PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Giving up soda

luv
10-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Anyone who knows me knows of my attachment to Dr Pepper. As of 12AM this Sunday, I'm giving it up. Wish me luck!

Rain Man
10-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Dr. Pepper is like crack for me. I'll watch this with interest to see if you survive.

KCFalcon59
10-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Good for you. Pop/Soda is one of the worst things you can consume.

Saulbadguy
10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Quitting: Why? Calories? Caffeine? Teeth? All 3 reasons?

Saulbadguy
10-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Good for you. Pop/Soda is one of the worst things you can consume.

I disagree. I think Drano or Antifreeze may be worst.

Deberg_1990
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Why dont you just switch to diet soda Luv?

I switched about a year ago. Takes a little while to get used to, but after awhile you get accustomed to the taste.

Saulbadguy
10-09-2008, 07:54 PM

I switched about a year ago. Takes a little while to get used to, but after awhile you get accustomed to the taste.

I try to only drink soda on occasion because all of it is bad for your teeth. I prefer diet soda whenever I do drink soda though.

Skip Towne
10-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Battery acid would be worse also.

Hammock Parties
I gave it up in March. It's bad news. Forget the calories and the sugar. Caffeine is terrible for your body. In fact, it inhibits weight loss.

luv
Quitting: Why? Calories? Caffeine? Teeth? All 3 reasons?

Calories and teeth. I would just switch to diet, but it's still not good on my teeth.

Spott
10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I stopped drinking pop for quite a while, but I still have one every now and then. Now I drink a lot of sweet tea instead, although it may not be much better either.

luv
10-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Dr. Pepper is like crack for me. I'll watch this with interest to see if you survive.

Same here. People need their morning coffee? I need my morning Dr Pepper. Ask Bugeater what the first thing I asked for was on the Sunday morning of the bash.

luv
10-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I stopped drinking pop for quite a while, but I still have one every now and then. Now I drink a lot of sweet tea instead, although it may not be much better either.

What's this "pop" you speak of? :p

I would think that tea still gives you the caffeine, staining of teeth, and the sugar you add.

Saulbadguy
Battery acid would be worse also.

Battery acid may be bad to drink I suppose, but if you drank some Dr Pepper afterwards it would neutralize it.

Saulbadguy
What's this "pop" you speak of? :p

I would think that tea still gives you the caffeine, staining of teeth, and the sugar you add.

Tea or coffee would not be near as bad IMO due to the acids in soda. At least that is what my dentist told me.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Give up all sources of caffeine.

Nine obese men were taken through a set diet and exercise regime lasting 12 weeks in which they avoided caffeine. The men were given glucose tolerance tests by mouth, which were compared to the same tests taken before the men underwent the study. As a result of the intervention, the men lost weight and their body fat ratio's decreased. The results of comparing the before and after glucose tolerance tests suggests that caffeine lowers insulin sensitivity which causes cells to take up much less glucose and thereby increasing blood-glucose levels. This results of this study are consistent with theories that caffeine ingestion increases insulin resistance.

Deberg_1990
Everyone i have ever known who drinks Mountain Dew has bad teeth.

luv
Tea or coffee would not be near as bad IMO due to the acids in soda. At least that is what my dentist told me.

Nothing to worry about here. I don't care for coffee nor tea.

kcxiv
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I havent had a Mountain Dew or any caffinated soda's in over 8 years. It was tough at first, but after this long, meh.

I do dabble in my tropicana pink lemonade once in a while.

10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Drink water. it's much better for you.

Oh, good luck :evil:

luv
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I havent had a Mountain Dew or any caffinated soda's in over 8 years. It was tough at first, but after this long, meh.

I do dabble in my tropicana pink lemonade once in a while.

I'll be purchasing a lot of Crystal Light.

10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
This stuff is great, it kicks ass

http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2008/141/23/1211342734-41969_full.jpg

Phobia
10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I reached 260 lbs drinking Dr. Pepper when I first left the USMC. Quitting that stuff dropped 1000 calories a day from my diet. Good decision.

MTG#10
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Diet soda isnt any better for you than regular. I have been off the coca-cola for about 5 months now. Every once in awhile I'll try to "cheat" but I can only tolerate about half a can before dumping the rest down the drain.

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I had the same issue. I stopped about a month ago. It wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. Gas stations have become less of a grocery store to me now.

Rain Man
10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I reached 260 lbs drinking Dr. Pepper when I first left the USMC. Quitting that stuff dropped 1000 calories a day from my diet. Good decision.

I'm not sure that luv is breaking into Taco Bells and holding her mouth under the spigot.

Rain Man
10-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Everyone i have ever known who drinks Mountain Dew has bad teeth.

