PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb:Chiefs notebook: Huard refuses to start a QB controversy

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Chiefs notebook: Huard refuses to start a QB controversy
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/824913.html)
Huard avoids controversy

If Damon Huard wants to sell himself as the Chiefs’ long-term starting quarterback, his pitch needs some work.

Huard helped Kansas City snap its 12-game losing streak Sunday against Denver. But Huard stopped short Thursday of saying that win, or another one this week at Carolina, should make him the Chiefs’ permanent starter.

“It’s a question that involves something in the future that I can’t really answer,” Huard said. “We just want to win a football game this weekend, and worrying about something else down the road really doesn’t do any good.”

Huard, a 12-year-pro, has become an expert this season at avoiding incendiary comments and sidestepping questions about the Chiefs’ quarterback plans. The Chiefs have started three players at quarterback this season since Brodie Croyle suffered a separated shoulder in week one.

Coach Herm Edwards said Croyle should be ready for the Oct. 19 game against Tennessee, which comes after next week’s bye. Edwards wouldn’t commit this week to starting Croyle regardless of Huard’s and the Chiefs’ performance against Carolina, but it’s widely expected that Croyle would start against the Titans.

Huard said he wouldn’t join in the discussion, saying he’d leave that topic for debate in the media.

“I’d love to create controversy and all that stuff,” he said. “I know that’s fun for you guys, but that’s really not what we’re all about here.”

Panthers stifle runners

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, who accumulated 319 yards rushing the last two weeks, will face a defense Sunday accustomed to facing — and slowing — elite rushers.

Carolina is 19th in rush defense, but it has not allowed a running back to gain 100 yards — regardless of star power. The Panthers held Atlanta’s Michael Turner, the NFL’s leading rusher, to 56 yards last week. They’ve also held San Diego’s LaDainian Tomlinson and Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson to double-digit yards.

Johnson enters this week ranked third among NFL running backs, with 415 yards.

“Something has got to give,” Edwards said, “and it’s going to be a good test for us.”

Injury report

Linebacker Donnie Edwards (ankle) and left tackle Branden Albert (elbow) did not practice Thursday. Quarterback Croyle (shoulder), cornerback Patrick Surtain (shoulder), defensive end Tamba Hali (knee) and safety Dimitri Patterson (quad) were limited. Edwards, Albert and Croyle are out. Edwards said either Patterson or Surtain also will be listed today as out.

T-post Tom
10-02-2008, 11:34 PM
The man has been a stalwart of political correctness. The FO & coaches have got to love that. I bet he ends up coaching after he retires. I wonder what he'd be like as an OC...

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 11:55 PM
The man has been a stalwart of political correctness. The FO & coaches have got to love that. I bet he ends up coaching after he retires. I wonder what he'd be like as an OC...

I can see him teaching his QBs the fetal fancy.

T-post Tom
10-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I can see him teaching his QBs the fetal fancy.

It might have helped Croyle a few weeks back. ;)

JuicesFlowing
10-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Croyle starting against Tenn. is a little bit scary. At least it will be at Arrowhead ...

Hammock Parties
10-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Croyle starting against Tenn. is a little bit scary. At least it will be at Arrowhead ...

Croyle needs to play the best defense in the NFL every week as far as I'm concerned. If he can't take it then he has no business in the NFL.

Hope the Chiefs don't coddle him like some fans want them to when he comes back. Let him throw 30 passes a game.

JuicesFlowing
10-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Croyle needs to play the best defense in the NFL every week as far as I'm concerned. If he can't take it then he has no business in the NFL.

Hope the Chiefs don't coddle him like some fans want them to when he comes back. Let him throw 30 passes a game.

I agree. I wanted him to start every game last year. Plus, he'd have had another 10 games of experience (barring injury) under his belt. Of course that's easy to say in retrospect. Not so easy when we were atop the division at 4-3. Oh well. This year "the record" allegedly isn't an issue.

ClevelandBronco
10-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Good for Huard. That's a veteran attitude.

Bwana
10-03-2008, 05:44 AM

I hope he does well, but I have a feeling that it won't be a happy ending for Croyle by the time the last tick of the clock rolls around. I have a feeling he will have to leave the game with another boo-boo.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2008, 05:53 AM

Guys like Huard usually make pretty decent assistant coaches: Jason Garrett, Gary Kubiack, etc...

HypnotizedMonkey
10-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Fetal Position Coach / Offensive Creative Stifling Control

MOhillbilly
10-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I hope he does well, but I have a feeling that it won't be a happy ending for Croyle by the time the last tick of the clock rolls around. I have a feeling he will have to leave the game with another boo-boo.

depends on if the uproar is in full voice. The titans have a young team, Arrowhead rockin could make the titans other ball draw up.