PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What do you guys think of Dorsey so far?

RedThat
10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Just thought I'd ask at this point in the season. I know it has been only 6 games. What are your thoughts and opinions on him? Boom or Bust?

luv
10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm interested in seeing how someone can evaluate talent in such a short time under our coaching staff, as well.

Deberg_1990
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Disappointing so far. He was advertised as an immediate IMPACT player and so far hes not.

A few people have mentioned hes playing out of position. JWhit mentioned he needed to bulk up.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
meh

DeezNutz
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Glenn Gordon?

I keed.

MVChiefFan
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I know you're not supposed to judge so early but all through the draft they talked about him being dominant right out the gate. So, I can't help but be disappointed.

Frazod
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Disappointing so far. He was advertised as an immediate IMPACT player and so far hes not.

A few people have mentioned hes playing out of position. JWhit mentioned he needed to bulk up.

Being coached by retards might have something to do with his lack of production.

Demonpenz
10-24-2008, 01:27 PM
I knew he wasn't going very strong this year but he's alot slower off the ball than I expected.

Deberg_1990
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Anyone know how Gholston or Harvey are doing? Since those guys were selected after him??

RealSNR
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I will give him next year, too. If I recall correctly, Mario Williams sucked ass his first year too

MVChiefFan
10-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I will give him next year, too. If I recall correctly, Mario Williams sucked ass his first year too

He most definitely did...I hope we'll see a big change.

talastan
10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm thinking with all the double teams he (Dorsey) has faced, Hali is looking like a bust. Oh you meant the guy we just drafted? Sorry I thought you didn't get a full picture of a guy's development until two or three years....Sorry :D

Brock
10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Anyone know how Gholston or Harvey are doing? Since those guys were selected after him??

What difference would that make? They have better players all around them.

KCCHIEFS27
10-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Gholston- 6 Games, 6 tackles..

Harvey- 6 games, 3 started..5 tackles and 1 INT.

Dorsey- 6 Games, 17 tackles and 1 FF

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Lets wait more than 6 games in to declare him a bust. The great DT's take time to develop.

Demonpenz
10-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Damn gholston would have been a nice pick right about now

Mizzou_8541
10-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah, he has been a force with all 6 of his tackles :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM

The Jets have him sitting behind a couple of fucking scrubs.

Right now, he'd be our RDE and putting a hell of a lot more pressure on the QB than Tamba Hali.

Brock
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
What did you think of Warren Sapp his first year, as if it's relevant?

beach tribe
10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Dorsey is on pace for 44 tackles, and I'm sure he''ll get to the QB a time or two.

Sapp had 27 tackles 3 sacks

I believe Haynesworth had 34tackles 1 sack.

Dorsey is doing fine, and will be a fine player.

JohnnyV13
10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Haynesworth, who is generally recognized as the best today, started out slower than John Henderson (who is still very good). Dorsey also played a different system in college. LSU plays a "read and react" scheme while the Chiefs want Dorsey to crash the backfield.

Dorsey's hesitant "first step" could be that his recognition skills aren't there yet.

CrazyHorse
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Either everyone on the defense is a bust, or it's coaching. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Mizzou_8541
10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
The Jets have him sitting behind a couple of ****ing scrubs.

Right now, he'd be our RDE and putting a hell of a lot more pressure on the QB than Tamba Hali.

You can totally make that claim and justify it.

Demonpenz
10-24-2008, 02:14 PM
an oaktree would put more pressure on a qb than hali at this point. BUST-O-MATIC!

FAX
10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
The Chiefs don't develop players. We either play them out of their traditional position or put them in a scheme that is incompatible with their skills. It's what we do.

FAX

talastan
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM
If this thread was about Hali I would be screaming bust, at least at RDE. He just isn't getting it done. I say if we can next draft or FA, pick up a good pass rusher and rotate Hali with Turk on LDE. :shrug: Maybe?

Otter
10-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Dorsey would probably be doing great somewhere else. He's being coached by losers.

Brock
10-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Hali's either a bust or a very late bloomer.

RustShack
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Albert Haynesworth---21 solo, 9 asts, 3 tackle for loss, 0 sacks, 0 ff.
Casey Hampton---9 solo, 13 asts, 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss
Warren Sapp---16 solo, 10 asts, 3 sacks, 5 tackles for loss, 1 ff, 1 INT,1 TD
Kevin Williams--36 solo, 15 asts, 10.5 sacks, 2 tackles for loss, 1 int
Pat Williams-11 solo, 1 ast, 3.5 sacks, 15 Tackles for loss
Tommie Harris---28 solo, 15 asts, 2 tackles for loss, 1 ff

So Dorsey is on pace to get about 29 tackles, which is the 2nd most on that list... its also more than the DT hes been compared to a lot in Warren Sapp...

bobbything
10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Dorsey is so unnoticeable out there that I wouldn't notice if he caught on fire.

Demonpenz
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Herm on draft day they would ask him to do was a little bit different in the fact that he was two-gaping a lot; he never actually got to penetrate. That’s why when you look at sacks he only had seven. But he was a two-gap kind of guy where we’re going to let him go. We’re actually going to let him play the three technique and he can just go up field and that’s what he does.”

herm now

“He’s the most unselfish defensive lineman we have. He’s doing exactly what we are asking him to do. He’s beating up the guard and he’s taking on the double-team block”

Mr. Arrowhead
10-24-2008, 03:01 PM
He's Horrible, he has 0 rushing yards this year, that is just inexcusable

B_Ambuehl
10-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Tank Tyler is a more active and more disruptive defensive tackle. The reason I wanted Carl to trade down is because Dorsey and Tank are basically the same player and in any 4-3 defense you really only use one. One guy holds up the line of scrimmage and the other knocks defenders off the ball, splits double teams, and penetrates. There are no shortage of fat fuc*s like Ron Edwards across the national football leauge to be that lazy space eating guy and the gap between Tank and Dorsey will likely never be great enough to justify not taking that extra 1st and 7th from New Orleans that was offered in that trade.

Sure-Oz
10-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Give the guy more than 6 games good lord, the talent around him his dogshit too

The Franchise
10-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Tank Tyler is a more active and more disruptive defensive tackle. The reason I wanted Carl to trade down is because Dorsey and Tank are basically the same player and in any 4-3 defense you really only use one. One guy holds up the line of scrimmage and the other knocks defenders off the ball, splits double teams, and penetrates. There are no shortage of fat fuc*s like Ron Edwards across the national football leauge to be that lazy space eating guy and the gap between Tank and Dorsey will likely never be great enough to justify not taking that extra 1st and 7th from New Orleans that was offered in that trade.

Tank and Dorsey are the same player? Tank is a big space eater and Dorsey is a pass rushing DT. Totally opposite players.

POND_OF_RED
10-24-2008, 03:32 PM
He's a lot better than our last top ten DT pick.

Deberg_1990
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Dorsey is a pass rushing DT. Totally opposite players.

I must have missed all the pass rushing awsumenesss of Dorsey so far??

The Franchise
10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I must have missed all the pass rushing awsumenesss of Dorsey so far??

Look at the coaching.

vailpass
10-24-2008, 03:39 PM
DL take 1-2 years to develop, Dorsey will be just fine given the right coaching.

talastan
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
DL take 1-2 years to develop, Dorsey will be just fine given the right coaching.

So three to four when Herm leaves then... :shake:

The Bad Guy
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Dorsey needs the freedom to penetrate. Herm said he was going to cut him loose and not take on blockers like he did at LSU, but he is doing the exact same job here.

Tank is more suited to take up space, and let Dorsey create havoc.

The dude will be a great player.

gblowfish
10-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, he hasn't exactly helped us win.
Not ready to call him Ryan Sims yet, we'll see.

B_Ambuehl
10-24-2008, 04:18 PM
You guys obviously haven't spent much time watching Tank Tyler. He's fairly big, but he plays like a penetrator not a space eater. How many space eaters do you see making tackles 20 yards downfield?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
given the right coaching.

:(

RNR
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Bad Guy nailed on the head he is a shoot the gap younger Warren Sapp type player. He needs to be in that role that said after 6 games there is no way to judge what he will be.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-24-2008, 04:35 PM
LMAO 6 games in and the guy is Ryan Simms. I need to bookmark this thread to rehash in 2011.

The Bad Guy
10-24-2008, 04:36 PM
You guys obviously haven't spent much time watching Tank Tyler. He's fairly big, but he plays like a penetrator not a space eater. How many space eaters do you see making tackles 20 yards downfield?

So that's your criteria? That he can tackle someone 20 yards down field?

You are probably the 2nd worst player evaluator on here - right behind Frankie.

eazyb81
10-24-2008, 04:44 PM
It's been mentioned a few times already, but great DTs almost always take awhile to develop. Haynesworth is an absolute beast, and he didn't do much his first couple years. Tommie Harris and Warren Sapp both had fairly blah rookie years.

DTs have trouble making the leap from college to the NFL, so I'm not worried at all about Dorsey. If anything, I'm extremely concerned with Hali at this point, since we now have two legitimate DTs that take up blockers and our DEs still can't get one f'n sack. That is unbelievable.

chiefsngop
10-24-2008, 05:02 PM
The guy could & should still be a beast.

Just hope he's not left to Herm's development procedures for much longer...

Mecca
10-24-2008, 05:09 PM

He has weird player evaluation criteria that's for sure...if your DT is making plays 20 yards downfield that says alot for your shitty defense and why is your DT there and not in the backfield?

the Talking Can
10-24-2008, 05:10 PM
if we had any lbs worth a shit, Dorsey would "seem" much better....even when he does his job, our lbs miss gaps and let rbs break free....

i've seen plays here and there that show the promise of dorsey....he needs to be in better shape, i think..needs to improve technique, as most do...and needs some ****ing help at the MLB....

i just hope he doesn't let this season ruin his spirit.....get rid of this IDIOT coaching staff before they ruin all our ****ing players....

