PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The NY Giants offered a 3rd rounder for Tony G at the last mintue

BigRedChief
10-15-2008, 06:25 AM
That's why the press conference was postponded.

King Carl and Herm were both on board with making the trade.

Herm later finds out that King Carl didn't make the trade without consulting him first. King Carl said he had 2nd thoughts and couldn't do that trade for only a 3rd. Which is why Herm was so pissed yesterday.

There are several players in the KC locker room upset with the direction of the team and "bad" teammates and cancer locker room guys being allowed to stay. They have went to Herm and Herm has went to King Carl to plead with him for those players to be released. Hence the release of Napolean Harris yesterday to relive some of that pressure.

Disclaimer.........just a rumor. I'm not in the Chiefs office. I'm not friends with King Carl and or Herm. Just repeating here what I've heard. So consider this info suspect until other sources confirm. But it is from my source that is never been wrong.....yet

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Makes sense.

A second team had to offer a 3rd, or Tony has no place bitching about not being traded in Glazer's interview - he turned down a chance for the Chiefs to get a 3rd and go to Buffalo - which was glossed over in the interview to make Tony look like a sympathetic figure in all this.

But in the end, all I'm worried about is this:

There are several players in the KC locker room upset with the direction of the team and "bad" teammates and cancer locker room guys being allowed to stay. They have went to Herm and Herm has went to King Carl to plead with him for those players to be released. Hence the release of Napolean Harris yesterday to relive some of that pressure.

It's already been mentioned that Tank said it would be weird sharing a locker room with a guy that doesn't want to be here. Said many of the young players feel the same.

Harris was a stone-cold lock in the "cancer" department.

Who are the others?

LJ?

McIntosh?

Surtain?

Huard?

ChiTown
10-15-2008, 06:35 AM
OMG! OMG! THE TEAM IS IMPLODING

OH NOEZ!1!1!1!1!1

lol

This team has been a disaster for some time now. The Phoenix won't be able to rise from the ashes until Carl leaves.

BigRedChief
10-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Makes sense.

A second team had to offer a 3rd, or Tony has no place bitching about not being traded in Glazer's interview - he turned down a chance for the Chiefs to get a 3rd and go to Buffalo - which was glossed over in the interview to make Tony look like a sympathetic figure in all this.

But in the end, all I'm worried about is this:

It's already been mentioned that Tank said it would be weird sharing a locker room with a guy that doesn't want to be here. Said many of the young players feel the same.

Who are the others?

LJ?

McIntosh?

Surtain?

Huard?
No names were mentioned but 810 am this morning said that Brain Waters on Will Shields radio show last week said there there were many unhappy people in the locker room but he wouldn't go into details when pressed. And Tank has already been public about his view.

Mecca
10-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Well hey typical Carl, I doubt anyone is surprised.

InChiefsHeaven
10-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Will Shields has a radio show? I don't live in KC so...what station is it on?

KCUnited
10-15-2008, 06:41 AM
When a player asks to be traded, not because he doesn't get along with ownership, or because he feels he's not making enough money, but he asks for a trade because the team is not winning enough games and the GM says he'll accomodate, the trade has to get done. Now that player has to come back to the locker room with everyone knowing they don't want to be there. Its was a gamble and it will effect the other guys differently. No one on the outside can tell any of the other 52 guys in that locker room how they are suppossed to feel about this situation. Not taking a 3rd, if that's true, is a **** up IMO.

BigRedChief
10-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Will Shields has a radio show? I don't live in KC so...what station is it on?
It's a weekly show on 810.

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 06:44 AM
When a player asks to be traded, not because he doesn't get along with ownership, or because he feels he's not making enough money, but he asks for a trade because the team is not winning enough games and the GM says he'll accomodate, the trade has to get done. Now that player has to come back to the locker room with everyone knowing they don't want to be there. Its was a gamble and it will effect the other guys differently. No one on the outside can tell any of the other 52 guys in that locker room how they are suppossed to feel about this situation. Not taking a 3rd, if that's true, is a **** up IMO.

True.

But it sounds like Carl was willing to send him to Buffalo for a 3rd, and Tony said no.

Starting to sound like Carl purposely backed off the late offer from the Giants to piss Tony off.

In the end, it's a clusterfuck that didn't need to happen to begin with.

BigRedChief
10-15-2008, 06:45 AM
But it sounds like Carl was willing to send him to Buffalo for a 3rd, and Tony said no.
Was this ever confirmed?

