PDA

View Full Version : Football Chiefs Trade Bait?

BIG_DADDY
10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag8Ekl9jMc24DX4b1AO7sRpDubYF?slug=jc-tradebait100808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Handful of Lions considered trade bait
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

Buzz Up Print
Though in-season NFL trades are a rarity, four team executives talked to Yahoo! Sports about players they believe should be dealt prior to the deadline next Tuesday.

The executives agreed that the only teams that should really be cleaning house at this point are the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions and St. Louis Rams. Even though the Houston Texans are 0-4, many observes believe they will rebound and play well. Furthermore, the Texans don’t have many players who should just be dumped, aside from running back Ahman Green.

“And I would only take Green if I was truly desperate,” one of the executive said. “Thank God I’m not in that situation.”

Here’s a list of the top 10 players who should be dealt.

Johnson was limited to 2 yards on 7 carries against the Panthers in Week 5.
(AP Photo/Rick Havner)

1. RB Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs

Comment: “By the time the Chiefs are good again, he’s going to be done. … I don’t understand why they gave him all the money and then they wouldn’t sign Jared Allen. If you’re rebuilding, you don’t do it with a running back who’s going to be burned.” Another executive said Johnson has a reputation around the league as being a “spoiled brat” and “not much of a leader.”

Best potential fits: He’s not a perfect fit in Philadelphia because of the style of the offense, but all of the executives said the Eagles could use him now that Brian Westbrook has broken ribs. Other teams that could use him would be the Denver Broncos, New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints.

2. DE Dewayne White Detroit

Comment: “He isn’t a great player, but he’s a good one and he can help any rotation. Plus, you can move him inside from time to time. He probably won’t get more than five or six sacks, but that’s worth it if you’re the right team.” Said another exec: “Try finding a pass rusher at this point of the year.”

Best potential fits: Just about any team except the New York Giants, Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars.

3. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals

Comment: “He’s going to be a free agent. He’s going to get paid. The Bengals won’t pay him, which is a joke because he’s one of the few guys on that team you could even begin to call a leader.” Said another executive: “He’d be perfect in Indianapolis, but it won’t happen.”

Best potential fits: Bucs, Jags, Dallas Cowboys, Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills.

4. CB Patrick Surtain, Chiefs

Comment: “He’s hurt (shoulder injury) and he has declined, but it’s the same thing as pass rushers; you need cover guys. You can’t get enough of them.”

Best potential fits: Saints, Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers and Baltimore Ravens.

5. CB Brian Kelly, Lions

Comment: “Same as with Surtain, although Kelly has declined more and he has problems in straight man coverage … not a great player anymore, but they’ll get more for him than he’s really worth.”

Best potential fits: Cardinals, Packers, Saints and Ravens.

6. WR Roy Williams, Lions

Comment: “I think he’ll play harder for some other team.”

Best potential fits: Jags, Bucs, Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings.

7. DT Cory Redding, Lions

Comment: “If I’m the Lions, I clean house starting now. I don’t even wait for a new GM. This guy played hard for a contract and hasn’t done anything since. Again, I think it’s more about Detroit than the player, so I’d take a chance … if he’s motivated, he can rush the passer from the inside.”

Best potential fits: Colts, Eagles, Redskins and Broncos.

Will the Bengals part ways with Johnson, right, or Houshmandzadeh?
(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

8. TE Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs

Comment: “He’s a good guy in the locker room and he takes care of himself. Between the leadership and the fact that he might still be really good in two to three years, it would take a lot for me to deal him and I don’t think anybody is going to offer that much.”

Best potential fits: Jags, Bucs, Vikings and Titans.

9. WR Chad Johnson, Bengals

Comment: “I’m amazed how quiet he has been. Maybe that injury is worse than we thought. You know he wants out and he’s the most gifted receiver in the league. But the injury is an issue.”

Best potential fits: Pats, Cowboys, Vikings, Titans and Jags.

