PDA

View Full Version : Football Al Davis' letter to Kiffin

Hammock Parties
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Anyone else think Al is lying in several of these statements?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjpfUZ1eB9r4EzOpANCzXRcZc9AF?slug=ap-raiders-kiffinfired-letter&prov=ap&type=lgns

Here is the text of a letter provided by the Oakland Raiders that owner Al Davis said he gave to Lane Kiffin on Sept. 12, telling him that if he violated terms of his contract he would be fired for cause:

September 12, 2008

By Hand Delivery and Federal Express

Dear Lane:

Over the past months, you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical of, and designed to embarrass and discredit, this organization, its players and its coaches. I left you alone during training camp in hopes that you would cease your immature and destructive campaign.

However, you continue to make public statements that are critical of the organization, its players as whole as well as individual players. Such statements constitute conduct detrimental to the Raiders and I will no longer stand silently by while you continue to hurt this organization.

Further, your contract is quite clear that you work “subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner” and that the General Partner has “the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities.”

I realized when I hired you that you were young and inexperienced and that there would be a learning process for you. Your mistakes on player personnel and coaches were overlooked based on our patience with you. But I never dreamt that you would be untruthful in statements to the press as well as on so many other issues. Your actions are those of a coach looking to makes (sic) excuses for not winning, rather than a coach focused on winning.

For example, with the exception of Gibril Wilson, you were involved in recruiting all free agents and determining salaries for them and you were explicit about your desire to sign Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall amongst others. All were a must to sign in your eyes, Hall, in particular, because he played for Greg Knapp in Atlanta and Knapp gave him high grades. Do not run from that now.

I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player. Get over it and coach this team on the field, that is what you were hired to do. We can win with this team!

In regards to your recent fabrications about the defense, during the final cuts you made every cut on offense and every cut on defense except for (Fred) Wakefield on defense and (Seth) Wand on offense. Furthermore, during the game Monday night (defensive coordinator) Rob (Ryan) played your Cover-2 defense and we got killed on an approximately 50-yard touchdown pass and an approximately 70-yard gain that led to a field goal.

You meet every week with the defensive coaches to go over both the past game and to get a general feel for what will happen during the week in practice. You have the ability and authority to provide your input during those meetings and the preparation of the game plan. I do not have weekly meetings with Rob—you do.

During the week no one has ever told you what to do on either offense or defense. In addition, no one has ever told you during a game what to do on either offense or defense and you call every play on offense. During a game if you want to blitz more, all you have to do is let Rob know what blitz you want and he will do it.

Although you continue to use the media to express your dissatisfaction with others, no one has publicly pointed out to you that in four preseason games and one regular-season game played this year, your offense has scored one first-half touchdown. That put tremendous pressure on the defense.

I know that you wanted to bring your father in to run the defense and that Monte told me that he wanted to come here even though he as (sic) under contract to Tampa. However I did not want to tamper with another team. In any event that was over seven months ago. Do not now also run from the defense and your responsibilities.

This letter constitutes notice that if you further violate any term of your contract, in any manner whatsoever, you will be terminated for cause. I trust that this will not occur.

A.D. Football, Inc.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
you were involved in recruiting all free agents and determining salaries for them

When do head coaches EVER determine a player's salary?

el borracho
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Is this for real?

Marcellus
09-30-2008, 08:22 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

That is all.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Man I hope Al Davis runs the Raiders for many many years to come.

lunkkunk
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I will no longer stand silently by while you continue to hurt this organization.

Does anyone else find this ironic? I dunno, I just wouldn't have guessed Al Davis to be the kinda guy to just sit silently by.

FAX
09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I think I smell a rat.

Or, maybe Al should change his Depends just in case.

FAX

bishop_74
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
That is an example of documentation for cause. He is trying to build a case to get his money back after firing him... sneaky little snake.

FAX
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
"I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell. ..."

ROFL

Public comments like this are great for overall team cohesion.

Has Al named a successor yet?

FAX

Chiefshrink
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I thought it was a phonecall?

KcMizzou
09-30-2008, 08:57 PM
You know... when you think your franchise has hit rock bottom... there's always the Raiders.

(And I don't wanna hear about last week... it's much bigger than that.)

FAX
09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
You know... when you think your franchise has hit rock bottom... there's always the Raiders.

(And I don't wanna hear about last week... it's much bigger than that.)

Yep. This kind of thing makes the Gonzo flap look like a sandbox dispute.

