PDA

View Full Version : Misc Skill? The Hand of God? Luck? A combination of the 3? Simply Amazing

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XRCbkBfdBrQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XRCbkBfdBrQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Donger
10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Very good thrust to weight ratio.

Demonpenz
10-30-2008, 04:07 PM
you can get enough left with the back aleron SP? to do atleast. There was an f-15 that it's entire wing blown off and the dude made it home in iraq

Buck
10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Fake, is more like it.

L.A. Chieffan
10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah I saw that on Star Wars Episode III

FAX
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Holy crap. That is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Unbelievable. Fantastic. Spectacular. Scary as heck.

FAX

Demonpenz
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I think that is a video game though because of the way the camera follows the plane while landing

Donger
10-30-2008, 04:10 PM
you can get enough left with the back aleron SP? to do atleast. There was an f-15 that it's entire wing blown off and the dude made it home in iraq

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lvEGohPmxk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lvEGohPmxk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KCCHIEFS27
10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
wow..extremely fake.

Tribal Warfare
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
That is one bad motherfuckin pilot

notorious
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
B S

Not Possible and obviously looks fake at the end

notorious
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't think that that aircraft has a thrust to weight ratio to pull that off. P factor, centrifugal force and an enormous load being put the vertical stabilizer, no way Jose.

An F-15 has over 50,000 lbs of thrust and and the ability to adjust engine thrust to balance out the amount of lift being created by the remaining wing allow it to do what it did.

Still had me going at first, though LOL!

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, thats real...

MIAdragon
10-30-2008, 04:26 PM

It was an Israeli F-15 involved in a mid-air collision

jiveturkey
10-30-2008, 04:26 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lvEGohPmxk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lvEGohPmxk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>Why would an F-15 have a tail hook?

The Franchise
10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
That was fake as shit.

Donger
10-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Viral marketing: http://www.killathrill.com/killaworlds/kw3.action

Reaper16
10-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Looked like CGI to me.

Donger
10-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Why would an F-15 have a tail hook?

Sounds like the Israelis like having arresting gear on their runways for safety.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think that that aircraft has a thrust to weight ratio to pull that off. P factor, centrifugal force and an enormous load being put the vertical stabilizer, no way Jose.

An F-15 has over 50,000 lbs of thrust and and the ability to adjust engine thrust to balance out the amount of lift being created by the remaining wing allow it to do what it did.

Still had me going at first, though LOL!

Very good notorious, P factor only applies to propeller driven aircraft, it is a result of the downward blades creating more thrust (or lift, all the prop is a wing) that the blade that is swinging upwards, therefore causing a left turning tendency in the plane... That follows along the line of the centrifugal force, or what we call gryoscopic precession, spiraling slipstream and torgue all play a factor in the propeller powered airplanes.

The F-15 is a centerline thrust airplane, it does not have turning tendencies when it loses an engine. Yes it has enough thrust to weight ratio to take off, climb and land with a single engine...

IF you need some aeronautical information, just ask.
</EMBED>

Otter
Physics doesn't allow force to be absorbed such as it did in that landing.

Reerun_KC
Why would an F-15 have a tail hook?

All f-15, f-16's and so forth have tail hooks for emergency landings....

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
The reason why this isnt possible is the airplane wouldnt be able to maintain lift. It would go into a graveyard spiral and straight down. No way you could regain any control to give any positive lift.. The plane would tightly spin into the wing that is not generating lift. IE the missing wing. Nor would you be able to maintain directional control with any rudder control, the vertical stabalizer would be worthless at that point. You couldnt stop the spin.

Skip Towne
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
All f-15, f-16's and so forth have tail hooks for emergency landings....

Our F-100's back in 1965 had tailhooks.

Donger
10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
The reason why this isnt possible is the airplane wouldnt be able to maintain lift. It would go into a graveyard spiral and straight down. No way you could regain any control to give any positive lift.. The plane would tightly spin into the wing that is not generating lift. IE the missing wing. Nor would you be able to maintain directional control with any rudder control, the vertical stabalizer would be worthless at that point. You couldnt stop the spin.

