PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Top 3 at each position?

Micjones
10-17-2008, 10:33 AM
All-time best position players for the Chiefs...
Give me your top three.

Quarterback:
#1 Len Dawson
#2 Trent Green
#3 Bill Kenney

Runningback:
#1 Priest Holmes
#2 Larry Johnson
#3 Christian Okoye

Wide Receiver:
#1 Otis Taylor
#2 Stephon Paige
#3 Carlos Carson

Agree? Don't?
I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Let's try to come up with a Top 3 at each position.

Hoover
10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Where is Mo Price?

MOhillbilly
10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
podolak

Micjones
10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Where is Mo Price?

Standing in someone's unemployment line I'd imagine.
:D

smittysbar
10-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I like Okoye over LJ

Gonzo
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I like Okoye over LJ

Agreed

Gonzo
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
All-time best position players for the Chiefs...
Give me your top three.

Quarterback: Yep
#1 Len Dawson
#2 Trent Green
#3 Bill Kenney

Runningback:
#1 Priest Holmes
#2 Okoye
#3 Allen

Wide Receiver:
#1 Otis Taylor
#2 Stephon Paige
#3 Carlos Carson

Agree? Don't?
I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Let's try to come up with a Top 3 at each position.

Demonpenz
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Doggystyle
Reverse cowgirl
Cincinati bowtie

Deberg_1990
10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Ill just stick to the guys i actually saw play:

QB:

Trent Green
Deberg
Kenney

RB:

Priest
LJ
Marcus Allen

WR:

Stephon Paige
Derrick Alexander
Carlos Carson

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Some quick contributions:

RDE: Derrick Thomas (c'mon, he was really a rush end), Jared Allen,
LDE: Neil Smith
MLB: Willie Lanier
DT: Buck Buchanan, Dan Saleamua,
FB: Tony Richardson, Kimble Anders,
LT: Bill Roaf, John Alt,

MOhillbilly
10-17-2008, 10:49 AM
okoye?:spock:

Micjones
10-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Larry Johnson isn't worthy of the Top 3 in your opinion?
Is that because of his limitations in pass protection or the off-the-field stuff?
Just curious...

SDChief
10-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I like Marcus Allen over LJ. He may not have put up huge numbers while in KC, but it was nice to know if you need a yard he could get it, he was a leader, and would not have to come out on the passing downs. LJ had a couple of nice seasons, but unless he can get back to running like he did those years (intesity wise not numbers per say), and be a little more versitile, in a few years he will be a distant memory for me. Tha's me, otherwise I agree.

Micjones
10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I like Marcus Allen over LJ. He may not have put up huge numbers while in KC, but it was nice to know if you need a yard he could get it, he was a leader, and would not have to come out on the passing downs. LJ had a couple of nice seasons, but unless he can get back to running like he did those years (intesity wise not numbers per say), and be a little more versitile, in a few years he will be a distant memory for me. Tha's me, otherwise I agree.

Allen was definitely a leader.
His value to those Chiefs teams can't be measured solely by numbers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 10:57 AM

I don't see how people can't put LJ in the top three. The guy was a workhorse back who, despite being a world class dickhead, was just a better player than Marcus when he was here--lest we forget Kimble was more of a third down back than Marcus, who was used far more in short yardage situations.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 10:58 AM

I would agree with this. I remember when he warmed up for the '95 playoff game in a sleeveless shirt.

God, that was badass.

Demonpenz
10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
whaaaat?

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM

yeah. I know LJ doesn't have the line right now that the 90s chiefs had, but still even when it was 8 or 9 in the box Allen would find that little bit of wiggle room to get the yard or two needed. LJ's first two years were huge, I loved the way he played, but it's hard for me to even wear his jersey on game day anymore. He doesn't even look like he's putting full effort in, except maybe the Denver game. But that just makes the other games harder to take, cause you know he can do it.

Micjones
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
yeah. I know LJ doesn't have the line right now that the 90s chiefs had, but still even when it was 8 or 9 in the box Allen would find that little bit of wiggle room to get the yard or two needed. LJ's first two years were huge, I loved the way he played, but it's hard for me to even wear his jersey on game day anymore. He doesn't even look like he's putting full effort in, except maybe the Denver game. But that just makes the other games harder to take, cause you know he can do it.

I think that's how I wound up weighing that position.
Based around Johnson's numbers and what he's capable of as a Chief.
Allen was an all around great player, but he simply wasn't as capable in the twilight of his career.

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't see how people can't put LJ in the top three. The guy was a workhorse back who, despite being a world class dickhead, was just a better player than Marcus when he was here--lest we forget Kimble was more of a third down back than Marcus, who was used far more in short yardage situations.

