PDA

View Full Version : Electronics HD TV question... facial glare from overhead lighting?

jAZ
10-11-2008, 03:27 AM
I've got a problem that I wonder if anyone else has encountered.

Just traded in my Vizio 42" Plasma for a 50" Vizio Plasma.

On the new TV (but not on the old one) when watching any sort of newscast or similar live stage-type broadcast, the faces and skin-tone areas (neckline on women) seem to be washed out by the overhead stage lighting. I noticed it on the cable news channels (all of them, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc)... and just noticed it on a local news broadcast as well.

It's as if the glare on from the overhead stage lighting floods the colors washing out the rest of the facial features. It's quite distracting.

This doesn't happen on other sorts of broadcasts (movies, TV shows, recorded concerts, sports events, etc.).

I've tried playing with the color settings and adjusting everything I can and can't make it go away without screwing up the color of the other 95% of the programming on a TV.

I should also clarify that these are non-HD channels. I assume it would be the same on HD programs as well. Don't know though.

SAUTO
10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
mine only does that on non-hd channels

jAZ
10-11-2008, 03:34 PM
mine only does that on non-hd channels

I'm not alone then?

I wonder what the problem is?

I don't have any of the cable news channels in HD, so I can't do a direct comparison right now. I'll have to wait for the local news and flip between the HD and non-HD version to see if it's only non-HD. I think it's safe to assume that its' the case on my end as well.

SAUTO
10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
nope, not alone. couldnt figure it out myself, sometimes the football announcers that arent in hd, their color looks crazy, ABC mainly but wow

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Jaz,

First, identify the problem. Most likely it is the feed, but you could have a red push, too much brightness, or many other issues.

Download a DVD of Avia home theater guide. Use it to calibrate your television. From there, you should be able to figure out the source of the issue.

Miles
10-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Jaz,

First, identify the problem. Most likely it is the feed, but you could have a red push, too much brightness, or many other issues.

Download a DVD of Avia home theater guide. Use it to calibrate your television. From there, you should be able to figure out the source of the issue.

Sound advice. If your HD channels have similar issues then you may have something else going on. My non-HD channels look pretty much like shit on my set but I have not noticed a distortion like you are seeing.

Wouldn't surprise me if the problem with your feed has always been there but you just now notice with a bigger set.