Just to complete the experiment, does everyone you know have bad teeth?

rocks
10-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Good Luck, I stopped drinking the soda (Dew) in 2002. It was really hard. I had a freakn headache for a week. But I think I'm better off for it. You can do it!

Demonpenz
10-09-2008, 08:17 PM
i stopped drinking pop because it was costing me like a 1:60 a day. I can buy a 22 of natty light for that

luv
I'm not sure that luv is breaking into Taco Bells and holding her mouth under the spigot.

I usually drink a 20 oz bottle while at work, and two 12 oz cans at home of an evening.

KCFalcon59

Well, Ok. :eek:

Dayze
10-09-2008, 08:18 PM

ROFL

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Good Luck, I stopped drinking the soda (Dew) in 2002. It was really hard. I had a freakn headache for a week. But I think I'm better off for it. You can do it!

That might be what these headaches I've had over the last month have been....

KcMizzou
10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Hit up the iced tea.

I think I could give up "pop" altogether and just drink iced tea.

Fairplay
10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Same here. People need their morning coffee? I need my morning Dr Pepper. Ask Bugeater what the first thing I asked for was on the Sunday morning while in the bath tub.

:eek:...:eek:...

luv
10-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Hit up the iced tea.

I think I could give up "pop" altogether and just drink iced tea.

I grew up with my dad always having a jar of tea sunning in a window or on the porch. They say your tastes change every few years. I try it every once in awhile, but I've yet to like it. Weird, I know.

ferrarispider95
10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
I live on Red Bull, Mountain Dew, and Bud Light.

KcMizzou
10-09-2008, 08:27 PM
I grew up with my dad always having a jar of tea sunning in a window or on the porch. They say your tastes change every few years. I try it every once in awhile, but I've yet to like it. Weird, I know.My grandparents used to drink it out of mason jars. Nothing's much better then real sun tea.

I don't drink it as much as I'd like to. Every time I do it tastes great though. I get tired of carbonation every now and then.

bishop_74
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Good luck! SOdas are terrible for you. It's funny. I used to drink a LOT of soda and then switch to diet. Within 2 weeks I lost 10-15 lbs. I hardly ever drink soda now.

luv
10-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Good luck! SOdas are terrible for you. It's funny. I used to drink a LOT of soda and then switch to diet. Within 2 weeks I lost 10-15 lbs. I hardly ever drink soda now.

I'm limited in how much I can exercise with my back, so sacrifices are being made.

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I think I'm going to get a 24oz bottle of Dr. Pepper out of my fridge and drink it in your honor.

luv
10-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I think I'm going to get a 24oz bottle of Dr. Pepper out of my fridge and drink it in your honor.

I'm drinking it through Saturday. Still have a can left in the fridge.

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm drinking it through Saturday. Still have a can left in the fridge.I should probably quit drinking it also but I tried diet Dr. Pepper and no matter what people say I think it tastes like crap.

KcMizzou
10-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I should probably quit drinking it also but I tried diet Dr. Pepper and no matter what people say I think it tastes like crap.I'm a Diet Pepsi guy, and everybody keeps telling me diet soda's even worse for you.

Shag
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I usually drink a 20 oz bottle while at work, and two 12 oz cans at home of an evening.

That's not a "crack" addiction. I drink at least two 20oz diet cokes at work every day, and then 3-5 cans at night. Plus a couple beers. Liquids are a problem for me... :)

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm a Diet Pepsi guy, and everybody keeps telling me diet soda's even worse for you.

It is. And even if by the off chance it isn't, it's entirely misleading to see it as diet.

Buck
10-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Good Luck Luv.

luv
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I should probably quit drinking it also but I tried diet Dr. Pepper and no matter what people say I think it tastes like crap.

If I was going to switch to diet soda, Diet Dr Pepper is the only one I can stand.

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
If I was going to switch to diet soda, Diet Dr Pepper is the only one I can stand.Maybe I should try it out again.

Long Duk Dong
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Anyone who knows me knows of my attachment to Dr Pepper. As of 12AM this Sunday, I'm giving it up. Wish me luck!

why?

irishjayhawk
If I was going to switch to diet soda, Diet Dr Pepper is the only one I can stand.

Maybe I should try it out again.

Don't, it's awful. Disgusting. Worst thing on the planet.

KcMizzou
Maybe I should try it out again.It's pretty damned good. (This from a Diet Pepsi guy)

Even if it'll kill ya just as fast.

KcMizzou
10-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Don't, it's awful. Disgusting. Worst thing on the planet.LMAO

BigRock
10-09-2008, 09:13 PM
You know what's good? You get a plastic gallon jug and you get one of those water filters for your faucet... I've had good luck with the Paragon brand (http://www.paragonwater.com/Par.html). Their maintenance free ones are nice.

Then every night, fill up the gallon with filtered water, put it in the fridge, and the next morning you have cold crisp delicious water wating for you.

