PDA

View Full Version : Computers Computer problem: Need help!

10-15-2008, 06:28 AM
I started my home pc up last night and had the power go out while it was booting up. anyways, when the power comes back on I go to start the pc up and I get a blue screen saying it's unbootable?

I hit F5 and did safe mode start up =no good. last known configuration of Windows= no good.

I still have my old XP disk from 2003 and I believe there's a way to do a fix it diagnostic with that cd. does anybody know the procedures for this? or any other way to fix this without reinstalling XP?

Thanks! any help is appreciated.

DaFace
10-15-2008, 06:54 AM
You can try doing a repair installation. That works on occasion. But you might try running chkdsk first, which can also be done from the CD.

I'm running out the door right now, so I'll either let you google how to do it or someone else chime in. "repair install xp" and "chkdsk recovery console" should get you what you need on Google.

KCCHIEFS27
10-15-2008, 06:34 PM
It is not bootable or has an unmountable boot volume?

Hammock Parties
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Was it a thunderstorm? You might have fried something on the mobo.

10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
It is not bootable or has an unmountable boot volume?
Unbootable
Was it a thunderstorm? You might have fried something on the mobo.

No, just a power outage during start up.

I haven't been able to boot up at all. I have to get my hands on that xp disk and go into the cd rom drive and try a fix it diagnostic. if that doesmn't work im gonna have to try and reinstall windows..yay!!

DaFace
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd bet a chkdsk /r will take care of it. Sounds like your boot record got hosed.

11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Just to update..I got the XP disk and did a chk dsk on it, a command prompt and entered chkdsk :/p and 3 hours later she started right up. thanks to all involved.

DaFace
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Just to update..I got the XP disk and did a chk dsk on it, a command prompt and entered chkdsk :/p and 3 hours later she started right up. thanks to all involved.

Excellent. I figured that'd do it.