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Was this ever confirmed?

Several times, IIRC.

Glazer reported it.

Schefter reported it earlier in the day, then mysteriously shut up about it.

At this point, things are so fucked up, who knows how the stories are going to change.

KCUnited
10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
True.

Starting to sound like Carl purposely backed off the late offer from the Giants to piss Tony off.

In the end, it's a cluster**** that didn't need to happen to begin with.

So you are saying Carl's ego couldn't let Tony get the trade that HE wanted? No way. Carl will say that he feels the Giants will win the Superbowl with Tony and their 3rd would've amounted to a 4th.

I'm taking Herm's comments about this not reflecting in anyway on him as a means of distancing himself from Carl. Herm would've taken a 3rd from anyone.

tomahawk kid
10-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Clark's gotta step in here and announce that this is Carl's last year with the team.

Not as in "we're going to retain him as President and CEO and let Bill Kuharich assume the role of GM" - more like "His a$$ is out of here at season's end. I've taken command of my father's beloved team and the search for a new GM will begin in earnest as soon as possible."

dirk digler
10-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Ok this is fucking BS. If this is true why does Carl still have his job this morning? Clark better do something and do something fast.

FAX
10-15-2008, 06:53 AM
It's a weekly show on 810.

Do you recall what day and time, Mr. BigRedChief? I've checked their website and it isn't listed anywhere ... nor is Will Shields listed as a personality. They probably haven't updated.

FAX

dirk digler
10-15-2008, 06:55 AM
I feel bad for Tony this was his best chance to get to a SB and Carl just shit on him

BigRedChief
10-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Do you recall what day and time, Mr. BigRedChief? I've checked their website and it isn't listed anywhere ... nor is Will Shields listed as a personality. They probably haven't updated.

FAX
Maybe its 610? But I'm almost positive it's on 810. It's a new weekly one hour show that started this year.

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 06:57 AM
So you are saying Carl's ego couldn't let Tony get the trade that HE wanted? No way. Carl will say that he feels the Giants will win the Superbowl with Tony and their 3rd would've amounted to a 4th.

I'm taking Herm's comments about this not reflecting in anyway on him as a means of distancing himself from Carl. Herm would've taken a 3rd from anyone.

Yep, and I agree 100% on your assessment of Herm.

It's been Clash of the Retarded Titans since the day Clark sided with Herm and took some of Carl's stick away when it came to draft/football decisions, IMO.

Yes, Herm is a terrible coach. But he should be pissed. He has a team of young guys he's trying to prepare to play an undefeated team, and this becomes even more of a distraction than it was a week ago.

TEX
10-15-2008, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't have traded Tony for anything less than a 2nd. And I wouldn't have cared who was pissed about it either. I would have demanded at least what the Giants got for Shocky. TG is better even though he's older.

KCUnited
10-15-2008, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't have traded Tony for anything less than a 2nd. And I wouldn't have cared who was pissed about it either. I would have demanded at least what the Giants got for Shocky. TG is better even though he's older.

Tony Gonzalez: "Nobody is going to trade a second (-round pick) for a 32-year-old tight end."

But you know what Tony is worth in the NFL more than he does.

patteeu
10-15-2008, 07:08 AM

FAX

I don't know that he has a show of his own, but he's a regular guest (once per week for an extended interview) on the Soren Petro show. Sorry I can't recall which day it is, but it's probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

FAX
10-15-2008, 07:10 AM

I think he's worth more too, Mr. TEX, but then I'm prejudiced. But, the relative value of Tony aside, apparently Carl and Herm had an internal "deal" that they would take the Giants' offer. So, it all boiled down to Carl's ego at the end and he succeeded in pissing off both Herm and Gonzo in one fell swoop. Not bad.

FAX

tmax63
10-15-2008, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't of of done the trade for a late round third either. The odds of finding a starting TE at the 100th pick of the draft aren't that good much less a top-5 TE in the NFL. He's getting paid pretty damn well and to give him away just because he wants to go to a contender doesn't make it a reasonable deal for the Chiefs. Multiple picks or a better offer was needed. Allen's deal was good for the Chiefs, this would of been bad.

PastorMikH
10-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Who are the others?

LJ?

McIntosh?

Surtain?

Huard?

My guess is any vet that's been around long enough to see through the crap Herm's trying to sell and is voicing their opinions about it.