FAX

Rain Man
09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
It's only a matter of time before Al hires a horse to be his head coach.

stonedstooge
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I commend you Coach Kiffin for hanging in as long as you did dealing with your boss the mad man. It may hurt today, but you will be a highly sought commodity after the season is over or maybe even now, wish it was at KC. To survive the dealings of the madman for as long as you did is a quantitative accomplishment and will not be overlooked by other teams. Good luck in the future and glad to see you out of that mess.

FAX
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
It's only a matter of time before Al hires a horse to be his head coach.

Raider chick bride or not, I don't think Elway would take the job, Mr. Rain Man.

FAX

KcMizzou
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
It's only a matter of time before Al hires a horse to be his head coach.This guy'd rock.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLR4iZJLgc4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLR4iZJLgc4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tk13
09-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I think Al looks remarkably like the Cryptkeeper.

FAX
09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zSzhSyeGc

FAX

alanm
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Man I hope Al Davis runs the Raiders for many many years to come.
I think all fans of the Chiefs, Bronco's and Chargers should donate money to keep Al on life support if the need arises.

Hammock Parties
I like Herm obviously, but god damn would I love having Kiffin here as head coach. The way he fixed their running game so quickly...he would have Larry producing well into his 30's here.

El Pendejo
That is an example of documentation for cause. He is trying to build a case to get his money back after firing him... sneaky little snake.

He still owes the Rat money from when he fired him. The Rat's been taking it out on him ever since he's been the Donks' head coach.

alanm
09-30-2008, 09:30 PM
I like Herm obviously, but god damn would I love having Kiffin here as head coach. The way he fixed their running game so quickly...he would have Larry producing well into his 30's here.
That's out the window now. :D

ClevelandBronco
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
...Dear Lane:

Over the past months,...

Mr. Davis is a perfect asshole, and I hope Mr. Kiffen gets the chance to shove a team or two straight up Mr. Davis's nose.

okcchief
09-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm still dumb founded that the Chiefs couldn't beat this team with all of this behind the scenes BS going on. Hopefully, Al's next genius move will be giving the Chiefs draft picks so he can announce Herm Edwards as his new coach. Just dreaming. Herm runs the complete anti-Al offense.

triple
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
i can't believe what I read about 172 year old al davis actually trying to coach the defense himself.

and what do they do on offense, they bring in quarterbacks with million dollar arms and 10 cent brains, receivers and running backs past their prime or who never had one. they buy high and sell low on randy moss. spend every draft pick on a skill position player who busts.

even their #1 overall QB selection is getting beaten up by the head coach and owner squabbling

it would be hard to do worse on a bet

RealSNR
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
It's only a matter of time before Al hires a horse to be his head coach.Best. Post. Ever. LMAO

Iowanian
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Kiffin should put that letter in a box, shit on it and send it via singing telegram back to Al Davis.

mdstu
09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQyfXdqtBZQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQyfXdqtBZQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dj56dt58
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Al can still write/think/talk?? whenver I see him in the booth, I always think he's been dead for years and just stuffed like a dog

Coach
09-30-2008, 10:39 PM
"I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell. ..."

ROFL

Public comments like this are great for overall team cohesion.

Has Al named a successor yet?

FAX

From my understanding, no.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2008, 10:46 PM
http://www.raiders.com/uploadedImages/Team/Coaches/Cable_Tom_2007.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2500170609_f570a970ff.jpg

This dumb-looking guy is their new head coach. He sounds dumb, too.

"The bottom line is that we need to win. It don't matter if it's 49-48. It don't matter if it's 1 to nothin'."

boogblaster
09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Herm might be looking ..

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Our luck Herm would go to Oakland and they turn into the Patriots of the 2000s.

Dylan
10-01-2008, 12:06 AM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/bradcymru/aldavis.jpg

"HEY! Get Me My Bed Pan!"

Dylan
10-01-2008, 12:50 AM
What's Al drinking? Jack & Coke?

Where is Goodell? He likes to stick his nose in everyone's business.

Tribal Warfare
10-01-2008, 02:14 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7bGgAPsKOWk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7bGgAPsKOWk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mecca
10-01-2008, 02:36 AM

It'd be worth it if he brought his dad, we'd have a competent DC then.

kstater
10-01-2008, 03:32 AM
I thought it was a phonecall?

You might try a remedial reading comprehension course.

