PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs need some big plays from rookie Charles

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Chiefs need some big plays from rookie Charles (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/838394.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Jamaal Charles’ season can hardly be called a waste. The rookie running back is averaging 4.7 yards per rush, is the Chiefs’ third-leading pass receiver and has proved to be a willing and able pass protector.

But for his season to be a true success, Charles has to deliver more big plays.

The fastest of their offensive players, the Chiefs designed some plays intended to get the ball to Charles in the open field, where he might be able to outrun defenders. The Chiefs have even tried him as a kickoff returner, where he’s averaging slightly more than 26 yards per return.

He still doesn’t have a rush of more than 13 yards or a reception of more than 17 yards.

“It has to do with a lot of things,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “(A shortage of) plays. There have been a lot of three-and-outs for us. He’s dropped a couple of balls that maybe could have been big plays. Some of it is due to the fact he hasn’t been in the game a whole lot, hasn’t touched the ball a whole lot.

“In college, he was able to do that because he could outrun a lot of guys. In this league, you’re not going to outrun a whole lot of guys. This is hard. There are fast players in this league, and they can tackle good. That’s part of it, too.”

Still, the Chiefs had bigger hopes for Charles. They quickly determined they were more comfortable with Charles as a receiver and blocker, so he replaced Larry Johnson as the featured back on third-down plays and others calling for an obvious pass.

Rare is the rookie running back who is an accomplished pass blocker. Generally, they aren’t asked to block in college.

Charles was asked to at Texas. He blocked the wrong blitzing linebacker in the season-opener in New England and the result was a sack that knocked quarterback Brodie Croyle from the lineup because of a separated shoulder.

“My coaches told me that to make it in the league, I’d have to know how to block,” Charles said. “So I learned how to do it. I played my freshman year because I picked up the blitz well.”

Otherwise, his impact, like that of the offense as a whole, has been limited.

“To get stuff like that going, you’ve got to get your offense going first,” said Croyle, who will return as the starter in Sunday’s game against Tennessee at Arrowhead Stadium. “It’s hard to try to get the ball to certain guys when your whole offense isn’t going on any kind of consistent basis. Look at a team like New Orleans. They have a consistently productive offense and then they’re able to mix in some special things for Reggie Bush like screens and reverses.

“That’s what we’d like to do with Jamaal, but we need to get the rest of the offense going, too.”

Charles has 21 rushes and 12 pass receptions, so he’s getting the ball only 6 1/2 times a game on average.

“I’m really not getting the ball that much, really,” Charles said. “I’m just getting it out of the shotgun, mostly. I really want to run the ball out of the backfield instead of out of the shotgun. I think I can make more plays that way.”

The Chiefs have plenty of plays they would like to be able to do over in their 1-4 season. One from early in last month’s game against Oakland stands out.

Charles was split from the formation as a wide receiver, where he was covered one-on-one by linebacker Thomas Howard. Howard is fast for a linebacker, but he couldn’t keep up with Charles.

Charles ran down the sideline, but Damon Huard’s pass didn’t reach him and was incomplete. A strong throw would have given the Chiefs a touchdown.

“Did I miss a layup with him wide open? No,” Huard said. “But the perfect throw probably would have completed it.

“He’s a guy we’d like to get the ball to more. When teams blitz us, he usually has to stay in to block. Teams have done a good job of bringing that extra linebacker. We’ve been making the effort to get him the ball. If they’re in a soft zone, you can dump him the ball. We’ve thrown some screens to him, too.”

10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Foresight?

morphius
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
All the trade talk and our beat writer brings us this? yeah.

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2008, 12:05 AM
All the trade talk and our beat writer brings us this? yeah.

Jay Glazer is our beat writer, he is Carl's mouth piece. The Star is WPI with better creditinals.

DaneMcCloud
10-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Teicher's such a great writer!

Teicher, you suck.

Can I say that?

10-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Teicher's such a great writer!

Teicher, you suck.

Can I say that?

NO. He hoovers.

morphius
10-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Jay Glazer is our beat writer, he is Carl's mouth piece. The Star is WPI with better creditinals.
oh whatever one of the radio guys called him that, but it doesn't excuse him for shooting blanks all season. next week, we will get that the Chiefs want to get more first downs, or something else equally obvious.

