PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Weird Al Yankovic- "Whatever You Like"

POND_OF_RED
10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
This is much more realistic than the T.I version. ROFLROFLROFL
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRVi0paZlfI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRVi0paZlfI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KCrockaholic
10-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I dont even know the T.I. version, this prolly sounds better than T.I.'s anyway

TrickyNicky
10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Weird Al is still awesome.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Under-appreciated genius.

luv
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
And the dude can really sing. You know what kind of range it takes to be able to sing all of those different songs?

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't know the song itself, but this is really good.

kcxiv
10-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Wierd Al rocks.

FAX
10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Which song was it where he and his wife went to the drive-thru? That was hilarious.

I agree that Wierd Al is a much better vocalist than a lot of people care to admit. He also markets himself very intelligently. He owns his niche.

FAX

kcxiv
10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
White and Nerdy rocks, its has gotten 35 million hits. He like stated above, is a underrated genious.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Which song was it where he and his wife went to the drive-thru? That was hilarious.

Stranded at the drive thru.

"She's like whatever, I just don't want any liiiiiiiiiveeeeeeer."

FAX
10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Stranded at the drive thru.

"She's like whatever, I just don't want any liiiiiiiiiveeeeeeer."

ROFL

That is the funniest video of all times.

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 11:15 PM
ROFL

That is the funniest video of all times.

FAX

Video?

"THEN WE BOTH GOT KINDA QUIET! AND IT GOT REAL INTENSE!"

kcxiv
10-09-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

he doesnt let ya embed, but this one rocks.

KcMizzou
10-09-2008, 11:20 PM

I agree that Wierd Al is a much better vocalist than a lot of people care to admit. He also markets himself very intelligently. He owns his niche.

FAXI thought he was done when I was like... 16...

I'm 34 and he's still nailing it.

BWillie
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow this is honestly pretty good. I thought Weird Al had bit the dust. Haha. Love this guy, he keeps on pluggin.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow this is honestly pretty good. I thought Weird Al had bit the dust. Haha. Love this guy, he keeps on pluggin.

Why? His last album was out last year. He's awesome.

boogblaster
10-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Al is in touch ... Weird will always sell ...

The Bad Guy
10-10-2008, 05:31 AM
I saw him in concert in July. He's an amazing performer.

He's also lasted over 3 decades, which is crazy.

Weird Al rocks.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Pretty amazing guy. I first remember him back in the 80's making parodies of Micheal Jackson and Greg Kihn Band songs.

FAX
10-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Video?

"THEN WE BOTH GOT KINDA QUIET! AND IT GOT REAL INTENSE!"

Yeah ... it was a kind of strange, cartoonish video. Not anime, but something else but not bugs bunny style, either.

FAX

movinbones
10-10-2008, 07:08 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

What timing I was walking through the house singing that song this morning and then I get on here and its the first thing I saw.

ROFL

Demonpenz
10-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I am telling you right now. As a man with a thousand cd's and 20 or so gigs of music. The cd with the parady of smells like teen spirt still gets regular play on my cd player

Goapics1
10-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Under-appreciated genius.

Without a doubt.

Hootie
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
I am telling you right now. As a man with a thousand cd's and 20 or so gigs of music. The cd with the parady of smells like teen spirt still gets regular play on my cd player

exactly 1000?

Frosty
10-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I saw him in concert in July. He's an amazing performer.

He's also lasted over 3 decades, which is crazy.

Weird Al rocks.

We saw him in August at the Oregon State Fair. Amazing concert. Very entertaining. My wife and I were very impressed by how well he sings live.

Nerdvana - Weird Al and Star Wars:

Baby Lee
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
White and Nerdy rocks, its has gotten 35 million hits. He like stated above, is a underrated genious.

He's done a ton that I've loved, and that one might be his Citizen Kane.

unothadeal
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah ... it was a kind of strange, cartoonish video. Not anime, but something else but not bugs bunny style, either.

FAX

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmGVYki-oyQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmGVYki-oyQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is awesome.