Kimble Anders was a great receiving back, but when it was 3rd and goal or 3rd and one or two, it was Allen that came in and got it. It happened in every game. He still had a few games where he broke some big gains too. I may even put LJ ahead of Okoye, but it's kinda hard for me to do that now, because Okoye had 1-3 years of productivity and LJ had 2-3 to this point. True he may have more, but until I see it he is even with Okoye and then the "dickhead" factor drops him below in MY opinion. If he comes back and starts to get it again, then he may rise above it. LJ's story isn't written yet.

Micjones
10-17-2008, 11:09 AM
LJ's story isn't written yet.

Not entirely.
But that could depend on how what happens the rest of this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Kimble Anders was a great receiving back, but when it was 3rd and goal or 3rd and one or two, it was Allen that came in and got it. It happened in every game. He still had a few games where he broke some big gains too. I may even put LJ ahead of Okoye, but it's kinda hard for me to do that now, because Okoye had 1-3 years of productivity and LJ had 2-3 to this point. True he may have more, but until I see it he is even with Okoye and then the "dickhead" factor drops him below in MY opinion. If he comes back and starts to get it again, then he may rise above it. LJ's story isn't written yet.

He gained almost 1800 yards in two straight years. Okoye never sniffed that.

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Not entirely.
But that could depend on how what happens the rest of this year.

yeah, and if he continues down the road he is on, it may be his last year as a chief. If it is and I look at was M Allen was even in the twilight and what LJ was in his prime I take Marcus. And really not because of the "dickhead" factor as much as I loved watching Allen play the entire time he was here, and I proudly wore an Allen jersey on gamedays, even while I wanted the front office to draft a real back to eventually replace him because I knew his time was near. Really as I think back I would almost rate K Anders above LJ for the same reasons. He was a great player with a great attitude. I don't rate player soley on stats.

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
He gained almost 1800 yards in two straight years. Okoye never sniffed that.

yeah, but now he is a primadonna rapper wanna be that is becoming a locker room cancer. I hope to hell he turns it around, but in MY mind until he does, he is not one of the greatest chiefs area to me.

Bwana
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Sorry guys, I would have to rank Joe Montana in with the top QB's, without question.

Micjones
10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry guys, I would have to rank Joe Montana in with the top QB's, without question.

Really?
Montana only played here two years.

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Well I guess if you see my reasonings on backs you can see while I'm going to agree with Bwana. He is the only QB other than Dawson to get to the AFC championship, that's gotta count for something. Also just the Monday night game in Denver in his last year raises his stock about 100 points with me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 11:26 AM
yeah, but now he is a primadonna rapper wanna be that is becoming a locker room cancer. I hope to hell he turns it around, but in MY mind until he does, he is not one of the greatest chiefs area to me.

Shaq was a primadonna rapper wannabe. I'd rather have him over David Robinson.

Derrick Thomas was a cancer, and by all accounts, pretty much a scumbag. Look at the trail of bastard children he left in the KC metro.

I agree that there is a certain critical mass that happens when too many low character guys get in a locker room ('98 Chiefs, the Bengals), but putting LJ below a player who was clearly inferior just because of his personality is a stretch, IMO.

okcchief
10-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Listing the years since I have been watching.

Quarterback:
#1 Joe Montana
#2 Steve DeBerg
#3 Trent Green

Runningback:
#1 Joe Delaney
#2 Preist Holmes
#3 Christian Okoye

Wide Receiver:
#1 Stephon Page
#2 Carlos Carson
#3 Andre Rison

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Derrick Thomas was a cancer, and by all accounts, pretty much a scumbag. Look at the trail of bastard children he left in the KC metro.

I agree that there is a certain critical mass that happens when too many low character guys get in a locker room ('98 Chiefs, the Bengals), but putting LJ below a player who was clearly inferior just because of his personality is a stretch, IMO.

well DT still produced, shaq still produces, like I said, if LJ was running like he did the first two years, even if the yardage wasn't up there but if it looked like he wasn't mailing it in it would effect my rankings, this year he is dropping in my book. I hope he finds his way on the field. If he was putting the effort out, I wouldn't care what he does outside of the lockerroom. but if he is going to continue to do the same things that caused him to be deactivated (whatever that may have been) then he goes down in my opinion. If this year stays the same for LJ, and he gets released, do you think he is one of the top three backs KC has ever had? Just becuase he put up a couple of years worth of numbers? If so we'll have to agree to disagree

Demonpenz
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM

I never had the feeling that he was a bad guy. Just that he got away with things because of his skill. Everyone always said he was very nice in person. I would have to take umbridge with the "By all accounts" part.

