PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs CHIEFS WANT A THIRD-ROUNDER FOR GONZALEZ Giants, the Bills, Eagles,Packers interested

10-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Posted by Mike Florio on October 11, 2008, 10:41 p.m. EDT

We heard last night of a report out of Kansas City linking Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Giants. We investigated the matter, and confirmed that, indeed, something is up.

Along with the Giants, the Bills, Eagles, and Packers are interested in the veteran Pro Bowler, who recently set the career receiving yardage record at his position.

The Chiefs reportedly want a third-round pick for Gonzalez. The Giants reportedly have offered a sixth-rounder.

Frankly, we’re shocked that King Carl has set his asking price so low. It’s a sign, in our view, of a genuine desire to get the deal done before the trading period expires at 4:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.

The fairest approach would be to use a formula that determines the pick based on the performance of Gonzalez and/or of his new team in his new city.

Gonzalez’s base salary for 2008 is only $1 million. In 2009, it spikes to $4 million. In all, he’s signed through 2011.

It makes sense for the Chiefs to get whatever they can for Gonzalez, who at 32 likely won’t be a significant contributor to any resurgence that the Chiefs might ever enjoy. Letting him chase a Super Bowl title with a contending team would also be a nice gesture of appreciation by a franchise for whom Gonzalez has done so much over the years.

Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/chiefs-want-a-third-rounder-for-gonzalez/)

beavis
10-12-2008, 06:37 AM
I'll believe it once I see it in WPI.

NY CHIEF
10-12-2008, 09:53 AM
3rd seems low........ wish the chiefs could pick up pro bowl players for a 3rd.......:doh!:

milkman
10-12-2008, 09:54 AM
3rd seems low........ wish the chiefs could pick up pro bowl players for a 3rd.......:doh!:

Will Shields.

GonzalesToBuffalo
10-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Would Tony even come to Buffalo? What type of guy is he? I know he is from LA, is he a big city type of guy who wouldn't even think of coming to Buffalo?

He has always been my favorite TE in the NFL, he pretty much changed the position. Buffalo needs a TE so bad to take safeties away from Lee Evans. Gonzalez's impact on our offense would be huge.

If he did say ok to Buffalo, would the Chiefs be interested in JP Losman and picks or just draft picks?

OnTheWarpath15
10-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Would Tony even come to Buffalo? What type of guy is he? I know he is from LA, is he a big city type of guy who wouldst even think of coming to Buffalo?

He has always been my favorite TE in the NFL, he pretty much changed the position.

If he did say ok to Buffalo, would the Chiefs be interested in JP Losman or just draft picks?

Not until you spell his name correctly.

milkman
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Would Tony even come to Buffalo? What type of guy is he? I know he is from LA, is he a big city type of guy who wouldn't even think of coming to Buffalo?

He has always been my favorite TE in the NFL, he pretty much changed the position. Buffalo needs a TE so bad to take safeties away from Lee Evans. Gonzalez's impact on our offense would be huge.

If he did say ok to Buffalo, would the Chiefs be interested in JP Losman and picks or just draft picks?

Why hell would we want Losman?

GonzalesToBuffalo
10-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Not until you spell his name correctly.

Sorry, I got too excited even seeing Buffalo mentioned as being interested I didn't even proof my user name.

GonzalesToBuffalo
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Why hell would we want Losman?

What if we just throw him in for free?

Bowser
10-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Why do you hate us?

milkman
10-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Better raise the price of that draft pick while you're at it.

luv
10-12-2008, 10:05 AM

We'll throw Herm in for free, too.

Mecca
10-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Losman is like Brodie Croyles twin.

Hootie
10-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Meh.

J.P. Losman is betting than any QB on our roster...by a wide margin.

Out of all the teams that GonzaleZ is rumored to be going to, I'd say Buffalo has to be the least likely.

As an avid Tony Gonzalez fan, I hope he hits New York so he gets some national coverage and everyone can realize how special of a talent he is.

Bowser
10-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Losman is like Brodie Croyles twin.

