PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Croyle to start at QB against Titans

Tribal Warfare
10-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Croyle to start at QB against Titans (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/829760.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Brodie Croyle will get another chance to make the Chiefs his team in their next game on Oct. 19 against Tennessee at Arrowhead Stadium. Coach Herm Edwards confirmed Croyle will make his return as the starting quarterback then.

It could be Croyle’s final chance if he can’t stay healthy. As much as anything in a season turned rotten beyond anyone’s imagination, the Chiefs need some stability at quarterback.

If Croyle can’t provide it, the Chiefs will find someone in the offseason who they believe can. So Croyle on Monday didn’t need anyone to tell him how much he needs to avoid injury, for his sake as well as that of his team.

“It’s vital,” he said. “The quarterback has to be out there, has to play. I haven’t been there. Obviously, when I get back, it’s vital for me to stay healthy and vital for me to try to find a way to help this team win.”

The Chiefs fell to 1-4 after Sunday’s 34-0 loss at Carolina. They gained just 127 yards, making it their most futile offensive game in 22 seasons.

Quarterback play is only one reason, but a significant one. The Chiefs counted on Croyle to stabilize the situation, but he separated his shoulder in the season-opening loss at New England.

He missed four games, leaving the spot in the often unsteady hands of Tyler Thigpen and Damon Huard. The Chiefs beat Denver two weeks ago when Larry Johnson rushed for 198 yards but otherwise were dismal offensively in losses to Oakland, Atlanta and the Panthers.

The Chiefs are looking to Croyle to not only give them an offensive boost but also stick around for a while.

“You can’t put it all on him, though,” Edwards said. “We feel he can do some things for us, and it’s good to have him back. They’ve got to put some of it on themselves, though. They can’t just expect him to ride in on a white horse. We’re hoping he can stay healthy and help us win some games. He’s capable of doing that.”

Croyle has neither helped the Chiefs win nor been able to stay healthy. He is 0-7 as their starter and missed time last season because of injuries to his back and throwing hand.

Edwards has said Croyle will start the rest of the season as long as he’s healthy, so his ability to secure the position for the long term might have as much to do with his ability to stay in one piece as playing lights out.

Croyle missed time in college at Alabama because of injuries, so he’s often been asked about whether he’s too brittle to play quarterback. He’s always irritated by the insinuations that he’s not tough enough.

“If it was up to me, I would have tried to play awhile back,” said Croyle, who began throwing in practice last week. “We have a great training staff and great doctors who have been smart about it.

“I won’t be 100 percent. I probably won’t be 100 percent the rest of the year. I’m close enough. It’s just one of those things that ain’t going to go away until you have a couple of months to sit there and rest it.

“It’s not comfortable. I’m not altering my motion, which is the main thing we (didn’t want) to do. It’s football. Everybody plays with pain.

“If I’m healthy, I’m going to go. I just have to make sure that over the next two weeks that everything keeps going the way it’s supposed to be and we don’t have any setbacks. If that’s so, then we’ll be ready to go against Tennessee.”

The Chiefs will practice three times this week before scattering for the weekend, their only one of the season without a game. Offensively, they need to use the time wisely.

Croyle has missed a month, so by now he’s a little bit of a stranger to his teammates. In his absence, the Chiefs not only used Huard and Thigpen, but wide receiver Marques Hagans also took a few snaps at quarterback.

“It’s tough sometimes to get that chemistry when there are all these different quarterbacks,” wide receiver Devard Darling said. “Consistency is the big thing. It’s hard to get things going when the quarterback keeps changing.

“It almost like we’re starting from scratch again. We’ll have Brodie back at quarterback, and the coaches said we’re working on fundamentals this week. It’s kind of like we’re hitting the reset button.”

They can only hope that means Croyle can succeed where Thigpen and Huard consistently couldn’t.

“We just have to get going again,” Croyle said. “We’ve got to get everything rolling and everybody back on the same page. We’re going to be here all week practicing.”

Mecca
10-07-2008, 12:47 AM
He can be as irritated as he wants, truth is dude gets injured on routine hits that QB's have to be able to take.

