PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is Clark just being diplomatic?

Hammock Parties
10-15-2008, 11:03 PM
He's not dumb, folks. He knows what's going on. I think he's just playing nice for now.

Sure-Oz
10-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I absolutely believe so

Tribal Warfare
10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes, he's keeping his cards close to the vest until it's time to clean house.

Pablo
10-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I hope he's got a pair of balls and isn't afraid to shitcan some clowns at the end of this season.

But that's just hope.

I'll vote yes for now, but it's more wishful thinking than anything.

Coach
We'll see, but why wait until the end of the season, where you can already just abort the damn thing right now? It's not like we're going to the playoffs anyways.

OnTheWarpath15
That's exactly what he's doing.

I think his word choices tell me everything I need to know.

Carl and Herm get pink slips in January.

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2008, 11:09 PM
We'll see, but why wait until the end of the season, where you can already just abort the damn thing right now? It's not like we're going to the playoffs anyways.

What's the difference?

If it's done right, there won't be a single member of this staff left come January.

What's the point in giving another guy that's getting the axe as well the job for the next 11 weeks?

Hammock Parties
10-15-2008, 11:09 PM

It's not really the right thing to do for the young players. If we promote Gunther, Gailey or god forbid, Dick Curl as interim head coach, the players are going to start tuning everything out...we could have off-the-field incidents...it might retard the development of any number of players.

Best to just let Herm finish it out and then dump him and Carl.

KcMizzou
10-15-2008, 11:12 PM
You have to wait till the off-season.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if Carl stayed to over see the Arrowhead renovation.

Coach
10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
It's not really the right thing to do for the young players. If we promote Gunther, Gailey or god forbid, Dick Curl as interim head coach, the players are going to start tuning everything out...we could have off-the-field incidents...it might retard the development of any number of players.

Not necessary. Would be better to have Gailey be the interm and Cunther staying put, since there are no other options out there anyways. Even that, I do question if they are "buying" the system that Herm is trying to sell to them, since it's painfully obvious that it's not working.

Then the real total rebuild will begin with a new GM and a new HC. I am not in favor for a rebuild with a failed regime that only has 2 years left on their contracts (may be shorter if they are lucky to survive this season) only to see a new GM and HC, who philosophies are much different than what Carl and Herm's are, that they'll have to re-purge the damn roster again, and find players that fits THEIR philosophy.

Coach
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, and as for Clark being diplomatic:

McHunt campaign slogan "A Leader we can believe in"

ClevelandBronco
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
What a brilliant move. Wait until the deadline passes and do nothing.

Seems like many here were recommending that.

What is Carl getting paid?

JuicesFlowing
10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
The Chiefs might be screwed for a long, long time. It's all about company men and yes men ... Clark Hunt is too loyal to cronies.

triple
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
i hope so. that blog post i read earlier about Carl helping pick his successor made me want to neuter myself with a pair of pliers.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Seemed like PR to me. You really cant throw everybody under the bus in the public eye and still want to win the rest of the year. That is just setting everything up into a even bigger mess.

Ultra Peanut
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I hope so.

Donger
10-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Carl's had how many years? Do you really think that one more is that big a deal (from Clark's POV)?

KCheavy
10-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I really jus hope clark knows what he's doing and is fooling the hell out of me cause it seems to me that he is clueless

SDChief
10-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I think it may be possible that he takes GM away from carl this offseason, and let him oversee the Predident/CEO part of his job title to finish out his contract. That would kinda take carl to the end of remodeling arrowhead. I think Clark might do that as kind of a way to let Carl go the way his father would have, but still get him away from the product on the field.
If you think about it, with all the construction going on, it's kind of a good time to go in the tank, because the smaller crowds are probably a little easier to handle.
I think herm is here for a little while longer. I think Herm is knee deep in this rebuild and Clark is going to give him a couple of years to see if he can turn it. I'm not saying he's right to do so, but that's kinda what I see as a possible outcome this offseason.

Coach
10-17-2008, 08:48 PM
How can Clark be diplomatic if he has already told Carl to have a successor after the end of the 2009 season?

Not much of a diplomatic there.

Ebolapox
10-17-2008, 08:52 PM
...What is Carl getting paid?

as always, he's paid in the blood of the innocent. that's what his kind feeds on.

Iowanian
10-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Obama for GM.

I hope for change.

2bikemike
10-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I think Clark Hunt is his fathers son. Meaning he will be loyal to a fault. Peterson may be gone at the end of the year but it will be CP's choice and not Clark's

Man I hope I am wrong!

beach tribe
10-18-2008, 04:12 AM
He's not dumb, folks. He knows what's going on. I think he's just playing nice for now.

You're right. He's not dumb. He knew before the season started that we were going to suck ass. He knew this was a 16 game pre-season. He knew we had a ton of holes, and that we would not be competitive. He was prepared for it. This team is preparing for 2010. Might as well get used to it. Herm's job is not in jeopardy. Neither is Carl's.

Clark Knows...Carl knows.. Herm knows, AND Tony Knows too.

