PDA

View Full Version : KU Robinson commits to KU

Mr. Plow
10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
#18 Rivals & #20 Scout

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/oct/10/robinson_orally_commits_ku/?breaking

Robinson orally commits to KU

By Gary Bedore (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/gary_bedore/) (Contact (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/gary_bedore/contact/))
Posted Friday, October 10, 2008

Thomas Robinson has orally committed to play basketball at Kansas University.

Robinson, a 6-foot-8 forward from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, said Friday morning he had chosen Bill Self's Jayhawks over runner-up Memphis.

"I'm excited. I felt like it was home for me, all the special players there," said Robinson, who visited both KU and Memphis in recent weeks.
Robinson is the No. 18 recruit in the country according to Rivals.com.

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 09:29 AM
FUCK YEAH!!!!!........from what I've heard this guy's the shit.

Demonpenz
10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Orally commits haha

teedubya
10-10-2008, 09:41 AM
FUCK YEAH!!!!!........from what I've heard this guy's the shit.

I don't know how you can like both teams man, it's just... just... unfuckingamerican!

teedubya
10-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Orally commits haha

speaking of which, how is your mom doing?

Demonpenz
10-10-2008, 09:43 AM
speaking of which, how is your mom doing?

oh man... if you were going to go there you should have done it on the jury duty thread...

"I made your girlfriend fullfill the gag order"

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know how you can like both teams man, it's just... just... un****ingamerican!

I hate MU bball......:D But yes I know what youre trying to say.

I've never ever cared for anything KU related other than bball. I just grew up watching it. Also grew up watching MU football. Never really cared for the football rivalry. I care deeply about the bball rivalry.

Mecca
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I thought this was going to be something about football recruiting, nevermind.

Skip Towne
10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I thought this was going to be something about football recruiting, nevermind.

KU is a basketball school.

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 09:56 AM
KU is a basketball school.

This statement is correct.

Swazey
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Now all we need is Xavier Henry and we're set. Hopefully this sways his decision.

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Now all we need is Xavier Henry and we're set. Hopefully this sways his decision.Wall or Stephenson would work just as well.

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Take a look at this

http://kansas.scout.com/a.z?s=172&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2009

This could turn into the best recruiting class ever with all the top recruits that are still interested in KU.

sedated
10-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Now all we need is Xavier Henry and we're set. Hopefully this sways his decision.

no way, his brother is going to Memphis

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
no way, his brother is going to MemphisThat doesn't mean he will be automatic to Memphis. He could fall in love at Late Night and commit to KU.

Mr. Plow
10-10-2008, 11:31 AM
That doesn't mean he will be automatic to Memphis. He could fall in love at Late Night and commit to KU.

I don't hold a lot of hope for him.....although it would be a great get for KU. Henry has been to Allen many times before.

irishjayhawk
10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't hold a lot of hope for him.....although it would be a great get for KU. Henry has been to Allen many times before.

Yep. His brother sealed the deal, I'm afraid.

Ultra Peanut
10-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Robinson was always going to be one of the tougher targets to pry away from KU. Congrats.

Henry's absolutely not a done deal, but I do feel way better about our chances with him and Wall than I ever did about Robinson. I suspect we'll be going hard after Favors now, with Robinson out of the picture.

irishjayhawk
10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Robinson was always going to be one of the tougher targets to pry away from KU. Congrats.

Henry's absolutely not a done deal, but I do feel way better about our chances with him and Wall than I ever did about Robinson. I suspect we'll be going hard after Favors now, with Robinson out of the picture.

I think if you get Henry, Wall will pick KU. But I could be wrong.

POND_OF_RED
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
How are his math grades? :Poke:

duncan_idaho
10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't know how you can like both teams man, it's just... just... un****ingamerican!

I saw one of his kind in Lincoln. Wearing Mizzou gear, sitting in a Mizzou section... wearing a &##&^&*#!#@ kU hat...

duncan_idaho
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM

ROFL

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM

That had nothing to do with KU.

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
How are his math grades? :Poke:Don't you mean english.

Skip Towne
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Take a look at this

http://kansas.scout.com/a.z?s=172&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2009

This could turn into the best recruiting class ever with all the top recruits that are still interested in KU.

GRCOAT

Sure-Oz
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
I saw one of his kind in Lincoln. Wearing Mizzou gear, sitting in a Mizzou section... wearing a &##&^&*#!#@ kU hat...

he should be shot

POND_OF_RED
10-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Don't you mean english.