I really feel this is the primary reason Green isn't here anymore.

dirk digler
10-15-2008, 07:19 AM
I think he's worth more too, Mr. TEX, but then I'm prejudiced. But, the relative value of Tony aside, apparently Carl and Herm had an internal "deal" that they would take the Giants' offer. So, it all boiled down to Carl's ego at the end and he succeeded in pissing off both Herm and Gonzo in one fell swoop. Not bad.

FAX

Yep that is pretty much it Fax.

Tony is probably worth a second maybe but they should have took the Giants deal. It was the best they could have gotten and it is a win-win for all parties.

Now it is a cluster bomb waiting to explode.

CoMoChief
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
**** this team. Seriously.

Carl is ****ing out of his mind. TonyG is the only thing he really has left and his ego wouldn't allow the trade to go thru.

**** this team.......that's the last straw. I am now turning heel.

FAX
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
My guess is any vet that's been around long enough to see through the crap Herm's trying to sell and is voicing their opinions about it.

We are like-minded on this issue, Mr. PastorMikH. It's mutual though, I think. It's pretty clear that Herm wants to rid the locker-room of anyone who doesn't buy what he's selling.

Unfortunately (and to paraphrase Job), Herm's greatest fears hath befallen him.

FAX

milkman
10-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't of of done the trade for a late round third either. The odds of finding a starting TE at the 100th pick of the draft aren't that good much less a top-5 TE in the NFL. He's getting paid pretty damn well and to give him away just because he wants to go to a contender doesn't make it a reasonable deal for the Chiefs. Multiple picks or a better offer was needed. Allen's deal was good for the Chiefs, this would of been bad.

Jason Witten was a third round pick.
Randy McMichael was a fourth round pick.
Antonio Gates was an undrafted FA.

Rausch
10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
**** this team. Seriously.

Carl is ****ing out of his mind. TonyG is the only thing he really has left and his ego wouldn't allow the trade to go thru.

**** this team.......that's the last straw. I am now turning heel.

I would have been this pissed HAD we traded him.

That said, Carl even found a way to fuck up Gono staying...

ChiTown
10-15-2008, 07:40 AM
a 3rd rdr for a 32 yr old TE at the tail end of his career is not only fair but completely worth it - especially given the fact that said 32 yr older wants out of KC.

How could this not have made sense to Carl? Oh yeah, he's a fucking cocksucker and a prick. I almost forgot..................:doh!:

Rausch
10-15-2008, 07:43 AM

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/demotivation.jpg

Pushead2
10-15-2008, 07:44 AM
a 3rd rdr for a 32 yr old TE at the tail end of his career is not only fair but completely worth it - especially given the fact that said 32 yr older wants out of KC.

How could this not have made sense to Carl? Oh yeah, he's a ****ing one who sucks the penis and a prick. I almost forgot..................:doh!:

Couldn't agree more, just when you thought things couldn't get any lower in the King Carl saga....

KCUnited
10-15-2008, 07:46 AM

Do you think we could've improved the Oline with a 3rd? Do you think we could improve at WR with an extra 3rd? There are at least 7 other positions on the field I'd rather have an all pro at than TE. This notion that we have to replace TG with the pick we get for him is unreasonable.

Instead we got an angry and baffled TE who still wants to leave and now has to explain himself to the other guys on the team. We got an obviously angered coach who knows he can't trust his GM. And we got a locker room of young guys who are like WTF? Sounds like the Chiefs were winners in this deal.

Radar Chief
10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
So, why is Tony suddenly a “locker room cancer”?
He seemed perfectly fine with the whole rebuilding thing at the beginning of the season, if we’re to believe what he was saying at the time that is. Why the sudden switch?
Does it have more to do with Tony or Herm? I know I have my opinion as to the root cause and I’m glad Tony is still a Chief. Can’t say that about Herm though.

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Do you think we could've improved the Oline with a 3rd? Do you think we could improve at WR with an extra 3rd? There are at least 7 other positions on the field I'd rather have an all pro at than TE. This notion that we have to replace TG with the pick we get for him is unreasonable.

Instead we got an angry and baffled TE who still wants to leave and now has to explain himself to the other guys on the team. We got an obviously angered coach who knows he can't trust his GM. And we got a locker room of young guys who are like WTF? Sounds like the Chiefs were winners in this deal.

