PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Adam "Yard Gnome" Schefter says Shannon Sharpe is best TE in NFL History

T-post Tom
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
The NFL Network should forbid this idiot from saying anything regarding the AFC West. Today he said that Gonzo isn't the best TE ever because he doesn't know how to win a Super Bowl. :rolleyes: He should be forced to preface every comment with "I worked for The Denver Post for 15 years.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2008, 07:39 PM
He covered Denver for years. He's a biased little Napoleonic prick.

StcChief
10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Where are the numbers in at least same amount of years.

Chiefnj2
10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
It's arguable. Sharpe had a great run when he won the Super Bowl with the Ravens. He had some huge catches in the postseason that year.

T-post Tom
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
It's arguable. Sharpe had a great run when he won the Super Bowl with the Ravens. He had some huge catches in the postseason that year.

Arguable, sure. But when did a TE ever get to or win a SB by himself? Stupid argument for any position other than maybe QB. And even QB is stretching it.

kcxiv
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Tony's huge catch in the post season wasnt called a catch. I am sure everyone remembered that :(

Chiefnj2
10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Arguable, sure. But when did a TE ever get to or win a SB by himself? Stupid argument for any position other than maybe QB. And even QB is stretching it.

Baltimore had very little to no offense and Sharpe's catches and TD's were instrumental in their wins.

T-post Tom
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Baltimore had very little to no offense and Sharpe's catches and TD's were instrumental in their wins.

Did he throw the ball? Did he block the d-linemen on those plays? Did he make tackles on the defensive side? Defend passes? Pressure the opposing qb? Sack the opposing qb? Call plays from the sideline? Rush the ball?

Chiefnj2
10-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Did he throw the ball? Did he block the d-linemen on those plays? Did he make tackles on the defensive side? Defend passes? Pressure the opposing qb? Sack the opposing qb? Call plays from the sideline? Rush the ball?

I think he had a few 50+ yard receptions that went for TDs. I'm sure they didn't have much of an effect on the games. Certainly no more instrumental than all those great playoff performances by Tony.

RealSNR
10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
You look at all the great Super Bowl teams and the great TEs that they had...

Deberg_1990
10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
For better or worse, lack of postseason success will haunt TG until he has some success.

The Hall of fame voters put a huge amount of weight on Super Bowl titles.

luv
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
For better or worse, lack of postseason success will haunt TG until he has some success.

The Hall of fame voters put a huge amount of weight on Super Bowl titles.

"You hold every record known to a TE? Very impressive. What? You ain't got no jew'ry? You suck."

RealSNR
10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
"You hold every record known to a TE? Very impressive. What? You ain't got no jew'ry? You suck."Exactly. Shouldn't it be even MORE impressive that he's been able to set these records early in his career with such shitty teams?

Deberg_1990
10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
"You hold every record known to a TE? Very impressive. What? You ain't got no jew'ry? You suck."

Nobody is saying TG sucks.

luv
10-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Exactly. Shouldn't it be even MORE impressive that he's been able to set these records early in his career with such shitty teams?

And his QB's didn't make him look good. He made his QB's look good.

luv
10-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Nobody is saying TG sucks.

I'm sorry. I seem to have forgotten my /sarcasm. I thought it would be assumed.

milkman
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I think he had a few 50+ yard receptions that went for TDs. I'm sure they didn't have much of an effect on the games. Certainly no more instrumental than all those great playoff performances by Tony.

In the Baltimore run to the SB Shannon Sharpe made a couple of big catches in the first round, and against the Raiders, in close game, he caught quick slant over the middle that he took to the house for a 96 yard TD catch and run.

I believe the score was 10-6 in favor of the Ravens in the middle of the 4th qtr at the time, though my memeory is hazy.

Still, I give Billick more credit for that play than Sharpe.

The Raiders had everyone in the box to stop what they were certain was going to be a handoff to Jamal Lewis on a first and ten at their own 4.

I remember thinking at the time that play illustrated the difference between Marty and Billick.

