PDA

View Full Version : Computers DSL Modem recommendations?

Lzen
10-30-2008, 07:49 AM
My modem has been acting flaky as of late. Just kicks off for no apparent reason and sometimes doesn't come back on for 30-45 minutes. I am on ATT DSL and at this time plan to remain on that.

Talked to ATT last night and tried to get those bastards to send me a new modem. They say that the modem is mine. I said it was theirs. They said I paid for it. WTF??? Ok, I was annoyed enough that I thought about going to Cox and their Roadrunner service, but they are more expensive and I don't like that. So, it looks like I have to buy a new modem. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a new modem?

BTW, I talked to a tech a few minutes later. He tweaked some of my settings and said that might get me by for a little while. But he still recommended that I buy a Motorola 2210. He also said that I would have to put it in bridge mode if I bought one of those. I take it that all the newer modems will be like that?

My current configuration is a Speedstream 5340 modem and it is about 6 years old. So yeah, I am sure it is beyond its normal life expectancy. I also have a Linksys WRT 54GL wireless router.

Mr. Plow
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Not sure what Cox charges up in Topeka, but I get high speed for $24/month. In the 7 years I've had Cox, I have had 1 MAYBE 2 outages. The 1 lasted an hour because some idiot shorted out a power supply.

I may be biased, but I avoid AT&T like a fat woman avoids vegetables.

Lzen
10-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Where are you located? I checked out Cox's website last night and they have a special where you get 6 months at $20 a month and they give you a modem. But then it goes to $45 a month. That seems kind of high to me.

I am not sure at this point what I am going to do. We have been considering dropping our land phone line. It may be more cost effective to go with Cox if we drop the land line. I guess that is assuming that ATT won't allow us to have DSL without a phone line. Of course, they also charge $5/month on Dish Network if you don't have your receiver hooked to a phone line. It's one big ole scam, I tell ya.

Lzen
10-30-2008, 08:32 AM
I was thinking of getting one of these. They are cheap and seem to be pretty good. would just use them in bridge mode.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ES67PA/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000EU10S2/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

10-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Where are you located? I checked out Cox's website last night and they have a special where you get 6 months at $20 a month and they give you a modem. But then it goes to $45 a month. That seems kind of high to me.

I am not sure at this point what I am going to do. We have been considering dropping our land phone line. It may be more cost effective to go with Cox if we drop the land line. I guess that is assuming that ATT won't allow us to have DSL without a phone line. Of course, they also charge $5/month on Dish Network if you don't have your receiver hooked to a phone line. It's one big ole scam, I tell ya. I am not impressed with the fees of the Cox phone service. It seems just as high as a regular land line. If Vonage ever starts including the 785 area code, i would probably make the switch to Cox.

Internent is insanely high priced either way though. I am paying 25 bucks per month for 1.5mbps through ATT and the same would cost 27 bucks through Cox but they have said it is not a popular service level and they may drop it altogether. I think $45 per month is outright stupid for internent access.

Lzen
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I am not impressed with the fees of the Cox phone service. It seems just as high as a regular land line. If Vonage ever starts including the 785 area code, i would probably make the switch to Cox.

Internent is insanely high priced either way though. I am paying 25 bucks per month for 1.5mbps through ATT and the same would cost 27 bucks through Cox but they have said it is not a popular service level and they may drop it altogether. I think $45 per month is outright stupid for internent access.

I was not talking about doing phone service through Cox. I am pretty happy with my ATT cell phone service. Just signed up for another 2 years. It's just that I have a cell, my wife has one, my 15 year old has one, and now even my 12 year old has one. Seems that we have enough cell phones around the house that a land line is not really necessary. I would like to just be able to drop the land line altogether.

Mr. Plow
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm down in Hutchinson. The $45 a month -at least here - is for the high speed internet with "power boost."

I'm just using the standard cable internet.....more than fast enough for me.

10-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I was not talking about doing phone service through Cox. I am pretty happy with my ATT cell phone service. Just signed up for another 2 years. It's just that I have a cell, my wife has one, my 15 year old has one, and now even my 12 year old has one. Seems that we have enough cell phones around the house that a land line is not really necessary. I would like to just be able to drop the land line altogether. I would hate to see your cell bill. Damn.

Demonpenz
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I get annoyed as hell hearing land lines ring. Wait I get annoyed anytime a phones ringtone doesn't involve the final countdown

10-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Cell phone plans just haven't gotten to a level that they are worth replacing the land line for. I see no need to have both.

We have a Net10 phone for when we are out of town but that is it.

anyway, hijack over.

don't know what to tell you about a good DSL modem. I am still using my original speedstream as well.

Lzen
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I would hate to see your cell bill. Damn.

With our plan, it's shared minutes. 1 phone plan and then $10 a month for each additional phone. We also pay the $20 or $30 for unlimited texting. Good thing thing about ATT is that it doesn't count towards our minutes when we call other people who are on ATT. Plus, the rollover minutes are nice.

Lzen
10-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Cell phone plans just haven't gotten to a level that they are worth replacing the land line for. I see no need to have both.

We have a Net10 phone for when we are out of town but that is it.

anyway, hijack over.

don't know what to tell you about a good DSL modem. I am still using my original speedstream as well.

It is nice to be able to keep track of the teenagers. ;)

10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
It is nice to be able to keep track of the teenagers. ;) Until they start giving their phone to a friend to make it look like there are somewhere they aren't. Of course, it only takes them getting caught once.

Lzen
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Until they start giving their phone to a friend to make it look like there are somewhere they aren't. Of course, it only takes them getting caught once.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Of course, he is so attached to that thing that I don't think he would want to do that. ROFL Besides, I could always just call him and talk to him. ;)

10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Of course, he is so attached to that thing that I don't think he would want to do that. ROFL Besides, I could always just call him and talk to him. ;)

that would probably be one of my main rules. If you are not within arms length of your phone when I call, you are grounded. heh I wonder if call forwarding would defeat that as well though. Hmmmm

Lzen
10-30-2008, 01:58 PM
that would probably be one of my main rules. If you are not within arms length of your phone when I call, you are grounded. heh I wonder if call forwarding would defeat that as well though. Hmmmm
Probably. I could always enable the GPS locator feature. :evil:

10-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Probably. I could always enable the GPS locator feature. :evil:That was the feature I was mentioning earlier where they could just have the phone somewhere they are not. Like at a friends house.

Kids are too smart. heh

StcChief
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
modem it self. My Westell is fine. no problems.

Lzen
10-31-2008, 07:36 AM
I just went ahead and got a modem from ATT. Theirs is no more ($50 - actually less than most) than others out there. Plus, I don't really need the kind of modem most places offer nowadays. I only need a modem, not a modem/wireless AP. They are giving me a $20 Visa gift card to help offset the cost of the modem. So, at least that's a little something. I will just be glad to get rid of the disconnects.