PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ rookie corners don’t appear awed by Jets’ Favre

Tribal Warfare
10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Chiefs’ rookie corners don’t appear awed by Jets’ Favre (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/857621.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Last year, with veterans Ty Law and Patrick Surtain playing cornerback, the Chiefs were like wide-eyed rookies when it came time to play against Brett Favre.

This time, with rookies Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr at cornerback, the Chiefs are approaching their meeting with Favre as if they play against eventual Hall of Fame quarterbacks all the time.

Maybe it’s because Flowers and Carr started their NFL careers with a game against New England and Tom Brady. Perhaps it’s because, unlike last season when the Chiefs occupied first place when they played against Favre, they’re 1-5 and have bigger problems.

Maybe they’re just putting up a brave front. But whatever the reason, the prospect of playing against Favre, as the Chiefs will Sunday when they meet the Jets at the Meadowlands, hasn’t attracted attention in the Chiefs’ locker room the way it did last year.

“Maybe when I was young I would have been that way because he’s Brett Favre, but now you’re on the same level as him and we’re going out there to try to win a ballgame,” said Carr, a fifth-round draft pick from Grand Valley State. “You don’t worry that he’s a future Hall of Famer.”

The since-departed Law in particular was excited to play against Favre, then with Green Bay, last season. He played in Super Bowls and other big games, but he indicated that not having an interception of a Favre pass was a glaring hole in his resume.

Law said he would keep the ball and ask Favre to autograph it if he did make an interception, which he didn’t.

Fueled by Favre’s 60-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings, the Packers scored 20 fourth-quarter points and beat the Chiefs 33-22. Favre wound up throwing for 360 yards and two touchdowns.

It was his first win against the Chiefs in four tries.

Favre was traded to the Jets last summer. He’s third in the league in touchdown passes (13) but also second in interceptions (eight).

Surtain, who had one of the Chiefs’ two interceptions against Favre last year, had some advice for Flowers and Carr.

“Don’t read his eyes, because the guy has seen just about every defense and every player,” said Surtain, now the Chiefs’ third cornerback. “He’ll pump-fake you one way, probably throw the same way but look the other way. You can’t ever get a read on the guy.

“He’s going to take chances. With that being said, it’s an opportunity for us to make plays. First, we’ve got to make him throw the ball.”

That’s a comment aimed at the weakness of the run defense. The Chiefs have been so soft that they’ve rarely backed an opposing quarterback into a corner and forced him to throw.

Even if the Jets get off to a big early lead, as each of the Chiefs’ last two opponents have, it’s difficult to picture Favre, even at 38, spending most of the game handing off to running back Thomas Jones.

Despite proclamations from Flowers and Carr about this being just another game, coach Herm Edwards felt it necessary to warn the young cornerbacks.

“They’ve never seen him before,” Edwards said. “They’ve seen him on television. Now, they have to play against him. I’m pretty sure he’s licking his chops. I told them it’s OK to tackle him. It’s OK if they intercept a pass. He won’t get mad at you.”

Carr has his initial NFL interception, getting it in the Chiefs’ only win last month against Jay Cutler and Denver. Flowers, who doesn’t have one yet, thought Favre might be a good place for him to start.

“I’ll definitely cherish that ball,” he said. “My first interception and it’s against Brett Favre? You’ve got to keep that ball. And then if he would autograph it, that would be a great thing.”

boogblaster
10-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm not worried about our CBs its the Lbs and Safeties I'm concerned with ..

KCrockaholic
10-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Of course Teicher can make a statement like that before the game starts...after sunday, itll be "young corners cant handle 'legendary Favre' in loss sunday"

milkman
10-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Law said he would keep the ball and ask Favre to autograph it if he did make an interception, which he didn’t.

So this statement from Law means he was excited to play against Favre?

“I’ll definitely cherish that ball,” he said. “My first interception and it’s against Brett Favre? You’ve got to keep that ball. And then if he would autograph it, that would be a great thing.”

But this one doesn't mean the same thing from Flowers?

Am I missing something?

KCJohnny
10-25-2008, 06:15 AM
They don't have that much to worry about. Teams pass on the Chiefs when they get bored rushing for 300 yards. If I were the Chiefs DBs, I'd be real worried about Thomas Jones, not Bret Favre. I'll be shocked if Favre attempts 20 passes.

Bwana
10-25-2008, 06:47 AM
They don't have that much to worry about. Teams pass on the Chiefs when they get bored rushing for 300 yards. If I were the Chiefs DBs, I'd be real worried about Thomas Jones, not Bret Favre. I'll be shocked if Favre attempts 20 passes.

Valid point. If they can't stop the run, Favre won't have to throw many rockets down the field and I don't see them being able to shut down the run.

KCJohnny
10-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Valid point. If they can't stop the run, Favre won't have to throw many rockets down the field and I don't see them being able to shut down the run.

If I were TJ going against a team that averaged yielding 207 rushing yards a game, I'd be unable to sleep Saturday night, kinda like Christmas Eve, y'know?

Bwana
10-25-2008, 08:26 AM
If I were TJ going against a team that averaged yielding 207 rushing yards a game, I'd be unable to sleep Saturday night, kinda like Christmas Eve, y'know?

He likey has the same look that a wolf has when it first sees a wounded elk. The outcome is relatively predictable.

The Franchise
10-25-2008, 09:11 AM
“They’ve never seen him before,” Edwards said. “They’ve seen him on television. Now, they have to play against him. I’m pretty sure he’s licking his chops. I told them it’s OK to tackle him. It’s OK if they intercept a pass. He won’t get mad at you.”

What the fuck Herm? Are you serious? God you need to get fired.

Reerun_KC
10-25-2008, 09:12 AM

What the **** Herm? Are you serious? God you need to get fired.

Herm makes me proud to wear Red and Gold on sundays!