View Full Version : Football "Rash of positive steroid tests"

Brock
10-24-2008, 02:39 PM
BREAKING: "Rash of positive tests under [NFL's] Steroid Policy"
Oct 24, 2008 | 9:38 AM
Category: Sports

http://community.myfoxcolorado.com/blogs/Denvr_Sports_Insider

Report This Post
Featured On: MyFoxColorado There has been a “rash of positive tests under the steroid policy as a result of players taking water pills to lose weight," a highly-placed NFL source said.

The source told FOX 31’s Josina Anderson Friday morning that New Orleans Saints’ running back Deuce McAllister, and defensive end Will Smith were included in the web of positive tests.

“There are about six to ten overall positive tests. Three to four of them are from the Saints organization alone including McAllister and Smith.

The source told Anderson there were no Denver Broncos players that were a part of this group.

McAllister and Smith are in a group of players that have tested positive specifically for a diuretic known as Bumetanide. Some of the players in the group of six to ten tested positive for a different substance.

"Most of them tested positive for Bumetanide," said the league source. "The last few tested positive for another substance that works similarly.”

Experts at the Mayo Clinic describe Bumetanide as a drug belonging to a group of medicines called loop diuretics or “water pills.” Its uses include the treatment of fluid retention and swelling caused by medical conditions such as congestive heart failure, liver disease, and kidney disease.

However, the source told Anderson that Bumetanide has another use which makes it one of the NFL’s banned substances.

“[Bumetanide] can also mask the use of other drugs or steroids.”

Dr. Norman Smith, the lead physician at an internal medical practice in Maryland confirmed this assertion to Fox 31 Sports.

“Bumetanide makes you excrete a lot of salt and water. It dilutes the urine and makes it very difficult to test for illegal substances. There are some patients who use or abuse it where weight is critical,” Dr. Smith said.

Weight loss is the main reason the highly-placed league source identifies as to why this group of NFL players tested positive for this drug. “It seems to be clear that most of these players were doing it to cut weight.”

When the source was asked how they’re more confident these players used Bumetanide as a weight loss agent as opposed to a masking agent, the source replied, “I know that a few of these players have had weight issues.”

The source also suggested some of the players may not have known Bumetanide is on the NFL’s list of banned substances.

“I don’t think many of them are attempting to cheat, or even know it is on the list. We are talking big guys who have likely never seen a steroid in their life. My understanding of the steroid policy is that it was intended to catch cheaters or people using performance enhancing substances to gain a competitive edge. These guys don’t fall into that category,” said the source.

Regardless, all of the players in this group of positive tests, including McAllister and Smith, are subject to a suspension pending an appeal to the league. Under the NFL’s steroid policy, a player’s first positive test results in a four-game suspension.

Smith’s listed agent, Joel Segal, was not immediately available to comment. A representative for McAllister’s agent, Jim Steiner, said the agent would call back

Brock
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Better go pick up Pierre Thomas

Buck
10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
So does that mean They are going to be suspended this weekend?

If so, nice break for the bolts.

Silock
10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
LOL @ anyone who thinks 99.9999% of NFL players aren't on steroids.

Bowser
10-24-2008, 02:44 PM
How hard is it for these players to figure out what T.O. is on, and just take that?

El Jefe
10-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Ouch for the Saints.

KC_Connection
10-24-2008, 02:52 PM

LOL @ those who think they were using this pills just to lose weight.

Bumetanide is widely used as a masking agent by steroid users. It's a wonder that more of these guys aren't caught, when you think about it.

BigVE
10-24-2008, 02:53 PM

I'm sure there alot of them but I highly doubt it's anywhere near that high of a percentage.

Sure-Oz
10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm suprised Croyle isn't on this list as much as he breaks down!!!1111111111111111

Brock
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Report: Saints' McAllister, Smith violated NFL drug policy Story Highlights

At least 6-10 players reportedly have violated NFL doping policy

Saints vets Deuce McAllister and Will Smith among those players suspected

Neither the Saints nor the NFL commmented on the reports

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- New Orleans Saints veterans Deuce McAllister and Will Smith reportedly are among several players who have violated the NFL doping policy.

Fox 31 television in Denver, citing an unnamed source, reported on Friday there are six to 10 positive tests in the NFL for a weight-loss diuretic. The only names the station mentioned were the two Saints, who are in London for Sunday's game with the San Diego Chargers.

ESPN.com, citing two unnamed sources, reported the number was more than 10 and may exceed 15.