10-07-2008, 12:50 AM
shit

ClevelandBronco
10-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I really feel bad for this kid. Maybe I shouldn't, but he's right up against the rocks now.

I hope he stays healthy enough to play his way in or out.

ClevelandBronco
10-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Shit. I've been here too long. I'm rooting for a Chiefs QB to prove himself.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Just to play devil's advocate.

Let's suppose that for whatever small chance exists, Croyle plays reasonably well the rest of the season and stays injury free...

I still think we should look for another QB, but I wonder how much of the fanbase would object to us looking for a new QB because Croyle had finally "gotten it together".

Mecca
10-07-2008, 01:01 AM

Let's suppose that for whatever small chance exists, Croyle plays reasonably well the rest of the season and stays injury free...

I still think we should look for another QB, but I wonder how much of the fanbase would object to us looking for a new QB because Croyle had finally "gotten it together".

There are people that object to us getting another QB right now....just check out the Mock thread from Laz.

2bikemike
10-07-2008, 01:01 AM
I really feel bad for this kid. Maybe I shouldn't, but he's right up against the rocks now.

I hope he stays healthy enough to play his way in or out.

He won't make it through the Titans game. That sore shoulder that is less than 100% will be useless by the end of the game. And it won't be because he threw the damn ball so much. He will absolutely get smashed back there.

2bikemike
10-07-2008, 01:06 AM
There are people that object to us getting another QB right now....just check out the Mock thread from Laz.

My only objection is we can't protect the ones we have so sticking another back there without addressing the leaky O-line is kind of pointless.

But who knows maybe if we could generate some kind of passing game it would slow the damn defenses down.

10-07-2008, 01:07 AM
This franchise is fooling themselves if they are not looking at QBs next year.

Mecca
My only objection is we can't protect the ones we have so sticking another back there without addressing the leaky O-line is kind of pointless.

But who knows maybe if we could generate some kind of passing game it would slow the damn defenses down.

Part of the problem is our QB's we have guys who tend to hold the ball to long don't make quick decisions, that kinda thing.

And if they do decide they are going QB, then steps can be made to help with that, you can draft a lineman or 2 in the 2nd or 3rd that can come in and play you can say a FA or 2.

ClevelandBronco
He won't make it through the Titans game. That sore shoulder that is less than 100% will be useless by the end of the game. And it won't be because he threw the damn ball so much. He will absolutely get smashed back there.

That won't be welcome news to your next high draft pick QB. Brodie has to play out this season.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Part of the problem is our QB's we have guys who tend to hold the ball to long don't make quick decisions, that kinda thing.

And if they do decide they are going QB, then steps can be made to help with that, you can draft a lineman or 2 in the 2nd or 3rd that can come in and play you can say a FA or 2.

Part of the problem with decision making, is coaching, IMO. If you look at quarterbacks who initially came from conservative offenses, they tend to hold on to the ball too long. Roethlisberger does it, Croyle does it, Byron Leftwich did it too.

Quarterbacks can't afraid to make mistakes. If you drill "don't fuck up" into their head, they are going to be so afraid of fucking up, that they aren't going to make a throw unless the WR has a ton of separation. So they sit in the pocket and just get annihilated.

El Pendejo
10-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Part of the problem with decision making, is coaching, IMO. If you look at quarterbacks who initially came from conservative offenses, they tend to hold on to the ball too long. Roethlisberger does it, Croyle does it, Byron Leftwich did it too.

Quarterbacks can't afraid to make mistakes. If you drill "don't **** up" into their head, they are going to be so afraid of ****ing up, that they aren't going to make a throw unless the WR has a ton of separation. So they sit in the pocket and just get annihilated.

Right. Clearly I haven't watched Croyle play as much as chiefs fans, but the times I have...there have in my opinion been two re-occurring things that really fuck him up.

1) The chiefs coaching staff doesn't seem to be able to adjust at all to what a defense is doing to them. The game against Miami in the pre-season is a good example of this. Matt Roth and some other dude and the left side of miami's line were constantly in the chief's backfield...wreaking havoc and hitting croyle almost at will. They did nothing to change up their protection or try to slow them down a bit (reverses, screens...etc.)