CHIEF4EVER
10-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Does anyone else find this ironic? I dunno, I just wouldn't have guessed Al Davis to be the kinda guy to just sit silently by.

What choice does he have? Zombies can't talk.

ChiefGator
10-01-2008, 05:40 AM
So, he fired him because of 'cause'... and because of personality.

Strange old man...

ChiefGator
10-01-2008, 05:41 AM
This dumb-looking guy is their new head coach. He sounds dumb, too.

Pretty much have to be, don't you think?

Chief Faithful
10-01-2008, 05:47 AM
No doubt Davis is suffering from Dementia.

MOhillbilly
10-01-2008, 07:19 AM
still not as bad as the first time carl fired gunther.

King_Chief_Fan
10-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Furthermore, during the game Monday night (defensive coordinator) Rob (Ryan) played your Cover-2 defense and we got killed on an approximately 50-yard touchdown pass and an approximately 70-yard gain that led to a field goal.

Let's send Herm there so he can show them how to run it;)

Chiefnj2
10-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Al was a lot more with it than I thought he would be.

He said better things after the interview. I love his hatred for Denver.

Kawakami's article:

"There’s a reason why I don’t ask Al Davis questions at his formal news conferences–such as today’s all-timer: Because he’s always much better and more lucid in the informal give-and-take of the post-press conference gaggle.

Today it happened again. He cracked jokes. He asked me if I was applying for a job with the Raiders (no!). He gave Annie K. a nod.

He’s a beaut. That double-dip Al press conference was incredible. But you’ve heard most of it or seen it or have gotten astonished word of mouth from the TV or radio.

This is what you couldn’t hear–but what the most determined Al-ologists crave: The relaxed Al, taking on all questions, just being Al, crazier than ever.

–A partial transcript of the gaggle…

-Q: Kiffin had that reputation at USC as a tough personality to like. Do you think you didn’t vet him well?

-AL DAVIS: No, I think he conned me like he conned all you people.

-Q: Why not fire Kiffin in training camp?

-DAVIS: Because I still thought there was hope. I’ve got a young quarterback. I still thought there was hope that he could see the light. Where he really popped off and started, it was Rob Ryan after the Denver game.

-Q: Who did Kiffin want to draft instead of JaMarcus?

-DAVIS: There were several. Every day it was different, that’s the thing. He didn’t want Russell. At one time he wanted Brady Quinn. At one time Calvin Johnson. At one time to trade it.

-Q: Why did you trade Moss if you knew he was good?

-DAVIS: They didn’t want him.
-Q: They?

-DAVIS: Not the coaches. They were coming in brand new. That was a big thing on their minds.

Plus, you know how many teams turned him down. That guy in Green Bay thought he couldn’t run any more. Even Denver, where they’ll take anybody, turned him down.

But what’s his name knew he could run, he’s a friend of Belichick’s. Mike Lombardi. Mike sold what’s his name, Belichick, on the idea that he could run. They tampered with him. I remember Bob Kraft saying that he had to look him in the eye and all that. They went down and worked him out, he could run. He’s their team, of course, with the quarterback.

-Q: Mike Lombardi was a loyal guy for years…

-DAVIS: Mike Lombardi? Yes, he was all right.

-Q: And he’s taking shots at you…

-DAVIS: That’s part of life. You just live with those things. He was with me eight years. Mike Lombardi has been fired from every job he’s had. Every job. He can’t get a job. Last year he was fired from a job he was working for for nothing. He was fired from Denver. But he does have ability. He does have some ability.

But he was bad to Shell. Not necessary. You can’t get that in an organization, somebody in the organization bad-mouthing the coach.

-Q: Nobody can do that?

-DAVIS: Well, you can do it a little bit, seriously. But it’s tough, you know. It just wasn’t right. Shell was… been here all his life. I just… would stick up for him, so both of them had to go.

-Q: You’ve also got Lofton, Rathman, Knapp, Ryan… A lot of guys you passed over for Cable. What was the main reason you picked him and not those guys?

-DAVIS: Because I think he can do a better job. With the team.

-Q: With the organizational structure, is all you need is a new head coach to fix things?

-DAVIS: No. No, I’ve got to one or two other things. I mentioned some other things, Jerry, that are coming up here. Possibly a work stoppage. Possible an uncapped year in 2010. We have to prepare for that.

Stadium. There’s a lot going on. Trask is involved in a lot of that stuff, Amy Trask. There’s a lot going on in the business side of football today. We have the negotiations with the players, that was a blow that hurt me personally, because he was a close friend, Gene Upshaw.