10. DE Antwan Odom, Texans

Comment: “They just signed him as a free agent (in the offseason), so I don’t think he’ll be available. But I think they realize he’s overrated. He’s purely a complementary player.”

Best potential fits: Pats, Jags and Colts.

chiefs1111
10-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Larry and Tony aren't going anywhere

Mr. Plow
10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Trade LJ. Anyone but a division rival.

Sure-Oz
10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Surtain, what a waste of a 2nd

Rausch
10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I'd trade Surtain for some good chinese right now. I'm kinda' hungry.

The other two moronic bits of specualtion aren't worth fussing over...

Hootie
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Haha. I'd trade Surtain for a rimjob from a tranny.

evolve27
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Hell, I say trade him to a division rival, it doesn't matter at this point.

DeezNutz
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Hell, I say trade him to a division rival, it doesn't matter at this point.

Exactly. Who gives a ****? When this team is finally good, LJ won't be. For that matter, some might argue he's not very good now.

Rausch
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Boom!

Instant sig!

Fairplay
10-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Trading LJ should be about the equivalent of what we got for Jared Allen last year.

Except whoever we trade him to we get one of their top offensive linemen and their first round pick.

CoMoChief

Who would take him DEN? Doubt it...they dont wanna eat his contract while they can find RB pretty much anywhere. SD has LT and OAK has McFadden and Bush.

BIG_DADDY
Exactly. Who gives a ****? When this team is finally good, LJ won't be. For that matter, some might argue he's not very good now.

1. he doesn't want to be here.
2. He's expensive.
3. He isn't doing anything for us.
4. By the time the team is good which will be after Herm leaves LJ will be toast.

If we can get a good trade take it.

CoMoChief
Trading LJ should be about the equivalent of what we got for Jared Allen last year.

Except whoever we trade him to we get one of their top offensive linemen and their first round pick.

good luck with that.

we might be able to get a 1st and a 5th for LJ

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
How many times do we have to have this discussion?

No one on this roster, aside from the players in their first three years (and only then Bowe, Dorsey, or Albert) has ANY trade value.

OnTheWarpath15
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Who wants to bet that not ONE of those players is actually traded?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
good luck with that.

If you changed that to a 3rd and a 5th, you'd be right.

ChiefsCountry
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Somebody has no clue about the NFL then. Running backs arent worth shit compared to pass rushers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Williams, Redding, and Johnson are all signed to large, cap prohibitive deals, especially Redding (who got an assload from Millen) and LJ.

Fairplay
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Somebody has no clue about the NFL then. Running backs arent worth shit compared to pass rushers.

What is an NFL?

DeezNutz
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
If you changed that to a 3rd and a 5th, you'd be right.

I could care less about Clark's money, since signing LJ wasted a lot of it, so I might seriously consider the above deal. Bump the 3rd to a 2nd or make it a conditional, and I say fuck yes.

DeezNutz
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
But, as many of us have consistently noted, once the big-money deal is signed, the organization has to own the player. He's not going anywhere.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
If the Chiefs could get a conditional 6th for Surtain, I'd say adios.

evolve27
10-08-2008, 12:04 PM
good luck with that.

What's the trade deadline, Week 6 or something like that. If we're rebuilding let see some Charles and K. Smith and get rid of fucking LJ for some late round picks and top OLman. I'm sick of this LJ shit, motherfucker gets a hand on him, can't break a tackle or bounce it out often and wants the line to open like a elevator door so he can get his yards. Fuck him anymore.

Hootie
10-08-2008, 12:05 PM
good luck with that.

if anyone gave us that for LJ...they should be millen'd

DeezNutz
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
if anyone gave us that for LJ...they should be millen'd

Assuming the reports are true, what should happen to the person who TURNED DOWN the offer of a 1st and 3rd?

Or the fans who thought it was the right thing to do?

