PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Burn After Reading

pr_capone
10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
What an abortion of a movie by the Cohen Brothers.

The only saving grace of this movie is that (highlight the following text to read the spoiler) the annoying character played by Brad Pitt gets shot in the head about halfway through the flick.

Aside from that... it was neither funny nor entertaining.

Horrible horrible movie.

And no, I did not ask for a refund this time. :p

unlurking
10-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Damn, this looked hilarious!

Silock
10-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, it sucked. It was like a one and a half hour long set up for a punchline that didn't really deliver.

unlurking
10-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Damn.

Very disappointing.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
And no, I did not ask for a refund this time. :p

Why not?

pr_capone
10-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Why not?

It was not Indiana Jones bad... it was just bad.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2008, 11:53 PM
It was not Indiana Jones bad... it was just bad.

Im curious, not sure if this got brought up in that previous classic thread....

But when u rent a DVD from Blockbuster and dont like the movie, do you ask for a refund when you return it?

Thig Lyfe
10-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Damn, this looked hilarious!

It is hilarious. I don't know what these motherfuckers are talking about.

pr_capone
10-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Im curious, not sure if this got brought up in that previous classic thread....

But when u rent a DVD from Blockbuster and dont like the movie, do you ask for a refund when you return it?

nah... there is less of an investment in a rented movie vs. a movie at a theater.

for a movie I set aside time, dress, drive, and devote an evening to the film.

for a dvd I snag it on the way home, get comfortable, and hit play. if the movie sucks I can always find something else to do and try again later.

keep in mind that I don't make a habit of asking for a refund... period.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-04-2008, 07:22 AM
pretyy disappointing, although it had some funny parts.

just seemed disjointed

Red Brooklyn
10-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I liked it. A lot. It's not as good as some of their others (Hudsucker, Fargo, No Country, Barton Fink) but it's a solid movie. Great satire. Wonderfully acted. Brilliantly funny. A nice welcome to the Apatow invasion we've seen lately. It's nice to see a movie be funny AND smart.

And Pitt is totally under rated in this. This is maybe one of the best performances of his career (IMHO). You forget you're watching Brad Pitt. It's great. Wonderful surprises. Excellent pacing. That Coen tension just permiates.

For what it's worth... I thought it was a pretty great movie. One of the best I've seen this year. If anyone out there is still curious, I definately suggest you see it for yourself.

Silock
10-04-2008, 02:06 PM
It had its moments, but it was slow and the jokes were few and far between. When it was funny, it was really funny, but most of the time, it wasn't.

L.A. Chieffan
10-04-2008, 03:03 PM
If you enjoy demented Coen Bros. dark comedy definitely give it a try. It's not you typical Hollywood-RobinWilliamsAshtonKutcherWeed&FartJoke humour.

A LOT of people did not like Big Lebowski when it first came out and now it's one of their most popular movies.

Silock
10-04-2008, 03:06 PM
If you enjoy demented Coen Bros. dark comedy definitely give it a try. It's not you typical Hollywood-RobinWilliamsAshtonKutcherWeed&FartJoke humour.

A LOT of people did not like Big Lebowski when it first came out and now it's one of their most popular movies.

Comparing The Big Lebowski to Burn After Reading is like comparing two things that are really, really, REALLY incomparable.

RufusRJones
10-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure at this point if it sucked or not, but I think I can get a run in before dinner.

2bikemike
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw this last weekend and IMHO it totally sucked. I was going to see the Deniro/Pacino movie but heard it sucked. I wish someone would have told me about Burn before I wasted my $$ and time.

Adept Havelock
10-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I laughed quite a bit. It wasn't one of their best, but it beat most of what passes as comedy these days, IMO.

Thig Lyfe
10-04-2008, 07:56 PM
You people are insane. This was a quality movie and probably the best comedy this year.

Reaper16
10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Everyone who didn't like this movie should not be allowed to talk about movies anymore.

Red Brooklyn
10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Honestly, I'm not really sure at this point if it sucked or not, but I think I can get a run in before dinner.

:D nice.