And I’m running into that quite a bit now, losing people. I lost Jack Faulkner the other day. I don’t know if any of you know him. He was with the Rams. I had to talk to him while he was on his deathbed. I guess there’s no one left but me. Maybe I’m the only one left who can talk to these guys.

-Q: Do you think this organization have a need for any more football people?

-DAVIS: Yes, I do. There’s one guy I’m looking at now.

-Q: A senior executive?

-DAVIS: It would be an executive role, yeah.

-Q: Would you wait until the off-season before making the move?

-DAVIS: Yeah, I’d wait ‘til this off-season. Yeah, I’ve talked to the person, pretty much. It’d be unique. He’s local.

-Q: Can you give us a name?

-DAVIS: Local.

-Q: Your son Mark has been around a lot more recently. What aspect of the organization is he involved in?

-DAVIS: He’s business and perhaps he’s doing some work on stadium. Business and stadium. He doesn’t want to get involved in football. He used to know all the players. He still does. They were his vintage—Cliff Branch and all those guys, Fred Biletnikoff, all those guys.

He never understood how I could let someone go. He just doesn’t want to get into that part of it.

But he will own it some day. That is… if they let me go to my maker.

-Q: You said to somebody that you wanted to win two more Super Bowls and then retire…

-DAVIS: I didn’t say retire. I just want to win two more.

-Q: But could you retire?

-DAVIS: All joking aside, sure.

-Q: It keeps coming up, so Al, how’s your health?

-DAVIS: Other than the quadriceps and a little trouble with the walking, based on total balance, I’m fine. I’m healthy. You’re going to have to have me around for a while.

I’m fine, really. I take all the tests four times a year. I get a check up on everything, echo and all those things. All the blood work, I do that four times a year.

My mother, you know, she lived a long time, 103. I hope nothing happens. Because disease is the one thing, boy I tell you, it’s tough to lick. It’s tough to lick those goddamn diseases. I don’t know why they can’t.

It bothers me they wont let us use… and it doesn’t mean that I’m Republican or Democrat… the stem-cell. I think it could help.

-Q: I don’t think we’ve talked to you since last year when you sold a 20% stake to outside investors for the first time. Can you explain why you did that?

-DAVIS: You should’ve called me. The fact (is that it wasfor)… estate planning.

-Q: For Mark?

-DAVIS: Well, obviously.

In 2011, that rule comes back. You know it’s down to about 10% in 2010 or no estate tax and then I think in 2011 or 12, right in there, the estate comes back… you have to correct me, does it go back to about 48%?

-Q: You’ve had other coaches who’ve gone through the Raiders to future success. You think that could happen with Kiffin?

-DAVIS: Here’s what I would say: When Shanahan left me, he went to Denver. He was there for about four or five years as an assistant and they fired him for insubordination. Dan Reeves and he had a big battle. He went to the 49ers and he learned their style of football and when Dan Reeves failed in Denver, the first guy they had was Wade Phillips, I think… then he brought Shanahan back. And Shanahan had success. But Shanahan has an asterisk next to those two Super Bowls, because they were caught cheating.

Now Norv Turner does a good job as a coordinator and he’s doing a good job as a head coach. Now let’s see what he does. He’s got a good team. Let’s see what he does. I might have been impetuous with him. But he was a good guy.

If you remember with Norv, the first thing Norv did was let Tim Brown go. And I had to have a press conference up in Napa about Tim Brown leaving. And then about two games into the season, he forgot that Jerry Rice caught a pass in every game. He forgot to throw him the ball and he broke his streak. They threw him the ball, it went through his hands and then they didn’t come back to him. And so Jerry Rice said he wanted to be traded.

I’m not making excuses here. And then the next year I got him Kerry and Randy and it was pretty good. But we couldn’t win so that thing didn’t go.

Now who else was here?

-Q: Gruden?

-DAVIS: Jon. You’ve got to make your own decision. Jon was a good coach. But don’t forgot, I took Jon, no one else even knew who he was.

Jon’s first two years, he was in tough. He won a big game that kept him alive. You know which game that was? Kansas City… that’s pretty good. You ought to be over here with us…

The Tuck Game was the undoing of a lot of things.

-Q: Was it accurate that you talked Javon Walker out of retirement during training camp?

-DAVIS: I don’t know. See, that’s the problem. I’m pretty close to some of the players and I try to stay away from them. I stay away because I don’t want the head coach to be upset.