YOUR BODY WILL THANK YOU

luv
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe I should try it out again.

Eh, that's if I was switching to diet soda. I'm not. Bottled water to take to work, and lots of varieties of Crystal Light.

Hammock Parties
You know what's good? You get a plastic gallon jug and you get one of those water filters for your faucet... I've had good luck with the Paragon brand (http://www.paragonwater.com/Par.html). Their maintenance free ones are nice.

Then every night, fill up the gallon with filtered water, put it in the fridge, and the next morning you have cold crisp delicious water wating for you.

YOUR BODY WILL THANK YOU

I use a brita filter and jug. I have a tank in the fridge that I fill up.

All I drink these days is water, skim milk and real juice.

Chiefspants
Gave up pop 3 years ago because of 7th grade football, if you were caught with one you had to do 200 yards of updowns...and through the course of that season I lost 16 pounds and felt great about myself, I never picked a pop back up again, and yes, Dr Pepper was also my favorite.

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 09:17 PM
It's pretty damned good. (This from a Diet Pepsi guy)

Even if it'll kill ya just as fast.Why would it kill you just as fast with no sugar in it?

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Yep. Brita, ftw.

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Gave up pop 3 years ago because of 7th grade football, if you were caught with one you had to do 200 yards of updowns...and through the course of that season I lost 16 pounds and felt great about myself, I never picked a pop back up again, and yes, Dr Pepper was also my favorite.Nice pants!

luv
10-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Juice is where I'll get my calories.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Then don't buy juice. It's pretty simple.

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Simply Apple/Orange.

Not too many calories, if I recall correctly. And it's the best. Bar none.

Buck
10-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you tried Coca Cola Zero?

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Simply Apple/Orange.

Not too many calories, if I recall correctly. And it's the best. Bar none.I tried Simply Orange and now I spend $15 a week buying the stuff. It is great, I drink it so that I will drink less DP.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Simply Lemonade is also good, but it's way too sweet. I dilute it with about 60 percent water and it's awesome. Lasts longer, too.

Fish
10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Very good for you luv... Soda is terrible for you, and the Diet is worse...

Fish
10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
8 Ways Soda Fizzles Your Health <!-- m -->http://www.waterforlifeusa.com/blog/unc ... ur-health/ (http://www.waterforlifeusa.com/blog/uncategorized/8-ways-soda-fizzles-your-health/)<!-- m -->

We would wager money that many of you are “doing the dew” or “doing what tastes right” this very moment. Before you take another gulp from your soft drink can, here are 8 facts about soda to consider that may drastically affect the quality of your health.

pH of Soda = pH of Vinegar
For one, soda, no matter who makes it, is the most acidic beverage you can buy, with a pH of about 2.5, about the same as vinegar. Why does that matter? Acid oxidizes whatever it comes in contact with. If you put soda or vinegar on metal, it will rust it quickly. Check out this table of acid levels of your favorite sodas. <!-- m -->http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/diet_soda.htm<!-- m -->

Drink Soda, Leach Calcium
If you drink soda, which also contains high levels of phosphorous, you will leach calcium from your bones. Dr. Michael Murray from the Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine concluded, “It appears that increased soft drink consumption is a major factor that contributes to osteoporosis.” Furthermore, Dr. Elson Haas, author of The Detox Diet states, “Tooth loss, periodontal disease, and gingivitis can be problems, especially with a high phosphorus intake, particularly from soft drinks.”

Soda Will Dissolve your Tooth Enamel
Weak bones is just the beginning. According to Dr. James Howenstein. author of A Physician’s Guide to Natural Health Products That Work, the high sugar content of soda is awful. He states, “”In an interesting experiment the sugar from one soft drink was able to damage the white blood cells’ ability to ingest and kill bacteria for seven hours.” Dr. Marion Nestle from his book Food Politics states, “Sugar and acid in soft drinks so easily dissolve tooth enamel.”

Each Additional Soda Increases Risk for Obesity by 1.6 times
So now we’ve got weak bones, weakened immune system, and dissolving teeth. What’s next? Weight gain! Dr. Nestle also concluded, “The relationship between soft drink consumption and body weight is so strong that researchers calculate that for each additional soda consumed, the risk of obesity increases 1.6 times.”

Children Who Drink Soda Break Bones More Easily
Our children aren’t safe, either. Dr. Nestle states, “Adolescents who consume soft drinks display a risk of bone fractures three to four-fold higher than those who do not.” Dr. William Duffy from the Naval Research Institute states, “The high sugar hides the acid. Children little realize they are drinking this strange mixture of phosphoric acid, sugar, caffeine, coloring, and flavoring matter.” Greg Critser from his book Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World states: “A joint study by Harvard University and Boston Children’s Hospital researchers in February 2001 concluded that such excess liquid calories inhibited the ability of older children to compensate at mealtime, leading to caloric imbalance and, in time, obesity.”