Phobia
10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
In the Baltimore run to the SB Shannon Sharpe made a couple of big catches in the first round, and against the Raiders, in close game, he caught quick slant over the middle that he took to the house for a 96 yard TD catch and run.

I believe the score was 10-6 in favor of the Ravens in the middle of the 4th qtr at the time, though my memeory is hazy.

Still, I give Billick more credit for that play than Sharpe.

The Raiders had everyone in the box to stop what they were certain was going to be a handoff to Jamal Lewis on a first and ten at their own 4.

I remember thinking at the time that play illustrated the difference between Marty and Billick.
This is a quality post. Best post I've seen on this site in months. Really.

manchambo
10-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Nobody said that. And nobody said that he won't be a first ballot hall of famer.

The question was: who is the best TE of all time?

Try to stay focused.

KCrockaholic
10-16-2008, 11:10 PM
football is a TEAM sport, not a Tight End sport.

Tony is the best ever, period. just because Thannon Tharpe won 3 SB's with good teams doesnt make him better than Tony. Sharpe didnt play defense with the Ravens, and he had John Elway with the Broncs....Put Tony on those teams, and i guarantee you Tony would have 3 rings. Now some make the arguement that Tony's stats are skewd because the only recieving threat KC has had the last 12 years was Tony, so thats where all those catches come from. But wouldnt that mean teams where constantly double covering TG, while Sharpe was able to get open with guys like Ed McCaffery, and Rod Smith helping out on the recieving duties?

While Sharpe had Smelway, TG was stuck with Grbac to begin his career, then Trent Green (good, but no John), Hutard, and Croyle now...none of them even compare to what Elway was. Also the Broncos have usually had a great running team over the last 2 decades, begining with Terrell Davis...remember that 2,008 yard season by TD? well Sharpe just happened to rack up a career high, 10 TD's in that same season. In other words, defenses filled the box to stop TD which left Sharpe constantly open.

Ok so maybe you argue that Tony just isnt the leader that Sharpe was? now of course I was never in the locker room with either of these two, but Sharpe was never a full leader like Gonzalez was. Sharpe was never the leader in Denver with Elway, Davis, and Neil Smith...Sharpe was not the leader for Baltimore even with a young Ray Lewis on the team...Lewis was the face of that franchise the second he put on a helmet. Gonzo has been our one true leader since Trent Green was in red. Priest Holmes? I never heard of him staying after practice to help out LJ or somebody on pass protection, plus he was always in San Antonio every chance he got, so sorry Priest, you werent our one true leader. Gonzo, even now stays after practice to help out guys run routes, to help improve their game. when its 3rd and long, who do we look for? TG.

After all this debate, so much more can be brought up and taken into effect, but i believe Tony is the best Tight End of all time. Anything you can throw at me about Sharpe to make your case, can easily be turned around into Gonzo's favor.

10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Not having a ring shouldn't diminish a great career. It is sad that the NFL allows that to happen though.

Chiefs4TheWin
10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino because Marino couldn't win a super bowl.

ROFL next.

T-post Tom
10-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino because Marino couldn't win a super bowl.

ROFL next.

DING...DING...DING... WE HAVE A WINNER! :clap:

JuicesFlowing
10-17-2008, 12:59 AM
The last time I checked, a Super Bowl ring took 53 players and an assortment of coaches to attain. I'm sick of the argument that because a player doesn't have a ring, that he isn't the best at his position.

10-17-2008, 01:00 AM

ROFL next.

3 posts since 2005? DAMN!

JuicesFlowing
10-17-2008, 01:00 AM

ROFL next.

Exactly. I typed my response before I read this.

Phobia
10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Exactly. I typed my response before I read this.

No you didn't. You're just saying that because you piggybacked onto a smarter guy's post.