Javon can play. He can play.

-Q: Do the new minority partners have any option to buy in the future?

-DAVIS: Everyone has an option to buy a limited. But not to buy the… no… No, I have options to buy a limited. Everyone has that option.

No, as long as we’re alive, and then there’s the possibility of Trask. I think I want to do something for her. That’s Amy Trask. Other than Carol and Mark, no… other than maybe her.

-Q: Are you looking for more investors?

-DAVIS: No. I could have them in a minute. I want to see where we’re going to end up with the stadium.

-Q: How is the stadium stuff going?

-DAVIS: We’ll see. We’re working with the city of Oakland. We’re working.

-Q: Could you stay at the Coliseum after the lease expires in 2010 the way it’s set up currently?

-DAVIS: Of course we want a new one. I wouldn’t negotiate with you right now or with the media. I don’t know if the newspapers will be in existence (in 2010).
"

Frosty
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I’m healthy. You’re going to have to have me around for a while.

:rockon:

My mother, you know, she lived a long time, 103.

:rockon:

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Stay classy, Raiders.

Redrum_69
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
LOL

more like

Oakland Cryptkeepers

Al Davis is a McCain supporter...

OctoberFart
10-01-2008, 12:47 PM
AL needs to kill over. This franchise isn't going anywhere until he is gone. Kiffen was 5-16 but had leads in about 10 of those games in the fourth quarter. He is a good coach and I wish him well as long as he doesn't replace SPERM or go to the Donkeys.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I think Al made this letter up right before the press conference

Sure-Oz
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sure shanny and kiff will take turns skull ****ing al davis's corpse at his funeral

StcChief
10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
It's only a matter of time before Al hires a horse to be his head coach.well since Al Davis is the 'south end' of a horse facing North... that would fit.

raptorrage
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
i would love to see Al Davis out there trying to coach a defense in his white jump suite and raider pride gear as long as he is the head of the Raiduhs there cursed. :LOL:

KCKY-Fan4life
10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
hell yes AD is lying, he is such a scummo

vailpass
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
"Even Denver, where they’ll take anybody, turned him down."

Do you think Greasy Al has any idea who Javon Walker and Ashlie Lelie are?

KCrockaholic
10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
wow what a first class organization! :clap:

FAX
10-01-2008, 03:16 PM
After watching the press conference, I've decided I kind of like Al. He's one of a kind, for sure. The last of his breed.

FAX

vailpass
10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
After watching the press conference, I've decided I kind of like Al. He's one of a kind, for sure. The last of his breed.

FAX

I don't know if you are serious or not but I agree with you, Al is a guy I could like if he were with a different team.
AFAIK he is the only person to ever play in the NFL, be a head coach in the NFL, and own an NFL team.
He is old school like an old fool. Unfortunately he seems to be slipping quite a bit.

FAX
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't know if you are serious or not but I agree with you, Al is a guy I could like if he were with a different team.
AFAIK he is the only person to ever play in the NFL, be a head coach in the NFL, and own an NFL team.
He is old school like an old fool. Unfortunately he seems to be slipping quite a bit.

In this case, I'm not kidding, Mr. vailpass. Sure, Al went to the same grade school as George Washington and his faculties are slipping, but over the years he's taken on a lot of battles and won most of them. He's the last of his kind.

And, he made several pretty good points in the presser. I don't know if Kiffen did any of the things Al's accusing him of, but if he did, I don't blame Al for firing the guy ... I'd have done the same thing - probably sooner. I'll say this; Al loves his football team dearly and will do whatever it takes to win. Honestly, the Chiefs could use an owner with a little more of that spirit.

FAX

chief52
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM

I could be wrong, but I do not believe Al Davis ever played in the NFL. Correct me if I am wrong...hell, this is the planet. That goes without saying!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis#Early_Life

Early Life

He attended Syracuse University, where he earned a degree in English. Upon graduation, he began his coaching career as the line coach at Adelphi College from 1950 to 1951. From there Davis served as the head coach of the U.S. Army team at Ft. Belvoir, Virginia from 1952 to 1953. His next coaching assignment was as the line coach and chief recruiter for The Citadel. From 1957 to 1959 Davis was a line coach at the University of Southern California.

vailpass
10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I could be wrong, but I do not believe Al Davis ever played in the NFL. Correct me if I am wrong...hell, this is the planet. That goes without saying!