Does that mean he's listed as questionable for the next week if he has to force a growler out?

luv
10-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Meh.

J.P. Losman is betting than any QB on our roster...by a wide margin.

Out of all the teams that GonzaleZ is rumored to be going to, I'd say Buffalo has to be the least likely.

As an avid Tony Gonzalez fan, I hope he hits New York so he gets some national coverage and everyone can realize how special of a talent he is.

As of last night, they said NY giants were not showing an interest.

Frazod
10-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I just hope they don't trade him to an AFC team. Personally, I'd rather see him go to New York.

Mecca
Does that mean he's listed as questionable for the next week if he has to force a growler out?

He does tend to get injured...

Hootie
As of last night, they said NY giants were not showing an interest.

you would be the type to believe everything you hear

BigVE
10-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Supposedly Jay Glazer has some breaking news about TG. Coming soon on Fox pregame.

luv
10-12-2008, 10:09 AM
you would be the type to believe everything you hear

Fuck you. I'm simply saying what I heard.

vailpass
10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
If KC can get a 3rd round pick for a TE at the end of his career, even a first ballot HOFer, that would be a very good deal for the Chiefs. Not if they were a contender, but since they are in rebuild mode.

Hootie
10-12-2008, 10:15 AM
If KC can get a 3rd round pick for a TE at the end of his career, even a first ballot HOFer, that would be a very good deal for the Chiefs.

I wonder if Saints fans, assuming they existed at this time, said the same thing about Willie Roaf when he was traded to the Chiefs?

vailpass
10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I wonder if Saints fans, assuming they existed at this time, said the same thing about Willie Roaf when he was traded to the Chiefs?

What am I missing here? Was Roaf a TE or is TG an OL?
The two are completely different.

OnTheWarpath15
10-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Supposedly Jay Glazer has some breaking news about TG. Coming soon on Fox pregame.

So?

BigVE
10-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Nothing new. Asking for a 2nd and 5th according to Glazer, and they are ALSO shopping LJ.

triple
10-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Glazer said Tony asked to be traded 3 weeks ago, LJ being shopped too.

vailpass
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
If TG got with the Giants or another playoff team it would be very interesting to see him play in games that matter.

For his whole career he has been the primary receiver on a team that didn't play pressure games that counted towards the big trophy.

I'm sorry for you KC fans if you lose TG but as a fan it will be good to se how he does in big-time games.

Hootie
10-12-2008, 10:29 AM
you think he'd suddenly stop running routes and start dropping passes in big games? Please.

Bowser
10-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Philly would be a great place for Gonzo, and Seattle could really use LJ.

BigVE
10-12-2008, 10:31 AM
At this point TG is ONLY playing for a ring. He has the records and they will just keep being padded.

Hootie
10-12-2008, 10:34 AM
What am I missing here? Was Roaf a TE or is TG an OL?
The two are completely different.

I wasn't mocking you or anything...I'm just saying the 3rd round is a crap shoot...I'd say the Chiefs got more than their fair share of value out of that trade for Roaf...

Anytime you can get a HOF with no signs of slowing for a 3rd round pick...you take it. My opinion.

vailpass
10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
you think he'd suddenly stop running routes and start dropping passes in big games? Please.

WTF? No, I think it would be nice to see a big-time talent gt a chance to play in a big-time game.
For his whole career he has had individual accomplishments but played for pretty much nothing else.

IMHO he might get in a playoff game and find another level he forgot he had. It would be good football viewing.

vailpass
10-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I wasn't mocking you or anything...I'm just saying the 3rd round is a crap shoot...I'd say the Chiefs got more than their fair share of value out of that trade for Roaf...

Anytime you can get a HOF with no signs of slowing for a 3rd round pick...you take it. My opinion.

Depending on the position and circumstances I agree with you. I don't care if he is going to the HOF or not I don't give up a 3rd round pick for a 30-something year old RB , for example.

Sure-Oz
10-12-2008, 10:38 AM

LOL@the name

GonzalesToBuffalo
10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
LOL@the name

It was a simple typo.