DaFace
10-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Once upon a time, I was the biggest Weird Al nerd ever. I had around 15 of his CD's, and saw him in concert three times.

teedubya
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
oh yeah, as a kid I LOVED Weird Al. I had all his tapes. Now, I have all of his illegally downloaded mp3s, and my son loves him. Hilarious bridges generations, folks. Be hilarious.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 11:51 AM
You equate "genius" with a man whose sole claim to fame is comedic spoofs of popular songs? He is and was never talented enough to forge a career in music or comedy. So he settled somewhere in the middle. He has zero artistic merit of his own, but he's being called "genius"? I've truly heard it all.

Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, The Beatles...
That's genius.

DaFace
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
You equate "genius" with a man whose sole claim to fame is comedic spoofs of popular songs? He is and was never talented enough to forge a career in music or comedy. So he settled somewhere in the middle. He has zero artistic merit of his own, but he's being called "genius"? I've truly heard it all.

Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, The Beatles...
That's genius.

The word genius is relative. I could make the same argument that your list is laughable compared to Einstein and Isaac Newton, for example. I'd never claim that Weird Al is a musical genius, but he's pretty far up there on the comedic genius scale.

luv
10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Don't know if it's been posted, but here's the song the parady is based on...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQJACVmankY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQJACVmankY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

vailpass
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
He's done a ton that I've loved, and that one might be his Citizen Kane.

Yes, although I would put 'Amish Paradise' up there as well.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
The word genius is relative.

I disagree. I just think it's used much too loosely.

I could make the same argument that your list is laughable compared to Einstein and Isaac Newton, for example.

Different kind of genius.

I'd never claim that Weird Al is a musical genius, but he's pretty far up there on the comedic genius scale.

I suppose if Carrot Top and Dane Cook are his comedic company.

TrickyNicky
10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Don't know if it's been posted, but here's the song the parady is based on...

I appreciate Weird Al's version even more now. Al's chorus and beat sound better IMO too.

Thig Lyfe
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
You equate "genius" with a man whose sole claim to fame is comedic spoofs of popular songs?

Some of his best songs aren't spoofs of anything. "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" springs to mind as one of my favorite Weird Al songs, and it's 100% original.

I don't buy your argument that Weird Al "couldn't make it in music or comedy so he does this" because in reality, isn't he making it in both at once? I don't think he looks back at his career wishing he had "gone legit". This is what he was meant to do.

Weird Al, though understandably annoying to some people, is the greatest song parodist of all time. It takes a certain amount of genius to keep those song parodies funny for thirty years.

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
wasn't weird al voted american's sexiest male alive at one point?

Micjones
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Some of his best songs aren't spoofs of anything. "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?"

He's known for parodies, not his original material.

I don't buy your argument that Weird Al "couldn't make it in music or comedy so he does this" because in reality, isn't he making it in both at once?

What artistic merit does spoofing someone else's original musical work (with virtually the same arrangements and musical compositions) have?

I can't imagine that he wouldn't chase a serious musical career if he really did have the requisite skill set to do so. Especially at this point in his career... He's established a base. This would be the perfect jumping off point for such a career move. Why not? Because he'd never be taken seriously as an artist.

I don't think he looks back at his career wishing he had "gone legit". This is what he was meant to do.

I tend to agree. My point is what he's done isn't worthy of being tabbed "musical genius". I think that requires artistic merit of your own.

It takes a certain amount of genius to keep those song parodies funny for thirty years.

I suppose that depends on who you ask.
And also on how you measure the comedic value of spoofs.

I think the guy owns the song parody lane.
He's done very clever work during his long career.
I just think it's a bit ridiculous to assign the term "genius" to that.

gblowfish
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM
He's this generation's version of Spike Jones.
You either get humor,
or you don't.

His polkas made up of clips from popular songs kick ass.

bobbything
10-10-2008, 03:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmGVYki-oyQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmGVYki-oyQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is awesome.
I can't tell you the genius behind this. It captures the sheer horribleness that is today's R&B. Uninspired lyrics, redundant beat and tune. Just talking and kind of singing at the same time. No real thought behind it.

I bet it took him longer to write that song than it did R. Kelly to write his awful, awful version.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
He's this generation's version of Spike Jones.
You either get humor,
or you don't.

His polkas made up of clips from popular songs kick ass.

Humor isn't esoteric sir.
I get it.

This isn't even comedic genius.

If you think it is... You probably haven't been exposed to the greats.

bobbything
10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
He's known for parodies, not his original material.

What artistic merit does spoofing someone else's original musical work (with virtually the same arrangements and musical compositions) have?

