PDA

View Full Version : Music Best earbuds for MP3 player?

dtebbe
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
My wife likes good quality bass while listening to her iPod, and the stock earbuds tend to break up with any heavy bass in the music. Anyone know of some good earbuds with low freq extension that do not cost an arm and a leg?

DT

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Do you want actual in-ear buds, or just headphones?

If you don't need in-ear, I've had two pairs of these and loved them.

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Sony-Sony-MDR-Q22LP-w-ear-Style

pr_capone
10-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Anything on this page...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+50001730&Configurator=&Subcategory=-1&description=earphones&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

I *love* SENNHEISER

Lzen
10-20-2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HE591-Surround-Sound-Earbuds/dp/B0001OY2VS

I picked up a pair of these from Walmart for about $15. Best set of ear buds I have found yet. Good quality on the frequency spectrum and the price is good. They come with a couple different size rubber fittings so that they fit snug in your ears.

10-20-2008, 07:28 AM

I picked up a pair of these from Walmart for about $15. Best set of ear buds I have found yet. Good quality on the frequency spectrum and the price is good. They come with a couple different size rubber fittings so that they fit snug in your ears.I have a pair of those as well. They are great for the low price.

If you really want outstanding sound though, you will need to invest in the expensive products though.

Pushead2
10-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Skull Candy give great sound but they crap out soon....I like Bose.

Demonpenz
10-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I dunno about spending a bunch of money for stuff that might take a beating if you are being active. I can understand dropping money on a decent pair if you are going to sit at home, get smoked out, and interpret the lyrics of such musical talents like Chumbawamba

10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I dunno about spending a bunch of money for stuff that might take a beating if you are being active. I can understand dropping money on a decent pair if you are going to sit at home, get smoked out, and interpret the lyrics of such musical talents like ChumbawambaROFL

Sully
10-20-2008, 09:41 AM
I can never get the damn things to stay in my ear. I've finally given up and started going with regular over-the-head phones...
But I don't go crazy with the expensive ones.

Demonpenz
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
I have sony ones that have a wrap around deal to keep them from falling off my ears. They sound good with my cd mp3 player and Ok with my regular mp3 player. They don't fall off though. They are like 9 bucks

noa
10-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I hear that Shure makes really, really good earbuds, but they can get pricey. My friend spent $400 on a pair, but I see on Amazon they also have stuff in the $80-$100 range.

patteeu
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I hear that Shure makes really, really good earbuds, but they can get pricey. My friend spent $400 on a pair, but I see on Amazon they also have stuff in the $80-$100 range.

Wow. I must not have a very discerning ear because I've been quite satisfied with a set of earbuds that cost me about $20 at the local Circuit City. I can't say what brand they were, but they had a spongy material on the part that you stick in the ear. They feel much more comfortable than the stock ipod earbuds and they tend to block out external noise because of the snug fit.

Fezzic
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Isolating-Earphone-Balanced-Armature/dp/B000VHUE0S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224533228&sr=8-2

The best purchase I've made for my Ipod. I tend to have mine in for 5-8 hours a day, and I've worn through sooooo many other, cheaper pairs.....until I found shure. I had purchased a pair of E2c's and when I had some trouble with the cord splitting above the ear after about 18 months. Shure had a 2 year warranty, so I sent my old ones in and they replaced them with this newer model. Incredibly comfortable, and absolutely no issues.

The fit kit that comes with them with a lot of different tips makes it pretty easy to find one type of end that you'll like. Well worth the price if you're hard on your headphones, and you just won't find this kind of quality in cheaper sets.

Braincase
10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I've been very happy with the Zune earbuds. I'd recommend going over to Target and getting a set of replacement buds.

noa
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow. I must not have a very discerning ear because I've been quite satisfied with a set of earbuds that cost me about $20 at the local Circuit City. I can't say what brand they were, but they had a spongy material on the part that you stick in the ear. They feel much more comfortable than the stock ipod earbuds and they tend to block out external noise because of the snug fit.

Yeah, I just stick with the basic ones, too. Good enough for me.
The ones my friend got, they took a mold of his ear first and custom fit the earbuds for him. The thing about expensive earbuds is I would be too afraid to get my money's worth out of them.

teedubya
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
I like the Skull Candy "Smokin Buds" I saw them at Dicks the other day and was ROLLING.

Miles
10-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Another vote for the entry model by Shure.

Silock
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
After having owned a few pair of very expensive studio monitor headphones, IMO, the cheap ones are just as good, especially for listening to MP3s. The truth is that the difference in sound quality isn't going to be something you can hear out of a compressed sound format like MP3. If you were listening to lossless audio, you might have a case. But for MP3s, $20 pair of headphones from Wal-Mart sound just as good.

I prefer the Sony in-ear buds. They come with a few different rubber inserts so you can find the right size for your ears so they'll stay in.

dtebbe
10-21-2008, 07:39 PM

I picked up a pair of these from Walmart for about $15. Best set of ear buds I have found yet. Good quality on the frequency spectrum and the price is good. They come with a couple different size rubber fittings so that they fit snug in your ears.

Just what the doc ordered. Not the best I ever heard, but for $15 the wife is happy as a clam.

DT

10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Just what the doc ordered. Not the best I ever heard, but for $15 the wife is happy as a clam.

DT
The "surround" quality they have is impressive. Put your finger over the outside of them while they are in your ear and they sound like a tin can though. heh Strange how they rely on the open air to function the way they do.

Miles
10-23-2008, 01:29 AM
While not earbuds, KOSS KSC75's sound pretty great if you are look for something very inexpensive ($12 or less on ebay or discount sites).

Miles
10-23-2008, 01:38 AM
After having owned a few pair of very expensive studio monitor headphones, IMO, the cheap ones are just as good, especially for listening to MP3s. The truth is that the difference in sound quality isn't going to be something you can hear out of a compressed sound format like MP3. If you were listening to lossless audio, you might have a case. But for MP3s, $20 pair of headphones from Wal-Mart sound just as good.

I got a bit into headphones for music listening after college when I lived in apartments and still use them a good amount for music listening instead of my home theater setup. Like most audio equipment diminishing returns sets in at some point but I definitly do notice a better headphone when listening to MP3s over say 224 vbr. However if you are not often sitting at a desk or idle while listening, my take is also that inexpensive options are the way to go.

Silock
10-23-2008, 03:53 AM
I got a bit into headphones for music listening after college when I lived in apartments and still use them a good amount for music listening instead of my home theater setup. Like most audio equipment diminishing returns sets in at some point but I definitly do notice a better headphone when listening to MP3s over say 224 vbr. However if you are not often sitting at a desk or idle while listening, my take is also that inexpensive options are the way to go.

IMO, 99.999% of the sound quality difference in MP3s is due to the encoding process and not the headphones themselves. I can tell a difference between a 192 kbps MP3 and a 320 kbps MP3, the latter of which I mix music with (see sig). But I don't notice a gigantic difference in the actual sound quality of the files when comparing headphones, aside from the fact that some might just have better range. But even then, it's a pretty small difference.

dtebbe
05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
A little update on this... I found a great pair of Sony earbuds that perform great for the price. The Sony MDR-XB20EX look great, fit great (3 sizes of silicone seals included), and sound awesome. Lot of clean bass that absolutely pounds your eardrum if you like it that way. I bought them from a wholesale source I have for $20, but I'm sure they are probably under $30 at most places. They have a nice flat cord and include a case as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB20EX-Sensitivity-Driver-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24TG

DT

Silock
05-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Those are what I use. They sound fantastic.