No one ever hit the S instead of the Z?

But seriously, would Gonzalez even consider playing in Buffalo? Or would he just rather stay in KC and try to turn around the season, which could happen?

BigRedChief
10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
We have $36 million in cap space. Eat the bad signing bonus now and move on. Get whatever the market will bear. It ain't going to be true worth because of our situation. King Carl just needs to pull the trigger beause neither Tony G or LJ will be a top calibur player when and maybe if we return to being competitve.

Hootie
10-12-2008, 10:43 AM
It was a simple typo.

No one ever hit the S instead of the Z?

But seriously, would Gonzalez even consider playing in Buffalo?

Would Buffalo be his top choice? Hell no.

Would he do anything, at this point, to get away from KC? Hell yes.

So there's your answer.

Rain Man
10-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Carl would trade a team icon for a third-round choice? I weep for this team.

blackhawk
10-12-2008, 10:56 AM
chicago bears!

Micjones
10-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Clark needs to complete the house cleaning by ridding this team of Chiefs Brass.

Valiant
10-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/chiefs-want-a-third-rounder-for-gonzalez/)

If the Chiefs actually said they want a 3rd, then this IS the crappiest ran organization.. Do not put a definitive out there.. Make the other teams fight to sweeten the deal..

Rain Man
10-12-2008, 11:25 AM
If I was a coach coming into a losing team, I'd much rather have a 13-year veteran hall of famer who takes care of himself and mentors younger players and sets a high standard of play than have an extra third-round choice. This is a no-brainer.

My guess is that they're wanting to move him because he's telling the other players to just hang on until a competent coach and front office arrives.

milkman
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Clark needs to complete the house cleaning by ridding this team of Chiefs Brass.

I sure as hell won't argue with this.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I'll believe it once I see it in WPI.

Trade stuff about Tony and LJ has been on our premium forum since Wednesday...no one else had any of this stuff before us.

MIAdragon
10-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Trade stuff about Tony and LJ has been on our premium forum since Wednesday...no one else had any of this stuff before us.

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/albums-members/Super7/238195983_5f0a820a74_o.sized.jpg

10-12-2008, 05:23 PM
3rd seems low........ wish the chiefs could pick up pro bowl players for a 3rd.......:doh!:If that POS Shockey can draw a 2 and not even stay healthy I would think TG should be able to at least match that. Tony is reliable and still has 3 great years in him. Shockey can't even stay on the field.

BigVE
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM

Considering there is NO REAL news to even report I would gladly wait til today to get that "info" for free. Gossip and conjecture is not worth much...is that what a guy gets on the "premium" forum over there? No thanks.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Considering there is NO REAL news to even report I would gladly wait til today to get that "info" for free. Gossip and conjecture is not worth much...is that what a guy gets on the "premium" forum over there? No thanks.

It's not gossip and conjecture....it came from real sources...

BigVE
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
It's not gossip and conjecture....it came from real sources...

This board has been talking about trading TG and LJ for years....was that the source? lol

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 05:39 PM
This board has been talking about trading TG and LJ for years....was that the source? lol

No, we had the teams, the compensation that was being discussed....and we still have news that no one else has reported, from a source within the Giants. Reportedly they aren't even interested any more.

BigVE
10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
No, we had the teams, the compensation that was being discussed....and we still have news that no one else has reported, from a source within the Giants. Reportedly they aren't even interested any more.

Honestly, I DID hear that this morning. Don't even know where but I know I was nowhere near WPI. Either way, hope a deal gets done for Tony's sake.

ClevelandBronco
10-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Good God, man. He's spent his career in Kansas freaking City.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I DID hear that this morning.

We reported it last night...

DeezNutz
10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I DID hear that this morning. Don't even know where but I know I was nowhere near WPI. Either way, hope a deal gets done for Tony's sake.

GoChiefs mentioned it last night in classic "I'm-dropping-premium-information fashion." No one said anything...

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
GoChiefs mentioned it last night in classic "I'm-dropping-premium-information fashion." No one said anything...