Diet Soda Isn’t Any Better
For those of you with a diet soda in your hands, the news isn’t any better, in fact it’s worse! Carol Simontacchi from her book The Crazy Makers: How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children states, “One liter of an aspartame-sweetened beverage can produce about fifty-six milligrams of methanol. When several of these beverages are consumed in a short period of time (one day, perhaps), as much as two hundred fifty milligrams of methanol are dumped into the bloodstream, or thirty-two times the EPA limit.” So, you’re poisoning your body, too.

And when it comes to saccharin, which is a noncaloric petroleum derivative estimated to be three hundred to five hundred times sweeter than sugar: “More than a dozen animal tests over the last thirty years have demonstrated the carcinogenic effects of saccharin in the bladder and other sites, particularly female reproductive organs, and in some instances at doses as low as the equivalent of one to two bottles of diet pop daily.”

With diet soda, you’ve gone from high calories to poisonous levels of methanal and an increased chance of developing cancer. Not a very good trade.

Could Caffeine Jeopardize the Human Race?
Then there’s the caffeine. Jean Carper from her book Food: Your Miracle Medicine : How Food Can Prevent and Cure over 100 Symptoms and Problems states, “tests at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine by Roland R. Griffiths, MD, show caffeine withdrawal can strike people who drink a single cup of strongly brewed coffee or drink caffeinated soft drinks everyday. Further, Dr. Griffiths discovered that caffeine-withdrawal symptoms include not only headache, but also fatigue, mild depression, muscle pain and stiffness, flu-like feelings, nausea and vomiting. And for women: “Those consuming at least one cup of a caffeine-containing beverage per day, such as coffee, tea or soft drinks, were more prone to PMS. And the more caffeine they consumed, the more severe their PMS symptoms.”

Caffeine causes withdrawal with symptoms mimicking a flu and for women it makes PMS even worse. But could caffeine really jeopardize the future of the human race? Yes! “A study on the relationship between caffeine and fertility found that… just one caffeinated soft drink per day was associated with a reduced monthly chance of conception of 50 percent.”

If All That Wasn’t Enough Watch Out for a Asthma and a Rash
And finally there’s the preservative used in soda. Dr. Marcia Zimmerman, author of The A.D.D. Nutrition Solution : A Drug-Free 30 Day Plan states, “Sodium benzoate Sodium benzoate is used as a preservative (microbial control) in foods, including soft drinks, fruit juices, margarine, confections, pickles, and jams. Sodium preservatives add sodium to the diet and reduce the availability of potassium. Some reported reactions to sodium benzoate include recurring urticaria (rash), asthma, and eczema.”

Still Drinking that Soda…..?
Hard to believe that so much mayhem can come from a little can or bottle, but there is absolutely nothing good or redeemable about soda. The sooner you can remove it from your diet, the better. If the FDA were doing its job, it wouldn’t be allowed on the market. If you care about your health and the quality of your life, put the Mountain Dew down!

Fish
10-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Seriously.... nasty....

Getting high on a can of Coke.

So why does a can of Coke make you feel so gooood?

They took the cocaine out almost a hundred years ago.

You know why? It was redundant:

First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours and you'll be grabbing for the next Coke.

http://www.brandweeknrx.com/2007/09/getting-high-on.html

ArrowheadHawk
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Seriously.... nasty....

Getting high on a can of Coke.

So why does a can of Coke make you feel so gooood?

They took the cocaine out almost a hundred years ago.

You know why? It was redundant:

First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours and you'll be grabbing for the next Coke.

http://www.brandweeknrx.com/2007/09/getting-high-on.htmlSweet. :clap:

TrickyNicky
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I just quit Dr. Pepper Monday (noticing a pattern here...) and I've been doing good only having one Diet Coke in the morning and water the rest of the day. I'm assuming its caffeine withdrawal that brought on the headaches late in the day but nothing bad recently. I miss the energy boost drinking pop all day gives, but my teeth are throwing in the towel and I can't afford replacements.

luv
10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Then don't buy juice. It's pretty simple.

I love juice, and it's good for me in other ways. It will satisfy my sweet tooth.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I love juice, and it's good for me in other ways. It will satisfy my sweet tooth.

Buy the right juice, then. Don't buy fucking Hawaiian Punch.

Fish
10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I apologize for the flood of posts, but I have strong feelings on this. I really think this is important.

If you're still curious.... watch this interesting video called Sweet Misery and see what you think...

It's about the FDA and it's approval of Aspartame... It's long, but it will make you think twice about soda....