BigRock
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Herm on draft day they would ask him to do was a little bit different in the fact that he was two-gaping a lot; he never actually got to penetrate. That’s why when you look at sacks he only had seven. But he was a two-gap kind of guy where we’re going to let him go. We’re actually going to let him play the three technique and he can just go up field and that’s what he does.”

herm now

“He’s the most unselfish defensive lineman we have. He’s doing exactly what we are asking him to do. He’s beating up the guard and he’s taking on the double-team block”

I would imagine the LBs have played a signficant part in that. Even with Dorsey tying up blockers, the guys behind him aren't taking advantage of it. If they had Dorsey trying to blow past one blocker instead of taking on multiple ones, every run play would probably be a TD.

FringeNC
10-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Look at our defensive stats. Some of them are all-time ever in the NFL bad. Thus far, one has to be extremely disappointed in Dorsey. Sure he is just one player, but there has to be a whole of suck to get stats like ours.

Halfcan
10-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Pretty descent response right there-I concur.

FAX
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Poor Dorsey. But, at least he's not a quarterback. Otherwise, he would be on the PUP, by now.

I am utterly convinced (until some actual facts and stuff prove otherwise) that all the defensive linemen we've drafted in the recent past couldn't have been unavoidable busts. It's a long list of failures including Wilkerson, Freeman, Sharpe, Long, Sims, Downing, Siavii, etc.. Surely, the odds alone would lead you to believe that one of of those guys could have developed into something decent with another franchise. Of all those players, only Allen broke the pattern and he wasn't even drafted as a down lineman.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

FAX

beach tribe
10-24-2008, 08:29 PM
You guys judging Dorsey right now are just silly.

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Wait till next year with all of our first round QB is a bust threads.

FAX
10-24-2008, 08:56 PM

I'm not judging Dorsey, Mr. beach tribe ... rather, the organization.

I fear for Dorsey's career now that he's being molded by this gang of tools.

FAX

TEX
10-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Not really. When it comes to the Chiefs and recent BUSTS, what you see early is usually what you get. Still, DT's usually need more time.

beach tribe
10-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm not judging Dorsey, Mr. beach tribe ... rather, the organization.

I fear for Dorsey's career now that he's being molded by this gang of tools.

FAX

I understand, and agree.

boogblaster
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Learing his position .. He'll get better .. Coaching would help too ....

Logical
10-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I think Gunther will make any DT seem like a bust. It is his scheme that does it. I won't judge Dorsey until Gunther is replaced.

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2008, 10:34 PM
We need Jim Schwartz as the next head coach of the Chiefs.

Logical
10-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Poor Dorsey. But, at least he's not a quarterback. Otherwise, he would be on the PUP, by now.

I am utterly convinced (until some actual facts and stuff prove otherwise) that all the defensive linemen we've drafted in the recent past couldn't have been unavoidable busts. It's a long list of failures including Wilkerson, Freeman, Sharpe, Long, Sims, Downing, Siavii, etc.. Surely, the odds alone would lead you to believe that one of of those guys could have developed into something decent with another franchise. Of all those players, only Allen broke the pattern and he wasn't even drafted as a down lineman.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

FAXYup shitty coaching and a shitty scheme that our shitty DC created.

B_Ambuehl
10-24-2008, 10:38 PM

No, that's not the criteria that's just an indicator. Just becuase his name is "Tank" and he's fat you guys are trying to put him in the same category as Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams, Vince Wilfork, and other 3-4 defensive nose tackles, but you'll have likely never watched him away from the action. He's not a 2-gapper by any stretch of the imagination. He doesn't hold up real well at the point of attack, but he can penetrate. His biggest asset is his quickness.

Gravedigger
10-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Our whole DLine needs to bulk up, the tackles need to be bigger and the ends need to either learn new skills in order to get around people, or they need to bulk up so they don't get pushed around.

HemiEd
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Without having read any of the thread, he is a very talented rookie working for a shitty coach in a shitty system.

chiefbowe82
10-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Without having read any of the thread, he is a very talented rookie working for a shitty coach in a shitty system.

whats wrong with the system

milkman
10-25-2008, 04:29 AM

KCJohnny has to be in the mix here.

broncobilly
10-25-2008, 05:08 AM
i think he sucks.

Bwana
10-25-2008, 06:43 AM
I have no problem with him at this point at all. How many DL are deal breakers their first year? I just want him to keep improving this year and live in the weight room in the off season. If he does those two things, I think we will see why we drafted him, next year.

Chief Faithful
10-25-2008, 06:53 AM

So did Niel Smith.

Bob Dole
10-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Bob Dole thinks that it's too early to be "evaluating" any of our rookies.

Chief Faithful
10-25-2008, 06:55 AM
From what I've seen Dorsey is going to be a top notch DT.

KCUnited
10-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Compared to the 1st DT taken off the board in '07.

Amobe Okoye

2007: 32 total, 5.5 sacks in 14 starts.
2008: 9 total, 0 sacks in 4 starts.

Glenn Dorsey

2008: 17 total, 0 sacks in 6 starts.