Mile High Mania
10-17-2008, 05:38 AM
I think both players are phenomenal... I won't judge them on what rings they do or don't have, but personally I do think Sharpe was better. I am equally as biased as some of you, but it is what it is. That doesn't mean Gonzo is some 3rd rate citizen... they're both so incredibly close (IMO) on talent, etc. These are all silly arguments anyway.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2008, 05:59 AM
I will say this, it could be argued that Sharpe was really a slot reciever more than a TE.

Chief Faithful
10-17-2008, 06:26 AM
I will say this, it could be argued that Sharpe was really a slot reciever more than a TE.

He was more of slot receiver and had Elway as his QB. Also, Sharpe never was an accomplished blocker like TG, which is half the job of a TE.

CrazyHorse
10-17-2008, 06:39 AM
The NFL Network should forbid this idiot from saying anything regarding the AFC West. Today he said that Gonzo isn't the best TE ever because he doesn't know how to win a Super Bowl. :rolleyes: He should be forced to preface every comment with "I worked for The Denver Post for 15 years.

I guess that would make Trent Dilfer a better QB than Marino. Brandon Jacobs better than Barry Sanders.

Any time you hear people using team accomplishments to describe a single persons carreer, it's a lazy way of not facing the truth. Fact is, Gonzo is a better reciever and has proven it over his carreer. He's the better blocker because Sharpe would complain about blocking in practice. Didn't even want to work at blocking. Said, "I'm a pass catching TE". On any individual skill or accomplishment Gonzo has out performed him. But from a team the Broncos had won a SB while the Chiefs did not.

If you give Sharpe the credit for winning the SB, then I guess Elway wasn't good enough without him. Lazy, poorly thought out response from the gnome. But it's all he's got.

CrazyHorse
10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
I think both players are phenomenal... I won't judge them on what rings they do or don't have, but personally I do think Sharpe was better. I am equally as biased as some of you, but it is what it is. That doesn't mean Gonzo is some 3rd rate citizen... they're both so incredibly close (IMO) on talent, etc. These are all silly arguments anyway.

Exactly what part of Sharpes game was better?

Codered
10-17-2008, 06:41 AM
I guess that would make Trent Dilfer a better QB than Marino. Brandon Jacobs better than Barry Sanders.

No doubt Tony is better, but comparing Sharpe to Tony is much closer then the two examples you tossed out.

Just saying.

bkkcoh
10-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Can a non QB player be held responsible because they didn't win a super bowl? I don't think so. A QB, that is a different story.

Chieftain58
10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Tony is an all around TE that actually blocks, Sharpe was a pass catching TE.. Tony wins in overall gameplay but Shannon does have the rings to show for it so... we need to get Tony a ring. I don't like Yard Gnome Schefter either.

Chiefnj2
10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Tony is a better blocker, no doubt - but why is he a better receiver? Just because of the #'s? Sharpe had decent receivers on his team so he had to share the ball more than Tony.

morphius
10-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Tony is a better blocker, no doubt - but why is he a better receiver? Just because of the #'s? Sharpe had decent receivers on his team so he had to share the ball more than Tony.
And probably faced less double teams because of it...

KCrockaholic
10-17-2008, 10:10 AM

QFT

Rausch
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Sharpe has no ligitimate argument.

He played with a HOF QB damn near his whole career while Gonzo played with career b/u's and garbage QB's and STILL outproduced him.

Gonzo never played with a HOF WR.

Gonzo never even played on a team that won a fucking playoff game.

Gonzo's whole career has been an uphill fight yet he completely P0WNZ Sharpe...

Deberg_1990
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM

He played with a HOF QB damn near his whole career while Gonzo played with career b/u's and garbage QB's and STILL outproduced him.

Gonzo never even played on a team that won a ****ing playoff game.

Gonzo played for Carl Peterson...

Enough said.

Frazod
10-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Gonzo never even played on a team that won a fucking playoff game.

That's a little harsh on Trent, don't you think? It's not like he sucked. Green's in the same boat as Priest and Tony and all the rest of our great offensive players - because of that unholy cocksucker Robinson and his detards they'll never get the recognition they deserve. But we shouldn't forget them.