Um...I just reported the news that was on our front page. I thought Chiefs fans might be interested, you know? I didn't drop a link or say A THING about Warpaint.

morphius
Chiefs were always going to ask a price high enough that nobody would pay for TG, trading him for picks would guarantee that nobody was going to pick up any of the open tickets available.

DeezNutz
Good God, man. He's spent his career in Kansas freaking City.

Says Cleveland? Fucking Cleveland? Cleeevelund, as it's more commonly known in the region.

DeezNutz
10-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Um...I just reported the news that was on our front page. I thought Chiefs fans might be interested, you know? I didn't drop a link or say A THING about Warpaint.

I'm not ripping you. It was the off-hand manner in which you made the post. You know what I mean. It's clear when you're "name dropping," of sorts. You didn't explicitly pimp WPI.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not ripping you. It was the off-hand manner in which you made the post. You know what I mean. It's clear when you're "name dropping," of sorts. You didn't explicitly pimp WPI.

I think you're reading way too much into it.

The Giants apparently aren't interested in Gonzalez now.

GoTrav
10-12-2008, 06:00 PM
3rd rounder seems like a no brainer for the Giants. Looking at all the team he has more value for the Giants or possibly the Pats before Brady went down. You'd think with that low of an asking price the deal would get done. Hell, they got a 2nd and 5th for freaking Shockey? Kind of hilarious they didn't even try to pony up the 5th they received in that deal for Tony. Guess that says something about the two organizations... /cry

CosmicPal
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm sure the bidding starts at a 3rd. If ANY of those two teams begin to show some serious interest, then one of them will likely offer a 2nd in order to secure the trade.

HemiEd
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Carl would trade a team icon for a third-round choice? I weep for this team.Yeah, they are positive they are going to draft another HOFer with the pick.
I hope LJ ends up with the Lions if they trade him.

gta0012
10-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I hope the eagles go for him cause LJ Smith sucks ass and he showed it today. And as Philly is my second team I would feel great having a second 88 jersey.

NYG FAN 08
10-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I was told by a good friend that works with the NFL network that its going to be Gonzo for S. Moss and a 4th rounder. Which I honestly hate because i didn't want to get rid of Moss.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I was told by a good friend that works with the NFL network that its going to be Gonzo for S. Moss and a 4th rounder. Which I honestly hate because i didn't want to get rid of Moss.

I'm shocked Herm would want a midget pipsqueak WR.

NYG FAN 08
10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Moss get excellent seperation size doesn't matter when you are 5-10 yards away from a defender.

triple
10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I'd be sad to see Tony go, but he deserves better than working for this inept Chiefs administration. It would be a crime for him to play a hall of fame career and never win a playoff game because of Carl and his latest stooge of a head coach.

I hope he sees his dream of winning a super bowl play out.

GoTrav
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM

If it's true I could live with that, but I feel bad for Moss.

Sure-Oz
10-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I would instantly become a Giants fan for the rest of the season if Gonzo is traded there. Moss and a 4th rounder wouldnt be bad imo, our WR's blow

gta0012
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I would instantly become a Giants fan for the rest of the season if Gonzo is traded there. Moss and a 4th rounder wouldnt be bad imo, our WR's blow

AArrrggghhh i HATE the giants and their fans fuuuuuck

old_geezer
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
If we actually got Moss in trade the only way he would be of any use to us is if the NFL changed the rules so he could run his routes in a hook-and-ladder truck. The way Croyle overthrows his receivers, Moss is starting with a huge handicap.

morphius
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
If we actually got Moss in trade the only way he would be of any use to us is if the NFL changed the rules so he could run his routes in a hook-and-ladder truck. The way All of our QB's overthrows his receivers, Moss is starting with a huge handicap.

Fixed your post...

keg in kc
10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
A 4th rounder and Sinorice Moss?

Wha?

GoTrav
10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
A 4th rounder and Sinorice Moss?

Wha?

don't like that?

blueballs
10-12-2008, 09:03 PM