Bwana
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Well I guess if you see my reasonings on backs you can see while I'm going to agree with Bwana. He is the only QB other than Dawson to get to the AFC championship, that's gotta count for something. Also just the Monday night game in Denver in his last year raises his stock about 100 points with me.

This

And he did it with nothing to throw to.

SDChief
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
This

And he did it with nothing to throw to.

very true, and a tailback in his "twilight" years. No Tony Gonzalez or Priest, or even an LJ in a good year, but he did have a pretty good D.

okcchief
10-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Really?
Montana only played here two years.

I think that is irrelevant. Most Chiefs QB's have a short tenure. Green had one playoff appearance in 5yrs while Montanta had 2 in 2. I think it's more about the quality while here than the time played.

Chiefnj2
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
From the late 80's on:
QB
1. Montana
2. Green
3. DeBerg

HB
1. Holmes
2. Okoye
3. Allen

WR is tough. I guess rose colored glasses of yesteryear win out and I'd put Paige and Carson at the top of the list.

JuicesFlowing
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
DeBerg would probably get my vote as #3

Sully
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
In my time watching (early 90s-present)
OL-
1. Roaf
2. Shields
3. Szott

DL-
1. N. Smith
2. Saleamua
3. Phillips/WIlliams

LB
1. Thomas
2. Edwards
3. Simien

DB
1. Lewis
2. Carter
3. Ross/Cherry

QB
1. Green
2. DeBerg
3. Montana

RB
1. Holmes
2. Okoye/WOrd (just going to pretend they were the same guy)
3. LJ

FB
1. Richardson
2. Anders
3. Jones

WR/TE
1. Gonzalez
2. Kennison
3. Alexander

Chief Faithful
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
QB - Dawson, Montana, Green
RB - Holmes, Allen, Okoye
FB - Richardson, Mack Lee Hill, Anders
WR - Taylor, Carson, Henry Marshall
TE - Gonzo, Fred Arbanas, Walter White
OT - Roaf, Alt, Tyrer
G - Shields, Szott, Ed Budde
C - Rudnay, Grunhard, Wiegman
FS - Cherry, Robinson, Barbaro
SS - Burrass, Kearney, Pollard
CB - E. Thomas, Lewis, Ross
OLB - Thomas, Bell, Lynch
MLB - Lanier, Spani, Hackett
DT - Buchanan, Saleaumua, Curley Culp
DE - N. Smith, Still, Bell

LOCOChief
10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Nobody mentioned Hasty?

MOhillbilly
10-17-2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScioc_dmXg

Chief Faithful
10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Nobody mentioned Hasty?

He was good, but E. Thomas, Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, Dale Carter and possibly Gary Green were better.

Rain Man
10-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Is this based on lifetime contributions, average contribution per season played, or most dominating in their best years? My answers would vary.

Lifetime Contributions:
QB
1. Len Dawson
2. Trent Green
3. Joe Montana
RB
1. Priest Holmes
2. Abner Haynes
3. Kimble Anders
WR/TE
1. Tony Gonzalez
2. Otis Taylor
3. Henry Marshall

Average Contributions Per Season:
QB
1. Trent Green
2. Len Dawson
3. Bill Kenney
RB
1. Priest Holmes
2. Larry Johnson
3. Christian Okoye
WR/TE
1. Tony Gonzalez
2. Otis Taylor
3. Stephone Paige

Most Dominating Players in Their Prime Chiefs Years:
QB
1. Joe Montana
2. Len Dawson
3. Trent Green
RB
1. Priest Holmes
2. Christian Okoye (Hard to believe he's only 2nd.)
3. Tony Richardson (Larry could easily be here.)
WR/TE
1. Otis Taylor
2. Tony Gonzalez
3. Stephone Paige

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't the guy who had more yards, a higher ypc, and more TDs in a season than Okoye (LJ) be considered more dominant in his "prime years"?

Halfcan
10-17-2008, 04:42 PM

1 Marcus is worth 10 gangsta LJ's

LJ is not even in my top 10.

Rain Man
10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't the guy who had more yards, a higher ypc, and more TDs in a season than Okoye (LJ) be considered more dominant in his "prime years"?

Quite possibly. I felt bad leaving LJ off, but decided that Okoye was pretty much all the team had when he was running amuck, while LJ's best seasons were part of a much stronger offense.

LJ could easily replace Tony R., too. Kind of an apples and oranges deal there, but Tony was so good in his role at his peak that I think he gets a share of Priest's dominance.

CoMoChief
10-17-2008, 04:55 PM
K - Lin Elliott, Justin Medlock, Lawrence Tynes