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
What's the trade deadline, Week 6 or something like that. If we're rebuilding let see some Charles and K. Smith and get rid of fucking LJ for some late round picks and top OLman. I'm sick of this LJ shit, motherfucker gets a hand on him, can't break a tackle or bounce it out often and wants the line to open like a elevator door so he can get his yards. Fuck him anymore.

October 14th is the trading deadline.

New Orleans and Philadelphia would make some sense for LJ but I doubt either would be willing to give up a conditional 3rd.

Which to me is what it would take.

Rausch
10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
If the Chiefs could get a conditional 6th for Surtain, I'd say adios.

If I could get 1 month free Arbys I'd be all for it...

Demonpenz
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I would love for the eagles to get LJ i don't see it happening though. I think LJ on a good team would run hard. It is clear that he won't run in a loosing cause

rambleonthruthefog
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
do it, do it, and do it. but only if your gonna put a new coach in as well.

milkman
10-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Williams, Redding, and Johnson are all signed to large, cap prohibitive deals, especially Redding (who got an assload from Millen) and LJ.

Ordinarily, the deal that LJ signed would be cap prohibitive, but with 30 mil under the cap, I think the Chiefs could absorb the hit.

But I'm with Warpath.

Nobody is going anywhere.

Hootie
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Assuming the reports are true, what should happen to the person who TURNED DOWN the offer of a 1st and 3rd?

Or the fans who thought it was the right thing to do?

It was different when he signed...he was OUR fan favorite...I don't fault Peterson for resigning LJ...I really don't.

Plus, based on the fact he was coming off back to back 1750+ yard seasons...we got him for a discount.

Plus, he's still producing...he doesn't consistently have 100 yards and 2 TD's every week...but the fact he has done anything this year on this retarded team means he's still an effective back.

People overreact and exaggerate his ineffectiveness.

Demonpenz
10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
You know what would be nice? If these vets actually showed some sort of leadership. They could do it behind close doors, but LJ is a vet and he is dogging it more than anyone.

evolve27
10-08-2008, 12:18 PM
You know what would be nice? If these vets actually showed some sort of leadership. They could do it behind close doors, but LJ is a vet and he is dogging it more than anyone.

Exactly. I wish he(LJ) would show some fight when the going gets tough instead of being a pathetic cap space disease.

The Franchise
10-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Package deal.....LJ and Surtain to the Saints. They don't have a 2nd or 5th because of the Shockey deal...I believe. So let's trade both for a 3rd and a conditional 2010 pick.

Demonpenz
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
As a wise man once said. Why should they play hard. there is no play hard clause in their contract

evolve27
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Package deal.....LJ and Surtain to the Saints. They don't have a 2nd or 5th because of the Shockey deal...I believe. So let's trade both for a 3rd and a conditional 2010 pick.

Give me Jamaal Brown! I remember at one point we could have gotten him.

ChiefsCountry
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM

For Dorsey.

The Franchise
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM

I doubt they'd do it...but hell....try it out.

LJ and Surtain for Jamaal Brown. He played RT right?

Albert, Waters, Niswanger, Richardson, Brown

DeezNutz
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
It was different when he signed...he was OUR fan favorite...I don't fault Peterson for resigning LJ...I really don't.

Plus, based on the fact he was coming off back to back 1750+ yard seasons...we got him for a discount.

Plus, he's still producing...he doesn't consistently have 100 yards and 2 TD's every week...but the fact he has done anything this year on this retarded team means he's still an effective back.

People overreact and exaggerate his ineffectiveness.

Your first line is the problem. It shouldn't matter that he was "our" favorite. The organization has to make sound, long-term judgements.

The fact that he was coming off of huge yardage seasons with equally huge numbers of carries should been a red flag. For many of the posters here, it was. Too bad it wasn't for Carl.

OnTheWarpath15
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Ordinarily, the deal that LJ signed would be cap prohibitive, but with 30 mil under the cap, I think the Chiefs could absorb the hit.

