PDA

View Full Version : MU Per ESPN: OU has best offense in BigXII because they run the ball better?!?!?

CoMoChief
10-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Really? Through 5 games.....

MU team rushing stats
165 carries for 966 yds 6 ypc 15 TD's

OU team rushing stats
231 carries for 895 yds 4 ypc 16 TD's

MU's top rusher - Derrick Washington
67 carries 500 yards 7.5 ypc 10 TD's

OU's top rusher - DeMarco Murray
85 carries 431 yds 5.1 ypc 5 TD's

Not only that but MU passes more often than OU does and are a lot more effective scoring on ST return game and getting good field position, thus limiting the number of plays MU has to run in order to score points considering how well and efficient that offense is on a shorter field. Just because they run the ball more doesn't mean they are more effective doing so.

I guess they say that because OU has the better Oline?

Stewie
10-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah, they said OU has a better Oline. They also said Texas Tech has a better offense than MU, too. I think they were yanking crap out of their assses.

Dr. Van Halen
10-05-2008, 06:44 AM
I've heard ESPN Radio make this comment several times over the past week.

I think they are looking for justification to support a traditional football power, rather than a relative newcomer. It's a safer bet.

Priest31kc
10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
How does Tech have a better offense than Mizzou??

Did they not see last years game Mizzou - Texas Tech game?

Harrell and TT had their worst passing game in like 2 years against Nevada this year. The next week, Mizzou puts 69 on Nevada and Daniel has over 400 yards and 4 TD with like 2 incompletions.

Mizzou has better skills players, an actual running game thats statistically better than Oklahomas, and Daniel>Harrell anyday. Tech has no running game. All they do is pass. And when a defense controls their passing game, they struggle. Just like what Mizzou's D did to them last year. They dont have a Chase Coffman at TE to create huge mismatches. Perry, Alexander, Saunders and company are much much better than their other WRs. Yes, Crabtree is awesome, but I'd still rather have Maclin because of his gamebreaking speed and versatility in the run game and return game.

Much rather have Mizzou's offense.

I don't mind them saying that about OU just because they do have a power running game and we do not. But i'd give the edge to our passing game.

ohiobronco2
10-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Oklahoma has the bigger names on the O-Line, so they'll naturally be deemed the better running team. What I want to know is how Stoops has escaped all the criticism that Jim Tressel has received. Buckeyes have been embarrassed in back to back championship games, but if memory serves me right, Stoops has lost the last few BCS games he's been in and has done so as the favorite. I've seen Oklahoma blow out teams year after year to start the season, only to lose once or twice to a big 12 rival once conference play begins. Then get completely dismantled in a BCS game.

milkman
10-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Oklahoma has the bigger names on the O-Line, so they'll naturally be deemed the better running team. What I want to know is how Stoops has escaped all the criticism that Jim Tressel has received. Buckeyes have been embarrassed in back to back championship games, but if memory serves me right, Stoops has lost the last few BCS games he's been in and has done so as the favorite. I've seen Oklahoma blow out teams year after year to start the season, only to lose once or twice to a big 12 rival once conference play begins. Then get completely dismantled in a BCS game.

You answered your own question.

OSU has been blown out in the National Championship in consecutive years.

That's the bigger story.

boogblaster
10-05-2008, 07:52 AM
OU is always a contender thats why they get rep ... Im glad MU has finally got a good program ...

Sure-Oz
10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Mark May said MU had the 3rd best O in the big 12, that's fine if they want to keep sipping that koolaid. MU can run with anyone as well.

morphius
10-05-2008, 07:59 AM
They are just going to keep questioning Mizzou until they make up for the double losses to OU last year. The fact that they have you ranked so high already is a good sign.

triple
10-05-2008, 08:21 AM
espn's job is not to report the news, it's to keep you interested by whatever means necessary

beavis
10-05-2008, 09:17 AM
They are just going to keep questioning Mizzou until they make up for the double losses to OU last year. The fact that they have you ranked so high already is a good sign.

That remains to be seen. OU dominated us on the line last year. I fear it won't be an different this year.

Skip Towne
10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
OU has lost 5 of their last 6 bowl games.

Priest31kc
10-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, they have a better O-Line than us, they have a better O-Line than probably any team in the country. But Mizzou has a really good O-Line, Pinkel says its the best he's had since he's been here, and I can clearly see that. It looks like we're physically better than last year, making up for the lack of experience at C and LT. Barnes and Fisher have been awesome. This also makes our running game better than last year.