Red Brooklyn
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM

I like the Big Lebowski, but I personally think Burn After Reading is a better movie. I know, I know, blasphemy! But that's how I feel. Of course I may change my mind once I've seen BAR as many times as I've seen BL. We shall see...

banyon
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Everyone who didn't like this movie should not be allowed to talk about movies anymore.

Dammit, and I so liked talking about movies. :sulk:

(note: I am a Coen Bros fan, and I think this is their weakest effort to date. Maybe if I were judging it against the majority of brainless films out there, then it'd seem ok, but I judged it against their standard and it was a disappointment).

Red Brooklyn
10-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Dammit, and I so liked talking about movies. :sulk:

(note: I am a Coen Bros fan, and I think this is their weakest effort to date. Maybe if I were judging it against the majority of brainless films out there, then it'd seem ok, but I judged it against their standard and it was a disappointment).

I definately see where you're coming from. Rated against MOST comedies today this movie gets an A+. I too am a big Coens fan, and (as I said before) I don't think this is there best. But I also don't think it's there worst. Rated against their body of work it gets a B-/C+ from me. Still, I think it's far and away better than Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty. Slightly better than Big Lebowski and The Man Who Wasn't There, and right on par with Blood Simple. Did you like Ladykillers more than BAR?

Reaper16
10-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I definately see where you're coming from. Rated against MOST comedies today this movie gets an A+. I too am a big Coens fan, and (as I said before) I don't think this is there best. But I also don't think it's there worst. Rated against their body of work it gets a B-/C+ from me. Still, I think it's far and away better than Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty. Slightly better than Big Lebowski and The Man Who Wasn't There, and right on par with Blood Simple. Did you like Ladykillers more than BAR?
That was my thought @ reading Banyon's post, too. Like, did he see Intolerable Cruelty?

Red Brooklyn
10-05-2008, 10:57 AM
That was my thought @ reading Banyon's post, too. Like, did he see Intolerable Cruelty?

ROFL

Thig Lyfe
10-05-2008, 11:41 AM

QUOTED FOR SUPREME TRUTH.

banyon
10-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Wait, it's better than Big Lebowski? :spock:

This guy has to quit arguing now.

Red Brooklyn
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Wait, it's better than Big Lebowski? :spock:

This guy has to quit arguing now.

I was waiting for someone to call me on that :D

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of that movie. It's a funny movie. Damn funny. And it's funnier than Burn After Reading at times. But to me, BL doesn't go anywhere. And everything happens for no reason. It has a big build up and then just fizzles and leaves me feeling flat. It starts soooo strongly and then just - meh. The last quarter of the movie is a little wonkey and sort of circles the drain, I feel. Sorry. Just MHO. And I like BL. Just to be clear. Damn fine movie. Certainly fun to quote. :D

I also pointd out that I ranked BAR slightly above BL after having only seen BAR once. Again, I may change my mind when I see how BAR holds up to multiple viewings.

Whatever. It's a pointless argument. People like what they like and I'm not here to change anyone's opinion. The point is - I liked Burn After Reading. That's all.

HC_Chief
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Anyone who doesn't like The Big Lebowski is immediately disregarded wrt movie opinion.

Fire Me Boy!
10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed BAR. It would probably be in the lower half of their films, but even that is better than most others' work.

DEFINITELY better than Intolerable Cruelty and the Ladykillers.

Baby Lee
10-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Anyone who doesn't like The Big Lebowski is immediately disregarded wrt movie opinion.

Anyone who doesn't like TBL and has only seen it once, is in the EXACT same boat as people who love it. They just need to see it a couple more times.

Which is pretty much why I'm completely disregarding anyone's opinion of BAR at this point in time.

beavis
10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Anyone who doesn't like TBL and has only seen it once, is in the EXACT same boat as people who love it. They just need to see it a couple more times.

Which is pretty much why I'm completely disregarding anyone's opinion of BAR at this point in time.

I completely hated TBL when I saw it in the theater. I gave it a second chance on dvd and it become of my favorites. Easily one of the most quotable movies of all time.

Huffman83
12-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I rented the movie last night. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be...but I'm probably going to give it another chance before I take it back. I think out of context a lot of the lines could be just as quotable than TBL.

