PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Socom: Confrontation

Mr. Flopnuts
10-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Pretty cool that they've updated the old Socom game. It kicked ass. Problem is, right now the servers are an abortion. Took me 2 hours to load the game onto my hard drive and then actually get logged into the servers. Anyone pick this up?

dj56dt58
10-16-2008, 12:20 AM
didnt know it came out this soon..thanks for the reminder.

Now what's a good excuse to take off work tomorrow?

dj56dt58
10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I enjoy playing this game a lot more than cod

wendy666
10-16-2008, 01:18 AM
i don't know it's updated, i'll get it

Saulbadguy
10-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Played it. Thought it sucked. Deleted.

Lzen
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Xbox Live FTW!!

Mr. Flopnuts
10-16-2008, 08:20 AM
didnt know it came out this soon..thanks for the reminder.

Now what's a good excuse to take off work tomorrow?

Sick? If you've played that card too many times, go with a good old fashioned family emergency.

I enjoy playing this game a lot more than cod

Me too. Socom is the game that got me into first person shooters. Especially playing online.

P.S - To Lzen, PS3 for free FTW!!!!!!! :D

03-26-2009, 05:20 AM
How is this game? Might grab it just for the headset.

TinyEvel
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
How is this game? Might grab it just for the headset.

It's a third-person online-only squad-based shooter. THey've fixed the server issues, but the guys playing on there are pretty elite, clanned-up and familiar with all the maps. So, if you're up for a challenge, I strongly recommend it. If you like to Rambo through maps COD free-for-all style, it will be frustrating.

HC_Chief
03-26-2009, 07:39 AM
It's a third-person online-only squad-based shooter. THey've fixed the server issues, but the guys playing on there are pretty elite, clanned-up and familiar with all the maps. So, if you're up for a challenge, I strongly recommend it. If you like to Rambo through maps COD free-for-all style, it will be frustrating.

No doubt. Ulike COD, it doesn't take half a mag into an opponent's dome to bring him down. This is a "you get shot, you are dead" game. :)

03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
It's a third-person online-only squad-based shooter. THey've fixed the server issues, but the guys playing on there are pretty elite, clanned-up and familiar with all the maps. So, if you're up for a challenge, I strongly recommend it. If you like to Rambo through maps COD free-for-all style, it will be frustrating.oh. well, maybe not then. :doh!:

Pants
03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
No doubt. Ulike COD, it doesn't take half a mag into an opponent's dome to bring him down. This is a "you get shot, you are dead" game. :)

Ever try Hardcore? I suggest you do.

HC_Chief
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Ever try Hardcore? I suggest you do.

In SP mode it blows. You have to unload a full mag into the comp whereas a burst from them = you are dead. Plus that constant respawn shit.... drives me nuts.

COD is a beautiful game with some really great attributes, but it is most definitely not a tactical shooter IMO. It's a gorgeous miltary-based arcade FPS.

SOCOM is closer to a tactical shooter.

My FAVORITE tactical shooter of all time = Operation Flashpoint. Effing brilliant game. It's an open world tactical shooter (meaning you shoot someone, they die; no bunny hopping, no unlimited ammo, no nearly invincible upgrades... no, shoot, dead). In the game you can use any vehicle; not unlike the Battlefield series. Very good game. Overlooked and underrated.

Pants
03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
In SP mode it blows. You have to unload a full mag into the comp whereas a burst from them = you are dead. Plus that constant respawn shit.... drives me nuts.

COD is a beautiful game with some really great attributes, but it is most definitely not a tactical shooter IMO. It's a gorgeous miltary-based arcade FPS.

SOCOM is closer to a tactical shooter.

My FAVORITE tactical shooter of all time = Operation Flashpoint. Effing brilliant game. It's an open world tactical shooter (meaning you shoot someone, they die; no bunny hopping, no unlimited ammo, no nearly invincible upgrades... no, shoot, dead). In the game you can use any vehicle; not unlike the Battlefield series. Very good game. Overlooked and underrated.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about MP. If you want a solid tactical shooter that requires the utmost careful planning or you fail - play the old R6 games. The ones before Raven Shield.

HC_Chief
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about MP. If you want a solid tactical shooter that requires the utmost careful planning or you fail - play the old R6 games. The ones before Raven Shield.

Yep, love the R6 games. Ghost Recon too. Old and new.

Pants
03-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Yep, love the R6 games. Ghost Recon too. Old and new.

I admit, sometimes I found the old R6 games a bit challenging, I'd have to go back and re-chart the plans multiple times for things to work like they were supposed to (i.e. no losses)...makes you really appreciate what the folks in real life have to go through and how much skill all that takes (the planning alone). My favorite tactical game of all times is SWAT 3 though. God, that game was so ****ing qual....it just ooozed "that's how it's done in real life".

So what do you dislike about Hardcore COD4 MP?

HC_Chief
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I admit, sometimes I found the old R6 games a bit challenging, I'd have to go back and re-chart the plans multiple times for things to work like they were supposed to (i.e. no losses)...makes you really appreciate what the folks in real life have to go through and how much skill all that takes (the planning alone). My favorite tactical game of all times is SWAT 3 though. God, that game was so ****ing qual....it just ooozed "that's how it's done in real life".

So what do you dislike about Hardcore COD4 MP?

I'm just not much of a MP guy any more. I typically only play with people I know.... got tired of the stupidity of the online gaming community (racist 13yos spouting a constant string of profanities). I game for fun & escapism. :D

If you like tactical shooters you need to check out Operation Flashpoint. They are making a new one; comes out this year.

Pants
03-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm just not much of a MP guy any more. I typically only play with people I know.... got tired of the stupidity of the online gaming community (racist 13yos spouting a constant string of profanities). I game for fun & escapism. :D

If you like tactical shooters you need to check out Operation Flashpoint. They are making a new one; comes out this year.

I've played OPF, but it was a bootlegged copy and pretty buggy as far as I can remember. I remember one mission glitching out on me to where I couldn't advance beyond that point. Was never sure whether that was the game or just a shitty copy, lol. I'll prolly play the 2nd one though.

TinyEvel
03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm just not much of a MP guy any more. I typically only play with people I know.... got tired of the stupidity of the online gaming community (racist 13yos spouting a constant string of profanities).

Is that on LIVE?

03-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Do they have servers for n00bs at all or is it just trial by fire in there?

04-12-2009, 04:04 PM
It's a third-person online-only squad-based shooter. THey've fixed the server issues, but the guys playing on there are pretty elite, clanned-up and familiar with all the maps. So, if you're up for a challenge, I strongly recommend it. If you like to Rambo through maps COD free-for-all style, it will be frustrating.So far, we are getting paired up with a bunch of other level Zeros and hardly anyone uses a mic in this.

there are a few annoying kids with mics though.