The NFL would not comment on the reports, but attorney David Cornwell told The Associated Press he has been hired to handle the appeals of a number of players who are facing possible suspensions.

Cornwell declined to identify any of his clients or say how many there were.

"These men are entitled to confidentiality and entitled to go through appeal process, so the (Fox 31) report ... is completely unfair," Cornwell said. "The cornerstone of any workplace testing program, especially one in professional sports with high-profile people, is confidentiality."

Saints spokesman Greg Bensel, who was with the team in London, said drug testing was a league matter and the team would have no immediate comment.

According to the NFL's policy, the first positive test results in a four-game suspension.

In August, New York Jets running back Jesse Chatman was suspended for four games for violating the league's drug policy. He said he tested for a diuretic -- "something I never even heard of" -- that could be used as a masking agent.

The Fox 31 report said three or four of the positive tests belonged to the Saints, and that McAllister and Smith tested positive for Bumetanide.

"Most of them tested positive for Bumetanide," Fox 31 quoted the person it identified as a league source. "The last few tested positive for another substance that works similarly."

Bumetanide, a "water pill," decreases the amount of water retained in the body by increasing urination. It causes the kidneys to get rid of unneeded water and salt from the body into the urine.

Diuretics also can be used as masking agents. When used in that capacity the diuretic dilutes the urine, which results in lower levels of the banned substance being excreted from the body. That can make it more difficult to detect banned substances.

Silock
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm sure there alot of them but I highly doubt it's anywhere near that high of a percentage.

You're right. It's probably more like 99.999% instead. I added an extra nine.

talastan
10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm suprised Croyle isn't on this list as much as he breaks down!!!1111111111111111

Several here probably wishes he was, at least then he would be showing he was trying!! ROFL

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2008, 04:05 PM
You're right. It's probably more like 99.999% instead. I added an extra nine.

Yep

Mecca
10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm going to guess most of the NFL and alot of pro athletes are on roids, I don't really care personally. There's alot of untrue steroid paranoia in this country.

Dylan
10-24-2008, 05:02 PM
ESPN.com, citing two unnamed sources, reported the number was more than 10 and may exceed 15.

:rolleyes: ESPNblogging.com

No byline/per ESPNblogging.com's lawyers.

Silock
10-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm going to guess most of the NFL and alot of pro athletes are on roids, I don't really care personally. There's alot of untrue steroid paranoia in this country.

While I agree with the steroid paranoia, my problem with it is that it's still against the rules. That makes it 1) unfair to the athletes that follow the rules, and 2) dishonest marketing.

Mecca
10-24-2008, 06:10 PM
While I agree with the steroid paranoia, my problem with it is that it's still against the rules. That makes it 1) unfair to the athletes that follow the rules, and 2) dishonest marketing.

It's just something I accept as a fan of sports, odds are a good number of them are doing things that are considered cheating.

RNR
10-24-2008, 06:16 PM
It's just something I accept as a fan of sports, odds are a good number of them are doing things that are considered cheating.

Problem is the teams we root for must suck at cheating!

Over-Head
10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Problem is the teams we root for must suck at cheating!ROFL

KCTitus
10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Im suprised Kevin Keitzman wasnt the first to report this...what, with his magic cell phone and all. Of course, that phone probably has a dead battery.

Coach
10-24-2008, 08:10 PM
So, I reckon there'll be a rash of suspensions eh?

JohnnyV13
10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
I suspect most of them are on HgH. As of now, they can't test for it, it increases muscle mass AND it helps you recover faster from a beating on Sunday. I think its naive to believe that most guys in the trenches and most RBs don't use it.

Hell, if I were Brodie Croyle I'd probably use it.

Hammock Parties
10-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I suspect most of them are on HgH. As of now, they can't test for it, it increases muscle mass AND it helps you recover faster from a beating on Sunday. I think its naive to believe that most guys in the trenches and most RBs don't use it.

Hell, if I were Brodie Croyle I'd probably use it.

Are there any harmful side effects?

Silock
10-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Your head grows. That's why you see a lot of pro athletes with braces. It spaces your teeth apart.

Thig Lyfe
10-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Will Smith, eh?

http://contessaconfessa.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/will-smith.jpg

GUILTY

JohnnyV13
10-25-2008, 12:38 AM

The biggest concern with HgH is that it can promote tumor growth if you have a tumor to begin with. Hence, if you have a latent cancer, it would grow faster than it would without HgH. The problem would be especially acute if you use it in mega doses. You could make a cancer hopeless because it will have already spread rapidly once you see symptoms.