PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are the Chiefs an attractive franchise to a new coach?

SBK
10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I've seen it mentioned that no coach would want to come to KC with our wreck of a franchise in it's current form. I disagree with that, let's see what the planet says.

Suppose at the end of the season Clark fires everyone. We have no coaching staff, and no GM. He hires a great prospect for GM, let's say someone from the Indy, Pittsburgh or Green Bay offices. A real up and comer. A potential superstar.

Now it's time to find a coach. The coach looks at what we've done and what pieces we currently have in place. We have a top 3 pick with a franchise QB a very real possibility with their first pick as head coach. A very promising young defense with just a few additions and improved coaching. Several marquee players on offense, a few more additions after that QB and some promise there as well. The team is very young, with the right coaching and additions you have the pieces in place to make a very good and long run.

All coaches know the franchise in good shape needing a new coach is rare. Only in the case of retirements do coaches leave voluntarily....

So do you look at the pieces in place in KC and see a great opportunity, or do you see it as a train wreck and stay away?

Saying Clark cleans the front office I think the KC job actually looks pretty freaking nice. What say you?

Sure-Oz
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
We have some talent here offensively and defensively. No coaching worth a damn though and we have potential to get better. Young WR, franchise RB, even if he sucks currently, young LT, young DT and Corners...

We just aroen't playing well and Clark does need to clean house, it's obvious Herm's philosophy sucks and we have a ton of cap space for FA's if we choose.

MOhillbilly
10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
imo carl is the biggest set back. other than that THIS TEAM HAS GOOD YOUNG TALENT.

TrebMaxx
10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
If Carl is gone I would see no reason why KC would not be an attractive Head Coaching job. Lot's of young talent, and a high draft pick on the way.

Hammock Parties
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Kiffin would come here just for the chance to stick it to Al twice a year. I think he would love working with some of the young talent here.

MIAdragon
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
and it cant get any worse.

MOhillbilly
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
herm and carl will both be back next year. noway clark shits on them this early with a team this young.
not saying they maybe dont deserve it, but i dont see it happenin.

ChiefsCountry
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Other than the small market factor, Chiefs are pretty good NFL job. We have some good young talent and potentially have the chance to draft a franchise QB. Not to mention if you win here, people will love you forever see Marty and if you win a Super Bowl you would be immortal.

CoMoChief
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
We'd look damn sexy on defense if Jared Allen was still here.

redbrian
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Lets see.......a coach is given his choice to go work for Al in Oakland or Clark in KC........I don't think they would think twice do you....

vailpass
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Lets see.......a coach is given his choice to go work for Al in Oakland or Clark in KC........I don't think they would think twice do you....

So you're saying they would sit in the broadcast booth for a year then see what other jobs open up? :)

The Franchise
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I think we'd be the perfect place for a new head coach if Clark gets rid of everyone.

A new GM could come in here with the potential to grab a franchise QB....and he has a TON of cap space to play around with.

A new coach has some quality, young talent to work with and he also has the greatest TE to be there for the new QB. He can also bring in his own coach staff and not have to worry about leftovers.

This all comes down to if Clark guts the FO.

The Franchise
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Kiffin would come here just for the chance to stick it to Al twice a year. I think he would love working with some of the young talent here.

I wonder if we even have a realistic shot at Kiffin....or if he'll go back to the college ranks.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I think we'd be the perfect place for a new head coach if Clark gets rid of everyone.

A new GM could come in here with the potential to grab a franchise QB....and he has a TON of cap space to play around with.

A new coach has some quality, young talent to work with and he also has the greatest TE to be there for the new QB. He can also bring in his own coach staff and not have to worry about leftovers.

QFT 100%

redbrian
10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
So you're saying they would sit in the broadcast booth for a year then see what other jobs open up?

.....make a six figure salary in the booth, or build a team and make seven figure.......

ceebz
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Why does everyone want Kiffin?

And of the teams that will be looking for a new head coach next season; Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Oakland... I think the Chiefs job is right up there.

Red Brooklyn
10-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Absolutely agree. KC looks nice with a fresh FO.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Absolutely agree. KC looks nice with a fresh FO.

couldnt agree more...

Mr. Arrowhead
10-07-2008, 10:36 AM
then if you add on the new stadium renovations

xbarretx
10-07-2008, 10:37 AM

so realisticly why doesnt Clark do something about this? does he just not care about the team?

dallaschiefsfan
10-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Not even an issue. History is here. The 90's weren't that long ago. Getting the town back believing isn't as hard as one might think. All you need is a guy that takes some PR cues from Marty and respect the tradition of our fans and drink Chiefs blood...things will turn around quickly. Herm is a PR nightmare. There's nothing in his blood that bleeds Chiefs red. I never get the feeling he really cares about this city, the fans or the tradition that came before him.