B) As you mention Croyle does seem to hold the ball far too long. You make a great point about separation. He has the arm strength to make the tight throws...he just doesn't. Whether it's the result of his timidity, or over-coaching only those on the inside can be sure. Perhaps it's both. He won't be successful until he's willing to throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field.

JuicesFlowing
10-07-2008, 01:57 AM
I have a feeling KC will be running the ball on every play.

Bob Dole
10-07-2008, 04:56 AM
1) The chiefs coaching staff doesn't seem to be able to adjust at all to what a defense is doing to them.

They can't adjust because they are puzzled and need to sit down and look at the game tape.

chiefs1111
10-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Brodie is so fragile a gust of wind will knock him over and he'll be injured again...

ChiefGator
10-07-2008, 05:26 AM

Well, regardless we need to pick up another QB in the offseason. I would prefer a seasoned veteran, like maybe Derek Anderson. And a high-ish draft pick on one.

If Croyle plays well enough, I think we could look at using the 1st rounder on a MLB/DE.

I love the argument of draft a kid high, and let him sit on the sideline and learn, but I don't think that is possible with our coaches.

King_Chief_Fan
10-07-2008, 06:06 AM

I am not worried about Croyle playing good enough or staying healthy. He won't. So, start the process and strategy to 1) acquire a veteran or 2) draft a QB.

Bane
10-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Haynesworth will have Brodie back on the bench before the half.

thumper118
10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
The thing is no one has seen Brodie play that much because he is always hurt. I like somethings he does but he needs to get stronger to avoid injury. He is a bean pole and when a 300+ defensive lineman blows passed our horrid offensive line then you have to be able to absorb some of the blow. He is a project QB at best.

Redrum_69
10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
doesnt matter if we have Peyton Manning, Rivers, whomever...doesnt matter with the O-Line we have, someones going to get carted or limping off the field.

by the way, have i said it doesnt matter?

and prove himself? croyle?!?! lol

prove to everyone hes a whiny bitch that just needs to be a huard for the rest of his life.

Sure-Oz
10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, Croyle should play out and be evaluated at the end of the season. If there is a stud QB in the draft when we are picking, you most likely grab him...

talastan
10-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I like Brodie, his attitude, his ability to throw deep (If the coaches would ever let him), and his mobility. I think first the coaching staff isn't taking advantage of Croyle's strengths, secondly they are putting him in a position to fail by not letting him do what he does best. However his injury history has everyone concerned and I really think he is playing for the #2 spot on next season's roster. We'll probably draft another QB, and have him and Croyle compete. Brodie would have to suddenly become Peyton or Montana to maintain his starter status for next year. I know that even if he has the talent this won't happen because first he is injury prone, and because the coaches don't believe in a vertical threat passing game. So if Brodie knows what's good for him he better learn to take his hits and deal with the pain, and start doing like Peyton did when Dungy first came to Indy and ignore the conservative playcalling and start getting the ball downfield. JMO.

boogblaster
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Croyle is too fragile period ... Those hits he's taken haven't been that hard ... I don't know if it's NFL standards on health issues or what, but 10 to 15 years ago QBs got up dusted their pants and took the next snap ...

PastorMikH
10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
If Brodie's going to play, take Herm's leash off the O and let them play.

And the tackles need to make sure they don't let anyone get to Brodie.

talastan
10-07-2008, 08:51 AM
And the tackles need to make sure they don't let anyone get to Brodie.

That starts by getting Mac "The Sack Attack" Intosh on the bench where he belongs!!

Frazod
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Yay Brokie!

:shake:

Deberg_1990
10-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Amazing isnt it??

look at the stability that a new QB has given the Atlanta Falcons. Sometimes i question the sanity of this fanbase.....

CoMoChief
10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Truth is we are so fucking terrible in every aspect of an organization and none of this shit is going to matter.

Reerun_KC
Amazing isnt it??

look at the stability that a new QB has given the Atlanta Falcons. Sometimes i question the sanity of this fanbase.....Carl has drilled into the fanbase for 20 years... People are already talking about going out and getting a "seasoned vet" WTF is a seasoned vet? Did someone sprinkle some Tonys on them or something? Do they smell good?