Good post.

tmax63
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
KC I understand what your saying. I didn't mean a replacement TE only but with only 1 pick you fill the hole you made or another hole but not both. Gems can be found throughout the draft and in UDFA. I just think that the odds are stacked even farther against you the later in the draft you get and unless you get 2 rolls of the dice (picks) or something comparable to a top-5 TE. He should still have 2-4 years left in the tank and he does take care of himself, no history of injuries, class act, etc. etc. etc.

Sure-Oz
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Stupid, esp. if the Giants offered a 3rd...

Carl will go down in flames till the end...and our owner better say something. Tony Gonzalez doesn't need to be here, he should've been traded, hell swap picks if needed or throw in a late rounder if it took that to get a 3rd or a bit more. We don't need players pissy or upset with others, they need to be focusing on getting better, even if we suck ass right now.

SAUTO
10-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Maybe there will be a division between herm and carl which will lead to herm at least being gone, he's the one screwing up this team ON THE FIELD. if it wasnt for herm TG probably wouldnt have wanted traded in the first place. Carl says he will be gone next year anyways, so hopefully he gets rid nof herm 1st. REMEMBER IT IS "KING CARL" noone undermines HIS authority.lol

Mr. Arrowhead
10-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Maybe there will be a division between herm and carl which will lead to herm at least being gone, he's the one screwing up this team ON THE FIELD. if it wasnt for herm TG probably wouldnt have wanted traded in the first place. Carl says he will be gone next year anyways, so hopefully he gets rid nof herm 1st. REMEMBER IT IS "KING CARL" noone undermines HIS authority.lol
yea thats brilliant, so we can just let Carl pick our next head coach
Gregg Robinson here we come

TrebMaxx
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Where is Clark at this time of disarray? Not a peep. Would be nice to have an owner that would recognize the mess this team is in right now and make a statement. I don't really want a hands on owner that is so intrusive as Jerry Jones or Al Davis, but really, most of the other owners in the league would have stepped in by now to right the ship. It appears this organization is weak, top to bottom IMHO.

SBK
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
If we really got offered a 3rd by 2 teams, it's insane to think we didn't move. Carl is an idiot.

We've got so much money wrapped up in positions that should be filled on the cheap. Seriously, a TE, even the best ever, isn't as important as people make it out to be. Get a guy who can block, and catch a few passes here and there and you're good.

mikey23545
10-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Oh what a bunch of shit. A bunch of internet assholes led by the usual King Asshole getting all worked up over a bunch of unfounded rumors.

Some of you need to get a life.

DTLB58
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM

I'm torn, Yesterday at 3 I was glad Tony was still a Chief.

But I must say, I also agree with this post.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Packers also offered a 3rd according to 810

HC_Chief
10-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Where is Clark at this time of disarray? Not a peep. Would be nice to have an owner that would recognize the mess this team is in right now and make a statement. I don't really want a hands on owner that is so intrusive as Jerry Jones or Al Davis, but really, most of the other owners in the league would have stepped in by now to right the ship. It appears this organization is weak, top to bottom IMHO.

In TX.

bowener
10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
No names were mentioned but 810 am this morning said that Brain Waters on Will Shields radio show last week said there there were many unhappy people in the locker room but he wouldn't go into details when pressed. And Tank has already been public about his view.

I'd be pissed if all the players were not unhappy. This is absolute shit. The players put forth the effort (I assume) and expect to be lead by somebody who has a fucking clue; instead they get Corky.

SBK
10-15-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm torn, Yesterday at 3 I was glad Tony was still a Chief.

But I must say, I also agree with this post.

This is where I am.

But I wouldn't be mad if we got a 3rd for him, we need to completely turn the roster over so I sort of hope we trade him, and whoever else from the Vermiel days that we can get a pick or 2 for and speed things up.

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Ok this is fucking BS. If this is true why does Carl still have his job this morning? Clark better do something and do something fast.

If by fast you mean January 2010, I think you'll get your wish.

mrbiggz
10-15-2008, 10:05 AM
We could probably fetch more in the offseason for Tony G.

This is about what is best for the team and the answere in this situation was to keep Tony and deal him in the offseason for multiple picks.

boogblaster
10-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Par for Carl ... Gonzo wanted out, a third was cheap but WTF ... We need a shit-house cleaning from top to bottom ... Hell the water-boys are probably disfunks too ...

Radar Chief
10-15-2008, 10:23 AM
This is where I am.

But I wouldn't be mad if we got a 3rd for him, we need to completely turn the roster over so I sort of hope we trade him, and whoever else from the Vermiel days that we can get a pick or 2 for and speed things up.

