PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gonzalez meets with KC teammates, says all’s well

Sure-Oz
10-15-2008, 03:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-gonzalez&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gonzalez meets with KC teammates, says all’s well
By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer 51 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Tony Gonzalez held a players-only meeting with his teammates Wednesday to assure them he’s not bitter the Kansas City Chiefs failed to trade him to a contender.

The nine-time Pro Bowler admitted, however, he first felt “betrayed” that the Chiefs had not made a deal before the NFL trade deadline Tuesday.

“Initially, yes,” he said. “I thought, `I can’t believe this. It’s a lie.’ But then the more I think about it, the more I calm down.”

Gonzalez said he asked to meet with the other Chiefs to make sure the young players knew it’s about “being the best football player you can be no matter what the situation is.”

Gonzalez, 32, holds virtually every NFL receiving record for tight ends. He asked to be traded to a contender because he felt the rebuilding Chiefs (1-4) were not likely to reach championship caliber in the years he has left.

He described the past few days as “a high-stress situation.”

“It was a sad situation. It was confusing. I thought a deal was going to get struck. When it came and went, I was somewhat shocked that it didn’t go down.”

He said the team was understanding.

“All I want to do is play football and win football games. That’s what I told my teammates today. They understand it. I think the fans understand. I’ve been here 12 years. I’ve given everything I have.”

Gonzalez said he heard the Chiefs were offered a third-round pick for him, but Carl Peterson, the team’s president and general manager, told The Associated Press no team had “come close” to any reasonable offer.

“I was with (owner) Clark Hunt through this whole thing and we didn’t have any offer that would match the value of losing Tony Gonzalez,” said Peterson, who was en route from NFL meetings in Florida.

Peterson declined to say specifically what was offered.

“He may have a different opinion of his value. But we value him very, very highly,” he said. “We didn’t get anything close to what was appropriate. I didn’t really expect to. But I respected his request to see if there were teams that were interested and ones he had an interest in.”

Gonzalez said that when he signed a five-year contract extension in January 2007 he did not know the Chiefs were going to release most of their veterans and begin a youth movement. They are the youngest team in the league, and have 15 rookies on their roster.

“Why would I want to sign a long-term deal at the end of my career with a rebuilding year? Things probably would have been different,” Gonzalez said. “I think this team is going in the right direction. They’ve got some great young talent on this team, but they are rebuilding.”

Peterson also noted Gonzalez’s contract.

“We made a commitment in February of 2007, a five-year extension for $17.5 million guaranteed dollars,” he said. “A commitment was what we hoped Tony would finish his career as a Chief. At the time, he and (his agent) absolutely agreed with that.”

Peterson did agree with his star tight end that it was time for all parties to move on.

“It didn’t pan out,” he said. “I didn’t have a lot of anticipation it would, very frankly.”

Mr. Flopnuts
10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm good with that. I'm pretty sure the reason this whole thing got "leaked" is because Tony tried to push Carl's hand knowing full well the backlash if this happened. To Carl's credit he determined the value and didn't receive a good enough offer. Good on him this time. JMO.

CoMoChief
10-15-2008, 03:56 PM
BULLSHIT......all is not well.

he's just being nice and keeping his mouth shut, we all know exactly what he wants to say.

And if it were me and I had the stature that he has.......I'd fucking bash Carl so much he'd leave fucking KC after the season.

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
BULLSHIT......all is not well.

he's just being nice and keeping his mouth shut, we all know exactly what he wants to say.

And if it were me and I had the stature that he has.......I'd fucking bash Carl so much he'd leave fucking KC after the season.

Yeah, because as we all know, Clark Hunt's obligation is to Tony Gonzalez, not the entire Kansas City Chiefs organization.

:rolleyes:

CoMoChief
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, because as we all know, Clark Hunt's obligation is to Tony Gonzalez, not the entire Kansas City Chiefs organization.

:rolleyes:

When did I say anything about Clark? just wondering.

ClevelandBronco
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
...Tony Gonzalez held a players-only meeting with his teammates Wednesday to assure them he’s not bitter the Kansas City Chiefs failed to trade him to a contender....

They are the youngest team in the league, and have 15 rookies on their roster...