Seasoned Vet ROFL

the fear of winning runs deep through this fanbase, just as Carl, They are scared to take chances to win, Ala bring back Cowher...

More of the same, just dont screw up my home game sundays, I want to feel good when we leave the stadium...

CoMoChief
FUCK FIELD POSITION FOOTBALL.......you play to not lose the game!!!!!

Deberg_1990
10-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Carl has drilled into the fanbase for 20 years... People are already talking about going out and getting a "seasoned vet" WTF is a seasoned vet? Did someone sprinkle some Tonys on them or something? Do they smell good?

Seasoned Vet ROFL

the fear of winning runs deep through this fanbase, just as Carl, They are scared to take chances to win, Ala bring back Cowher...

More of the same, just dont screw up my home game sundays, I want to feel good when we leave the stadium...

Yep. I Agree 100%.

Its time for a complete gutting of that entire Stadium.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Yep. I Agree 100%.

Its time for a complete gutting of that entire Stadium.

Well they are remodling right now... :D

Deberg_1990
10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Well they are remodling right now... :D

Then they can take out the trash thats infested that place for 20 years.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Then they can take out the trash thats infested that place for 20 years.

This might help Arrowhead...

http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/original/Douche.jpg

RINGLEADER
10-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Agree. Croyle is not the answer. Trade for a vet, draft a QB who can learn for a couple years, and hope that one/both of them pans out.

Micjones
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Unless the Chiefs plan to run the ball 45 times next Sunday...
We had better keep the cart ready for Croyle. That Titans defense is ravenous.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Trade for a vet, draft a QB who can learn for a couple years, and hope that one/both of them pans out.

Yeah cause that has worked out so far for the last 20 years... 3 playoff wins (Thanks Joe without you Marty would never won either of those games) to show for it...

Just say no to the 90's and the retred vet...

Draft a QB and build around them, with a new coaching staff and GM of course.

ChiefsCountry
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Croyle played pretty well against Tennessee last year.

Micjones
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Croyle played pretty well against Tennessee last year.

He did?

He threw two picks that day, completed just 58% of his passes, and completed 25 passes for a scant 217 passing yards (an average of 5 yards per completion).

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
He did?

He threw two picks that day, completed just 58% of his passes, and completed 25 passes for a scant 217 passing yards (an average of 5 yards per completion).

Better than what Downfield BigDillo did last week...

You know " the best chance to win now "

Micjones
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Better than what Downfield BigDillo did last week...

You know " the best chance to win now "

Comparatively yes, but that isn't saying much.
Hell I could've come up with a better game on Sunday than Huard did.

Thing is... I can be honest about it.
Huard played a HORRIBLE game on Sunday.
And I've said time and again we should already be looking for a new QBOTF to replace ALL of the trash we currently have at the position this year.

The sooner the Croyle crusaders admit that he's not the answer either...the better.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM

And I've said time and again we should already be looking for a new QBOTF to replace ALL of the trash we currently have at the position this year.

The sooner the Croyle crusaders admit that he's not the answer either...the better.

Everyone knows he is not the answer, he is the best we have now, which isnt saying much... But our coaching staff is responsible for all 3 of these guys on the roster.

We need a QBOTF badly, but first we need a coaching staff that can develop a QBOTF.

I would rather see Croyle/Thigpen play the rest of this year, win or lose, then to trott Huard back out there. Huard sure the hell isnt helping the development of this team. And sooner the homers realized and admit this, the better.....

Long Duk Dong
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Sounds good...go Croyle....could be a long day. Titans have a good defense.

Micjones
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I would rather see Croyle/Thigpen play the rest of this year, win or lose, then to trott Huard back out there. Huard sure the hell isnt helping the development of this team. And sooner the homers realized and admit this, the better.....

Croyle should play so we can put an end to this God awful experiment once and for all. He'll prove again that he neither has the skill set or the ability to stay healthy. I'm fully prepared to watch him lay an egg for the rest of the year. Just to shut the Croyle crusaders up.

When is the last time this team won a game?
Who was at QB?