Gravedigger
10-17-2008, 11:02 AM
TE's don't win superbowls, teams win superbowls, if Tony was on the Patriots he'd still be the best tight end ever, it doesn't matter what team you're on. A guy can get traded to a powerhouse and win one superbowl then retire and that doesn't make him the best TE. You can't make the same comparisons that you can towards the QB position. Tony doesn't need to know how to win a superbowl cause the teams he's been on haven't gotten close.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Guess Ozzie Newsome and Kellen Winslow arent as good either since they didnt win a Super Bowl. Kind of funny that 3 of the top 5 tight ends never won a Super Bowl.

Chief Faithful
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I put Sharpe at number 3 behind both Gonzo and Winslow. Gonzo and Winslow were as good at blocking as they were receiving. Sharpe was too one dimensional and played most his career with one of the best QB's in NFL history.

vailpass
10-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Tony G has the stats he does for two reasons: he is an excellent TE and he played on teams that had shit for WR. TG has been the focus of the passing game for KC a lot more than any other TE I have ever seen. He is their combination TE/WR.
From what I've seen TG is a good but not great blocker.

IMHO Whitten has a better all-around game in terms of catch, block, run than Sharpe, TG, or any other TE.

RodInCanton
10-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I put Sharpe at number 3 behind both Gonzo and Winslow. Gonzo and Winslow were as good at blocking as they were receiving. Sharpe was too one dimensional and played most his career with one of the best QB's in NFL history.

I love how people want to say that Sharpe was one dimensional and couldn't block but then you look at the rushing statistics the Broncos had during his career and they were excellent. He obviously didn't do all the blocking but in order for a running game to work EVERYBODY has to do their jobs and he did his run blocking job just fine.

There really is not a right or wrong answer here as some people will see it one way and others another! I personally believe that any time you need a pass to be completed to extend a drive TG was the one of the best if not the best TE in that category. Sharpe was good in this area as well but I believe the difference btwn the two is that Sharpe was a threat to take his passes to the house where Gonzales just didn't have that big play potential. I'm sure those of you who watched Gonzales his entire career see it differently but debates like this is what makes sports great!

Mecca
10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
What he said is no different than how the NFL HOF works....good players on great teams are more rewarded and well thought of than great players on bad teams. Look how many 70's Steelers are in the Hall, a guy like Lynn Swann has very marginal numbers.

Not winning a bowl is something that is always majorly held against players.

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Gonzo is the best ever-anybody thinks different -sniffed too much glue

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I love how people want to say that Sharpe was one dimensional and couldn't block but then you look at the rushing statistics the Broncos had during his career and they were excellent. He obviously didn't do all the blocking but in order for a running game to work EVERYBODY has to do their jobs and he did his run blocking job just fine.

There really is not a right or wrong answer here as some people will see it one way and others another! I personally believe that any time you need a pass to be completed to extend a drive TG was the one of the best if not the best TE in that category. Sharpe was good in this area as well but I believe the difference btwn the two is that Sharpe was a threat to take his passes to the house where Gonzales just didn't have that big play potential. I'm sure those of you who watched Gonzales his entire career see it differently but debates like this is what makes sports great!

In other words Shannon marble mouth sucks and Tony G is the best.

I agree!! :)

Deberg_1990
10-17-2008, 03:05 PM
What he said is no different than how the NFL HOF works....good players on great teams are more rewarded and well thought of than great players on bad teams. Look how many 70's Steelers are in the Hall, a guy like Lynn Swann has very marginal numbers.

Not winning a bowl is something that is always majorly held against players.

Exactly what i was trying to say in post # 11.

Swann, shouldnt be in the HoF IMO. Hes only in there because of a few highlight reel Super Bowl catches.

Granted it was a different era, but his stats by todays standards are fairly average.

Quesadilla Joe
10-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Sharpe was better than Tony G. He was stronger and faster than Tony G ever was. Tony G is great, but he is no Shannon Sharpe.

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Sharpe was better than Tony G. He was stronger and faster than Tony G ever was. Tony G is great, but he is no Shannon Sharpe.

ROFLROFL and and shannon is smarter and more articulate too..

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Swann caught everything thrown to him-he is a sure fire HOFer if there ever was one.

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Sharpe dropped more passes per year than Swann did in a career.

38yrsfan
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Sharpe is a classless bottom-feeder that thinks the world revolves around him.

BigChiefFan
10-17-2008, 04:33 PM
This is absurd. Tony G. holds ALL the MAJOR RECORDS, he OBVIOUSLY has out-performed Sharpe and the stats substantiate that. Shannon is a top 5 TE of all-time. Tony IS THE TOP TE of all-time.

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 04:35 PM
This is absurd. Tony G. holds ALL the MAJOR RECORDS, he OBVIOUSLY has out-performed Sharpe and the stats substantiate that. Shannon is a top 5 TE of all-time. Tony IS THE TOP TE of all-time.

:clap:

ClevelandBronco
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/oaklandfan18/01-11-2006080636PM.jpg

philfree
10-17-2008, 04:41 PM

What stands out to me about Tony is the type of catches he makes game in and game out. He makes incredible catches every game. The TD against the Donks was a perfect example. He went up way high in the air and caught the ball with his arms extended and then he came crashing down with two defenders all over him. He's makes catches like that in most every game. The fact that he's never missed a game is also amazing considering the way he throws his body around. Tony is no doubt the best of all times when it comes to TEs.

PhilFree:arrow:

vailpass
10-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Tony in his prime was a bad mofo no doubt. IMHO some analysts look at the fact that TG played for teams who had shit for WRs thus making Tony the primary (and often only) pass target. This drove TGs numbers up as he was the big fish in a small pond.

Sharpe played on teams with good WRs and was not the only option on pass plays.

luv
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Tony in his prime was a bad mofo no doubt. IMHO some analysts look at the fact that TG played for teams who had shit for WRs thus making Tony the primary (and often only) pass target. This drove TGs numbers up as he was the big fish in a small pond.

Buck
10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
He's got Jury.

http://i1.chargers.com/assets/030/19518_282wh.jpg

Chiefnj2
10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Vinny Testaverde has more passing yards and touchdown passes than Joe Montana, is he the better QB?

BigChiefFan
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM

So? When you are the number one option, teams know that and game-plan accordingly, thus making it HARDER for said player(Tony G. ) to perform at a high level. Tony has game in and game out, done it his ENTIRE CAREER, evidenced by his ridiculous record of catching a pass in well over a 100 games. (where's stat boy, when you need him?)

Tony is the consumate professional, who has shown he hasn't missed a beat in twelve years time, with some of the MOST CONSERVATIVE offensive game-planning a good many of those years. What's the one constant? Tony G. can and WILL make a play EVERY time he takes the field, regardless of how inept the coaching staff is and how much he is blanketed. Tony G. is a game-changer and the best TE to ever play the game, up to this point of NFL history.

Sharpe is a Top 5, noting to be ashamed of, but his records have been SURPASSED, by, one, Mr. Tony Gonzales. The stats don't lie, in fact, when you look at the entire body of work, Tony G. had one Hell of a tougher time, then receiving catches from a HOFer, in Elway. Sharpe is great, Gonzo is the greatest to ever play the game. Disputing it is futile.

vailpass
10-17-2008, 05:11 PM
He's got Jury.

Yes, hands-down the best TE of all time. I can see Jason Whitten getting there though.

vailpass
10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
So? When you are the number one option, teams know that and game-plan accordingly, thus making it HARDER for said player(Tony G. ) to perform at a high level. Tony has game in and game out, done it his ENTIRE CAREER, evidenced by his ridiculous record of catching a pass in well over a 100 games. (where's stat boy, when you need him?)

Tony is the consumate professional, who has shown he hasn't missed a beat in twelve years time, with some of the MOST CONSERVATIVE offensive game-planning a good many of those years. What's the one constant? Tony G. can and WILL make a play EVERY time he takes the field, regardless of how inept the coaching staff is and how much he is blanketed. Tony G. is a game-changer and the best TE to ever play the game, up to this point of NFL history.

Sharpe is a Top 5, noting to be ashamed of, but his records have been SURPASSED, by, one, Mr. Tony Gonzales. The stats don't lie, in fact, when you look at the entire body of work, Tony G. had one Hell of a tougher time, then receiving catches from a HOFer, in Elway. Sharpe is great, Gonzo is the greatest to ever play the game. Disputing it is futile.

I get it, you like TG. He was an excellent TE and I'm not disputing that. I'm saying it is my opinion that being the big fish in a small pond may be the reason some experts disagree with your opinion.

The greatest ever? Never saw Winslow play huh?

CrazyHorse
10-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Bigger and faster?

Well I guess that settles that then.ROFL

If you had no arguement, it would have been better just not to say anything.

SAUTO
10-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Sharpe has gone on record to say "I wasn't married to my records, we WERE just dating" well shannon, not anymore. Tg's got em. that tells the whole story

Mecca
10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
This is where football really deviates being like baseball. Baseball is a stats game, having records in baseball as an individual gets you in the Hall, gets you noticed and pretty much says who you are.

In football you can have the best stats and not be thought of as the best player at your position. Ask Dan Marino about that...when Gonzalez is retired, his stats will get him into the Hall but there will be people that go "how many big games did he play in none?"

Basileus777
10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
This is where football really deviates being like baseball. Baseball is a stats game, having records in baseball as an individual gets you in the Hall, gets you noticed and pretty much says who you are.

In football you can have the best stats and not be thought of as the best player at your position. Ask Dan Marino about that...when Gonzalez is retired, his stats will get him into the Hall but there will be people that go "how many big games did he play in none?"

I think that is a valid criticism in some cases for a QB, for for a TE it is ridiculous. TEs don't have the same impact on teams that QBs do, no matter how good a TE is they can't carry a team anywhere.

Mecca
10-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I think that is a valid criticism in some cases for a QB, for for a TE it is ridiculous. TEs don't have the same impact on teams that QBs do, no matter how good a TE is they can't carry a team anywhere.

It happens to every single position and will happen even more so to players that didn't play in huge markets..Tony Gonzalez never being on a team that even won a playoff game I think will hurt him when people look back.

Chieftain58
10-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Shannon Sharpe's tongue is to big for his mouth

Ebolapox
10-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, hands-down the best TE of all time. I can see Jason Whitten getting there though.

next time jason whitten basically wins a game ON HIS OWN in the playoffs, I'll agree with you. oh, and he has to do it with a pinched nerve in his shoulder, dehydration, severe cramps, and three stitches in his lower lip.

otherwise, I'd say you're high.

vailpass
10-17-2008, 09:09 PM
next time jason whitten basically wins a game ON HIS OWN in the playoffs, I'll agree with you. oh, and he has to do it with a pinched nerve in his shoulder, dehydration, severe cramps, and three stitches in his lower lip.

otherwise, I'd say you're high.

WTF are you talking about?

Ebolapox
10-17-2008, 09:14 PM
WTF are you talking about?

and you claim to be a kellen winslow fan. fuck, you post the immortal picture, but don't remember the story behind it? jesus.

In a 1982 (1981 season) playoff game against the Miami Dolphins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins) that became known as The Epic in Miami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epic_in_Miami), Winslow caught a playoff record 13 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown, while also blocking a field goal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal_%28football%29) with seconds remaining to send the game to overtime in one of the greatest single player efforts in NFL history. What made Winslow's performance all the more memorable was that fact during the game he was treated for a pinched nerve in his shoulder, dehydration, severe cramps, and received three stitches in his lower lip. After the game, a picture of Winslow being helped off the field by his teammates<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellen_Winslow#cite_note-2)</sup> became an enduring image in NFL Lore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Lore).

vailpass
10-17-2008, 09:28 PM
and you claim to be a kellen winslow fan. ****, you post the immortal picture, but don't remember the story behind it? jesus.