I can't see OU holding us to 17 points like they did in the Big 12 Championship (by far our lowest points of the season), last year. We scored 31 on em in Norman earlier. I just don't see OU getting consistent pressure like they did last year and like I said, the running game is better.

kstater
10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, they said OU has a better Oline. They also said Texas Tech has a better offense than MU, too. I think they were yanking crap out of their assses.

Tech has a better offense. :grr::sulk:

Sure-Oz
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech has an explosive PASSING offense

Saulbadguy
10-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm anxious to see how Missouri performs at Texas. That will be a great indicator of their success.

banyon
10-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I've heard ESPN Radio make this comment several times over the past week.

I think they are looking for justification to support a traditional football power, rather than a relative newcomer. It's a safer bet.

This is the same reason they were saying USC was invincible just a couple of weeks back.

Until there's a playoff, it's all just a bunch of hype to promote the paper champion as legit.

alanm
10-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes, they have a better O-Line than us, they have a better O-Line than probably any team in the country. But Mizzou has a really good O-Line, Pinkel says its the best he's had since he's been here, and I can clearly see that. It looks like we're physically better than last year, making up for the lack of experience at C and LT. Barnes and Fisher have been awesome. This also makes our running game better than last year.

I can't see OU holding us to 17 points like they did in the Big 12 Championship (by far our lowest points of the season), last year. We scored 31 on em in Norman earlier. I just don't see OU getting consistent pressure like they did last year and like I said, the running game is better.
Then it all comes down to defense. And that favors Oklahoma.

Priest31kc
10-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Then it all comes down to defense. And that favors Oklahoma.

What i'm saying is, I don't think any team will be able to stop the other. I think it will be a shootout, close game.

vailpass
10-05-2008, 10:52 AM
You are Missouri. In the eyes of the sporting world outside of Missouri it is very hard to consider you as equal to the OUs and Texas of the college football world. Not smack just fact.

The beauty of it is that every week you will get a chance to prove it on the field, until finally you play a powerhouse team where they will have to respect you if you win.

eazyb81
10-05-2008, 11:05 AM
What i'm saying is, I don't think any team will be able to stop the other. I think it will be a shootout, close game.

OU didn't have too much trouble shutting down our offense last year.

LiL stumppy
10-05-2008, 11:11 AM

OU does have a better line, 1 if not 2 potential 1st rounders in Robinson and Loadholt. They are very big up front.

Priest31kc
10-05-2008, 12:09 PM

did you not read my post before that??? im not gunna say it all again.

teedubya
10-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Really? Through 5 games.....

MU team rushing stats
165 carries for 966 yds 6 ypc 15 TD's

OU team rushing stats
231 carries for 895 yds 4 ypc 16 TD's

MU's top rusher - Derrick Washington
67 carries 500 yards 7.5 ypc 10 TD's

OU's top rusher - DeMarco Murray
85 carries 431 yds 5.1 ypc 5 TD's

Not only that but MU passes more often than OU does and are a lot more effective scoring on ST return game and getting good field position, thus limiting the number of plays MU has to run in order to score points considering how well and efficient that offense is on a shorter field. Just because they run the ball more doesn't mean they are more effective doing so.

I guess they say that because OU has the better Oline?

Hey guys, isn't it 'cute' when CoMoChief does his MU football love spews in the fall, and his KU Basketball love in the spring. I think its adorable.

kcchiefsus
10-05-2008, 12:30 PM

That's last year, this year's offense is better.

Quarterback- better, Daniel is more experienced
Runningback- better, Washington is WAY more consistent than Temple ever was
Wide receiver- better, with the improvement of Maclin, the return of Alexander, and the emergence of Perry and Saunders
Offensive line- better
Tight end- only position we may have regressed at. Coffman is a superior tight end to Rucker but the combination of Coffman and Rucker cannot be equaled

I also don't believe this year's Oklahoma defense is as good as last years. They lost some talent in the secondary, they lost Mizzou killer Curtis Lofton, and they lost a starting DT for the year.

bobbything
10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Why are MU fans so insecure? #2 in the nation and all they can do is bitch about lack of respect.

I hope Texas buttrapes the shit out of you losers.

Frazod
10-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Why are MU fans so insecure? #2 in the nation and all they can do is bitch about lack of respect.

I hope Texas buttrapes the shit out of you losers.

So who buttraped you?