I can't imagine that he wouldn't chase a serious musical career if he really did have the requisite skill set to do so. Especially at this point in his career... He's established a base. This would be the perfect jumping off point for such a career move. Why not? Because he'd never be taken seriously as an artist.

I tend to agree. My point is what he's done isn't worthy of being tabbed "musical genius". I think that requires artistic merit of your own.

I suppose that depends on who you ask.
And also on how you measure the comedic value of spoofs.

I think the guy owns the song parody lane.
He's done very clever work during his long career.
I just think it's a bit ridiculous to assign the term "genius" to that.
With no due respect, you don't know shit from shinola, sir.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
With no due respect, you don't know shit from shinola, sir.

Such the silver tongue.

I suppose when you don't have an argument to stand on you dust off an insult from the WWII era.
Fair enough.

Let's break out the Bing Crosby records while we're at it...

redbrian
10-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I get it.

I too have to disagree with your opinion.....Al has the musical chops, his comedic genius rates right up with the Goons.......you don't see it, thats ok, you just lack the eye for musical and comedic talent.....

vailpass
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I get it.

ROFL Dude, stop.

Quesadilla Joe
10-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I get it.

:spock: You are a douche bag I would like to see you do better.

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
That is awesome.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I too have to disagree with your opinion.....Al has the musical chops

Musical chops? Are you kidding?
He can hold a note, but he's no vocalist.

his comedic genius rates right up with the Goons.......you don't see it, thats ok, you just lack the eye for musical and comedic talent.....

Yeah, I'm sure Leno would consider Weird Al Yankovich one of the greats.

This conversation has gotten stranger the longer it's gone on today.
No respectable historian in comedy would deem Weird Al comedic genius.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 04:53 PM
:spock: You are a douche bag I would like to see you do better.

I'm sorry I have better taste in comedy than some of the people who've posted in this thread.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
ROFL Dude, stop.

I stand by that statement. Well... Everything except the word "exposed". I misspoke.
I chose the wrong word. You all have certainly been exposed. But given this line of discussion I don't know that I'm talking to people truly knowledgeable about comedy.

You identify who the great contributors were (to comedy) in the last 30 years and no way in Hell Weird Al's name comes up. Unless you don't know Jack and Shit about comedy.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2008, 04:59 PM
He's the greatest parody artist of the modern era.

That counts for something.

POND_OF_RED
10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I suppose if Carrot Top and Dane Cook are his comedic company.

That's a little ridiculous. Dane Cook steals his material word for word and adds hand motions to think he's funny. Al takes bad songs like this one, changes the words and makes them enjoyable to listen to. He obviously has some sort of talent or he wouldn't have a grammy award.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
He's the greatest parody artist of the modern era.

That counts for something.

Absolutely.

But that does not count for "genius".

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
That's a little ridiculous. Dane Cook steals his material word for word and adds hand motions to think he's funny. Al takes bad songs like this one, changes the words and makes them enjoyable to listen to. He obviously has some sort of talent or he wouldn't have a grammy award.

You're making my point for me.
The only way his contributions could ever be called comedic genius were if he was lumped in a category with a bunch of mediocre comics.

When I think of comedic genius...
I think Lenny Bruce.
I think Redd Foxx.
I think Richard Pryor.
I think George Carlin.
I think Bill Cosby.

luv
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I stand by that statement. Well... Everything except the word "exposed". I misspoke.
I chose the wrong word. You all have certainly been exposed. But given this line of discussion I don't know that I'm talking to people truly knowledgeable about comedy.

You identify who the great contributors were (to comedy) in the last 30 years and no way in Hell Weird Al's name comes up. Unless you don't know Jack and Shit about comedy.

IMO, he's a great entertainer, whether you see him as comedic or not. It's cool to take theses songs and twist them like he does. He just makes them fun, if not funny.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
IMO, he's a great entertainer, whether you see him as comedic or not. It's cool to take theses songs and twist them like he does. He just makes them fun, if not funny.

I'm not suggesting that he has no entertainment value.
I don't even take exception to the argument that he's funny.
His parodistic style is among the very best as song parodies go.

My problem is with him being called "genius".

That word is so overused.
And has no application to this discussion.