If I knew that someone else would be in charge of rebuilding this team I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it being gutted.
For now, I’m glad Tony is still a Chief.

Chiefnj2
10-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Tons of rumors swirling around. I read that Harlan said GB offered a 3rd.

milkman
10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

If that were true, Carl would have to be an idiot to have refused that offer.

beach tribe
10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
We could probably fetch more in the offseason for Tony G.

This is about what is best for the team and the answere in this situation was to keep Tony and deal him in the offseason for multiple picks.

I don't think so. He will be a season older, probably won't put up great #s this year, and I would be willing to bet we trade him for 3rd after this season.

FringeNC
10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Wasn't Carl hanging with Clark down at the team meetings? If so, Clark had to know what was going on, and he himself may have vetoed the trade. What the implications of that is, I don't know, but I don't think it can good news for Herm.

Rausch
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
If we really got offered a 3rd by 2 teams, it's insane to think we didn't move. Carl is an idiot.

I want the names of two HOF players that are gauranteed to be sitting there in round 3.

LOCKS.

Someone who comes in day one and dominates, and how our reh-tahr-dehd staff manages to blindly stumble upon their greatness and drafts them.

Because that's what it'd take to be an "even/equal" trade. Value for value, worth for worth.

Take your time, I'll check back tomorrow...

FAX
10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Wasn't Carl hanging with Clark down at the team meetings? If so, Clark had to know what was going on, and he himself may have vetoed the trade. What the implications of that is, I don't know, but I don't think it can good news for Herm.

There's an interesting thought. I doubt it, though. Clark's been pretty hands-off. Unfortunately for all of us.

This has all the qualities of a Carl deal. Very similar to what happened with Trent, as Mr. Laz mentioned.

FAX

Bob Dole
10-15-2008, 10:38 AM
It's pretty clear that Herm wants to rid the locker-room of anyone who doesn't buy what he's selling.

Too bad that translates to getting rid of anyone with a lick of sense.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Carl did the right thing. He'd just blow the third rounder.

FringeNC
There's an interesting thought. I doubt it, though. Clark's been pretty hands-off. Unfortunately for all of us.

This has all the qualities of a Carl deal. Very similar to what happened with Trent, as Mr. Laz mentioned.

FAX

Yeah, but in this one instance, they were together, and there was ONE decision to make. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think it sends a pretty strong message that Herm is gone soon. I just can't believe the topic didn't come up between them.

OnTheWarpath15
I want the names of two HOF players that are gauranteed to be sitting there in round 3.

LOCKS.

Someone who comes in day one and dominates, and how our reh-tahr-dehd staff manages to blindly stumble upon their greatness and drafts them.

Because that's what it'd take to be an "even/equal" trade. Value for value, worth for worth.

Brad -

Why do we HAVE to replace him with another HOF'er?

The guy isn't going to play forever.

I think people are looking at this long term.

I can GUARANTEE that if/when this franchise plays in a Super Bowl, that Tony Gonzalez won't be on the roster.

I can't say that about the player we would have pick with that 3rd rounder.

Sure, there's a possiblity that pick is botched, and never plays in the league. But really, where's the risk? Tony won't be here in 2-3 years either.

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Carl did the right thing. He'd just blow the third rounder.

Who said Carl will be the one making the selection?

Chiefnj2
10-15-2008, 10:43 AM

LOCKS.

If possible try to take emotion out of the analysis.

Gonzo wants out. The team is headed nowhere this year. Does it really matter if he finshes out this year? I think there is a great likelihood he will seek a trade after this season or retire. Does the potential of a 3rd round draft pick outweigh the positives of having disgruntled Gonzalez play out the rest of the 2008 season?

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Gonzo wants out. The team is headed nowhere this year. Does it really matter if he finshes out this year? I think there is a great likelihood he will seek a trade after this season or retire. Does the potential of a 3rd round draft pick outweigh the positives of having disgruntled Gonzalez play out the rest of the 2008 season?

Well said.

Radar Chief
10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, but in this one instance, they were together, and there was ONE decision to make. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think it sends a pretty strong message that Herm is gone soon. I just can't believe the topic didn't come up between them.

Gawd I hope so.