Wrong!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOBB_-gZFNo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOBB_-gZFNo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Long Duk Dong
10-30-2008, 05:16 PM
fake fake fake.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Wrong!

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOBB_-gZFNo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>
:D okay, you got me...

wanna go up in the cessna 152 with me and test this theory?

Donger
10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
</P>
:D okay, you got me...

wanna go up in the cessna 152 with me and test this theory?

Will you wind up the rubber band really well first?

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Will you wind up the rubber band really well first?

Oh yeah... It is a blast spinning that little plane....

Skip Towne
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I've seen old WWII films where B-17's get a wing shot off. They immediately go into a spin (and a dive)

Donger
10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
I've seen old WWII films where B-17's get a wing shot off. They immediately go into a spin (and a dive)

The F-15 fuselage produces a lot of lift. A B-17's fuselage does not. And since the engines (and propellers) are on the wings, losing one means a sudden and dramatic loss of both lift and thrust = bad.

Donger
10-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah... It is a blast spinning that little plane....

I prefer planes with ratios near 1:1.

Donger
10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Here's what happens when some goober drops his bombs on you:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLNESDqoZS4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLNESDqoZS4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

About 35 seconds in.

JuicesFlowing
10-30-2008, 05:59 PM
You almost had me until i watched the end.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
The F-15 fuselage produces a lot of lift. A B-17's fuselage does not. And since the engines (and propellers) are on the wings, losing one means a sudden and dramatic loss of both lift and thrust = bad.

The wing will still continue to create lift as long as there is enough relative wind going over the wing, the biggest problem when the engine become inop, your right, you loose thrust, but you increase your drag and load ratio on that wing. So now your wing has to support more weight with less wind going over the airfoil. Weight will be greater than lift, therefore that wing will dip. But the b-17 and other bigger piston prop planes have a centerline thrust with them.. meaning they dont have a critical engine. IF you lose one engine the plane will still fly straight with very little turning tendencies.

4 forces that act on an airplane during flight. Thrust, Drag, Lift and Weight... When they are all equal, the airplane is in equalibrium. When one is greater than the other, well you can figure out what will happen.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 06:01 PM
I prefer planes with ratios near 1:1.

Hey it has a 100 HP, only takes 20 minutes to get to 5000 ft. ROFL

dont worry you only loose 700 feet or so during a sping maneaver...

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 06:04 PM

One last thing, Those fuselages of the fighters and such really dont produce that much lift, hence the greater thrust to wieght ratio. If you look at airfoils, the swept wing design creates less lift than most airfoils and the reason is they cant generate that much lift and maintain supersonic speeds.. IF they had the ability to generate that much lift, it would great tons of drag at high speeds.

You know I charge for this kind of information.... Just so you know...

Donger
10-30-2008, 07:08 PM
The wing will still continue to create lift as long as there is enough relative wind going over the wing, the biggest problem when the engine become inop, your right, you loose thrust, but you increase your drag and load ratio on that wing. So now your wing has to support more weight with less wind going over the airfoil. Weight will be greater than lift, therefore that wing will dip. But the b-17 and other bigger piston prop planes have a centerline thrust with them.. meaning they dont have a critical engine. IF you lose one engine the plane will still fly straight with very little turning tendencies.

4 forces that act on an airplane during flight. Thrust, Drag, Lift and Weight... When they are all equal, the airplane is in equalibrium. When one is greater than the other, well you can figure out what will happen.

If the wing is no longer attached to the fuselage, whether or not it is still producing lift is rather moot.

Donger
10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
One last thing, Those fuselages of the fighters and such really dont produce that much lift, hence the greater thrust to wieght ratio. If you look at airfoils, the swept wing design creates less lift than most airfoils and the reason is they cant generate that much lift and maintain supersonic speeds.. IF they had the ability to generate that much lift, it would great tons of drag at high speeds.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the F-14 and F-15 fuselages generated ~25% of the lift.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
If the wing is no longer attached to the fuselage, whether or not it is still producing lift is rather moot.