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-usbGZez40&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

keg in kc
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't drink it much, but when work was at its worst, I drank a 12-pack of cherry vanilla over about two weeks.

It had a noticable impact on my body, I started sweating more, craving junk food, just bad all around.

And now after not eating fast food for the entire month of September, I'm going to have to wean myself off the shit again, because I haven't eaten much else in October. Soda and fast food are the same for me: I can't take in either one in moderation.

luv
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Buy the right juice, then. Don't buy fucking Hawaiian Punch.

I don't consider Hawaiian Punch juice.

Buck
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Diet sodas just trick your body into eating more, since you aren't getting the caloric intake from the actual HFCS-laden beverage.

My wife drinks probably 2 cokes a day, sometimes 3. I may take one drink out of a can every week or so, but that's all I can tolerate.

Other than beer, the only thing I really drink is water, Propel, or G2.

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
My family informed me the other day that they have seen PSA-like commercials IN FAVOR of HFCS.

I hope no one actually buys it.

10-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Soda? What? Are you from Wisconsin or something?

KCrockaholic
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Energy drinks are my little purple pill so to speak. I LOVE Monster! ..i realize ill have to give it up, or lighten it up sometime soon, but im still only 160lbs right now...still young, so ill take advantage while i can

good luck BTW, luv

luv
10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Soda? What? Are you from Wisconsin or something?

I think I said pop growing up. My mom grew up in the Moberly/Macon area of Missouri (about 30 minutes north of Columbia). She says pop all the time. I don't know where I picked up on saying soda, but saying pop just sounds funny to me now.

DaKCMan AP
10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
I gave up soda about 6-7 years ago. I don't regret it a single day.

JuicesFlowing
10-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Calories and teeth. I would just switch to diet, but it's still not good on my teeth.

I drink way too much pop, and every six months when I go to the dentist I am cavity free. I did give up pop for a month once ... it's probably one of the easier things to give up, honestly. The one thing that will get you is pizza. You cannot drink anything besides pop with pizza, it's just not right!!!

Hammock Parties
10-10-2008, 12:29 AM
You cannot drink anything besides pop with pizza, it's just not right!!!

Milk and pizza FTW.

SPATCH
10-10-2008, 12:39 AM
WHAT THE **** IS JUICE?

gimme some of that purple stuff

JuicesFlowing
10-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Damn. After going back and reading all of the posts by KC Fish, maybe I'll give up pop, too.

POND_OF_RED
10-10-2008, 12:42 AM
"They say Diet Dr. Pepper tastes just like regular Dr. Pepper......WELL THEN THEY FUCKED UP!!!"

"Mr Pibb is the replica of Dr. Pepper but it's the bullshit replica because dude didn't even get his degree."

RIP Mitch Hedberg you funny, funny man.

BWillie
10-10-2008, 12:43 AM
How can you not stop drinking soda? Just quit buying them. It's not like it tastes good anyway. I'd much rather drink water than soda any day. My only weakness is energy drinks. Those things have crack in them I am convinced. Why else would I buy something that is 2 oz and 4 dollars. I don't know what the deal is

Mecca
10-10-2008, 12:44 AM
I love soda........I'd rather drink soda than beer.

Taco John
10-10-2008, 12:45 AM
A tip on giving up soda pop...

At some point in time, you are going to be tempted to just go for it and have one. After not having tasted it in so long, you'll notice that it wasn't particularly tasty or even satisfying. STOP THERE. If you go back to the well after that one, everything you've accomplished will come crashing down, and you'll be back in soda pop land in no time.

JuicesFlowing
10-10-2008, 12:45 AM
I have read that Gatorade is even worse for teeth than pop is ... just a note.

SPATCH
10-10-2008, 12:46 AM
i can't stand energy drinks... i feel like my heart is going to explode whenver i drink them

Mecca
10-10-2008, 12:47 AM

Yuo should really only drink that stuff if you're actually sweating since it has salt and electrolytes in it, it's really not good for you to just drink as a drink.

10-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I think I said pop growing up. My mom grew up in the Moberly/Macon area of Missouri (about 30 minutes north of Columbia). She says pop all the time. I don't know where I picked up on saying soda, but saying pop just sounds funny to me now.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXgsa9j81Ng&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXgsa9j81Ng&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BWillie
10-10-2008, 12:49 AM

I doubt it. Pop has twice as much sugar, and Gatorade/Powerade has low cal options. Plus pop is much more carbonated than Gatorade. Soda is hands down one of the worst things you can possibly drink. Unless you put donuts, fries, and hydrogenated soybean oil in a blender and drank it, I think it pretty much takes the cake.

Mecca
10-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I doubt it. Pop has twice as much sugar, and Gatorade/Powerade has low cal options. Plus pop is much more carbonated than Gatorade. Soda is hands down one of the worst things you can possibly drink. Unless you put donuts, fries, and hydrogenated soybean oil in a blender and drank it, I think it pretty much takes the cake.