At this point the only people who have a clue are the players, even with 15 rookies.

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
When did I say anything about Clark? just wondering.

Clark Hunt is the owner of the Chiefs and ultimately, the decision to trade a locked in HOFer is going to need his stamp of approval.

Regardless of Carl's position.

CoMoChief
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Clark Hunt is the owner of the Chiefs and ultimately, the decision to trade a locked in HOFer is going to need his stamp of approval.

Regardless of Carl's position.

Clark doesn't make personnel decisions, thats Carl's job.

Tony wasn't traded because Clark never approved of it.......he wasn't traded because CP is a fucking moron.

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Clark doesn't make personnel decisions, thats Carl's job.

Tony wasn't traded because Clark never approved of it.......he wasn't traded because CP is a fucking moron.

I don't buy that for one fucking second.

Carl works for Clark - not the other way around.

Zouk
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
"I was with (owner) Clark Hunt through this whole thing and we didn't have any offer that would match the value of losing Tony Gonzalez," said Peterson, who was en route from NFL meetings in Florida.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iBDNYCWpiFhSAsu-at_csBuGBJYQD93R5GJO0

CoMoChief
10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't buy that for one ****ing second.

Carl works for Clark - not the other way around.

Clark is about as hands off as an owner as you can get, granted he's said that he wants to be more hands on with the Chiefs, but thats not saying much considering he never was on hands with them to begin with.......Pretty much why Carl holds 4 ****ing job titles.

CupidStunt
10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
It's okayyyy. Clark, Carl ... they're on the same page. Herm, he's just A-OK.

/McCloud

CoMoChief
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
"I was with (owner) Clark Hunt through this whole thing and we didn't have any offer that would match the value of losing Tony Gonzalez," said Peterson, who was en route from NFL meetings in Florida.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iBDNYCWpiFhSAsu-at_csBuGBJYQD93R5GJO0

Yeah they both were at owners meetings in Florida IIRC.

that has nothing to do with the TonyG trade.

Zouk
10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah they both were at owners meetings in Florida IIRC.

that has nothing to do with the TonyG trade.

I don't know how involved he was, but that quote implies that they were considering the offers together. I think they probably were.

Fish
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
You can almost smell the team cohesion......

Rain Man
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Tony G. is way cool. It'd be tough to work for Carl Peterson and show continued class, and I respect him for doing it.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2008, 04:50 PM
“Initially, yes,” he said. “I thought, `I can’t believe this. It’s a lie.’ But then the more I think about it, the more I calm down.”

Gonzo was all...

SHIT! Oh wait, Carl. Ha ha. Ha.... :(

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2008, 05:00 PM
It's okayyyy. Clark, Carl ... they're on the same page. Herm, he's just A-OK.

/McCloud

Again, just go fuck yourself, Doucheweed.

The trade for a 3rd round choice should have completed.

FTR, you don't bring SHIT to this forum.

Well, on second thought....

Reerun_KC
10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
You can almost smell the team cohesion......

It really started to unravel around training camp of 06.... Since then, this franchise and lockeroom have been drifting further and further apart...

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2008, 05:47 PM
It really started to unravel around training camp of 06.... Since then, this franchise and lockeroom have been drifting further and further apart...

I think it probably started a little before then.

Like when Herm was hired over Al Saunders.

Offense versus defense.

Hell, it REALLY probably started to unravel after the loss to the Colts in 2004...

Reerun_KC
10-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Offense versus defense.

Hell, it REALLY probably started to unravel after the loss to the Colts in 2004...

eh, they played pretty strong ball in 05....

I would say the loss to Indy at Indy in 07 really set this franchise back...

Alot of trust and faith between the players and coaches when out the window that day.... That playoff loss was devastating to the morale and future of this franchise...

ClevelandBronco
10-15-2008, 05:52 PM

Offense versus defense.

They gave up a player in order to avoid hiring Al.

Geniuses.

Reerun_KC
10-15-2008, 05:52 PM
They gave up a player in order to avoid hiring Al.

Geniuses.

No need to kick us while we are down....

ClevelandBronco
10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
No need to kick us while we are down....

It's not you. It's them.