POND_OF_RED
10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
You're making my point for me.
The only way his contributions could ever be called comedic genius were if he was lumped in a category with a bunch of mediocre comics.

I don't think he's a genius but I think your taking that title a little too seriously. To say he couldn't hack it in comedy or music is stupid when he's done both for over a quarter of a century. You may not like his songs but he's obviously made it or he wouldn't still be doing it. Obviously he's not the funniest man alive but I'd like to hear who you think makes better parody songs. He's obviously the best at what he does.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think he's a genius but I think your taking that title a little too seriously.

And rightly so.

To say he couldn't hack it in comedy or music is stupid when he's done both for over a quarter of a century.

He's not doing comedy or music in their purest forms.
He's a parodist of popular songs. That's a category unto itself.

Obviously he's not the funniest man alive but I'd like to hear who you think makes better parody songs. He's obviously the best at what he does.

One more time...slowly.
I've already conceded the argument that he's the very best at doing song parodies.

My problem is with him being called a "genius" as it relates to music or comedy.

luv
10-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not suggesting that he has no entertainment value.
I don't even take exception to the argument that he's funny.
His parodistic style is among the very best as song parodies go.

My problem is with him being called "genius".

That word is so overused.
And has no application to this discussion.

People don't share in your obvious passion for the word genius. Maybe it's because you feel you are underappreciated in that area? Either way. I think he's very musically talented (is musically a word...lol). Moreso than he is with writing.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
People don't share in your obvious passion for the word genius. Maybe it's because you feel you are underappreciated in that area? Either way. I think he's very musically talented (is musically a word...lol). Moreso than he is with writing.

This has nothing to do with feeling underappreciated in this forum.
My reputation would suggest otherwise.

I just don't like when people assign terms like "genius" and "great" to parties undeserving. I heard Mitch Holthus call Brandon Flowers a GREAT player the other night. Made me cringe.

He's a rookie who's performed fairly well in just 5 games, but to call him a great player at this point is flat absurd.

POND_OF_RED
10-10-2008, 05:18 PM
"genius" is just a lot faster to type than "he's very talented in his line of work"

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
"genius" is just a lot faster to type than "he's very talented in his line of work"

Fair enough.

luv
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
This has nothing to do with feeling underappreciated in this forum.
My reputation would suggest otherwise.

I just don't like when people assign terms like "genius" and "great" to parties undeserving. I heard Mitch Holthus call Brandon Flowers a GREAT player the other night. Made me cringe.

He's a rookie who's performed fairly well in just 5 games, but to call him a great player at this point is flat absurd.

Okay, you believe people use the term loosely. Cringe and move on to the next thread, then. Geez.

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Okay, you believe people use the term loosely. Cringe and move on to the next thread, then. Geez.

I thought this was a message board open to the exchange of ideas that don't exactly mirror one another?

Sorry I disagreed with the idea that he's comedic genius.
ROFL

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I bother to disagree with someone.
That's GENIUS.

luv
10-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I thought this was a message board open to the exchange of ideas that don't exactly mirror one another?

Sorry I disagreed with the idea that he's comedic genius.
ROFL

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I bother to disagree with someone.
That's genius.

IMO, there's a difference in disagreeing and trying to prove everyone wrong. I don't know why I even got in on this conversation, to tell you the truth. :)

Micjones
10-10-2008, 05:31 PM
IMO, there's a difference in disagreeing and trying to prove everyone wrong.

And I suppose no one else in this thread has done that?

That's a joke.

When you have a discussion you present your argument.
I do so passionately. Sue me.
:D

Johnny Vegas
10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
funny thing is is that T.I. allowed him to do this song. Just goes to show T.I. has a sense of humor and isn't so serious(one of T.I.'s album names) little T.I. joke. There it goes flying away.....

Great remake!

luv
10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
funny thing is is that T.I. allowed him to do this song. Just goes to show T.I. has a sense of humor and isn't so serious(one of T.I.'s album names) little T.I. joke. There it goes flying away.....

Great remake!

Nice Prgressive Insurance commercial reference. :p

KcMizzou
10-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Great remake!Yeah, props to him for that. If I remember correctly, Coolio was a bitch about "Amish Paradise".

HoustonChiefFan
10-10-2008, 07:51 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yle5-eGBdkE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yle5-eGBdkE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

comedy genius.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
God I hate white rappers.