Well unless you drink to alcoholic levels.

JuicesFlowing
10-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I think the hardest thing is caffeine withdrawal. I tried giving up coffee last year. That plan lasted about 4 days after experiencing flu-like symptoms. I just couldn't take it anymore.

BWillie
10-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Well unless you drink to alcoholic levels.

I honestly think that instead of drinking 4 cans of regular coke a day, if you switched it to Michelob Ultra or Miller Lite you would be a more healthy human being. Not by much, but I think just a little bit.

Frazod
10-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Well, I don't drink all that much soda, and I made the switch to diet years ago. Apparently I'm a giant methanol depository now. Darn.

I used to drink a two liter bottle of regular Mountain Dew a day. That was probably a bad thing. Now I drink no more than two cans of diet pop per day (generally Diet Pepsi Max). I hit the coffee pretty hard in the morning, too.

You can have my caffeine when you take it from my cold, dead, yet still twitching fingers.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Caffeine is preventing your liver from being a fat-burning machine, frazod.

Frazod
10-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Caffeine is preventing your liver from being a fat-burning machine, frazod.

It also prevents me from being a mass fucking murderer. :mad:

Saulbadguy
10-10-2008, 04:42 AM
It also prevents me from being a mass fucking murderer. :mad:

Good point.

Pushead2
10-10-2008, 05:39 AM
I just gave up soda since I have been having my panic attacks since caffeine can be a leading cause of them...I drank a ton of soda everyday and now I am paying the price with these awful panic attacks....

Goapics1
10-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Teeth?
She doesn't have any.

Katipan
10-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Soda wasn't that hard for me to give up. At least not after the first week of misery.

Jager would be a struggle.

luv
10-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Soda wasn't that hard for me to give up. At least not after the first week of misery.

Jager would be a struggle.

Red Bull isn't considered soda, is it? No way I'm giving up Jager Bombs.

Katipan
10-10-2008, 07:10 AM

They've gotta be the absolute most fattening popular drink around right now. I always gain weight when I work in a bar. Lard must be one of the 56 ingredients.

But its such a yummy happy drink. Ambrosia like.

Good luck Luv. Once you wean yourself off, it'll always taste funny/icky to you. Course, Diet Dr. Pepper really does taste like regular...

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 07:34 AM

Try giving up alcohol, that will help more and yes red bull is bad

luv
10-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Try giving up alcohol, that will help more and yes red bull is bad

I don't drink alcohol often enough for it to do that much harm.

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't drink alcohol often enough for it to do that much harm.

Let me guess once a weekend? Shots are killers and Red Bull is bad bad bad!

luv
10-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Let me guess once a weekend? Shots are killers and Red Bull is bad bad bad!

I maybe have one beer a week. Hard liquor is typically saved for when I go out. Considering the number of times I get out, trust me, it's not a lot. Last time I had hard liquor was at the bash.

Hootie
10-10-2008, 07:41 AM
dirty pop

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I maybe have one beer a week. Hard liquor is typically saved for when I go out. Considering the number of times I get out, trust me, it's not a lot. Last time I had hard liquor was at the bash.

Ok thats fine then...i just know shots, redbull offset the purpose if you are going for weight loss or something. Drink water, trust me you'll feel better. ive stopped fast food, ive maybe had arbys once in the past 4 months and thats it. (im not "fat" i just dont like shitty food anymore)

Hootie
10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Ok thats fine then...i just know shots, redbull offset the purpose if you are going for weight loss or something. Drink water, trust me you'll feel better. ive stopped fast food, ive maybe had arbys once in the past 4 months and thats it. (im not "fat" i just dont like shitty food anymore)
you're not on the fast food diet?

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
you're not on the fast food diet?

I used to eat fast food a ton when i had the fastest metabolism in the world, and weighed 140lbs, now im about 200. I heard a white castle is being made locally, im fucked, gross food + white castle movie, look out

Hootie
10-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I used to eat fast food a ton when i had the fastest metabolism in the world, and weighed 140lbs, now im about 200. I heard a white castle is being made locally, im ****ed, gross food + white castle movie, look out

CHICKEN FRIES

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 07:54 AM
CHICKEN FRIES

ROFL

Shag
10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
CHICKEN FRIES

Chicken RINGS.

Hootie
10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Chicken RINGS.

true =(

hit me

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
damn that sounds good faaackkk

Fish
10-10-2008, 08:12 AM

Gatorade turned into Kool-Aid at some point over the last 10 years. They put a ton of sugar in that now...

And I find it highly ironic that they came out with the new G2(Generation 2) Gatorade that has less calories. All it essentially is, is the old formula with less sugar, labeled as the next generation of Gatorade. They water down the regular formula, and hooray! Marketing success!

