break the record at Arrowhead. So, if he had confidence that a short pass could be executed without fear, so do I. The matter causes me to speculate that, had Herm drafted Gonzo or worked with him for more than just a couple of years, he might have made a different decision on this.

FAX

FAX
09-29-2008, 10:24 PM
You give me far too much credit Seņor Fax. But then again even drunks such as yours truly can make some sense from time to time.

I think not, Mr. El Pendejo. You have demonstrated the ability to spell and use punctuation. Clearly, you are some kind of mutant goat fan with powers far beyond others of your kind. Have you ever been contacted by a university or government agency for the purpose of testing the source of these unusual abilities?

FAX

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I think not, Mr. El Pendejo. You have demonstrated the ability to spell and use punctuation. Clearly, you are some kind of mutant goat fan with powers far beyond others of your kind. Have you ever been contacted by a university or government agency for the purpose of testing the source of these unusual abilities?

FAX

ROFL

El Pendejo
09-29-2008, 10:29 PM

FAX

Funny that you ask that Seņor FAX. I have in fact been the subject of many studies...of my own free will of course. I fear the results thereof will never be published though...as in fits of weirdness I always insist on signing all documents with a certain untoward appendage. It makes far more sense from my point of view.

FAX
09-29-2008, 10:32 PM
This is the side of Tony Gonzalez that everyone likes to pretend doesnt exist. Sorry, but after 12 straight losses, its sickening to think that after that win on Sunday, Tony walked out of the locker room all pissy about his record while his teammates were celebrating.

I may well be ignoring this "side" you speak of, Mr. Boris The Great. But, I think he had every right to be a little disappointed that he didn't break the record at home.

Think of the bigger picture for a second ... the guy has given his all to this franchise. He's worked harder than anyone both on the field and off to improve his game. He's suffered through an unbelievable amount of bullcrap and a variety of coaches and schemes, not to mention countless losing seasons, precious few playoff appearances, and zero playoff wins to still achieve greatness at his position. Even in this game, Gonzo sacrificed his body once more for the team and the win.

Also, it's not as if the opportunity wasn't there. I think a lot of guys might well have felt that the three yards were a small thing to ask under the circumstances.

FAX

chiefbowe82
09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I guess i'm with tony, they could have got him the ball sometime during the game to get the record

okcchief
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
If he really did this he was wrong. The most important thing is winning the game. Records are secondary. I also agree if this was LJ everyone would be crucifying him. I hope this account isn't accurate.

El Pendejo
09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
If he really did this he was wrong. The most important thing is winning the game. Records are secondary. I also agree if this was LJ everyone would be crucifying him. I hope this account isn't accurate.

Of course they would. LJ is a punce. Gonzalez is an all time great. In a blowout against a rival whose former TE holds the record he's going for...you find a way to get him his yards. He's been a good soldier...and a stud. Throwing him a three yard pass is going to cost you the game when you're already steamrolling a far superior team? If you people don't think it would have meant a lot to the great Tony Gonzalez and the crowd at arrowhead to set the record there...you're kidding yourselves.

That's like the Donks putting in Bubby Brister to take the final knee against the Pack. And you wonder why players have no loyalty to their fans.

Gonzalez deserved to have another 8 plays called his way. Let alone one for three. The Donks weren't going to win the game anyway. They were stomped. Give the man his due. And his three friggin' yards. Or is Boss Bailey too good for him to get open?

Hammock Parties
09-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Of course they would. LJ is a punce. Gonzalez is an all time great.

And yet...it's LJ who stays for an hour after practice and signs EVERY kid's autograph...and Tony who blows them off.

Boris The Great
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
I may well be ignoring this side you speak of, Mr. Boris The Great. But, I think he had every right to be a little disappointed that he didnt break the record at home.

Tony can be an enormous jerk, that is the side I was referring to. He can be a very nice affable guy too, but there is a definite unpleasant side that surfaces from time to time.

And this is beyond being a little disappointed. Being a little disappointed isnt leaving the locker room in a huff after your team just ended a losing streak that nearly lasted an entire year. Being a little disappointed isnt still acting pissy about it a full day later.

Tony can say all he wants that he isnt being selfish because he knows he will get the record anyway and he just wanted to break it at home. But when he is putting his own situation above that of the team, that is the very definition of being selfish.

And no, the opportunity was not there. Tony says he asked to get the ball when he found out he was only 3 yards shy. One would assume that occurred on the sideline prior to the Chiefs final offensive series. It has been pointed out several times already, but the Chiefs only ran 3 plays in that series. Larry Johnson ran for 34 yards, then 3, then for 16 and a TD.

It is not like they ran a 10 play drive and refused to throw Tony the ball. When they called that third run, they didnt know it was going for a TD. Maybe if they had gotten to 3rd down, they would have thrown him a short, safe pass.

But then that brings the issue of the game situation. It is remarkably easy for people sitting here knowing the Chiefs won the game to say they should have thrown Tony the ball. But at the time it was a one possession game. And after LJs first big run, they were already in field goal range, meaning that no matter how they scored they were going to go up two scores and clinch the win.

