PDA

View Full Version : Football Chargers just barely avoid blackout

10-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2008, 2:57 p.m. EDT

It’s arguably the biggest game of the week: Patriots at Chargers. Fortunately, the folks in San Diego who choose not to attend in person will still be able to watch the game on television.

The Chargers have announced that a blackout has been avoided for a game in which the selling of every ticket really shouldn’t have been an issue.

It’s the freaking rematch of last year’s AFC title game.

With the team’s lease at Qualcomm Stadium expiring after the season, a move to L.A. is becoming a stronger possibility, in our view.

Meanwhile, San Diego’s next home game (after hosting the Pats) will be on November 9 against the woeful Chiefs. The local CBS affiliate would be wise to begin planning alternative programming for that afternoon.

That's pathetic (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/08/chargers-avoid-blackout/)

Skip Towne
10-09-2008, 07:06 AM
The Chargers are back down to two fans.

Mr. Plow
10-09-2008, 07:24 AM
The Chargers are back down to two fans.

And one of those just follows what the other one does.

Goapics1
10-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Meanwhile, San Diego’s next home game (after hosting the Pats) will be on November 9 against the woeful Chiefs.

Inspiring.

Donger
10-09-2008, 07:34 AM
It really isn't fair having a team in such a fun city.

RockChalk
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I was at the game a few years ago when Priest got hurt. I'd say it was 75% full for a mid-season division game. I'd say 10% had Chiefs jerseys on, 10% had Raiders jerseys on, and the remaining were "Chargers" fans. I grew up going to Chiefs games at Arrowhead, so I was shocked to see such an apathetic fan base, especially for a division rival.

I asked my buddy why it was so empty and didn't have much pulse and he responded that people would rather spend a nice day at the beach than go to a Chargers game.

Goapics1
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
It really isn't fair having a team in such a fun city.

I agree, Miami is same way.

Deberg_1990
10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I asked my buddy why it was so empty and didn't have much pulse and he responded that people would rather spend a nice day at the beach than go to a Chargers game.

Thats kind of been the knock on SoCal teams for a long time.

People out there are from everywhere else originally (loyalties are with other teams) and they would rather be doing other things.

Ozark Dirtbag
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Qualcomm is a dump. I don't blame fans for not wanting to buy the nose bleed seats on the east end of the stadium. I would rather stay home and watch.

Reerun_KC
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Dont worry guys, we will totally pwn them on blackouts this year...

talastan
10-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Wow, the AFC WEST, the greate....I mean lousiest division in the NFL. :rolleyes:

Reerun_KC
10-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow, the AFC WEST, the greate....I mean lousiest division in the NFL. :rolleyes:

well considering there is only one coach in the AFC West worth a shit...

What did you expect?

TinyEvel
10-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Yay! Maybe I can get good seats to the CHiefs/Chargers this year for teh cheep!!!

Long Duk Dong
10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Bandwagon fans... :clap:

L.A. Chieffan
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
They better start winning, I don't want SD's garbage.

highBOLTage
10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
They are all single and/or terrible seats. They had asked for a 24 hour extension in every previous game including the opener. I think this is the first one they didnt need the local channel to buy those 500 or so seats.

KCrockaholic
10-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I was at the game a few years ago when Priest got hurt. I'd say it was 75% full for a mid-season division game. I'd say 10% had Chiefs jerseys on, 10% had Raiders jerseys on, and the remaining were "Chargers" fans. I grew up going to Chiefs games at Arrowhead, so I was shocked to see such an apathetic fan base, especially for a division rival.

Well most people from SD werent born and raised in SD, they are usually retired people, or transplants. I guess thats why KC has such a good fan base...who would move to KC after retiring? all the KC fans are usually born and raised their.

KCrockaholic
10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
AFC WEST really is the worst division...just think, Denver should actually be 2-3 right now..with those cheap blown calls vs SD and New Orleans

Buck
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Why the fuck is this front page news on CP everytime it happens?

This shit has been happening in SD the past 5 years, get over it.

kcxiv
10-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Why the **** is this front page news on CP everytime it happens?

This shit has been happening in SD the past 5 years, get over it.

Us Chief fans do anything to make ourselves feel better in regards to football. lol

10-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Why the **** is this front page news on CP everytime it happens?

Because it's important. and do you know why? because I said so :evil:

StcChief
10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Yay! Maybe I can get good seats to the CHiefs/Chargers this year for teh cheep!!! much like Chiefs... just show up outside on game day.

El Pendejo
10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
AFC WEST really is the worst division...just think, Denver should actually be 2-3 right now..with those cheap blown calls vs SD and New Orleans

But they're not. They're 4-1. That's not relevant to the thread anyway.

The economy here in SD isn't the greatest. Tickets are expensive, and the stadium is a dump. Someone already pointed out that the tickets left are either singles or shitty.

SD isn't a good sports town. Although the Madres do draw pretty well.

Buck
10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
But they're not. They're 4-1. That's not relevant to the thread anyway.

The economy here in SD isn't the greatest. Tickets are expensive, and the stadium is a dump. Someone already pointed out that the tickets left are either singles or shitty.

SD isn't a good sports town. Although the Madres do draw pretty well.

Yeah the economy f'ing sucks.

My best friend, who I got a job for at my office got laid off yesterday. We've gone from 27 workers to 13 in a matter of 2 months.