Saulbadguy
10-10-2008, 08:12 AM

Carbonated, caffeinated, full of sugar - what do you think?

Hootie
10-10-2008, 08:13 AM
damn that sounds good faaackkk

SPICY CHICKEN SPICY CHICKEN WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR ORIGINAL RECIPE ORIGINAL RECIPE CULVERS CULVERS CULVERS ARBY MELT ARBY MELT ARBY MELT QUIZNOS QUIZNOS QUIZNOS WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR SPICY CHICKEN SPICY CHICKEN BUTTTTTTTTTTER BURGER

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 08:18 AM
SPICY CHICKEN SPICY CHICKEN WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR ORIGINAL RECIPE ORIGINAL RECIPE CULVERS CULVERS CULVERS ARBY MELT ARBY MELT ARBY MELT QUIZNOS QUIZNOS QUIZNOS WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR WHOPPER JUNIOR SPICY CHICKEN SPICY CHICKEN BUTTTTTTTTTTER BURGER

:doh!:

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Gatorade turned into Kool-Aid at some point over the last 10 years. They put a ton of sugar in that now...

And I find it highly ironic that they came out with the new G2(Generation 2) Gatorade that has less calories. All it essentially is, is the old formula with less sugar, labeled as the next generation of Gatorade. They water down the regular formula, and hooray! Marketing success!
I always liked the orig. gatorade many years ago and i agree it does have too much sugar. I havent tried the G2 liiiiifee

luv
10-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Carbonated, caffeinated, full of sugar - what do you think?

I think I was being sarcastic. I would think Red Bull is worse than soda.

Saulbadguy
10-10-2008, 08:59 AM
I think I was being sarcastic. I would think Red Bull is worse than soda.

Well, it does come in a smaller can, so i'd say it would be equal.

DJJasonp
10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm trying to kick the red bull habit this weekend (I drink 3 a day).

It's the only caffeine I drink. 3 other times in my life, I've cut caffeine completely out of my diet...

The first 3 days of weening yourself off of caffeine feels like banging your head against a brick wall (the withdrawl headaches are the most intense headaches I've ever felt).

But, with that said, it's worth it....every time I've been off the caffeine habit...I've had more energy...sleep better at night....clearer mind, etc.

Good luck.

DJJasonp
10-10-2008, 09:08 AM
On another note....when I'm in my "no-caffeine mode"....I drink Diet Rite....no caffeine, no sodium...no aspertame...

It fills the void...and it doesnt taste too bad (if you absolutely have to have a soda).

Fish
10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
For any others out there that suffer from migraine headaches... and I'm talking real migraine headaches with visual aura, loss of vision, sensitivity to light and sound, etc. Cutting out soda has helped me dramatically in regards to the frequency and severity of my migraines. I was shocked at the difference. If you suffer regular migraines, you might try to cut your soda and see what difference it makes for you....

Joie
10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
You'll do fine, luv.

I gave up caffeine a few months ago. For me that means a latte every morning and several Mountain Dews throughout the day. I do allow myself to "cheat" about once a week, but I'm not addicted as I once was. I drink chamomile tea in the mornings now. And a lot of water. Sweet tea is also one of my weaknesses.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-10-2008, 01:18 PM

Best of luck! I haven't had it in three years! You can do it!

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Best of luck! I haven't had it in three years! You can do it!

Do you just drink water and eat healthy i assume

Inspector
10-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Green tea. Hot green tea with NO sugar or any other crap.

Just brew it fresh.

I've been hooked on that stuff for almost 40 years now. (Well, started with black tea)

Until around 11 am. Then I move to straight water.

And yeah, I'm a caffiene attic for sure although I'm not sure how green tea compares with other drinks with caffiene.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Do you just drink water and eat healthy i assume

Yep. Water, milk, orange juice. That's it.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Yep. Water, milk, orange juice. That's it.

Oh, and whey protein isolate drink mix, as well as smoothies.

That's it for drinks for me.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I gave it up earlier this year and made it about 4 months. :(

MIAdragon
10-10-2008, 01:46 PM
I gave it up earlier this year and made it about 4 months. :(

Congrats to you, I dont think I could go 4 days.

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh, and whey protein isolate drink mix, as well as smoothies.

That's it for drinks for me.

Gotcha....what is your weekly diet like if i may ask? or an example of what you'd have for breakfast, lunch, dinner

Saulbadguy
10-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Gotcha....what is your weekly diet like if i may ask? or an example of what you'd have for breakfast, lunch, dinner

I eat raw meat. I shit vegetables.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-10-2008, 01:59 PM

It's around here somewhere, I posted it this summer I'm sure, in the workout thread or something, I forget which thread ugh

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 02:00 PM
It's around here somewhere, I posted it this summer I'm sure, in the workout thread or something, I forget which thread ugh

Ok, i'll try to find it hehe

Hammock Parties
08-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Started drinking diet soda this week. I kinda feel like shit.