Either or. He failed both of them.

HolyHandgernade
10-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm really happy we got Robinson. Don't get me wrong, one or two of the top 10 will be great as well, but Robinson is the kind of kid who has the motor other players feed off of, tenacious rebounder. Skyrocketed up the charts this past year after competing in the camps. Really excited about this one.

-HH

Saulbadguy
10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Probably should just go ahead and begin the NCAA investigation on him now.

duncan_idaho
10-10-2008, 01:43 PM
That had nothing to do with KU.

No, but it does cast an awful lot of doubt on how:

1) He passed his entrance exam (I have heard this, does kU actually have one of these)
2) How he stayed eligible for 1 and 1/2 years...

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Either or. He failed both of them.So it has nothing to do with KU the NCAA cleared him.

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
No, but it does cast an awful lot of doubt on how:

1) He passed his entrance exam (I have heard this, does kU actually have one of these)
2) How he stayed eligible for 1 and 1/2 years...

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happend with ANY powerhouse program in virtually any major collegiate sport. BFD

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM

How were Math grades? Oh wait you never went to class.............ever.

duncan_idaho
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happend with ANY powerhouse program in virtually any major collegiate sport. BFD

Definitely happens fairly often, though grade changing is pretty rare. Doesn't mean its OK or the NCAA shouldn't throw the book at someone who violates the rule.

Biggest problem for Self and co. is that kU has a reporter/news group chasing the story here that won't let it die. That's usually the first step (that, or a coaching colleague complaining).

BWillie
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM

My thoughts exactly, I think we have a 25% chance of getting Henry, while Memphis had 75% shot. If it was a done deal Henry wouldn't be dragging this on like he is by now especially once his brother committed, and that was quite a while ago. Still, I'm not very confident that X is coming to KU.

irishjayhawk
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Definitely happens fairly often, though grade changing is pretty rare. Doesn't mean its OK or the NCAA shouldn't throw the book at someone who violates the rule.

Biggest problem for Self and co. is that kU has a reporter/news group chasing the story here that won't let it die. That's usually the first step (that, or a coaching colleague complaining).

Let's say he's guilty and there are issues with his transcript. In no way is KU liable. If, for some reason, they were liable, it would call into question the entire NCAA.

Look, if the Clearinghouse clears them, there is no way it should come back to the university who ended up going after them and getting them. The university wouldn't have done so if the Clearinghouse hadn't cleared them in the first place.

It's a stupid argument and it's one that doesn't really matter at least with respect to KU.

duncan_idaho
10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Let's say he's guilty and there are issues with his transcript. In no way is KU liable. If, for some reason, they were liable, it would call into question the entire NCAA.

Look, if the Clearinghouse clears them, there is no way it should come back to the university who ended up going after them and getting them. The university wouldn't have done so if the Clearinghouse hadn't cleared them in the first place.

It's a stupid argument and it's one that doesn't really matter at least with respect to KU.

He/the school are in the clear on the high school stuff. It's not like he is now going to be declared ineligible and the title will be yanked or anything.

But the clearinghouse doesn't have anything to do with anything other than his high school grades.

If someone were to look into his college grades and find discrepancies/misconduct, though... (which is what I was trying to get at with my last post) that would definitely be fair game.

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 03:10 PM

The biggest problem is that these kids get exploited by the time they're 11-12 with big colleges trying to recruit the best players etc. A lot of times to get the best player theres a price.....esp now with as much parity there is now in bball.

They get exposed as being great and they are treated like rockstars from the very beginning. They get money under the table, shoe deals etc, tickets to games, access to players etc. I mean hell its getting to the point where HS games are being telecasted on ESPN if it involves a high blue chip player(s).

These players eventually don't develope a sense of responsibility and eventually get into trouble, don't focus on school work etc because really they dont think they have to, if the price is to hide some baggage under the run so to speak, a program with tons of money is willing to do so if the payoff is big enough. In many cases, these players can change a program around so the payoff can be worth it.

I mean do you really think these kids pass classes that are raised in terrible neighborhoods, going to terrible schools where teachers don't care to teach because the kids don't care to learn? Then a big time "friend of the school" calls them up and asks for a buyout to change a grade or 2 when their payout is 5-6 times more than they make in a year. If I was a teacher I sure as shit would accpet that and would keep my mouth shut.

