PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz-Play By Play Of The 1st Half Against Carolina

philfree
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
It's really just an out line of how bad McInsack and Jones need to be benched.

Second Look: Carolina
October 7, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

Yes, it’s just as ugly the second time.

That coaches sit there and look through an entire game tape of a performance like the Chiefs had in Carolina has to be one of the worst aspects of the job.

I have an ample middle, but I didn’t have the guts to watch the entire game. Instead I zeroed in on the Chiefs offense in the first half. It was certainly one of the most inept performances by a single side of the football in many years for the Chiefs.

There were 18 situations: 16 official plays and two penalties. Those 18 situations led to just 13 yards. They lost 15 yards on two penalties and the 16 snaps produced 28 yards.

Here’s how it looked the second time:

1st-and-10 at the Chiefs 18-yard line.The Chiefs came out with one-back (1), two tight ends (2) and two wide receivers (2). The tight ends lined up on the left side, the wide receivers to the right. QB Damon Huard came to the line and changed the play before the snap. This extra time in his stance apparently was more than RG Adrian Jones could handle and he flinched. Jones was flagged for a false start. Result: minus-5 yards.

1st-and-15 at the Chiefs 13-yard line.The Chiefs stay in 1-2-2 and with the same alignment; tight ends left and wide receivers right. Huard handed off to Larry Johnson who goes right at the gap between right guard and right tackle. Jones could not clear LB Thomas Davis out of the hole and Johnson ran into the two of them and fell down. Result: minus-2 yards.

2nd-and-17 at the Chiefs 11-yard line. The offense lined up in a 1-1-3 set, with the TE lined up strong right, and two wide receivers left. Huard took the snap under center and the play was going to be a quick throw to WR Dwayne Bowe on the left side. But Carolina DE Tyler Brayton hit the gap between Jones and RT Damion McIntosh, and roared into the backfield and hit Huard, forcing a fumble. Johnson recovered for the Chiefs. That Brayton could shoot that gap and not be touched by McIntosh is astonishing. Result: minus-8 yards.

3rd-and-25 at the Chiefs 3-yard line. The Chiefs came out with 1-1-3 and Huard in the shotgun. The running back was Jamaal Charles. The Panthers rushed four and DE Charles Johnson came off the line untouched as McIntosh doubled down on the tackle. Charles chipped the rushing Johnson, barely slowing him down and then goes off to catch a pass. Huard can’t get the ball over Johnson, who knocked it down for an incompletion. How the Chiefs expected Charles to block the rushing end and then get into the pass route all by himself is hard to understand. Result: 0 yards.

1st-and-10 at the Chiefs 20-yard line. The offense came out in 2-2-1, with the tight ends strong left, the wide receivers on the right and Johnson and FB Mike Cox in the I-formation. Johnson took a pitch and runs at right tackle. McIntosh took out the DE, while Cox got a nice block on the run-support safety and cleaned him out of the hole. But on the second level, Jones wasn’t fast enough to get across the face of LB Davis, or strong enough to knock him down. Davis made the tackle. Johnson got four yards, but had Jones blocked Davis, he might have doubled that total. Result: 4 yards.

2nd-and-6 at the Chiefs 24-yard line. Aligned in 2-2-1, the tight ends were strong right, the wide receivers were left and the backs were in a split formation. Johnson ran at the gap between center and right guard and gained three yards. But C Rudy Niswanger was flagged for holding on DT Maake Kemoeatu. On a second look, Niswanger probably got flagged because his left arm was on the outside of Kemoeatu’s body and the defensive tackle ended up falling to the ground. It may have looked to the umpire who threw the flag that Niswanger threw his man to the ground. Result: minus-10 yards.

2nd-and 16 at the Chiefs 14-yard line. The offense came out in the same 2-2-1 personnel group, with split backs, tight ends strong right and the wide receivers left. TE Tony Gonzalez went in motion. Carolina rushed five, but Huard had good protection and threw deep down the left sideline to Bowe. The pass was about three yards overthrown. TV commentator Rich Gannon said the ball landed out of bounds, but it did not; it hit the ground in bounds. It was good placement, just overthrown. Result: 0 yards.

3rd-and-16 at the Chiefs 14-yard line.The Chiefs came out in 1-1-3, with Huard in the shotgun and Charles beside him. Gonzalez lined up in the slot on the left side. Against a four-man rush, Huard took the snap and locked on immediately to Gonzalez. He got rid of the ball quickly, throwing to Gonzalez who had two men around him. Gonzalez made the catch, setting the career receiving yardage record for tight ends, but he was tackled immediately and was 10 yards short of the first down marker. This play never had a chance to move the sticks because Huard made an immediate decision and threw to a spot that was 10 yards away from getting a first down. Result: 6 yards.

So far, the Chiefs lined up on offense eight times and produced minus-15 yards.

1st-and-10 at the Chiefs 21-yard line. Coming out in a normal 2-1-2 alignment with the tight end lined up strong left and the backs split. Johnson took the handoff and hit the left side of the line at the gap between center and left guard. Niswanger handled one tackle and LG Brian Waters handled the other, opening a hole. Cox got a good block on a linebacker and Johnson hit the hole. LB Jon Beason flowed to the play unblocked and made the tackle. Result: 4 yards.