"Back of the car... not the rear entry situation..."

"Appearances can be... deceptive."

"I thought you might be worried... about the security... of your shit."

"Report back to me when it makes sense. "

When it comes on HBO or whatever and is on every other day, everyone will probably like it.

Fire Me Boy!
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
"I thought you might be worried... about the security... of your shit."

That was one of my favorites.

I also loved J.K. Simmons in this movie, especially the last scene.

Fire Me Boy!
12-30-2008, 01:06 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed BAR. It would probably be in the lower half of their films, but even that is better than most others' work.

DEFINITELY better than Intolerable Cruelty and the Ladykillers.

On a second viewing, this one is climbing my Coen Bros. ladder.

Fire Me Boy!
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Osborn Cox - If you ever carried out your proposed threat you would experience such a shitstorm of consequences my friend your empty little head would be spinning faster than the wheels of your Schwinn bicycle.

Chad - You think that's a Schwinn.

Fire Me Boy!
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
So what did we learn from this?

Um... I don't know.

I don't fuckin' know either.

DeepPurple
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
I just saw Burn after Reading a couple of days ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It's not as great as Raising Arizona, which is my all-time favorite comedy, it's more in the category of O'Brother and Sideways, which I thought were both good. I also saw Tropic Thunder a couple of weeks ago and thought it was really good, it could of been great but just missed, it's in the category of The Big Lebowski one notch below Raising Arizona.

Saulbadguy
12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
It was ok, worth watching once IMO. I really liked Brad Pitts character.

cdcox
06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I just saw this. I'm not a huge Cohen Bros fan (other than Miller's Crossing, which is in my top 20) but I really enjoyed this one. I really liked how the characters, all incredibly stupid or unlikable, interacted with the improbable story line.

Fire Me Boy!
06-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Oswallllld Coooooxxxxx?

cdcox
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Oswallllld Coooooxxxxx?

I identify a lot more with Perry Cox.

pr_capone
06-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Bravo sir... bravo.

Fire Me Boy!
06-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Whatever, Melinda.

cdcox
06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Whatever, Melinda.

??? Missing the reference.

Fire Me Boy!
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
??? Missing the reference.

Perry Cox? Dr. Cox on Scrubs? Always calls J.D. by a girl's name? I just called you a girl's name.

cdcox
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Perry Cox? Dr. Cox on Scrubs? Always calls J.D. by a girl's name? I just called you a girl's name.

Doh!

I should have had my wife explain it to me.

Fire Me Boy!
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Doh!

I should have had my wife explain it to me.

I thought maybe you were referencing something else with the Perry Cox statement. Confused me for a sec.

SBK
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
This movie sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
06-03-2009, 12:08 PM
78% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't understand why so many people don't like this flick.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
78% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't understand why so many people don't like this flick.

It didn't have Will Ferrel/Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson and or nearly enough explosions.

Thig Lyfe
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Burn After Reading gets better with repeat viewings.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Burn After Reading was pretty good IMO. No, it wasn't as great as some of their other works. But still a good movie. I don't understand why most Chiefs fans seem to hate it.

Reaper16
06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Burn After Reading was pretty good IMO. No, it wasn't as great as some of their other works. But still a good movie. I don't understand why most Chiefs fans seem to hate it.
Because Chiefs fans are, on the whole, a bunch of retards. This very message board bears that out.

Silock
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Because Chiefs fans are, on the whole, a bunch of retards. This very message board bears that out.

I agree, because opinions can be right or wrong.

Reaper16
06-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree, because opinions can be right or wrong.
Yes. Some opinions can be right or wrong. As evidence, check out a Comanche post.

Lzen
07-14-2009, 07:45 AM
It had its moments, but it was slow and the jokes were few and far between. When it was funny, it was really funny, but most of the time, it wasn't.

Just saw this movie last night. I agree with this sentiment. It had one redeeming quality and that was Brad Pitt. He was very good and funny, IMO. Otherwise, it was a waste of a couple hours. Glad I didn't waste a Netflix on this. :shake: