PDA

View Full Version : KSU KSU leads Big 12 in graduation rate for athletes

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Kansas State is ranked first among Big 12 schools for all student-athletes in the 2001-02 class, according to the Federal Graduation Rate.
The NCAA announced the latest graduation rate data based upon 2008 reports.
<!-- side boxes go here --> <!-- these can be included in a single master-box or they can be individuals with css controlling float/clear --> <!-- CMS - tools are print, reply, email small icons --> <!-- print -->
K-State had 100 percent graduation rates for men's basketball, men's track and field, women's basketball, women's track and field and men's golf. K-State football was listed as No. 1 with a 67 percent graduation rate.
<!-- pip code here --> http://cjonline.com/06core/img/ads_pipstory.gif <script type="text/javascript">OAS_AD("Middle1");</script>http://imagec11.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/MD_Topka/PIP_TCJ_Apartments.cjonline/pip-promo-for-launch.jpg (http://ads.cjonline.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.cjonline.com/sports/catzone/index.html/L23/102048212/Middle1/MD_Topka/PIP_TCJ_Apartments.cjonline/pip-promo-for-launch.jpg/517a2f7331305961566241414273634e?x)
K-State also led the Big 12 in 2007 with a 75 percent graduation rate for all student-athletes and was No. 1 in the conference in football at 87 percent.

http://cjonline.com/stories/101608/cat_344730950.shtml

Skip Towne
10-16-2008, 07:52 AM
So Beasly graduated in one year?

Saulbadguy
10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the apartment ad. I've been looking!

Lzen
10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
.So Beasly graduated in one year?

Kansas State is ranked first among Big 12 schools for all student-athletes in the 2001-02 class, according to the Federal Graduation Rate.

Skip Towne
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM

You left out the part about "based on 2008 reports"

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM

heh, didn't even notice that....doesn't surprise me, CJOnline makes typos all the time.

Lzen
10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
You left out the part about "based on 2008 reports"

I notice that whenever these graduation rates things come out, it is always based on several years in the past. Not sure why they do that. Also, it is not very telling when they don't take into account successful programs that have players leave early for the pros. ;)

hawkchief
10-16-2008, 08:16 AM
heh, didn't even notice that....doesn't surprise me, CJOnline makes typos all the time.

Wow, referencing 8 year-old community college-level graduation rates used to bolster up a flailing collegiate sports program. Doesn't get much more desperate than that.

Demonpenz
10-16-2008, 08:17 AM
KSU... where D's get you degree's

Lzen
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
College athletes are earning degrees at record rates, according to an NCAA report released Tuesday, and at higher percentages than the overall student body.

New NCAA figures show that 79 percent of all student-athletes who began school in the fall of 2001 and 78 percent who entered college between 1998 and 2001 earned degrees within six years. Both are one-point increases over last year’ and all-time highs.

But there are still issues for those who play men’s basketball, football and baseball ? sports that continue to lag behind student athletes in other sports.

The newest NCAA graduation statistics are significantly higher than statistics compiled by the federal government, which showed 64 percent of student-athletes who started college from 1998 to 2001 graduated in six years. Federal statistics do not include transfer students’ performances (if an athlete enrolls at one school, then transfers to another, neither school receives credit when that athlete graduates but the original school is penalized statistically).

The numbers can be affected by players who turn pro before their senior seasons.

Six schools graduated 100 percent of their student-athletes for the one-year class of 2001-02, according to the report. They were Alcorn State, Campbell, Canisius, Colgate, Manhattan and Valparaiso.

During that same four-year enrollment period, 75 men’s basketball teams failed to graduate half their athletes (including Missouri at 36 percent). A dozen women’s basketball programs had less than 50 percent (including Kansas, 42 percent).

Other notable findings were:

?Nearly half of the Big 12 men’s basketball teams failed to reach 50 percent: Baylor, Colorado, Missouri, Texas and Texas A&M.

?Defending national football champion LSU had a grad rate of 54 percent; defending men’s basketball champ Kansas came in at 64 percent.

Richard Lapchick, who leads the University of Central Florida’s Institute for Diversity and Ethics in sports, says the report is “really good news for college sports.”

Percentage of players who graduate from each sport

Kansas
Football 53
Basketball 64
Women’s Basketball 42
Women’s Volleyball 89

Kansas State
FB 67
BB 67
WBB 83
WVB 100

Missouri
FB 59
BB 36
WBB 83
WVB 67
KC Star (http://www.kansascity.com/166/story/841777.htmll)

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow, referencing 8 year-old community college-level graduation rates used to bolster up a flailing collegiate sports program. Doesn't get much more desperate than that.

somebody's jealous that their 8 year old rates aren't as good.

as far as KSU being community-college level, KSU still leads the nation in several prestigious awards (Rhodes Scholars, etc.) and many, many of our programs are revered amongst industry and score higher than corresponding programs at KU.

All that dick-sucking is really making you a sourpuss HawkChief...

hawkchief
10-16-2008, 09:42 AM
somebody's jealous that their 8 year old rates aren't as good.

as far as KSU being community-college level, KSU still leads the nation in several prestigious awards (Rhodes Scholars, etc.) and many, many of our programs are revered amongst industry and score higher than corresponding programs at KU.

All that dick-sucking is really making you a sourpuss HawkChief...

mikey,

While you cut out and pin up that 8 year-old good-grades article you dug up, on your purple velour wallpaper, I think I'll go and make sure my freshly-minted 2008 NCAA Basketball (Men's) Championship memorabilia is well situated on my mantle, right next to the other 4 KU National Championship stuff I have.

Yea, it looks real nice!

Thanks for playing though.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
mikey,

While you cut out and pin up that 8 year-old good-grades article you dug up, on your purple velour wallpaper, I think I'll go and make sure my freshly-minted 2008 NCAA Basketball (Men's) Championship memorabilia is well situated on my mantle, right next to the other 4 KU National Championship stuff I have.

Yea, it looks real nice!

Thanks for playing though.

:nosmilie:

sorry, I didn't realize EVERY post had to revolve around a championship. my bad.

it's news. It was printed in the Star, in the Capital Journal, and all over. No reason it can't be discussed.

your dick must be really small...

alanm
10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

<table class="dwsmodule" width="100%" bgcolor="#000000" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table class="dwsmodule" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="4" class="bilabel"> NCAA GRADUATION SUCCESS RATES </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Football </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Men's basketball </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Women's basketball </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="3" class="dwsmodule"> BIG 12 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas Tech 79 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Oklahoma St. 92 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas 100 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Nebraska 78 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Nebraska 77 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Nebraska 100 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Baylor 78 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Kansas State 67 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Colorado 100 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Colorado 75 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Kansas 64 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Iowa State 93 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Kansas State 67 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Oklahoma 55 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Oklahoma St. 89 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Oklahoma St. 62 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas Tech 50 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Baylor 88 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Missouri 59 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas A&M 47 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas Tech 83 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas A&M 56 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Baylor 44 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Kansas State 83 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Iowa State 55 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Missouri 36 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Missouri 83 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Kansas 53 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Colorado 36 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Oklahoma 69 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas 50 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas 31 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Texas A&M 67 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Oklahoma 46 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Iowa State 29 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Kansas 42 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="3" class="dwsmodule"> AREA SCHOOLS </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> SMU 78 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> SMU 83 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> SMU 92 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> TCU 67 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> North Texas 65 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> North Texas 89 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> North Texas 58 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> TCU 45 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> TCU 59 </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="3" class="dwsmodule"> NATIONAL AVERAGE </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> 67 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> 62 </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> 82 </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- vstory end --> <!--googleoff: index--> <script type="text/javascript"> function autoFeed(theFeed){ var script = document.createElement('link'); script.type = "application/rss+xml"; script.rel = "alternate" script.title = "SPORTSDAY Top Stories " script.href = "http://www.dallasnews.com/" + theFeed; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } var rssFile = "rss/" var rssLink = ""; var qs = '/newskiosk/rss/dallasnewssports.xml' if (qs.length > 1) { rssFile = qs.substring(1,qs.length); if (rssFile.substring(0,1) == "/") { rssFile = rssFile.substring(1,rssFile.length); } autoFeed(rssFile); } rssLink = "<a href=\"http://www.dallasnews.com/" + rssFile + "\" onClick=\"window.open ('http://www.dallasnews.com/" + rssFile + "','','toolbar=yes, width=500, height=600, left=10,top=10, screenX=500, screenY=200, status=yes, menubar=yes, location=yes, scrollbars=yes, resizable=yes');return false\">"; yahooLink = "<a href=\"http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://www.dallasnews.com/" + rssFile + "\" onClick=\"window.open ('http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://www.dallasnews.com/" + rssFile + "','','toolbar=yes, width=500, height=600, left=10,top=10, screenX=500, screenY=200, status=yes, menubar=yes, location=yes, scrollbars=yes, resizable=yes');return false\">" </script> <style type="text/css"> div#article_tools_bottom a { font-size:9px; } </style> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="margin: 0pt; padding: 3px 0pt; font-size: 10px;" valign="middle">http://www.dallasnews.com/images/ice3/email_icon_whitebk.gif</td> <td style="margin: 0pt; padding: 3px 0pt 3px 3px; font-size: 10px;" valign="middle">