Johnny Vegas
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Nice Prgressive Insurance commercial reference. :p

:D thats where I got it from...

Deberg_1990
10-10-2008, 08:24 PM
BTW, anyone ever seen Weird Al's flick "UHF" that came out about 20 years or so ago?

Always cracked me up. Michael (Kramer) Richards is in it, and hes hilarious.

blaise
10-11-2008, 12:30 AM
I just want to thank micjones for coming and letting everyone know exactly what comedy and genius are all about by quoting people again and again and dissecting what they've said to make some point.
Nothing like trying to suck all the humor out of a place by explaining to everyone how they don't understand what funny really is. Thank you so much for explaining the true essence and meaning of comedy and genius.
micjones = not funny.
Weird Al = funny.
Weird Al = takes other people's works and makes homorous parodies.
micjones = quotes other people's lines in this thread and makes unfunny posts tailored around them.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-11-2008, 02:03 AM

Knowledgable about comedy? I always thought comedy was shit that made you laugh. If that's the case then I guess comedy would be different for each individual. For anyone to say that someone is or isn't a comedic genius is just an opinion. No matter who it's coming from.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-11-2008, 02:04 AM
BTW, anyone ever seen Weird Al's flick "UHF" that came out about 20 years or so ago?

Always cracked me up. Michael (Kramer) Richards is in it, and hes hilarious.

Plays an eerily similar part to Kramer. I always wondered if Jerry was a closet UHF fan.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Jerry Seinfeld. That guy was no comedic genius.

Micjones
10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I just want to thank micjones for coming and letting everyone know exactly what comedy and genius are all about by quoting people again and again and dissecting what they've said to make some point. Nothing like trying to suck all the humor out of a place by explaining to everyone how they don't understand what funny really is. Thank you so much for explaining the true essence and meaning of comedy and genius.
micjones = not funny.
Weird Al = funny.
Weird Al = takes other people's works and makes homorous parodies.
micjones = quotes other people's lines in this thread and makes unfunny posts tailored around them.

And if you're scoring at home...
You fail to address my argument altogether and make some personal assessment of me. Dial up "ad hominem fallacy" chief.

Do you have an argument that Yankovic is comedic genius?
If you don't... You might wanna keep the line moving.

Thanks.

Micjones
10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Knowledgable about comedy? I always thought comedy was shit that made you laugh. If that's the case then I guess comedy would be different for each individual. For anyone to say that someone is or isn't a comedic genius is just an opinion. No matter who it's coming from.

Flops this is obviously all subjective. Most of what we discuss in this forum is.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Flops this is obviously all subjective. Most of what we discuss in this forum is.

I'm a little slow.

Micjones
10-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm a little slow.

Well duh...
:D

Silock
10-13-2008, 12:18 AM
This is awesome lol

KC_Connection
10-13-2008, 12:23 AM
I love this video, it's pure genius.

blaise
10-13-2008, 07:58 AM
And if you're scoring at home...
You fail to address my argument altogether and make some personal assessment of me. Dial up "ad hominem fallacy" chief.

Do you have an argument that Yankovic is comedic genius?
If you don't... You might wanna keep the line moving.

Thanks.

The merits of Weird Al's comedic genius was your debate, not mine. People are able to make points unrelated to your petty argument, you realize that right? Or are you too egotistical to understand that you're not the center of the universe (oh and what a lame, unfunny, pedantic universe it would be)
And I guess the irony of your reply was lost on you. My point was that you're on a soapbox telling people about what comedic genius is and you're about as funny as According to Jim.
Your reply to me? More of the same.
Keep up the good work, the world needs more people sucking the life out of humor.

Micjones
10-13-2008, 08:24 AM
The merits of Weird Al's comedic genius was your debate, not mine.

It would seem to me that you responded to that idea.
Don't clam up now. Offer up your argument to the contrary.
Otherwise you're just bitching about my having a view different from the overall sentiment in this thread. Which is flat ridiculous to say the very least.

People are able to make points unrelated to your petty argument, you realize that right?

That's painfully obvious. And unlike you... I have no problem with that fact.

Or are you too egotistical to understand that you're not the center of the universe (oh and what a lame, unfunny, pedantic universe it would be)

You sound like a scorned ex-girlfriend. You don't know me personally.
Your opinion of me amounts to very little. Can you argue the merits of Yankovic's comedic genius or not? All of this personal ostracism has no place in this thread. I mean really...

