PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: D.J. Named AFC Defensive Player of Week

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 02:21 AM
D.J. Named AFC Defensive Player of Week (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/dj-named-afc-defensive-player-of-week.html#more-3276)
October 1, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

For three weeks there were many NFL observers asking the question, where is Derrick Johnson in the Chiefs defense.

“I was asking the same question,” Johnson said.

Well, answers came on Sunday when the linebacker led the Chiefs charge on defense, contributing a half-sack, interception, a forced fumble and seven tackles. That performance earned him the AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

It’s the first time in six years that a Chiefs linebacker has been singled out by the league for this honor. The last time it happened was Mike Maslowski in week eight of the 2002 season.

“I put more pressure on myself than anybody,” Johnson said on Wednesday. “I knew I had to step up. It was a big game, a division game.

“I wasn’t thinking a lot. I really didn’t care if I messed up. It wasn’t that I wasn’t playing within the scheme, I was just putting it all out on the line … I took some chances, I anticipated some things.”

It was a performance reminiscent of Johnson during his days as an All-America LB at the University of Texas.

“I was more of a free-lance player within the defense,” Johnson said of his play with the Longhorns. “One of the things that Gun told me was to put all the schemes out of my mind and put all the responsibility out of my mind, you know the defense, just go out there and play like you were at Texas.

“When he said that, a light went on. He was trying to get me comfortable, get me loose, not playing uptight.”

Johnson has had similar performances in his career. What’s held him out of being considered among the best linebackers in the AFC has been his consistency. In the first three games of the season, he was averaging 4.3 tackles per game and the only big play he was part of was a sack.

“I’ve got to go out and keep doing what I did last week,” Johnson said. “I’m not really surprised by my play. Now, I want to repeat this, so this is a thing that this is what Derrick Johnson does, he makes plays for this football team to help it win.”

kcxiv
10-02-2008, 02:25 AM
He had a hell of a game, but like Whitlock said, do it again!

ChiefJustice
10-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Talking about yourself in the third person is crazy.

I hope he continues it.

jjchieffan
10-02-2008, 03:13 AM
He had a hell of a game, but like Whitlock said, do it again!

Who gives a rats ass what Fatlock says?

kcxiv
10-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Who gives a rats ass what Fatlock says?

I was more or less just quoting what he said, becuase i know i want to see DJ have a big game again! 1 out of 4 for a talent of his calibur is not really acceptable.

KCJohnny
10-02-2008, 04:10 AM
First time since Maz did it in the awful 2002 season!
Congrats to DJ and kudos to Gun for turning the tiger loose.

Kerberos
10-02-2008, 05:17 AM
I would NEVER compare DJ to the late Derrick Thomas but the level of play we need from DJ needs to match that of DT. I don't expect him to be another DT because there will NEVER be another DT. I just want consistent play that RIVALS that of DT.

If he can do that this defense can do things and go places. Mix in some talented Rookies and some solid vets and "IT'S ON"

:thumb:

KCJohnny
10-02-2008, 05:46 AM
I would NEVER compare DJ to the late Derrick Thomas but the level of play we need from DJ needs to match that of DT. I don't expect him to be another DT because there will NEVER be another DT. I just want consistent play that RIVALS that of DT.

If he can do that this defense can do things and go places. Mix in some talented Rookies and some solid vets and "IT'S ON"

:thumb:

Spot on, especially with the loss of Jared Allen, this team needs a speed rushing DE/OLB like the great one (RIP #58).

FAX
10-02-2008, 06:51 AM
This is great. Not only does he deserve the honor after last week (Denver's offense isn't shabby), but this is huge for all Chiefs fans everywhere. DJ was highly regarded coming out of college, but the Chiefs screwed him up for three years. Now, he's finally demonstrating the talent people knew he had.

Very encouraging. If he can repeat a similar performance (and he certainly has the talent to do so), it will be even more encouraginger.

FAX

penchief
10-02-2008, 07:05 AM
First time since Maz did it in the awful 2002 season!
Congrats to DJ and kudos to Gun for turning the tiger loose.

Gunther sucks.

KCJohnny
10-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Gunther sucks.

More insightful analysis by ChiefsPlanet regular penchief.

Why log on anywhere else?

:rolleyes:

Demonpenz
10-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Free lancing huh? Beware dj. I feel some misdirection coming your way (or away from it hehe)

beach tribe
10-02-2008, 08:43 AM
We should be working on extending DJ right now.

HemiEd
10-02-2008, 08:45 AM
We should be working on extending DJ right now.

Sure hope it happens, would hate to lose him.

talastan
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
If they can actually get him to play instead of worrying so much he'll keep this up IMO. He just seems to have this potential that strikes me the same way DT did. I agree he'll never be DT, but even 50-75% in that direction would take this defense into the top 10, possibly even the top 5. That is just a credit to how good DT was. He carried the entire team on his shoulders and never let up. If DJ can head in that direction the defense and the team as a whole will win some games.

Frazod
10-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Heh. Again, thanks Denver, you overrated asssuckers. :thumb:

boogblaster
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
DJ is top of the line .. He just needs to be turned loose to play his game ...

R&GHomer
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Congrats DJ... Woot, Woot!!!

FAX
10-02-2008, 10:30 AM
DJ is top of the line .. He just needs to be turned loose to play his game ...

To your point, Mr. boogblaster, this deal is kind of funny in a way.

Essentially, DJ is saying that, when he stops trying to do what Gunther and Hermoine are telling him to do, he winds up being named DPotW. Perhaps all our defensive players should adopt the same strategy.

FAX

blueballs
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
If he was a Bronco
he would have been AFC Defensive Player of the Weak