Hammock Parties
10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
so realisticly why doesnt Clark do something about this? does he just not care about the team?

I think he will. No point doing it right now.

MahiMike
There's a 100 Lane Kiffin's out there that would love the resume builder and the paycheck. Besides, this team can't get any worse. No pressure.

OnTheWarpath15
Depends on who we're talking about.

A younger up-and-comer will be all over this job like white on rice, for all the reasons already mentioned.

But for those of you that think Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer are walking through that door, you're going to be disappointed.

An established coach like those two are going to be looking for the perfect job, one that affords them a quick shot at a SB. We don't have that to offer, and no, money isn't going to talk on this one.

Hopefully Clark is smart enough to go out and find the next Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, etc - and not go to the scrap heap and hire another old 2nd/3rd tier retread.

xbarretx
10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I think he will. No point doing it right now.

so what record is the safety net for herm (or is there none)? are you saying hes ok if we lucks out 4 wins? or at the end of the season ... mr clean comes through with the scrubbing bubbles to wash this dirty coaching staff :hmmm:

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 10:44 AM

A younger up-and-comer will be all over this job like white on rice, for all the reasons already mentioned.

But for those of you that think Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer are walking through that door, you're going to be disappointed.

An established coach like those two are going to be looking for the perfect job, one that affords them a quick shot at a SB. We don't have that to offer, and no, money isn't going to talk on this one.

Hopefully Clark is smart enough to go out and find the next Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, etc - and not go to the scrap heap and hire another old 2nd/3rd tier retread.

ROFL, couldnt help myself... If you want no shot at a superbowl, you hire Martha.... He has yet to prove people wrong...

triple
10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
it's a good place to be as long as Carl is gone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-07-2008, 10:45 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICdXAmd1TWA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICdXAmd1TWA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

triple
10-07-2008, 10:46 AM

plenty of guys would take a rebuilding project for the right money and for the right GM

Hammock Parties
so what record is the safety net for herm (or is there none)? are you saying hes ok if we lucks out 4 wins? or at the end of the season ... mr clean comes through with the scrubbing bubbles to wash this dirty coaching staff :hmmm:

Dude, we're dicked. Look at the schedule. I'll be surprised if we win a game until next month.

Mr. Flopnuts
There is no doubt in my mind that KC will be a hot job once Carl and Herm are fired. If 1 goes, they'll both go. At that point, there are a lot of people I'll bet that pick up the phone and call Clark. We have a great young nucleus, and perhaps the best fans in football. Those two positions won't be hard to fill at all IMO.

Mr. Laz
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
a coach can keep his job while completely sucking at it ...... what's not to like?

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 11:00 AM
plenty of guys would take a rebuilding project for the right money and for the right GM

Sure they would. Plenty of young guys looking to cut their teeth. But sorry, a GOOD established coach is going to pass on this job. Unless your a Mike Holmgren type and are looking for total control - and even that is hard to believe, IMO.

Give me 1 solid reason why Bill Cowher would come out of retirement, after leaving one of the best franchises in the league, be away from his family in Carolina - to come here and bang his head against the wall for the next 3 years.

Cowher is making a shit-ton of money w/CBS and gets to spend the week with his family.

Win-win.

Hammock Parties
10-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe we can get Kubiak?

triple
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Sure they would. Plenty of young guys looking to cut their teeth. But sorry, a GOOD established coach is going to pass on this job. Unless your a Mike Holmgren type and are looking for total control - and even that is hard to believe, IMO.

Give me 1 solid reason why Bill Cowher would come out of retirement, after leaving one of the best franchises in the league, be away from his family in Carolina - to come here and bang his head against the wall for the next 3 years.

Cowher is making a shit-ton of money w/CBS and gets to spend the week with his family.

Win-win.

Because he wants to come back but only for a lot of money and total control. It's common knowledge around the league.

Mr. Arrowhead
some people here act like if we just hire bill cowher then things will be better instantly, but it wont it's gonna take patience, It will take 1 minium to get us at least competive again.

Mr. Laz
Give me 1 solid reason why Bill Cowher would come out of retirement
competition

suds79
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
What's with Bill Cowher's name being thrown out 90+% of the time as a possible Herm replacement?

Yes he'd certainly be an upgrade over Herm but we're talking about the same style of coach.

Is it possible for this organization to go in a direction with a Gm & HC who doesn't have previous ties here? Some new blood would be much welcomed to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
What's with Bill Cowher's name being thrown out 90+% of the time as a possible Hern replacement?

Yes he'd certainly be an upgrade over Herm but we're talking about the same style of coach.