Winning that game is all that ANYBODY should have cared about. Obviously Tony had other priorities. He says he thought the game was already clinched, which is ridiculous. If Denver had been able to get the ball back somehow, they could have won if they went for 2 again.

And if Tony had caught the pass that hit him in the hands earlier in the game, it wouldnt even be an issue.

Think of the bigger picture for a second

I believe I am, Mr. FAX.

boogblaster
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
GO GONZO ... TOO BAD ... But thats life ... Wished he'd got it sunday ...

El Pendejo
09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
And yet...it's LJ who stays for an hour after practice and signs EVERY kid's autograph...and Tony who blows them off.

Do you think LJ is a better representative of the Chiefs than Tony Gonzalez?

I'm sorry he didn't sign for you Wendler...the Star Wars jammies probably set him off.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-29-2008, 11:49 PM

kids should learn early that autographs are worthless

FAX
09-30-2008, 12:08 AM
... Winning that game is all that ANYBODY should have cared about. Obviously Tony had other priorities. ...

As I've said, Mr. Boris The Great, both sides of this debate have merit. I can certainly understand why people might think that Gonzo should have whooped it up in the locker room with the rest of the guys as if this were a Super Bowl win. However, his family was in attendance. Perhaps he wanted to spend more time with them as opposed to the media. Or maybe he was, in fact, disappointed that his request to be fed the rock one more time before the final whistle was ignored - which, to my mind, is a somewhat justifiable reaction to the way events transpired in the latter moments of the game. Instead, they gave the ball to LJ who had already fumbled once which nullifies, to a certain degree, Herm's claim that they elected not to throw one to Tony (one of the most reliable, experienced, and consistent receivers in the NFL) due to their concern about turnovers.

Personally, I think Gonzo should have just let this one go rather than make a big deal out of it. But, I remain convinced that a single, additional pass to him would have been relatively risk free under the circumstances and I don't think I'm going to repeat that again.

However, and with respect, I must disagree with the tone and content of the above quote. Gonzo busts his ass for this team, he's busted his ass for many years, and he almost almost busted it permanently in making that touchdown play in the 4th. If you don't see that as evidence that winning is a priority to him, I can only hope you will reconsider that somewhat bizarre point of view.

FAX

TrickyNicky
09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Sheesh. I'm happy the guy cares about being here and wanting to do it at home. Completely justifiable reaction. Is it wise to say it to the media before you talk to the coach? Maybe not, but we could have and should have completed a 3-freaking-yard pass to get him the record.

Herm is stubborn. He thinks feeding your future HOF'er a 3 yard pass to break a record is an equivalent to showboating or running up the score. He doesn't care about rivalries or tradition. I'm not surprised, because he has always been more afraid of failure than wanting to put away games.

tk13
09-30-2008, 12:33 AM
You're up by only one score, you have a running back going up the field at will for almost 200 yards, and you want to even slightly risk putting the game in the hands of Damon Huard.

Seriously. Seriously. [/Lewis Black]

L.A. Chieffan
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Tony sucks. One time I saw him with his kids at Disneyland and I was like "RICK JAMES BITCH", "RIIIICK JAAAAAAMES BIIIIIITCH!"

And he didn't even say hi or autograph my Mickey Mouse ears or notin. **** you Tony.

09-30-2008, 12:39 AM
You're up by only one score, you have a running back going up the field at will for almost 200 yards, and you want to even slightly risk putting the game in the hands of Damon Huard.

Seriously. Seriously. [/Lewis Black]
Its the Root of all Evil!!!

the Talking Can
09-30-2008, 05:00 AM
you don't risk a two yard pass when damon huard is your qb....ever

the Talking Can
09-30-2008, 05:02 AM

and Tony has worked his ass off to become the best TE in NFL history, even while playing for a worthless franchise...while your **** buddy LJ can't even be bothered to block....

still a fat virgin?

FAX
09-30-2008, 06:34 AM
LJ is a Hermbler.

FAX

Frosty
09-30-2008, 07:00 AM
you don't risk a two yard pass when damon huard is your qb....ever

QFMFT

I think they played the end of the game how it should have been played. However, maybe they could have tried to get the ball to Tony before the middle of the third quarter. :shake:

The Franchise
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Wait. Didn't we only run something like 3 plays after Gonzo's TD? I mean seriously, 1 first down would have locked the game up. After that, maybe we would have considered it. It jus thappens that LJ broke off a TD run while trying to get that first down.

Anyone that thinks that final drive should have been played differently is ****ed in the head. I'm sorry that Gonzo didn't get the record in what was the perfect scenario, but in the grand scheme of things he should be happy that his team won for the first time in 13 games.

Exactly. Everyone would be calling for Herm's head if they threw a ball to Gonzo on the last drive....and it got taken back to the house for a Bronco score.

Fly your family to Carolina....and do it there. You think he'll be pissed if he gets 2 catches for 2 yards next sunday?

Chiefnj2
09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
You girls all sound like Herm - don't throw the ball, it's too dangerous!