SAUTO
10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
yea thats brilliant, so we can just let Carl pick our next head coach
Gregg Robinson here we come

huh, carl picked GR??? i always thought that was dicky. i CANT believe that carl liked our d back then. also i feel as though what i said is the ONLY way we see herm go this season

BigRedChief
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Yep, its in the GB papers now.

Seems to me that my source was probably right again.:clap:

KChiefs1
10-15-2008, 06:28 PM

:clap:

Cornstock
10-15-2008, 06:48 PM

Being the professional he is I would expect nothing less from tony than that he puts it aside and plays out the year to the best of his abilities. Hell it may even fuel him (hopefully resulting in an increase of trade value, but doubtful). Should he be pissed? Sure, but if that speach to the team had the effect it sounds like it did, I dont see it affecting the team that much. But we will find out soon enough.

BigRock
10-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Tony specifically wanted to go to the Giants. He has said that Carl told him a third rounder would get it done. If the Giants offered a 3rd round pick and Carl turned it down, Tony would have pulled a Chris Benoit by now.

Rain Man
10-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Brad -

Why do we HAVE to replace him with another HOF'er?

The guy isn't going to play forever.

I think people are looking at this long term.

I can GUARANTEE that if/when this franchise plays in a Super Bowl, that Tony Gonzalez won't be on the roster.

I can't say that about the player we would have pick with that 3rd rounder.

Sure, there's a possiblity that pick is botched, and never plays in the league. But really, where's the risk? Tony won't be here in 2-3 years either.

The odds are that a third-rounder won't work out. A bust in the third round isn't a botch, it's the expected outcome. The unusual outcome is that the third rounder eventually starts, and the exceedingly rare outcome is that the third rounder becomes a star.

I'd rather have 2 or 3 years of a star than 4 years of a backup.

SBK
10-15-2008, 08:52 PM

LOCKS.

If that 3rd round pick turns into a solid starter which one will still be on the team in 3-4 years?

The guy wants out of here, and you had good offers to let him go. Should have taken them.

And I'm a guy that would love to see Tony ride off into the sunset like Jerome Bettis did, only doing it with the same team that drafted him. I just don't think we'll be good enough that soon.

Boris The Great
10-15-2008, 09:42 PM
The Giants best offer was a 4th rounder. That has been reported lots of places.

Skip Towne
10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
The Giants best offer was a 4th rounder. That has been reported lots of places.

A Giant's 4th rounder is practically a 5th.

chagrin
10-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Makes sense.

is this a fact or are you just speculating - Carl turned it down, not Tony right?

gta0012
10-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Dude 3rd rounder would have been gold for TG.

Were going to end up trading him in the off season for a 4th :/

Hootie
10-16-2008, 05:47 AM
Jason Witten was a third round pick.
Randy McMichael was a fourth round pick.
Antonio Gates was an undrafted FA.

you were doing good until you cited Randy McMichael...

beach tribe
10-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Dude 3rd rounder would have been gold for TG.

Were going to end up trading him in the off season for a 4th :/

We'll get a 3rd if we're LUCKY.

I mean, when does Tony turn 33 exactly?

InChiefsHeaven
10-16-2008, 07:41 AM
From what they said in the KC Star, the offer from I believe the Giants was conditional on other things, including us giving up future draft picks if TG didn't finish his contract. It wasn't like "Hey, we'll give you a 3rd round pick" it was more like "OK, we'll give you a third round pick, but we want guaranteed compensation in the form of future draft picks if TG doesn't finish his contract". In this case, CP was probably right.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2008, 08:21 AM
PACKERS THOUGHT THEY HAD A DEAL FOR GONZALEZ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/15/packers-thought-they-had-a-deal-for-gonzalez/)

Posted by Mike Florio on October 15, 2008, 11:33 p.m.
Wow.
Not only were the Packers serious players for Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, but the Pack also thought they had a deal.
According to Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal, the Packers drew up the paperwork (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/309733) that would have sent a third-round pick to Kansas City for Gonzalez, only to have the Chiefs back out ten minutes before the 4:00 p.m. EDT trading deadline, and demand a second-round pick.
Per Wilde, the Packers and Eagles offered a third-round selection for Gonzalez, and the Giants tendered a fourth-rounder.
The Falcons and Bills were willing to do more, but Gonzalez wanted to play for neither team.
Currently, the Falcons and the Bills have better records than the Packers and the Eagles. In either Atlanta or Buffalo, Gonzalez would have been greeted as a superhero, and we’re baffled by his reluctance to play for either team.
We’re even more baffled by the misguided decision by Carl Peterson to pull a last-second power play. An unrestrained ego is a dangerous thing, and Peterson now must deal with a locker room full of players who realize that, if King Carl is willing to screw Gonzalez, any of them could get equal or lesser treatment.

bobbything
10-16-2008, 08:28 AM
We’re even more baffled by the misguided decision by Carl Peterson to pull a last-second power play.
We're not.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
is this a fact or are you just speculating - Carl turned it down, not Tony right?

