PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Not including online sources, where.....

luv
10-02-2008, 10:03 AM
....would you rather buy your electronics from?

I apologize if the poll doesn't include everyplace. I'm thinking of major retail chains that might be located nationally. And this isn't just computers. I'm talking about electronics in general.

irishjayhawk
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I voted Best Buy but I shop a lot at Target too.

luv
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I voted Best Buy but I shop a lot at Target too.

Target (the one here, anyway) doesn't have a big electronics selection, but they do usually have some good deals on what they do have. I think places like Best Buy and Target charge more because they supposedly have the customer support to back up their products.

Fish
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
If I'm forced to buy from one of these chains, I check each and go with the lowest price....

phisherman
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
if it's electronics in the store, i usually do Costco for their satisfaction guaranteed policies.

if anywhere else, i will normally buy with my AmEx so that I can get an extra year on the warranty.

bishop_74
10-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Fry's. They seem to have the best selection at the best prices.

luv
10-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Never heard of CostCo or Fry's. Are they local?

phisherman
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Costcos are everywhere. They're a warehouse club, similar to BJ's or Sam's Club.

Fry's are NOT everywhere. Which sucks. VERY cheap PC parts and electronics.

Baby Lee
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Computers, Microcenter.
Home appliances, Home Depot Expo
Audio/Visual - boutique or Ultimate Electronics.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I hate all of those places, and generally play the cocksuckers off of one another.

Ultimate Electronics was pretty nice when I lived on Barry Road, but horrendously overpriced. Got some wicked awesome deals when it shut down, though.

MTG#10
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I wish we had a Fry's in Springfield. Ive ordered some things online from them and even after shipping they were a lot cheaper than Best Buy and Circuit City. The only electronic I would rather buy in a store than online is a TV for obvious reasons.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I wish we had a Fry's in Springfield. Ive ordered some things online from them and even after shipping they were a lot cheaper than Best Buy and Circuit City. The only electronic I would rather buy in a store than online is a TV for obvious reasons.

Go the store, look at the TV, see if they can approximate the lighting of your home (nigh impossible). Then go and buy it online and calibrate.

irishjayhawk
10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I do wish OP had a Fry's.

Baby Lee
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I hate all of those places, and generally play the cocksuckers off of one another.

Ultimate Electronics was pretty nice when I lived on Barry Road, but horrendously overpriced. Got some wicked awesome deals when it shut down, though.

The stuff they carry that others carry is cheaper there than elsewhere, at least the TVs. The stuff that's more expensive [Martin Logan, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Sunfire, higher end Denon] is way better.

phisherman
10-02-2008, 12:31 PM
I do wish OP had a Fry's.

wouldn't that be sweet?

Ultra Peanut
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I thought Fry's had a reputation for being overpriced? Kind of the Alienware of retail?

phisherman
10-02-2008, 01:05 PM
i don't know what they're overpriced on; i just know that you can get UNBELIEVABLE deals on CPUs, motherboards, televisions, speakers, etc

Polk Audio R50 speakers for $50 apiece? that's a smokin' deal.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I prefer to buy online for almost everything electronics but otherwise it would be Best Buy or Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Buck
10-02-2008, 01:58 PM
if it's electronics in the store, i usually do Costco for their satisfaction guaranteed policies.

if anywhere else, i will normally buy with my AmEx so that I can get an extra year on the warranty.

What do you mean by CostCo's satisfaction guaranteed policies, will they price match competitors?

Fry's is nice also, they got lots of stuff. I could spend a day in Fry's.

Mr. Laz
10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
If I'm forced to buy from one of these chains, I check each and go with the lowest price....
yep

microcenter too

chasedude
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I think the last purchase I made instore was for a UPS battery for a PC. It was Bestbuy so that's about the closest lately of me ordering something from a brick store.

phisherman
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
What do you mean by CostCo's satisfaction guaranteed policies, will they price match competitors?

Fry's is nice also, they got lots of stuff. I could spend a day in Fry's.

they don't pricematch that i'm aware of, but if something breaks that you bought there after the warranty period, costco is pretty good about giving you your money back.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
The stuff they carry that others carry is cheaper there than elsewhere, at least the TVs. The stuff that's more expensive [Martin Logan, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Sunfire, higher end Denon] is way better.

The last time I was in an Ultimate, they didn't have a great variety of TVs--Mits, Samsung, Sony. I was looking for a new TV @ the time, and found one significantly cheaper @ BB.

YMMV.

Frazod
10-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Luckily I live within two miles of a Tiger Direct outlet and about 10 miles from a Fry's. When it comes to computer stuff, there is little reason for me to go anywhere else.

Baby Lee
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
The last time I was in an Ultimate, they didn't have a great variety of TVs--Mits, Samsung, Sony. I was looking for a new TV @ the time, and found one significantly cheaper @ BB.

YMMV.

Should've taken the price to UE. ;)

Nowadays, their marketing campaign is that they start lower, AND monitor competitors ads and set their prices even lower as needed, so you don't have to comparison shop. And if you catch them with a higher price than a competitor's sale, I think it's a 110% guarantee.

Of course, they do the thing everybody else does in carrying slightly different or exclusive lines that can't be price matched, but if you're already price matching widely available lines. . .

MTG#10
10-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Go the store, look at the TV, see if they can approximate the lighting of your home (nigh impossible). Then go and buy it online and calibrate.

Yeah but in a store they will let you open the box and check for dead pixels - if you order one online and get a dead pixel you're screwed. I guess I should have been more specific, I only buy LCD.

unlurking
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I thought Fry's had a reputation for being overpriced? Kind of the Alienware of retail?
Don't know about non-computer products, but they've always been cheaper than any other retail outlet I've ever been to, with the possible exception of MicroCenter when you take advantage of their numerous rebates.

Fry's & MicroCenter for my vote.

KCChiefsMan
10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
eh, the one closest to me

Taco John
10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Definitely Fry's.

Hammock Parties
10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Fry's be the bomb, yes. Everything I need in one store.