This is from the Dallas Morning News.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/101508dnsponcaagradrates.3dd5e9c.html
</td></tr></tbody></table>

hawkchief
10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
:nosmilie:

sorry, I didn't realize EVERY post had to revolve around a championship. my bad.

it's news. It was printed in the Star, in the Capital Journal, and all over. No reason it can't be discussed.

your dick must be really small...

It's just a little funny that you are compelled to come to a sports-oriented message board evidently seeking validation of you school (it's obviously not happening on the field or court for you) by creating a post concerning 8 year-old data regarding grades. Maybe there should be a College Grades forum on CP for this kind of info?

Maybe it's me, but the KSU grads I've run into in my life haven't much seemed like a group of Rhodes Scholars like you seem to want everyone to believe.

By the way, your incessant interest in my privates is very disturbing.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 10:23 AM
It's just a little funny that you are compelled to come to a sports-oriented message board evidently seeking validation of you school (it's obviously not happening on the field or court for you) by creating a post concerning 8 year-old data regarding grades. Maybe there should be a College Grades forum on CP for this kind of info?

Maybe it's me, but the KSU grads I've run into in my life haven't much seemed like a group of Rhodes Scholars like you seem to want everyone to believe.

it's not 8 years old, that is the class entering 2001, and the NCAA tabulates on a 6 year cycle, so that actually would cover students through 2007.

the report relates to student athletes. Somehow, I'm sure you'd be all over a report if a star KSU player had BAD grades, but since it's good news, it's wrong to post it? I guess we'll just have to settle with Darrell Arthur's suspect grades...

maybe we should have a college athlete legal troubles board as well, I mean, that doesn't have to do with the games either...

BTW, is your name Eric?

hawkchief
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
it's not 8 years old, that is the class entering 2001, and the NCAA tabulates on a 6 year cycle, so that actually would cover students through 2007.

the report relates to student athletes. Somehow, I'm sure you'd be all over a report if a star KSU player had BAD grades, but since it's good news, it's wrong to post it? I guess we'll just have to settle with Darrell Arthur's suspect grades...

maybe we should have a college athlete legal troubles board as well, I mean, that doesn't have to do with the games either...

BTW, is your name Eric?

I really think your grade stuff should go on a "Soil Judging" board somewhere - it would have more relevance to KSU.

Sorry, Eric must be some other guy who's penis you are infatuated with.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I really think your grade stuff should go on a "Soil Judging" board somewhere - it would have more relevance to KSU.

Sorry, Eric must be some other guy who's penis you are infatuated with.

nope, just another retarded KU fan limb salesman, apparently.

DJay23
10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Holy hell, what happened to our women's basketball players? Did they all run off and create a lesbian commune together before they could graduate?

triple
10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
some would say they don't really have 'athletes'

mikeyis4dcats.
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
some would say they don't really have 'athletes'

hey, leave our defense out of this! they didn't hurt anyone!

alanm
10-16-2008, 01:17 PM

It's very relevant because beginning next year those schools at the bottom of the list will start losing scholarships

alanm
10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I believe those schools that are below 70 are the teams in danger of losing scholarships.

ChiTown
10-16-2008, 01:31 PM

LOL

It's funny that you mention KSU Grads and Rhodes Scholars in the same sentence......

* K-State ranks first nationally among state universities in its total of Rhodes, Marshall, Truman, Goldwater, and Udall scholars since 1986.

* Ranking by scholarship among state universities
#1 in all-time Truman scholars
#1 in all-time Goldwater scholars
#2 in Rhodes scholars since 1986
#2 in all-time Udall scholars (tied)
#3 in Marshall scholars since 1986

* Rank (since 1986) among all 2,400 public and private universities
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Stanford
4. Princeton
5. Duke