But I'm with Warpath.

Nobody is going anywhere.

People get too hung up on the words "trade deadline" IMO.

Most people's first thoughts are of MLB and the NHL. The deadline day is almost like a holiday in those two sports. There are always a ton of moves.

The NFL isn't like that, and never has been like that.

Moves at the trade deadline are rare.

The Franchise
10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
So if we had decided to let LJ hit free agency and resigned Allen. Does the draft go differently? Do you think we would have grabbed a RB in the 1st round this year? Last year?

ChiefsCountry
10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
People get too hung up on the words "trade deadline" IMO.

Most people's first thoughts are of MLB and the NHL. The deadline day is almost like a holiday in those two sports. There are always a ton of moves.

The NFL isn't like that, and never has been like that.

Moves at the trade deadline are rare.

Add NBA in that as well. NFL one player cant make the difference that one player in those sports can.

evolve27
10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I doubt they'd do it...but hell....try it out.

LJ and Surtain for Jamaal Brown. He played RT right?

Albert, Waters, Niswanger, Richardson, Brown

He's their starting LT. Move Albert to RT. Richardson at RG would be golden. Pulling this trigger would be a good forward step for Herm.

Micjones
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Dewayne White would look good in a Chiefs uniform right about now...

Redrum_69
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Trade them both.

LJ needs to start doing Pampers commercials

and Tony, deserves a rin or three with another team. He'll never get one in KC.

It will be at least 5 or 10 years before the Chiefs will see a playoff game, let alone a SUper Bowl.

evolve27
10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
For Dorsey.

We would've traded 1st's right, so we might have landed a DE/Ellis.

RedThat
10-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I'd trade LJ. I still think he has some trade value. but the question is, who would trade for him? Most teams in the NFL have RB's. Or usually use 2 RB's.

You definately don't trade him to the Broncos thats for sure. Problem is, he has a fat contract, and is at thirty years of age. If he has a decent year this year, the Chiefs should consider trading him.

Tony G I'd keep. He is prolly one of the fewest guys on the team that has a decent attitude and cares. Well, maybe I'd trade him too? I think for sure the Chiefs would get a 2nd rder for him. No good players deserve to be on this perrenial loser of a team. Not until Clark fires this current management regime and hires people who are "right" and "capable."

What can we get for Surtain? I don't think he has trade value at this point in his career? Better off just cutting him.

milkman
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd trade LJ. I still think he has some trade value. but the question is, who would trade for him? Most teams in the NFL have RB's. Or usually use 2 RB's.

You definately don't trade him to the Broncos thats for sure. Problem is, he has a fat contract, and is at thirty years of age. If he has a decent year this year, the Chiefs should consider trading him.

Tony G I'd keep. He is prolly one of the fewest guys on the team that has a decent attitude and cares. Well, maybe I'd trade him too? I think for sure the Chiefs would get a 2nd rder for him. No good players deserve to be on this perrenial loser of a team. Not until Clark fires this current management regime and hires people who are "right" and "capable."

What can we get for Surtain? I don't think he has trade value at this point in his career? Better off just cutting him.

There's no way in hell I'd give a 2nd for Tony.

DeezNutz
10-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Above all else, we definitely shouldn't trade LJ to a division rival.

We might be 0-5 instead of 1-4.

Fairplay
10-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I would love for the eagles to get LJ i don't see it happening though. I think LJ on a good team would run hard. It is clear that he won't run in a loosing cause

100 percent agree with you. He is with a team that he knows won't get anywhere. I blame the coaching staff mainly for that fact.

Why would you want to give it all when the coaches act like they don't want to really win games.

That is how i viewed Randy moss when he was with the Raiders.

milkman
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
100 percent agree with you. He is with a team that he knows won't get anywhere. I blame the coaching staff mainly for that fact.

Why would you want to give it all when the coaches act like they don't want to really win games.