It's all part of the game.

duncan_idaho
10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
The biggest problem is that these kids get exploited by the time they're 11-12 with big colleges trying to recruit the best players etc. A lot of times to get the best player theres a price.....esp now with as much parity there is now in bball.

They get exposed as being great and they are treated like rockstars from the very beginning. They get money under the table, shoe deals etc, tickets to games, access to players etc. I mean hell its getting to the point where HS games are being telecasted on ESPN if it involves a high blue chip player(s).

These players eventually don't develope a sense of responsibility and eventually get into trouble, don't focus on school work etc because really they dont think they have to, if the price is to hide some baggage under the run so to speak, a program with tons of money is willing to do so if the payoff is big enough. In many cases, these players can change a program around so the payoff can be worth it.

I mean do you really think these kids pass classes that are raised in terrible neighborhoods, going to terrible schools where teachers don't care to teach because the kids don't care to learn? Then a big time "friend of the school" calls them up and asks for a buyout to change a grade or 2 when their payout is 5-6 times more than they make in a year. If I was a teacher I sure as shit would accpet that and would keep my mouth shut.

It's all part of the game.

I agree with you all the way here. It's a hypocritical system, but one that can still burn a school if the NCAA or an outside party is willing to investigate.

That's why the NCAA needs to crack back big-time on: The AAU circuit, hiring family members/coaches, street agents, etc.

And maybe even start giving players a cut of the revenue they generate so they have some cash in their pockets (in forms other than meal cards, free tuition and a place to stay).

schneider221
10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
He/the school are in the clear on the high school stuff. It's not like he is now going to be declared ineligible and the title will be yanked or anything.

But the clearinghouse doesn't have anything to do with anything other than his high school grades.

If someone were to look into his college grades and find discrepancies/misconduct, though... (which is what I was trying to get at with my last post) that would definitely be fair game.

there has not even been a whisper of any grade changing while at KU. the whole investigation is surrounding his highschool grades, so like irish said the whole KU forfeiting anything should be considered(hopefully) a joke.

schneider221
10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I think if you get Henry, Wall will pick KU. But I could be wrong.

I think the more likely scenario for KU is

PG - Wall or Elija Johnson, whoever the first to commit gets the spot.

SF - Henry, Cheek, or Lance Stephenson. All three are considered studs. Henry has supposedly committed to memphis like 5 times in the past few months but nothing official has come out. Personally I think unless something really drastic changes soon he is headed to memphis. Cheek is a high school teammate of current jayhawk taylor and is down to KU/Villanova, and Stephenson who appears to have all the talent in the world but not really the best attitude. For what it is worth Stephenson did not make the U-19 USA team because he did not get along with the other players/staff. That is the same team Travis Relaford ended up making.

Silock
10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm hoping for Wall and Cheek.

BWillie
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm hoping for Wall and Cheek.

I didn't even realize KU was on the #1 guy in the countries list. Looks like he's trimmed it down a bit. If we get Wall and Henry I will break down in tears like I did when Mario Chalmers drilled that shot over Rose.

hawkchief
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Probably should just go ahead and begin the NCAA investigation on him now.

For a KSUck fan, there's not much else to live for anymore, huh?

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I didn't even realize KU was on the #1 guy in the countries list. Looks like he's trimmed it down a bit. If we get Wall and Henry I will break down in tears like I did when Mario Chalmers drilled that shot over Rose.It's not quite that big but it would be awesome.

TrickyNicky
10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Going wayyyy off topic, but whatever happened to Alex Galindo?

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Going wayyyy off topic, but whatever happened to Alex Galindo?He is in his senior year at Florida International.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22175

Silock
10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
It's not quite that big but it would be awesome.

After winning it this year, I'm not at all worried about Self's ability to deliver a national championship without a guy like Henry, especially against the recruits and power of Calipari.

With even the slightest upgrade in talent, we should be good to go.

sedated
10-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Going wayyyy off topic, but whatever happened to Alex Galindo?

Galindo?
Padgett?
Giddens?
Downs?
Wilkes?

CoMoChief
10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Padgett > Kaun

ArrowheadHawk
10-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Padgett > KaunPadgett = Crybaby

sedated
10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Padgett > Kaun

Championships

Skip Towne
10-10-2008, 06:35 PM
CoMoChief = Stupid

Saulbadguy
10-10-2008, 09:44 PM
CoMoChief = Stupid

He's not stupid. He's just a product of the Missouri public education system.