At least it's 0 calories though.

88TG88
08-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I gave up soda a few years ago and I don't miss it.

tea is 10x better

edit: post 22 has it down

Spicy McHaggis
08-22-2009, 01:04 AM
As yuppie as it sounds, I got myself off of soda by changing over to naturally flavored carbonated water. No sugar/caffeine but the carbonation and such helped me feel like it wasn't a huge departure.

Yep. Here's my man card. If I pull off a threesome with the hot twins that live across the hall from me, I'll be back for it.

Saccopoo
08-22-2009, 01:33 AM
I gave it up in March. It's bad news. Forget the calories and the sugar. Caffeine is terrible for your body. In fact, it inhibits weight loss.

Caffeine is fucking horrible. Dries you out like an alligator handbag, effs up your digestive system, screws your metabolism up, and gets into you like hooker heroine. I literally am majorly addicted to it. Can't leave the house without going to the store to pick up three cans of Red Bull. Sleep patterns are completely screwed because of it, which has now put me in a semi-manic depressive state. I hate that shit so bad...sometimes I wish it was heroine so I could quit it easier.

Spicy McHaggis
08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
You drink 3 cans of Red Bull a day? And I thought my coffee habits were bad, no wonder you're not sleeping dude. I reserve the Red Bull solely for the early morning drives from Wisconsin to KC.

Fairplay
08-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I drink maybe 4 cans of soda a week.

Mainly i drink water, apple juice, and V8 Fusion drinks.

cdcox
08-22-2009, 03:54 PM
You drink 3 cans of Red Bull a day? And I thought my coffee habits were bad, no wonder you're not sleeping dude. I reserve the Red Bull solely for the early morning drives from Wisconsin to KC.

Most days I drink 40 oz of coffee. That has far more caffeine than 3 cans of Red Bull.

chiefbowe82
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
you succeed luv?

GloryDayz
12-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, with the way the Chiefs are playing, you might need to swap-out your Soda for Vodka....

luv
12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
you succeed luv?

Yes, I did.

Awww, why did you turn your rep off? Not like red?

And why the fuck are you being so annoying? Can't help yourself?

chiefbowe82
12-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes, I did.

Awww, why did you turn your rep off? Not like red?

And why the **** are you being so annoying? Can't help yourself?

actually it's green....and second of all why are you such a bitch? Time of the month?

luv
12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
actually it's green....and second of all why are you such a bitch? Time of the month?

You ask that like it's going to offend me.

chiefbowe82
12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
You ask that like it's going to offend me.

I ask it like it's a question.

Pioli Zombie
12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I always wanted to find a real Dr Pepper. Just so I could tell him that in my opinion he was misunderstood.
Posted via Mobile Device

Redrum_69
12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Four words....

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Read labels more, this shit is in everything...bread, ice cream, pop, energy drinks, fruit juice, gatorade, arizona green tea and other drinks/foods you wouldnt think it would be in..

Redrum_69
12-28-2009, 10:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

Redrum_69
12-28-2009, 10:12 PM

gatorade is like pouring acid on your teeth...next time you are visiting your dentist...ask him

A study by the University of Maryland Dental School has found that sports drinks contain acids that stimulate the breakdown of tooth enamel, leading to cavities. The enamel damage caused by sports drinks was from 3 to 11 times as great as that caused by cola-based drinks. The acid in the drinks causes the pH level in the mouth to drop, which stimulates the life cycle of mouth bacteria that cause cavities

Pioli Zombie
12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
"You sure like sugar"
"Is there sugar in syrup?"
"Yes"
"Then YES!"
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 10:15 PM
"You sure like sugar"
"Is there sugar in syrup?"
"Yes"
"Then YES!"
Posted via Mobile DeviceLOL... Elf... just watched that with my boys.

Sure-Oz
12-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Just drink water...

i love sports drinks like powerade zero if anything

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
just reading this makes me salivate thinking of Dr Pepper

petegz28
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Coke Zero.....much better than diet

Chiefburger
12-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Just drink water...

i love sports drinks like powerade zero if anything

Or -- for a better source of hydration -- beer, this coming from my favorite Philadelphia Weekly story:

"In November 2007, medical professor Manuel Castillo Garzon of Granada University in Spain announced that the hydration effect of beer was 'slightly better' than that of water."

I'd post the link, but as a rook I'm not permitted.

Groves
12-28-2009, 11:11 PM
No Caffeine, Real Sugar. Tastes Amazing.

http://losttrailsoda.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/lost-trail-sugarcane-cola.jpg