Is it possible for this organization to go in a direction with a Gm & HC who doesn't have previous ties here? Some new blood would be much welcomed to me.

Just my 2 cents.

But but but, we were good in the 90's, Cowher just like Herm can restore that Chiefs pride...

You know Defense, run the ball, 9 -7.... Who knows what happens when we get to the playoffs, You just have to have hope!

SBK
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I personally would like a guy like Spagnola, or similar. A coordinator with a very bright future.

Pass on the status quo, let's build something great. We've started doing that with our players, it's time to do it with our front office and coaching staff.

Get a coach that fills his staff with future head coaches. Get a GM who builds the franchise by putting the best people in the world around him, not a bunch of his cronies.

SBK
10-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Cowher, if he comes back, is going to the franchise he played for, who will also be hiring this off-season.

xbarretx
10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Dude, we're dicked. Look at the schedule. I'll be surprised if we win a game until next month.

i agree so whats the odds on a house cleaning?

CoMoChief
10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
If Cowher comes.....so does the 3-4 and would make a happy Gun.

And defense would come back to KC

SBK
10-07-2008, 11:23 AM

And Clark would have blown $50,000,000 on Dorsey, which is why you won't see a 3-4 in KC.

rambleonthruthefog
10-07-2008, 11:36 AM
And Clark would have blown $50,000,000 on Dorsey, which is why you won't see a 3-4 in KC.

don't you still need someone quick, big, strong, etc. to stuff the run right up the middle, or offset to either side?

Deberg_1990
10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
This is all that matters to a coach:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

HemiEd
10-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I want them to hire some young guy, that these players can identify with. Someone that wants to build a solid reputation, but has the understanding of the game and how to do it.
Is Lane Kiffen that guy, maybe. He would sure be motivated to take care of job 1.
As far as retreads, I would love to have Marty take over for Carl Peterson. But that is it, no others.

evolve27
10-07-2008, 11:51 AM

I was thinking December.

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Because he wants to come back but only for a lot of money and total control. It's common knowledge around the league.

And he can get all those things somewhere else, closer to home, with a better base to build on.

Next.

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
competition

Feel free to answer the ENTIRE question...

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 11:54 AM

If that were true, Cowher would still be in Pittsburgh.

He put his wife and family first, and is living the best of both worlds now.

Great paycheck from CBS, and 6 days a week with the family.

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
What's with Bill Cowher's name being thrown out 90+% of the time as a possible Herm replacement?

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you, and have been saying the same things all year.

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe we can get Kubiak?

Huh?

He's got a shit-ton of talent in Houston, and can't get anything out of it.

Hammock Parties
10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Huh?

He's got a shit-ton of talent in Houston, and can't get anything out of it.

A shit-ton of talent? How do you figure?

blueballs
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
they have to pay more
and the money goes further in KC
so yes

suds79
10-07-2008, 12:11 PM

Ugh I just shuttered to the thought of Gun still being on the staff.

Gun kinda strikes me as the type who's not going to out-scheme or out-smart anybody.

I love his fire don't get me wrong. But when he's able to suit up and play, then I'll put more weight into that.

philfree
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Are the Chiefs an attractive franchise to a new coach?

There are only 32 NFL HC positions in the whole world. They are all high paying high profile jobs which makes them all attractive. Some more than others no doubt but they are all attractive jobs.

PhilFree:arrow:

Chief Faithful
10-07-2008, 12:33 PM
It would be attractive as long as they don't read Chiefs Planet.

Rausch
10-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Gun would be fired day 1.

Indeed...

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
A shit-ton of talent? How do you figure?

They are better than KC at almost every position on the field.

Schaub/Rosenfels > Croyle/Huard

Slaton/Green < LJ/Charles (though it's getting closer by the day)

Andre Johnson/Kevin Walter/Andre Davis > Dwayne Bowe/Devard Darling/Will Franklin

Owen Daniels < TG

Texans right side of OL > KC's

Chester Pitts < Brian Waters

Duane Brown and Albert are a push to this point, IMO. (Until Albert can stay healthy for more than 2 games)

On defense, their front 7 is way better than ours, (ND Kalu is a backup for them, he'd be a starter for us) and we have the edge in the defensive backfield.

We have a better punter, while they have a better kicker, and kickoff/punt coverage units and return units.

Care to dispute?

MOhillbilly
10-07-2008, 01:01 PM

:spock: you know nothin.

Hammock Parties
10-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Their defense really hasn't been very good. And Kubes hasn't found a quarterback...Schaub is who I thought he was...

Kubiak did an EXCELLENT coaching job last year. He's an offensive-minded guy and made Jake Plummer look good. I think he'd be a good hire.