2nd-and-6 at the Chiefs 25-yard line. The Chiefs came out in 2-2-1, with tight ends strong left, the wide receiver right and the backs in a split formation. On the snap, Waters pulled to his right, Johnson took the handoff and ran right. DT Darwin Walker was blocked by both McIntosh and Cox, but still made the tackle, holding Johnson to a short gain. Result: 1 yard.

3rd-and-5 at the Chiefs 26-yard line. In the shotgun with one back, Gonzalez and three wide receivers, the offense had three receivers lined up on the right side. Gonzalez came in motion from right to left. On the snap, Huard looked only to his left for Gonzalez. The Carolina defensive line ran a stunt and Walker came on the outside to the left of Huard. He was blocked by LT Herb Taylor and was not pressuring the quarterback. Huard threw for Gonzalez, but Walker knocked the pass down. Even if the ball had gotten through, Gonzalez would have struggled to get the first down, as he was two yards short on his route and there were two potential tacklers converging on him. Result: 0 yards.

Now, that’s 11 times the Chiefs lined up and they produced minus-10 yards.

1st-and-10 at the Chiefs 20-yard line. The offense lined up in 1-2-2, with Johnson as the single back, the receivers on the left side and the tight ends strong right. Gonzalez went in motion from right to left. Huard took the snap and dropped back to pass, looking left. His pass was knocked down by pass rushing tackle Kemoeatu. Result: 0 yards.

2nd-and-10 at the Chiefs 20-yard line. The Chiefs offense is 2-2-1, with the tight ends strong right, wide receiver left and the backs split. One note: Herb Taylor lined up in a pass blocking stance and his helmet was a good yard behind that of the rest of the offensive line. He should have been called for this, that’s how obvious it was. Carolina sent five in a pass rush and Huard shuffled out of the pocket to his right. Feeling the pressure coming, he threw a horrible pass across his body towards Gonzalez who was covered on three sides. The ball should have been intercepted by CB Chris Gamble, who dropped the ball. There’s no way this pass should have been thrown. Result: 0 yards.

3rd-and-10 at the Chiefs 20-yard line. Chan Gailey had a new set up for the shotgun in this game, sending out a 2-1-2 personnel group with Charles and Dantrell Savage in the backfield on either side of Huard. Carolina rushed four and Huard had good protection, throwing to his left side where he connected with Bowe who beat press coverage from CB Ken Lucas for the Chiefs initial first down of the game. That came with approximately 9 minutes, 35 seconds to play in the second quarter. Result: 15 yards.

1st-and-10 at the Chiefs 35-yard line. Back to the normal pro-set 2-1-2 alignment, with the backs in an I-formation and the TE lined up in the slot right. Gonzalez went in motion and ended up strong right. Johnson took the pitch from Huard. LB Davis shot into the backfield and Cox could not block him. Davis stopped Johnson for a three-yard loss. Result: minus-3 yards.

2nd-and-13 at the Chiefs 32-yard line. Again in the 2-1-2, the backs were split, with Gonzalez in the right slot. He went in motion again to the strong right position. Huard fakes a handoff to Johnson and boots to his right. He was pressured from Brayton and threw to Gonzalez at the Chiefs 30-yard line. Gonzalez was able to get positive yardage out of the play by breaking a tackle. Result: 3 yards.

3rd-and-10 at the Chiefs 35-yard line. Back in the shotgun with a 2-1-2 set, with Gonzalez in the slot on the left side. Carolina rushed four on Huard, who threw to his left side. Darling was beyond the first-down marker, but had to come back to make the catch and is tackled short of a first down. Result: 9 yards.

1st-and-10 at the Chiefs 17-yard line. Huard took the snap and kneels down to end the half. Result: minus-1 yard.

It’s hard to imagine an offense producing a more pitiful performance in a half. Sixteen plays, 28 yards, one first down with the deepest penetration being their own 44-yard line. Only four of those 16 plays started outside the Chiefs 25-yard line.
-----------

Reads as bad it looked :shake:

PhilFree:arrow:

StcChief
10-07-2008, 07:33 PM
glad I missed, wished I'd saved my gas and not driven to bar to watch part of the 2nd half.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
10-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I note how even Gretz noticed that Hutard was locking onto one receiver from the moment the ball was snapped and not going through his reads.

"Oh my God, I have to throw the ball quick or I may get hit . . ."

He's hit his expiration date, folks.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I note how even Gretz noticed that Hutard was locking onto one receiver from the moment the ball was snapped and not going through his reads.

Not the first time Downfield BigDillo has done that...

bkkcoh
10-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Should it really be locking in on a receiver if you only have time to look at the 1st option? :banghead:

Katie
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Should it really be locking in on a receiver if you only have time to look at the 1st option? :banghead:

BK - that is hilarious! But really, how can Herm possibly watch the video of this game and NOT make a change on the right side?:doh!:

milkman
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
BK - that is hilarious! But really, how can Herm possibly watch the video of this game and NOT make a change on the right side?:doh!:

It's called "moronacy".

KCUnited
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Sweet. Nice Article. Now if I could just get Pedro Cerrano to read it too me aloud with a Sara McLachlan song playing mildly in the background it will we like watching it all over again.

cookster50
10-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Guess you don't know anything about Herm.