My bad, thanks for catching that. Please replace the word "player" with the word "Commissioner" and forgive my suckitude.

chief52
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
My bad, thanks for catching that. Please replace the word "player" with the word "Commissioner" and forgive my suckitude.

Very true. A lot of people to not realize he was the commissioner of the AFL.

R&GHomer
10-01-2008, 04:00 PM

That's just scary.

Chiefnj2
10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I'll say this; Al loves his football team dearly and will do whatever it takes to win. Honestly, the Chiefs could use an owner with a little more of that spirit.

FAX

I agree with you Mr. Fax. I wanted to watch the video and be able to laugh at old man Al. I expected a senile old man ranting about kids on his lawn. Instead, he seemed pretty well spoken. He made more sense than Herm does in most of his pressers.

I think Al felt disrespected by Kiffin. In Al's view, he gave a very young guy a chance and he hoped to be able to mold Kiffin. Instead Kiffin went against Al. That's not always a bad thing, but if you are going to play football under Al, it is going to be his way.

FAX
10-01-2008, 04:24 PM
That's just scary.

Show me your war face!!

FAX

raptorrage
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
That's just scary.

Should Fame that soak it in water throw it your freezer and call it the old Al Davis curse ROFL

Groves
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Hate to say it, but that interview earned him some respect points with me. I prefer my enemies smart anyway.

listopencil
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I'll give the old ****bag some respect too. He's not as far gone as I thought he was.

Hammock Parties
10-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'll give the old ****bag some respect too. He's not as far gone as I thought he was.

I've never thought he was senile. He's incredibly lucid. But absolute power corrupts absolutely. He's surrounded by yes men and fires anyone who stands up to him. He's the reason the Raiders suck. It's sad. Oakland is going to blow chunks the rest of the year.

Over-Head
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Sweet jesus!
It's the Dark emperior or who ever the f**k Darth Vader took his orders from :eek:

chief52
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Few people know that Al has never owned the majority of the Raiders until '05. He was the managing general partner/minority owner. McGah just let Al run it. It took law suits after Ed McGah's death for him to finally take majority ownership. McGah was the majority owner for all those years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis#Early_Life

Raiders Ownership

Once he rejoined the Raiders organization, Davis ruthlessly attempted to gain power within the club. In 1972, while managing general partner Wayne Valley was attending the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, Davis drafted a revised partnership agreement that gave him near-total control of team operations. Valley sued to overturn the agreement once he returned to the country, but was unsuccessful. Valley sold his interest in 1976, and no other partners have had any role in running the club since. This was despite the fact that Davis didn't acquire a majority interest in the Raiders until 2005, when he bought the shares held by the family of Ed McGah, the team's last original general partner. He now owns approximately 67 percent of the interests in the partnership through his company, A.D. Football, Inc.

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Sweet jesus!
It's the Dark emperior or who ever the f**k Darth Vader took his orders from :eek:

ROFLROFLROFL

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
I think in all honesty that this was a product of age and off-balanced, clumbsy decisions, again, resulting from age.

Such a completely BS way to fire someone. How dirty was that?

Chiefnj2
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
He's the reason the Raiders suck. It's sad. Oakland is going to blow chunks the rest of the year.

If he is so horrible why has Oakland been to a Super Bowl in more recent times than Kansas City? What does that say about Peterson?

ClevelandBronco
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
...Do you think Greasy Al has any idea who Javon Walker and Ashlie Lelie are?

You mean "were."

Bwana
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I caught it live on NFL radio while driving across the state yesterday. Davis is a COMPLETE fuggen loon, I'm talking bat shit crazy.

Over-Head
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Look at them eye's.
There's more than coke in that there glass.
The drunken fool is STILL trying to forget our last SB appearence.

WILL SOME ONE POISON THAT F***ER SOON!

PLEASE??? :#

Over-Head
10-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I caught it live on NFL radio while driving across the state yesterday. Davis is a COMPLETE fuggen loon, I'm talking bat shit crazy.
Damn, satellite can keep up with that Vett.:eek:
Will technology never stop amazing me?:)

eazyb81
10-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I've been gone for a few days, but just wanted to say that Al Davis has completely lost it. The dude is seriously insane and at this point he's embarrassing the entire league. Roger Goodell should begin strategic discussions with staff attorneys to take this franchise away from Davis. That entire press conference was a joke, and the small part before the conference that was secretly recorded was hysterical and a bit sad.

The dude is batshit crazy and needs to be in a home, not in control of an NFL franchise.