PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Chiefs running game can't do much against Titans

smittysbar
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Chiefs’ running game can’t do much against Titans

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <script language="Javascript"> function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); } </script> <!-- photo or image available --> <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp --> http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/19/22/502-CHIEFSTITANS1_SP_101908_DRE_0601_10-20-2008_TL15R15L.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/19/22/912-CHIEFSTITANS1_SP_101908_DRE_0601_10-20-2008_TL15R15L.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
DAVID EULITT
Kansas City running back Kolby Smith, making his first start of the season, couldn’t get very far against the Titans on Sunday. He finished with just 20 rushing yards in 10 carries.
----------------------------------------

<script text="text/javascript" language="Javascript"> var storyImage = $("#storyAssets .image img").width(); if (storyImage > 0){$("#storyAssets").width(storyImage);} </script> <!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --> <!-- /mi/pubsys/story/asset_list, include_asset_type=>"factbox" -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <table> </table>The Chiefs learned Sunday that life without Larry Johnson is not much fun. Tennessee linebacker Keith Bulluck informed them afterward that things wouldn’t have been different even if Johnson had played.

“We were looking forward to playing against Larry Johnson,” Bulluck said after the Titans allowed Chiefs running backs 37 yards in a 34-10 victory. “He is one of the premier backs in the AFC. He definitely would have brought a different dimension, but at the same time, we practiced against the same plays and we didn’t know Johnson wasn’t playing until after practice on Thursday.

“We were preparing for him the whole time, anyway. We feel as though he would have gotten the same treatment.”

The Chiefs held Johnson out of Sunday’s game after he was late for practice and other team obligations. Perhaps Bulluck was right and Johnson’s presence would have made no difference. Johnson, after all, had only 2 rushing yards in the Chiefs’ previous game in Carolina.

Kolby Smith, making his first start of the season, had just 20 yards in 10 carries. Jamaal Charles gained 17 yards in three rushes.

“They did a good job of getting into our backfield,” Smith said. “That makes it hard for a running back to get a read.”

The Titans in effect rendered the Chiefs’ running game moot long before they finished their domination of the line of scrimmage. They led 10-0 by the end of the first quarter and before the Chiefs had even managed a first down.

Tennessee eventually led 17-0 at halftime and 27-0 in the fourth quarter before the Chiefs finally scored.

“We’ve got to stop falling behind in games,” coach Herm Edwards said. “That’s hurt us the last two (games). That’s never good, especially against a good football team, and we’ve played two pretty good football teams.”

Smith had a 19-yard run around left end in the second quarter. Charles went up the middle for 16 yards in the fourth period.

Otherwise, the two combined for just 2 yards. The domination was so complete that Bulluck was probably correct.

“They came out and played physical,” Charles said, “just like a No. 1 defense.”

DeezNutz
10-19-2008, 10:39 PM
LJ wouldn't have made a difference. Life without LJ isn't much fun? What a load of crap.

smittysbar
10-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Smith had a 19-yard run around left end in the second quarter. Charles went up the middle for 16 yards in the fourth period.

Otherwise, the two combined for just 2 yards. The domination was so complete that Bulluck was probably correct.

Now that is funny

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I wonder how hard it is to report on such a terrible team. Wouldn't there be a very strong urge to just type "fuck" three thousand times and be done with it?

kcxiv
10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
IT doesnt matter who we have back there right now if they cant block worth a shit.

The rest of this year is going to be interesting. I am not mad anymore that they lose. I have accepted a long time ago that this shit was going to be bad. I never thought this bad, but it is what it is.

I am just looking for some more lol moments. Had one today with the 80 yard run from White. That shit was pure comedy.

Buehler445
10-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Life with LJ wouldn't have been any better. See Carolina...Make adjustments for a more talented defense...See results.

Herm would have put LJ in when they were going to run the ball. Taken him out when they were going to pass the ball. Everybody in the league that has any film on the team knows that. The Titans would have stacked the box when LJ was in and teed up on whomever was back there when he came out. In fact, it probably would have been worse.

10-20-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm still in shock that my preseason prediction of 3-13 looks friggin generous now.