Good point....:D

notorious
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Always nice to run into another pilot, Reerun. By the depth of your knowledge and understanding of the subject, I assume you have a lot of time, perhaps you are even an instructor?

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Always nice to run into another pilot, Reerun. By the depth of your knowledge and understanding of the subject, I assume you have a lot of time, perhaps you are even an instructor?

Your a pilot? Nice!

Yes, I am a CFI, Commercial ASEL/AMEL and SIC Type BeechJet 400A....

Plus I am finishing a BS in Aviation... have one semester left! Thank GOD, I am sick of school!

Going to finish my CFII next spring, then get a ATP ASEL and AMEL next year just for giggles...

notorious
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Yep, they discovered this when they were trying to break the speed of sound. You had to create an airfoil with a lot of sweep to counteract the effect of the shockwave and cut down on drag. In other words, the airfoil on a figher aircraft is designed for high speeds, and the smaller the airfoil, the less drag, hence a lot of fighters from the 50's-60's look like a rocket. With better engineering, more powerful engines, and much stronger materials you can construct fighters like the F-15, Mig 29, Su 27 and Su 35, and not have to give up much speed.

Quesadilla Joe
10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROFL

notorious
10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Your a pilot? Nice!

Yes, I am a CFI, Commercial ASEL/AMEL and SIC Type BeechJet 400A....

Plus I am finishing a BS in Aviation... have one semester left! Thank GOD, I am sick of school!

Going to finish my CFII next spring, then get a ATP ASEL and AMEL next year just for giggles...

I graduated from Spartan back in Sept 2001, got hired at OSU in Stillwater to instruct until two airplanes flew into the WTC on my first day of work. I then transfered to Dodge City (strictly for family and job) where I instructed, and 135 chartered for the last 7 years. I now fly for a couple of doctors here in town and a company out of Guymon and Amarillo.

I currently have my MEI, CFII, and would have my Gold Seal 3 times over (if I applied for it), with about 4000 Total Time.

I am jealous of you type rating in the Beech 400.

Rain Man
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I may be looking for a pilot soon. Maybe you guys can send me your resumes.

Actually, that's a lie. I just always wanted to say it.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the F-14 and F-15 fuselages generated ~25% of the lift.

You figure that a transsonic airfoils and also the supersonic airfoils have a low camber to reduce over all drag on the wing. 25% of lift really inst that much, which is why those fighters cant really fly slow. They cant generate the air over the wings, they will quickly exceed the critical angle of attack and aerodynamically stall..

But if you look at the old B-17 and Cessas they have a Laminar Airfoil design which increases the lift coefficent. They can fly slower, heavier with less power than a transsonic airfoil...

Yes the transsonic airfoil can carry alot of weight, but it needs alot of thrust which generates a massive amount of relative wind to support that load.

Rain Man
10-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I thought that was more a function of wing area and aspect ratio. Small aspect ratios generate a lot less lift.

notorious
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I may be looking for a pilot soon. Maybe you guys can send me your resumes.

Actually, that's a lie. I just always wanted to say it.

It still blows my mind how much my clients will spend to fly somewhere to have lunch and shop. Recently I have been flying a doctor's wife to Wichita for half-hour acupuncture appointments twice a week. They just use a Cherokee 6, but it is still crazy.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
It still blows my mind how much my clients will spend to fly somewhere to have lunch and shop. Recently I have been flying a doctor's wife to Wichita for half-hour acupuncture appointments twice a week. They just use a Cherokee 6, but it is still crazy.

Check your PM's

Reerun_KC
10-30-2008, 07:56 PM

True, we run to Bedford Ma once or twice a week so the owner can watch his daughter play lacrosse at Yale....

Buehler445
10-30-2008, 09:24 PM
ROFL I gotta get me some money so I can have reerun tote me around the country.

Bi_polar
10-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Faux

TinyEvel
10-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Obviously, you guys have found my "Golden Eagles III" teaser viral vid.

Available Fall 2009 ONLY on PlayStation 3

"Test Your Limits"

Pitt Gorilla
10-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Simpsons did it.

jidar
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
this is the most real video I've ever seen.

Mr. Laz
10-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Looked like CGI to me.

this