PDA

View Full Version : Computers Broadband

cookster50
10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
In my continuing quest to find any and every place I can save a few dollars, I'm in the process of dumping ATT for phone service and going with VOIP. That means I have to go to a slower dsl option with ATT or pay more for the same service I have now because I'll no longer get the "discount" thanks to having local phone with them. So, I've found dslextreme.com, which offers 3,000Kb/s for $20 a month, which would be better than ATT's $20 a month offering of 764(or close to it)Kb/s.
So, anyone have experience with dslextreme, or perhaps any other company that just leases the lines from Big Phone?

cookster50
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
BTW, if anyone does use dslextreme, I would be willing to signup under you, both of us would get a $20 credit....

jidar
10-22-2008, 09:04 AM
VOIP and bargain basement broadband don't usually mix.
Good luck.

cookster50
10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
VOIP and bargain basement broadband don't usually mix.
Good luck.

dslextreme leases the lines from ATT, so it is basically the exact same service.

jidar
10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
dslextreme leases the lines from ATT, so it is basically the exact same service.

It will lease the copper which establishes the dsl line, but dslextreme provides the bandwidth which is where you're more likely to have problems with broadband. They might be leasing the bandwidth from AT&T on site as well, but even if that's the case it's still completely separate bandwidth from what AT&T would give you.