Is there any other QB on this team who has ever participated in a winning effort? Okay then...

Huard isn't the answer and shouldn't start another game for this team, unless he plays in relief of the injury-prone Croyle, but he's STILL the best QB on this team.

We should be on the phone inquiring about guys like Matt Flynn now...
Or preparing to find a new QB coach and draft Stafford come April.

talastan
10-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Not that I disagree much with you Micjones, but why does it really matter what the "Croyle Crusaders" have to say. It isn't like the coaches listen to anyone of us more than the other. If you're just upset about the fact that some people here believe in giving Croyle his shot and, whether through lack of knowledge or stubborness, are not willing to admit his shortcomings; then wait until he proves himself worthy or not. It's okay to agree to disagree....

CoMoChief
10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Croyle sucks and other teams know it and will continue to line the box up with 8/9 players to stop LJ and the running game and will force Croyle to beat them......Other teams also know that we don't throw any passes past 10 yards so they play up a little bit, thus we can't fuckin produce shit on offense.

Micjones
10-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Not that I disagree much with you Micjones, but why does it really matter what the "Croyle Crusaders" have to say. It isn't like the coaches listen to anyone of us more than the other. If you're just upset about the fact that some people here believe in giving Croyle his shot and, whether through lack of knowledge or stubborness, are not willing to admit his shortcomings; then wait until he proves himself worthy or not. It's okay to agree to disagree....

I'm not at all bothered that some people still believe in Croyle.
That's their inalienable, God-given right.

I was merely responding to a particular poster about the merits of one QB versus the other. This is a message board so that's to be expected.

And I think I alluded to the fact that I'm ready for him to prove himself unworthy of the job.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Croyle should play so we can put an end to this God awful experiment once and for all. He'll prove again that he neither has the skill set or the ability to stay healthy. I'm fully prepared to watch him lay an egg for the rest of the year. Just to shut the Croyle crusaders up.

When is the last time this team won a game?
Who was at QB?

Is there any other QB on this team who has ever participated in a winning effort? Okay then...

Huard isn't the answer and shouldn't start another game for this team, unless he plays in relief of the injury-prone Croyle, but he's STILL the best QB on this team.

We should be on the phone inquiring about guys like Matt Flynn now...
Or preparing to find a new QB coach and draft Stafford come April.

Yet Huard led this team on sunday to the worse preformance in ages for the Chiefs...

As soon as the Huard crusaders let go of this never was the better we will be as a fan base...

I could give a shit less what Huard has done or hasnt done (which is more likely) for this team, He proveds nothing for the future, neither does Croyle, Thigpen or Herm and his coaching staff...

And no Huard is not the best on this team, unless you are talking about armadilloing when someone breaths on him?

talastan
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Croyle sucks and other teams know it and will continue to line the box up with 8/9 players to stop LJ and the running game and will force Croyle to beat them......Other teams also know that we don't throw any passes past 10 yards so they play up a little bit, thus we can't ****in produce shit on offense.

And if we can't we have a new QB, and hopefully either a new GM or a new HC or both! :)

It is a win/win if you ask me. Let Croyle get his chance. If he miraculously lights it up and doesn't get injured than great. If not we'll be looking for someone else next draft.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm not at all bothered that some people still believe in Croyle.
That's their inalienable, God-given right.

I was merely responding to a particular poster about the merits of one QB versus the other. This is a message board so that's to be expected.

And I think I alluded to the fact that I'm ready for him to prove himself unworthy of the job.

ready to prove himself unworthy for the job? Uh dont you think he already has? I know I have, the china doll cant stay on the field...

so whats your point?

philfree
10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
The Titans game is the wrong game to do it but Herm has to let Croyle play the game with his strengths. We need to come out passing early and deep.. If Croyle becomes injured again then we know he is what he appears to be. To fragile to be an NFL QB. It's time to quit caudling him. It's time to sink or swim. If he makes mistakes at least he'll have something to learn from. If he plays well and stays healthy then we may have a QB. I don't expect much at this point but I still harbor a little hope that Croyle might turn out. Either way we'll have to pick up two maybe three QBs for 2009.

PhilFree:arrow: