PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher- Chiefs notebook: Barth returns for kicking duties

Tribal Warfare
10-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Chiefs notebook: Barth returns for kicking duties
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/853607.html)

Barth is back

New kicker Connor Barth didn’t have many introductions to make after joining the Chiefs for practice Wednesday. Barth was with the Chiefs from late April until his release at the end of the preseason.

He then went home to Chapel Hill, N.C., where he worked at a golf course and waited for the phone to ring.

“I never thought it would happen back here but I was hoping I would get another chance here just because I love the organization and I love the people here,” Barth said. “It’s kind of a blessing because I already know (holder Dustin Colquitt and snapper J.P. Darche) really well. We’ve had that relationship.”

Former kicker Nick Novak missed two of three field goal attempts in last week’s loss to Tennessee. He made only six of his 10 attempts, the worst success rate in the league.

Hagans released

He gained some brief fame for taking a few early-season snaps at quarterback, but Marques Hagans has now departed. The Chiefs released him from their practice squad Wednesday.

In his place is wide receiver Nate Hughes. He was an undrafted free agent this season with the Browns but was released after training camp. Hughes played in college at Alcorn State.

Chiefs add punter

The Chiefs claimed third-year punter Steve Weatherford off waivers late Tuesday, an insurance policy in case regular punter Dustin Colquitt’s injured groin prevents him from playing Sunday against the Jets at the Meadowlands.

Colquitt suffered the injury in the Carolina game and played with it Sunday against Tennessee. Coach Herm Edwards said Colquitt is questionable for the Jets game.

“We’ll see where he’s at,” Edwards said of Colquitt. “It’s precautionary. If he can’t punt, then we have a guy available for us.”

Weatherford played the first seven games with New Orleans before the Saints waived him this week after he averaged 35.4 yards in a 30-7 loss against Carolina.

Saints coach Sean Payton said Monday the team waived Weatherford because of consistency issues and that instead of improving, Weatherford had lost the team’s confidence.