Tony turned down a trade to Buffalo. Fact.

In the time since I made that post, it has come out that another team offered a 3rd as well, and that Carl' turned it down.

What I was saying, is that if Buffalo was the ONLY team to offer a 3rd, (which they weren't, as we've since found out) and Tony turned down a chance to go there, he'd have no right to bitch about being traded.

Obviously, at lot has happened since that post - seems like the Packers thought they had a deal, and Carl backed out. THAT'S what Tony is pissed about.

Brock
10-16-2008, 08:36 AM
He didn't want to go to Buffalo, but Green Bay is okay? Whatever, Tony.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2008, 08:40 AM
He didn't want to go to Buffalo, but Green Bay is okay? Whatever, Tony.

I'm having an even harder time drawing up any sympathy for his cause, now that I found out he turned down TWO teams.

He basically pulled a Trent Green and tried to dictate where he was going to be traded.

Carl's a schmuck for not sending him to GB, but Tony's not completely innocent in all this either...

bobbything
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
He basically pulled a Trent Green and tried to dictate where he was going to be traded.
According to Trent Green, Carl told him to find a team that would want him. So, he found the Dolphins.

Al Bundy
10-16-2008, 09:33 AM
This is Carl's way of sinking the Chiefs completely because of his disdain for the fanbase.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2008, 10:20 AM
According to Trent Green, Carl told him to find a team that would want him. So, he found the Dolphins.

Yes, but there were other teams that were interested as well. Trent found A team. Carl found others.

Miami is the only place Trent was WILLING to go, and you don't have a whole lot of leverage when the team you're negotiating with knows they don't have to compete with anyone else for his services.

Frosty
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Carl's a schmuck for not sending him to GB, but Tony's not completely innocent in all this either...

One of the articles I saw floating around about this claimed that the 3rd from GB had a lot of conditions attached to it, like the Chiefs sending picks to GB if Tony didn't play 3 more years, if Tony didn't get so many catches, etc. If true, I don't blame Carl for backing out.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
One of the articles I saw floating around about this claimed that the 3rd from GB had a lot of conditions attached to it, like the Chiefs sending picks to GB if Tony didn't play 3 more years, if Tony didn't get so many catches, etc. If true, I don't blame Carl for backing out.

If that is true, then I don't blame him either.

Bowser
10-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Link?*

*obligatory

Frosty
10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Link?*

*obligatory

Crap. I figured someone would make me look to see where I saw that.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/843198.html

Green Bay offered a third-round pick for Gonzalez and was willing to pay Gonzalez’s salary for the remaining 3˝ years of his contract. But a league source said Wednesday that the Packers’ offer included conditions the Chiefs weren’t willing to take on, such as sending future Kansas City draft picks to Green Bay if Gonzalez didn’t play out his contract or meet pre-established playing-time expectations.

Gonzalez, who was not privy to the conditions, said Wednesday that he thought the deal fell apart because Peterson insisted on receiving a second-rounder

Bowser
10-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Better link?

:D

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2008, 10:57 AM

I can see it coming.

"That's bullshit, Babb is just covering for Carl"

Frosty
10-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Better link?

:D

Okay (http://www.scifiupdates.com/home/content/view/423/85/)

Bowser
10-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Okay (http://www.scifiupdates.com/home/content/view/423/85/)

Well done. take the rest of the day off with pay.

Frosty
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Well done. take the rest of the day off with pay.

I pretty much am. I'm the only one in the office today.:D

Dylan
10-16-2008, 11:25 AM

FAX

The deal did not stop there.

Dylan
10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Par for Carl ... Gonzo wanted out, a third was cheap but WTF ... We need a shit-house cleaning from top to bottom ... Hell the water-boys are probably disfunks too ...

Follow the posts. ...

milkman
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
you were doing good until you cited Randy McMichael...

McMichael as a Dolphin was playing at a PB level.

Since he's been with the Rams, he's had a hard time of it, but I put that on the Rams just as much as McMichael.