No man, I get the Winslow reference but why are you jumping all over Whitten and telling me I'm high?
I didn't say JW was better than KW just that he looks like he could be.
I am not high.
Yet.

Ebolapox
10-17-2008, 09:40 PM
No man, I get the Winslow reference but why are you jumping all over Whitten and telling me I'm high?
I didn't say JW was better than KW just that he looks like he could be.
I am not high.
Yet.

eh, I just don't see it. he's not even the best dallas TE of all-time. he still needs to pass jay novacek. he still needs to pass mike ditka. I don't see whitten ever being in that top five. I just don't.

KCrockaholic
10-17-2008, 10:42 PM

err...id be careful saying Tharpe was ever stronger than TG, remember TG is 6'4 1/2 and 248! While Thannon was just 6'2 and 228...hell Dwayne Bowe is about that size...of course Sharpe was faster than TG....guess what? Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40, does that mean hes not the best WR ever? ...if that was the case, they wouldnt even play the game...were talking about football players...not athletes, get it straight, Gay Cutler fan.

RodInCanton
10-17-2008, 11:35 PM
He's got Jury.

If there is a right answer this is it in my opinion...

KCrockaholic
10-17-2008, 11:53 PM
If there is a right answer this is it in my opinion...

Winslow was awesome, but he reminds me a bit of Barry Sanders. Helluva player, possibly the best at his position? But Like Sanders, Winslow had a short career. The only thing i hold against Winslow is that he was a head case mentally. Somewhat like his son. There is no guarantee that he can stay out of trouble...If Winslow had played 14 years or so, easily hes #1...but looking at everything I still have to say Tony.

ClevelandBronco
10-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Winslow was awesome, but he reminds me a bit of Barry Sanders. Helluva player, possibly the best at his position? But Like Sanders, Winslow had a short career. The only thing i hold against Winslow is that he was a head case mentally. Somewhat like his son. There is no guarantee that he can stay out of trouble...If Winslow had played 14 years or so, easily hes #1...but looking at everything I still have to say Tony.

So, can I get you on the Ozzie Newsome bandwagon for a couple of seasons?

milkman
10-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Football is the ultimate team sport, thus you get guys like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson at QB winning SBs while guys like Dan Marino and Dan Fouts look on with envy.

Great WRs can make mediocre QBs look like Pro Bowlers, thus you get guys like Dante Culpepper.

Great O-Lines can do the same, as you can see with Trent Green.

It is unfortunate that the morons that vote in the Hall of Fame balloting can't seem to grasp this concept.

The fact is, to rank a players place all time based on team accomplishments is lazy and uneducated.

It's a damn shame too, cause a guy like Tommy Nobis is fucked by this thought process.

He was every bit as good as, if not better than, Ray Nitschke.

He simply had the misfortune of playing on one of the sorriest teams in the league.

That being said, I would argue that Kellen Winslow, John Mackey, Ozzie Newsome, Shannon Sharpe and Tony all deserve to be in the discussion as best ever at their position.

I would argue that Winslow is the best.

milkman
10-18-2008, 06:13 AM

Game changer?

No, not really.

Tony is a great TE, but the fact is, game changing receivers average more than 1 TD every 3 games.

Chiefs4TheWin
10-18-2008, 06:15 AM
3 posts since 2005? DAMN!

Lets just say I've lurked since like 2000 :P

chiefsngop
10-18-2008, 10:17 AM
This is mind blowing to me. Baltimore's post season success is credited to their defen...... tight end ?

What ? What ? What frickin team are we talkin about here? Shannon was a great TE but let's not get it twisted Schefter, the defense got them there.

You put Baltimore's defense on DV's Chiefs team and TG probably has 2 Super Bowl rings by now...

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2008, 01:29 PM

The Hall of fame voters put a huge amount of weight on Super Bowl titles.TG is a lock on first ballot. I suppose Marino doesn't belong in the hall...