PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Secret Weapon

RustShack
10-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Chiefs see potential in new receiver Bradley
By ADAM TEICHER

When Brodie Croyle returned to practice weeks ago, he immediately took notice of the new wide receiver setting himself apart from the pack.

Mark Bradley is fast and making big catches down the field in practice, two items in short supply from the other candidates vying to be Dwayne Bowe’s receiving partner.

“He’s got good speed and runs really good routes,” Croyle said. “He’s had pretty good hands so far. It’s kind of tough to see why Chicago got rid of him. We’re all kind of scratching our heads wondering why you’d get rid of a guy like that.”

The receiver-thin Chiefs could eventually be even more thankful the Bears released Bradley early in the season. Bradley will get his first playing time with the Chiefs on Sunday when they play against Tennessee at Arrowhead Stadium.

They are most hopeful Bradley can do what Devard Darling, Will Franklin and Jeff Webb haven’t: give the Chiefs another legitimate receiving option in addition to Bowe and Tony Gonzalez.

“Defenses key on Tony and they key on Bowe, so we really need to find some alternatives,” said Croyle’s backup, Damon Huard. “It would be nice to spread the ball to other playmakers. He could be the one. He’s pretty smooth and has some nice deceptive speed.”

The Chiefs first noticed Bradley when he was in college at Oklahoma. They brought him in for a visit before the 2005 draft and probably would have selected Bradley had they not sent their second-round pick that year to Miami in exchange for cornerback Patrick Surtain.

Bradley went to the Bears instead in the second round. His rookie season got off to a promising start when Bradley caught 18 passes in his first seven games.

He then tore knee ligaments, and though Bradley returned for the next season, the Bears had largely moved on without him. His playing time decreased until it was almost none early in this season.

That’s when Chicago finally gave up on him.

“I anticipated it before it happened, so it wasn’t a big shock to me,” Bradley said. “Other people might look at something like that as a negative. I look at what happened as a positive. There are many guys in this league who don’t finish their career or become the player they can be with the team that drafted them. They have to go to another team before that happens.

“I don’t know why it happens that way, but that’s the way it is. It’s a fresh start for me, and I’m excited about it. I’m looking forward to making a lot of plays for the Chiefs instead of the Bears.”

The Chiefs clearly believe he’s capable. That Bradley will play at least a few snaps in just the second game since he arrived would indicate that.

“He just got into one of those situations where he got hurt and . . . he kind of got lost in the shuffle and that happens sometimes,” coach Herm Edwards said. “He was probably a little immature when he came into the league and expected things too fast. I think he’s more mature now.

“He’s shown the ability in practice to make some big plays.”

Now he has to do it against the Titans. The Chiefs’ ability to attain that so far elusive balance in their passing game depends on it.

“We’ve got to get everybody, all of them going,” Croyle said. “We’ve got to get where we’re throwing the ball on a consistent basis. We’ve got to get them out of their eight-man fronts so we can run the ball.”

T-post Tom
10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Mark Bradley, I served with Jesse Haynes and Brian Shay: I knew Jesse Haynes and Brian Shay; Jesse Haynes and Brian Shay were friends of mine. Mark Bradley, you're no Haynes or Shay.

the Talking Can
10-18-2008, 12:35 PM
he's no darling.....

The Franchise
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I hope Bowe, Franklin and Bradley can turn into something at least good.

noa
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
He's no Steve Bono 76-yard bootleg

NewChief
10-18-2008, 12:40 PM
How many times have the Chiefs brought in some no-name reach WR who the fans get all excited about only to have the guy never have a pass thrown his way? I'm sure it's like this for every team, but it seems to happen all the time with the Chiefs.

RustShack
10-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Mark Bradley is also the most talented "no name" we have brought in too, so lets see what happens.

Tribal Warfare
10-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I want to know if Franklin's knee is still bothering him, because he's been non-existent this year.

Marcellus
10-18-2008, 01:05 PM
How many times have the Chiefs brought in some no-name reach WR who the fans get all excited about only to have the guy never have a pass thrown his way? I'm sure it's like this for every team, but it seems to happen all the time with the Chiefs.

No kidding.

Wouldn't you have to actually put some effort into calling passing plays for Bradley to have a chance to make an impact?

NewChief
10-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Mark Bradley is also the most talented "no name" we have brought in too, so lets see what happens.

I hope it works out for you all, I really do. I've just seen the pattern way too many times where the Chiefs bring in some supposed game changing WR only to have the guy running tertiary routes where he never gets a look. They were guilty of it under the DV era, and they've been guilty of it under the Herm era. I think this is probably a result of the fact that really excellent WRs are hard to come by in this league and those who are truly excellent have set the bar so high that even decent/good WRs pale in comparison and turn out to be disappointing.

RustShack
10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I want to know if Franklin's knee is still bothering him, because he's been non-existent this year.

I personally have always thought he was over hyped... I don't really expect much in the pros from someone who was 4th on his team in receiving his Sr. year in college...

Tiger's Fan
10-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I hope he runs a good 3 yard out!

Lonewolf Ed
10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
He's no Steve Bono 76-yard bootleg

Didn't the network have to cut to a commercial during that lame-ass jog he did? I remember going to make a sandwich, and when I came back he was on the 10 yard line, getting closer, ever closer, closer, closssssssserrrrrr, touchdown.

milkman
10-18-2008, 03:14 PM

The fact is that rookie receivers really don't often make big splashes in the NFL.

Tribal Warfare
10-18-2008, 03:17 PM
The fact is that rookie receivers really don't often make big splashes in the NFL.

The thing that worries me is that he's not taking playing time from Webb, which should attainable.

milkman
10-18-2008, 03:21 PM
The thing that worries me is that he's not taking playing time from Webb, which should attainable.

The only reason Bowe got onto the field so soon was because of Kennison's injury.

Besides, Webb went to San Diego St., and, unless I'm mistaken is close friends with Herman fucking Edwards' son.

You don't actually expect Herman fucking Edwards to give his playing time to a receiver with actual talent, do you?

NewChief
10-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Soooo,

How's the secret weapon panning out today, or is he even dressed out?

NewChief
10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Ahh, I see that he did dress out. 1 catch. 8 yards. In all fairness, that qualifies as a playmaker in the Chiefs passing game.

Frankie
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm afraid to ask. How did Bradley do today?

Frankie
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Ahh, I see that he did dress out. 1 catch. 8 yards. In all fairness, that qualifies as a playmaker in the Chiefs passing game.

Oh, never mind.

Hammock Parties
10-19-2008, 02:21 PM
He caught one pass. Just like Darling.

Hydrae
10-19-2008, 02:21 PM

He started opposite Bowe. I think we threw to him twice resulting in the one catch.

the Talking Can
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM

he's equaled darling

mrub4
10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
How's Bradley's throwing arm? Or is Herm done with that for the rest of forever now.

KCUnited
10-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Saved by zero. Saved by 0%....

KChiefs1
10-19-2008, 04:17 PM
The Helicopter

Frankie
10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
You think we can convince Rich Scanlon to come back and play WR for us? :hmmm:

gblowfish
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
So far Will Franklin = Victor Bailey.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2008, 07:40 PM
another weapon so secret that nobody ever sees it

DeezNutz
10-19-2008, 07:43 PM
He caught one pass. Just like Darling.

Didn't Darling double his season production today?

2 fucking total receptions?

Hammock Parties
10-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Darling has caught a pass in every game. He's awesome.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM

That would be Rod Gardner.

Frankie
10-19-2008, 07:53 PM

2 ****ing total receptions?

Not to mention that Bradley has been with this team but one week. Darling, since off-season.

Skip Towne
10-19-2008, 08:00 PM

He's making a believer out of me.

blueballs
10-26-2008, 07:33 PM
shazaam

philfree
10-26-2008, 07:43 PM
5 for 42 and 1 TD. He looked good out there across from Bowe. If the guy can stay healthy we may have found a #2WR. It's kind of early but I like what I saw today.

PhilFree:arrow:

RustShack
10-26-2008, 07:46 PM
That would be Rod Gardner.

Actually we tried out Charles Rogers :p Freddie Mitchell was also here... and Az Hakim!

rrl308
10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
5 for 42 and 1 TD. He looked good out there across from Bowe. If the guy can stay healthy we may have found a #2WR. It's kind of early but I like what I saw today.

I agree it's early, but man it was nice to see someone on the other side make some plays for a change.

RustShack
10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Think DVD can get better production out of the slot?

blueballs
10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I still have high hopes
for Franklin

philfree
10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Think DVD can get better production out of the slot?

Maybe.. We also got some production out of our #2 TE today. Cottam got his first NFL reception and then got 3 more.:clap:

Bob Dole
10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree it's early, but man it was nice to see someone on the other side make some plays for a change.

It was nice to see a QB look for someone other than 82, 88, or whatever running back was the dump-off...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Can we just fucking cut Darling and Webb. I hate looking at them.

Reerun_KC
10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Can we just ****ing cut Darling and Webb. I hate looking at them.

Only if you send Herm with them?

RustShack
10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Can we just fucking cut Darling and Webb. I hate looking at them.

I cracked a smile when I seen Webb was deactivated.

NewChief
10-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Cool! Maybe you'll get some production out of this guy.

ChiefGator
10-27-2008, 05:14 AM
I cracked a smile when I seen Webb was deactivated.

Don't worry, I fully expect Bradley to be deactivated next week so Webb can see the field.

mrub4
11-02-2008, 04:05 PM
How's Bradley's throwing arm? Or is Herm done with that for the rest of forever now.

Guess this (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c22b39) answers that question...

Smed1065
11-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Guess this (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c22b39) answers that question...

:doh!:

Smed1065
11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Darling has caught a pass in every game. He's awesome.

Expecting different results?

LOL

:spock:

NewChief
12-23-2009, 07:06 AM
bump