And I guess the irony of your reply was lost on you. My point was that you're on a soapbox telling people about what comedic genius is and you're about as funny as According to Jim.

Let's start with the fact that I'm not a comedian.
Neither are any of the people who view Yankovic as comedic genius.
Obviously that's not a prerequisite from having a critical view of comedy.
Why you've made this a requirement for me suggests something wrong with you...not myself.

We're all on soapboxes if it hadn't occurred to you.
It's a message board for crying out loud.

Your reply to me? More of the same.
Keep up the good work, the world needs more people sucking the life out of humor.

God knows I did that by suggesting Yankovic wasn't comedic genius.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, I DIDN'T say he's done very good work in the past. And that his works have often been both funny and clever. Skip over that part so you can more quickly get to a personal indictment of me. That works.

If you'd like to argue the comedic merits of Yankovic I'll gladly oblige you, but this bitchfest about me offering up a sincere opinion of the man is ridiculous. You need to get ahold of your estrogen levels. Bake a cake or something.

Al Bundy
10-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Weird Al is pure comedic genius simply by the fact that he really did start the whole parody thing on a big scale. He can play multiple instruments, does well in stand and sit down interviews and is just plain creative.

Micjones
10-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Weird Al is pure comedic genius simply by the fact that he really did start the whole parody thing on a big scale. He can play multiple instruments, does well in stand and sit down interviews and is just plain creative.

Now that's the most compelling argument I've heard thus far.
He absolutely took song parodies to astronomical new heights.

I'm not certain that that, in itself, is deserving of the "genius" title but I can certainly understand and appreciate that viewpoint.

Al Bundy
10-13-2008, 08:39 AM
I only say it because he is the initial one and no one has really even tried it.. and when you have Coolio calling and complaining about his song being parodied... you are a genius. IMHO.

blaise
10-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Seriously dude- do you not see how ridiculous you are? You honestly don't see that? You're chopping up phrases and quoting all these passages.
I never said anything pro or con about Al and his genius, I could care less. You're blinded by your own smarmy jackassery. Don't infer what I didn't say just because it fits your retarded debate.
My point is simply this, no more, no less: You're a self-important douche that has to have the last word, is a contrarian just to be one, you're boring, unfunny and lame.
Cue your long winded response now you message board debating dork.
Have fun.

irishjayhawk
10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Now that's the most compelling argument I've heard thus far.
He absolutely took song parodies to astronomical new heights.

I'm not certain that that, in itself, is deserving of the "genius" title but I can certainly understand and appreciate that viewpoint.

You've already defeated your entire argument regarding the relativity of "genius".

Abba-Dabba
10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't think he is a genius. I'm sure there are several people here that could string along words to others music just as well given a few weeks time. I wouldn't call them genius either. Weird Al just has the vehicle already in place to promote his lyrics.

Either way, I could care less if he a genius or not. If he makes decent cheese off of it, good for him.

Micjones
10-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Seriously dude- do you not see how ridiculous you are? You honestly don't see that? You're chopping up phrases and quoting all these passages.
I never said anything pro or con about Al and his genius, I could care less. You're blinded by your own smarmy jackassery. Don't infer what I didn't say just because it fits your retarded debate.
My point is simply this, no more, no less: You're a self-important douche that has to have the last word, is a contrarian just to be one, you're boring, unfunny and lame.
Cue your long winded response now you message board debating dork.
Have fun.

Another personal attack without an accompanying argument to rebut with.
Figures.

You've just admitted you have no personal feeling about the discussion one way or another. So this was just an opportunity for you to throw darts. Congratulations. You've successfully done an impression of about half of my exes. Logic and intelligent discourse be damned. Just bitch about something.

Let me know when that cake's done will ya?

Micjones
10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
You've already defeated your entire argument regarding the relativity of "genius".

Have I?

I make no bones about there being different types of genius.
My point was simply that he's neither musical or comedic genius.
That I stand by.

If the argument was whether or not he's parody genius I could understand.

All the same... I'm not telling anyone not to enjoy or support his work.

Al Bundy
10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDD_dcWx8jU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDD_dcWx8jU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaFace
10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Is this whole "genius" argument still going on? Seriously? :spock: