PDA

View Full Version : Misc Things to do in Chicago?

Ralphy Boy
10-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Looking at taking the family up there over Thanksgiving weekend. Any suggestions?

DaKCMan AP
10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I was just in Chicago 2 weekends ago for a wedding. We went to the Science & Industry Museum (meh), the Art Institute of Chicago (AWESOME!) and Millennium Park (great). Also walked around Michigan Avenue a lot. Really enjoyed the city. If I had more time I would have hit up more museums, Navy Pier and spent more time exploring Rush street at night. ;)

Frazod
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I bumped an old thread for you.

Museum of Science and Industry RULES. Especially for a crappy weather time of year, I recommend this as the No. 1 thing to do. The Shedd Aquarium is also very interesting. Near the Aquarium is the Field Museum, but personally I found it to be a bit boring. I've never been to the Adler Planetarium or the Art Museum.

DaKCMan AP
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Museum of Science and Industry RULES. Especially for a crappy weather time of year, I recommend this as the No. 1 thing to do. The Shedd Aquarium is also very interesting. Near the Aquarium is the Field Museum, but personally I found it to be a bit boring. I've never been to the Adler Planetarium or the Art Museum.

I enjoyed the Science and Industry museum since I enjoy that type of stuff. I was disappointed somewhat, however, because I think it could be a lot more hands-on. I really enjoyed the Art Institute of Chicago, however.

Frazod
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I enjoyed the Science and Industry museum since I enjoy that type of stuff. I was disappointed somewhat, however, because I think it could be a lot more hands-on. I really enjoyed the Art Institute of Chicago, however.

Perhaps I'll go to the Art Institute one of these days. I'm not much of an art guy, though.

BWillie
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Wear a shirt that says World Series Wins in the last 100 years: Royals 1, Cubs 0.

Just a thought

CoMoChief
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Perhaps I'll go to the Art Institute one of these days. I'm not much of an art guy, though.

The Field and Science Museums are cool. The Aquarium and Field Museums are next to eachother pretty much. Rush St is fun at night though if you have underage kids then I wouldnt suggest it.

You can go to Wrigleyville and Uptown and there are some small theatre plays, comedy clubs......Second City is in old town, thats where many SNL cast members begin their careers. The couple on the sonic commercials I think are still there working, they are really funny in real life.

Michigan Ave is fun if you wanna spend shit tons of money. The kids would like Nike Town and FAO Schwartz though you better bring your checkbook. Navy Pier is eh IMO. Take them on the Farris Wheel. ESPN Zone is off of Michigan Ave and Superior I wanna say. There's Mike Ditkas resturant downtown which I liked a lot. IF you like Italian I suggest Sopranos right outside Wrigleyville.

Theres a lot to do in Chicago where you really can't do it all in just a couple days. My grandma lives in Uptown and I go there about 2-3 times year. I get fuckin shitfaced in Wrigleyville and Rush St, though Im in my early 20s.

Jewish Rabbi
10-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Wear a shirt that says World Series Wins in the last 100 years: Royals 1, Cubs 0.

Just a thought

Or a shirt that says BWillie007 is a douche.

And that's coming from a Cardinals fan.

Rain Man
10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
You can arrive
on little cat feet.

And sit looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then move on.

Frazod
10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Piss on the Harry Caray statue in front of Wrigley while wearing an Albert Pujols jersey.

They love that. :evil:

BWillie
10-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Or a shirt that says BWillie007 is a douche.

And that's coming from a Cardinals fan.

Albert Poopholes likes rainbows.

Uncle_Ted
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Be sure to check out
http://chicago.metromix.com/

Thig Lyfe
10-07-2008, 11:38 PM
iO

http://chicago.ioimprov.com/

btlook1
10-08-2008, 02:42 AM
If you have deep pockets take the family to Morton's for steak. It's pretty pricey but it's awesome steak!! Order a porterhouse...it's only bout 50 bucks but it's great!

Dartgod
10-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I received some great advice on here about Chicago the first time I visited there.

Gino's East pizza.

Do it.

Fire Me Boy!
10-08-2008, 07:15 AM
House of Blues
Giovanni's Pizza

StcChief
10-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Get the Italian Beef sandwich w/ or wo the sausage for lunch. Portillo's or any place like it.

SAUTO
10-08-2008, 07:27 AM
oooohhhhhhh portillo's

HemiEd
10-08-2008, 07:42 AM

My Scientest daughter, could have spent a month in the Field Museum, ROFL
I had gone through the whole place and she was just past the entrance.

The grandsons still talk about the "blue guy" at Shedd Aquarium. (skuba diver was in the tank doing some maintenance)

They are all great choices IMO.

luv
10-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Ed Debevic's

luv
10-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I'd tour Wrigley Field as well. I'm not a Cubs fan, but I would love to tour that stadium.

dj56dt58
10-08-2008, 08:09 AM
blow up wrigley field while the cubs are cleaning out their lockers

Frazod
10-08-2008, 08:10 AM
blow up wrigley field while the cubs are cleaning out their lockers

That's the spirit! :thumb:

seclark
10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
"And there ain't no road just like it, anywhere I've found.
Running south on Lake Shore Drive heading into town.
And just slipping on by on LSD, Friday night trouble bound."

Hootie
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
meet Frazod at Mongolian BBQ in Naperville...and then give me the details so him and I can share a kiss.

gblowfish
10-08-2008, 09:00 AM
I understand Boy's Town on Halstead Street is interesting people watching....

Frazod
10-08-2008, 09:10 AM
meet Frazod at Mongolian BBQ in Naperville...and then give me the details so him and I can share a kiss.

Don't scare me, Hootie. I'm told you have no weaknesses. :D

StcChief
10-08-2008, 09:13 AM
blow up wrigley field while the cubs are cleaning out their lockers that breaks the curse.... we can't have that, they must continue to play in Wrigley

C-Mac
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Gino's Pizza without fail

Anyong Bluth
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Sneak away and take the Metra to Aurora (only like 30 min or so) and hit up Walter Payton's Roundhouse. It's a brewery / restaurant and literally right next to the train stop. They have a lot of great beers, probably the best variety of excellent beers I've ever had in my life. Their Bourbon Stout and Scotch Ale are amazing and they've won some serious world beer competitions. Foods good, too, and they have a small museum for Walter there.

I know it's a bit out of the way, but I promise it'll be worth it- plus you can buy a growler or two, their not all that expensive.

Check it out: http://www.walterpaytonsroundhouse.com/content/5.html

There is so much to do, but coming in the winter vs the summer is night and day for this city! In the summer time, Chicago is the greatest city in the world.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Gino's East Pizza

Navy Pier is meh, but kids might like it.

Hard to give advice for someone with kids, as all the favorite activities for me are more adult.

Do see U-505 at the MoSI however.

Ozark Dirtbag
10-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Erotic services on Chicago Craigs List will put a smile on your face.