10-13-2008, 12:09 AM
oh whatever one of the radio guys called him that, but it doesn't excuse him for shooting blanks all season. next week, we will get that the Chiefs want to get more first downs, or something else equally obvious.I am waiting for his fluff piece on how we have turned the corner.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2008, 12:12 AM

The credentials are all the same, dude.

Fire Me Boy!
10-13-2008, 05:51 AM

He meant to say they're like WPI except they deserve credentials.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Teicher,

kill yourself.

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I thought this was heading to a trade Charles topic.

Buehler445
10-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Give him the fucking ball then. And for the love of God and everything holy, will you throw the man a fucking screen pass? Would it kill you? The kid has all world speed and goddamn Squirmin Herman Edwards wants to run his ass up the middle. WHAT THE FUCK?

Hoover
10-13-2008, 07:53 AM
NO. He hoovers.
I take offense to that

BigChiefFan
10-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Wow, thanks for the insight, Teicher.

Phobia
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
The rookie running back ... has proved to be a willing and able pass protector.

Willing? Perhaps. Able? Let's ask Brokie about that one.

Phobia
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Not really. Some of the credentials have strings attached to them. I'm surprised you don't know this.

Reerun_KC
10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Give him the ****ing ball then. And for the love of God and everything holy, will you throw the man a ****ing screen pass? Would it kill you? The kid has all world speed and goddamn Squirmin Herman Edwards wants to run his ass up the middle. WHAT THE ****?

Yeah what he said!

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Willing? Perhaps. Able? Let's ask Brokie about that one.

I wouldn't trust Brokie's response. He breaks something if you just look at him.

TheCloser
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
He's touched the ball 33 times....I'm not sure what you expect. For his season to be a success....being 3rd in receiving and having 4.7 per carry as a rookie backup is in my opinion a success.

I'm not saying Larry isn't a good back. Charles hasn't been given enough carries for a proper evaluation of his numbers, but for the sake of arguing the logic of Mr. Teicher....Larry is at 4.5 per carry but that average is exaggerated because of a few huge gains...I'll take consistency over a big play every time because you'll win more games with the guy getting 3-5 per carry with his longest being 15 yards than the guy getting 0-2 per carry with a handful of big runs.

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
He's touched the ball 33 times....I'm not sure what you expect. For his season to be a success....being 3rd in receiving and having 4.7 per carry as a rookie backup is in my opinion a success.

I'm not saying Larry isn't a good back. Charles hasn't been given enough carries for a proper evaluation of his numbers, but for the sake of arguing the logic of Mr. Teicher....Larry is at 4.5 per carry but that average is exaggerated because of a few huge gains...I'll take consistency over a big play every time because you'll win more games with the guy getting 3-5 per carry with his longest being 15 yards than the guy getting 0-2 per carry with a handful of big runs.

in fairness to LJ, he is being set up against 8-9 guys in the box.
A little tough to do.
When JC is in...teams still aren't quite sure what to defend and he gets a little slack. When LJ is gone and Charles is the featured back, I doubt we see much better if any difference in his numbers and LJ's. For a team that wants to focus on running the ball, they sure don't know how to set it up.

TheCloser
10-13-2008, 11:06 AM
in fairness to LJ, he is being set up against 8-9 guys in the box.
A little tough to do.
When JC is in...teams still aren't quite sure what to defend and he gets a little slack. When LJ is gone and Charles is the featured back, I doubt we see much better if any difference in his numbers and LJ's. For a team that wants to focus on running the ball, they sure don't know how to set it up.

Not only the extras in the box bur out line isn't much help either. I would be willing to say behind a slightly better line and an even slightly effective passing game he would be much more productive. I was just using that as an example to negate the logic of the article, not to say Charles was a better back.

I don't know if it's that we don't know how to set it up, I think we are simply unable to set it up, example being against the Panthers. If you are only able to complete 15 passes in a game while behind the ground game is screwed if even used at all.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
He meant to say they're like WPI except they deserve credentials.

this made me chuckle

LMAO

plbrdude
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
“In college, he was able to do that because he could outrun a lot of guys. In this league, you’re not going to outrun a whole lot of guys. This is hard. There are fast players in this league, and they can tackle good. That’s part of it, too.”

how come we don't have any of those guys on our defense??