That is how i viewed Randy moss when he was with the Raiders.

Guys that don't at least play for pride, who don't give maximum effort on every play are pussies, and I can't stand it that they are a part of my team.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I wonder if the lions would go for a package deal, LJ, Herm and Carl for Roy Williams and (2) 7th round picks.

El Pendejo
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

You don't have to worry about that. The Donks wouldn't take on that contract...especially for an aging running back on the downside of his career. They also tried to rid their locker room of prima donnas after last season. They're also in the midst of a youth movement.

As far as getting a first, a third, or a second round pick (or a package involving any thereof)...for Johnson or Gonzalez. That's not going to happen...unless some gm all hopped up on some nastily glorious cheap whiskey...has a vendetta against his own team. It's silly talk.

OnTheWarpath15
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
There's no way in hell I'd give a 2nd for Tony.

There's the other problem with these discussions.

Fans tend to ridiculously overvalue players on the home team.

The Franchise
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Gonzales is maybe worth a 4th........a conditional 4th at that.

OnTheWarpath15
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Gonzales is maybe worth a 4th........a conditional 4th at that.

This guy gets it.

Spicy McHaggis
10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag8Ekl9jMc24DX4b1AO7sRpDubYF?slug=jc-tradebait100808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Handful of Lions considered trade bait
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

10. DE Antwan Odom, Texans

Comment: “They just signed him as a free agent (in the offseason), so I don’t think he’ll be available. But I think they realize he’s overrated. He’s purely a complementary player.”

Best potential fits: Pats, Jags and Colts.

Odom was signed by the Bengals, not the Texans.

Bowser
10-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Boom!

Instant sig!

LMAO

Bowser
10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
And really, they should move the deadline back to like week 12, if they really want teams to seriously think about player trades in season.

KCinNY
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
If they got a 2nd for LJ it would be a steal.

Addition by subtraction.

Logical
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
JMO but Tony G, LJ and Brian Waters probably are the trade bait. For the right draft picks I would not mind seeing all three traded. Tony G deserves a shot at the Giants for the possible Superbowl.

CrazyHorse
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Trade LJ for Houshmanzadeh straight up.

old_geezer
10-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I wonder if the lions would go for a package deal, LJ, Herm and Carl for Roy Williams and (2) 7th round picks.

For us to get anyone to take LJ, Herm, and Carl off our hands we would have to give them our entire draft for the next 5 years.

StcChief
10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
[quote=Article writer]
1. RB Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs

Comment: “By the time the Chiefs are good again, he’s going to be done. … I don’t understand why they gave him all the money and then they wouldn’t sign Jared Allen. If you’re rebuilding, you don’t do it with a running back who’s going to be burned.” Another executive said Johnson has a reputation around the league as being a “spoiled brat” and “not much of a leader.”

Best potential fits: He’s not a perfect fit in Philadelphia because of the style of the offense, but all of the executives said the Eagles could use him now that Brian Westbrook has broken ribs. Other teams that could use him would be the Denver Broncos, New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints.[/guote]

that seems like a really decent fit, get's LJ where he wanted to be anyway... Left coast team.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2008, 08:59 PM
My guess: None of these trades happen.

When was the last blockbuster Mid October NFL trade?

Hershel Walker to the Vikings?

Eric Dickerson to the Colts??

milkman
10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
My guess: None of these trades happen.

When was the last blockbuster Mid October NFL trade?

Hershel Walker to the Vikings?

Eric Dickerson to the Colts??

Bam Morris to the Cheifs.

ChiefsCountry
10-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Wayne Simmons to the Chiefs.

chiefs1111
10-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Bam Morris to the Cheifs.

Yup,all Chiefs remember where they were when that one happened

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM

I think I was taking a dump.

How ironic.

Reerun_KC
10-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Ah the beginning of the end of the Martha mediocrity era... Bones, Thugs and Martha.....

Good times that was... Monday Night Meltdown anyone?