PDA

View Full Version : Royals Flanagan:Wiegmann’s return to Arrowhead not what he envisioned

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Wiegmann’s return to Arrowhead not what he envisioned
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/819802.html)

Last week, former Chiefs center Casey Wiegmann told his side of the story of his departure from Kansas City.

Wiegmann told the Denver media that the Chiefs had informed him the day after the season ended that he’d be back. But then, he said, the Chiefs released him in March.

“They called me and left a voice mail on my cell phone,” he said. “It’s amazing. When you give them all your hard work and all your blood, sweat and tears, they give you a phone call and leave a voice mail.”

Of course, that made Wiegmann’s return to Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday as the starting center of the rival Denver Broncos that much more emotional. But the homecoming didn’t quite pan out the way Wiegmann had envisioned.

He even took some grief from the stands.

“Most of the people were being supportive,” Wiegmann said. “But there was one guy who kept yelling ‘Traitor!’

“It’s OK. That’s just a case of someone not knowing the real story.”

Wiegmann said it did feel odd playing as a visitor at Arrowhead.

“For the most part it was fine, except the loss, obviously,” he said. “I got to see the people I wanted to see. I got to see my friends.”

And you are?

Chiefs linebacker Demorrio Williams admitted he was trying to draw a personal foul on Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler in the fourth quarter. The two got in a shoving match, and when Cutler pushed Williams, Williams went down in a heap, trying to draw a flag.

Asked about Williams’ actions, Cutler said, “I don’t even know who that is. I think he just flopped. But I don’t know who that is.”

Same movie

ESPN studio analyst Cris Carter said this about the Denver Broncos and their offense before they lost to the Chiefs:

“I’ve seen this movie before. I’ve been on teams like this, and I don’t think they were as good as we were. I know how this movie ends. It ends on a cold day with the wind blowing, someone doubling your wide receiver. I’m just telling y’all, it’s not going to be a good ending. … One bad offensive day, and it’s over.”

Carter’s 1998 Minnesota Vikings team scored a then-NFL record 556 points and lost in the NFC championship game.

First pitch

I ran into former Chicago Cubs ace and Lee’s Summit resident Rick Sutcliffe in the press box before the Chiefs’ game Sunday. He reports he’s doing great in his battle with colon cancer and he has been asked to throw out the first pitch Wednesday before the Cubs’ playoff opener.