The only people who don't know, are the people who bought that shit Clark fed them about being competitive this season.

chagrin
10-18-2008, 05:29 AM

YES PLEASE

MichaelH
10-18-2008, 06:34 AM
I'd hate to think someone could be so stupid but his Dad kept Carl around so who knows?

milkman
10-18-2008, 06:48 AM
You're right. He's not dumb. He knew before the season started that we were going to suck ass. He knew this was a 16 game pre-season. He knew we had a ton of holes, and that we would not be competitive. He was prepared for it. This team is preparing for 2010. Might as well get used to it. Herm's job is not in jeopardy. Neither is Carl's.

Clark Knows...Carl knows.. Herm knows, AND Tony Knows too.

The only people who don't know, are the people who bought that shit Clark fed them about being competitive this season.

I think, like many of us, he expected the team to lose a lot of games.

However, I don't believe he expected this team to be absolutely pathetic.

This team does have a lot of holes, but the level of pathetic play acheived here is as much the result of pathetic coaching as it is the talent on the field.

Hunt would have to be every bit as moronic as Herman fucking Edwards if he can't see that.

beach tribe
10-18-2008, 07:17 AM
I think, like many of us, he expected the team to lose a lot of games.

However, I don't believe he expected this team to be absolutely pathetic.

This team does have a lot of holes, but the level of pathetic play acheived here is as much the result of pathetic coaching as it is the talent on the field.

Hunt would have to be every bit as moronic as Herman ****ing Edwards if he can't see that.
I know this may sound crazy to you,

but I would go so far as to say that I believe that this organization does not want to win very many games. It is not a priority. I don't think the W/L column is even close to the top of the list. If it were we would have added some bodies this off-season like we have always done. I've said it before. Clark has looked at the cream of our division, and figured out that if we tank a couple seasons, we can use youth, and a rebuild as acceptable ways of getting to the top of the draft, where game changers are found. Which in turn accomplishes the goal of getting games under the belts of the guys that we found in the last draft. Might I add that a draft like we had in 08 would make a person step back and say "hey, another draft like that, and we could be pretty close" Top that off with enough cap space to sign whatever position you can't draft, and you've got a damn good motive for tanking a season, and a damn good plan to build a winning franchise

Just what if, Clark believes that by halfway through the 2010 season, we will have forgotten all about 07, 08, 09.(if we're 7-1 he would be correct) Attendance hasn't plummeted so his bet has paid off so far. He knows that hosting a PO game will more than make up for a couple years of sub-par attendance, and that hosting the AFCC game will skyrocket the Chiefs. Maybe he's a man with big dreams.

The only problem, is that if he does accomplish such a feat, he has to realize that Herman Edwards will never take his talent where he wants it to go.

milkman
10-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I know this may sound crazy to you,

but I would go so far as to say that I believe that this organization does not want to win very many games. It is not a priority. I don't think the W/L column is even close to the top of the list. If it were we would have added some bodies this off-season like we have always done. I've said it before. Clark has looked at the cream of our division, and figured out that if we tank a couple seasons, we can use youth, and a rebuild as acceptable ways of getting to the top of the draft, where game changers are found. Which in turn accomplishes the goal of getting games under the belts of the guys that we found in the last draft. Might I add that a draft like we had in 08 would make a person step back and say "hey, another draft like that, and we could be pretty close" Top that off with enough cap space to sign whatever position you can't draft, and you've got a damn good motive for tanking a season, and a damn good plan to build a winning franchise

Just what if, Clark believes that by halfway through the 2010 season, we will have forgotten all about 07, 08, 09.(if we're 7-1 he would be correct) Attendance hasn't plummeted so his bet has paid off so far. He knows that hosting a PO game will more than make up for a couple years of sub-par attendance, and that hosting the AFCC game will skyrocket the Chiefs. Maybe he's a man with big dreams.

The only problem, is that if he does accomplish such a feat, he has to realize that Herman Edwards will never take his talent where he wants it to go.

I don't think it quite plays out like that.

I think that Clark saw that this team got old, and that it needed a huge infusion of youth and athleticism.

He bought into the youth movement, and while winnng games isn't a priority this year, it is still a goal.

The main goal is to get better as we get younger, and he expected to pay a price in the W/L column, but at the same time he never expected the team to be this pathetic due to inept coaching.

TEX
10-18-2008, 08:37 AM
We're dicked. Clark is going to let Carl and Herm finish out their contracts. Usually people like Clark have way too much patience.

TEX
10-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't think it quite plays out like that.

I think that Clark saw that this team got old, and that it needed a huge infusion of youth and athleticism.

He bought into the youth movement, and while winnng games isn't a priority this year, it is still a goal.

The main goal is to get better as we get younger, and he expected to pay a price in the W/L column, but at the same time he never expected the team to be this pathetic due to inept coaching.

You nailed it. You rebuild the way Atlanta and Miami are. We're doing it like the Natti and the Lions. There is no excuse for the shit we have coaching this team.

cdcox
10-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm really torn on this question. If the Chiefs show improvement at the end of the year, I'm positive Herm will get another year. The question in my mind is what Clark will do if the Chiefs tank the rest of the year? Especially if Croyle get injured again. Based on the decisions that they have made, Herm and Carl seem to think they have immunity from being fired this year.